Star Wars on Blu-ray in 2011

Guest sh002

So which versions of these films are going to get converted to 3D and re-released in the cinema??

Kind of a silly question, isn't it? What's worse is that they are the same transfers, and you lose resolution going to 3D. 720p 3D Star Wars on the big screen anyone?

So which versions of these films are going to get converted to 3D and re-released in the cinema??

As far as I know they will all be released that way. I can't even imagine the amount of money this little toy line has generated.

But honestly 'Taks, you and I know that the movie that TRULY deserves the 3D treatment is Inception. Seeing Marion Cotillard in 3D would be worth the price of admission alone, lol...

But honestly 'Taks, you and I know that the movie that TRULY deserves the 3D treatment is Inception. Seeing Marion Cotillard in 3D would be worth the price of admission alone, lol...

Inception_1233021a.jpg

I have no idea of what you are talking about........ :D :D :D

I'm really hoping Lucas will have LFL finished the SFX on the extended arena battle/air-ground-combat/droid control ship in AOTC. There is some really good stuff in there. Conehead and Plo Koon start with at least a dozen but are down to half that when they shut down the droids but then the droids turn back on and gun down the rest excepting the two Council members. The "hya!" chic is seen dead on the arena floor with vacant eyes facing the camera. See some more of the named Jedi with figures doing some of their thing, too. And some cool 'interactive' battle animatics (Jedi gets gunned down by a droideka and then another jedi takes out the droideka, etc). Combined with the stuff I remember from the AOTC DVD (flying Geonosians, more clones going down, etc) they could make that battle so much more epic.

A couple of the scenes in the Order 66 animatics were great, too and worthy of finishing and being inserted in. The face-tatted apprentice from AOTC surrounded by droids then her own walker guns her down and then steps on her. :lol: ouch! :D And the dreadlock guy from the comics got roasted by the walker in front of him when it turns it's turret around and blasts him point blank.

The Spielberg directed animatic of the Obi-wan/Grevious chase on Utapau was crazy. A bit TOO long. They could cut out that fanblade stuff but I was surprised at all the collateral damage. Obi-wan's lizard seemed like it took out a dozen of his own clones throughout the chase. I laughed out loud when Grevious was doing a burnout with that bike and sending pieces of clone at Obi-wan including a complete torso but with only partial arms/legs. :D

Watched Phantom Menace today. For the worst looking film in the set, it sitll blows the DVD away by leaps. The sound is also just as awesome as advertised.

Hell yeah. I watched all of Phantom Menace. It's not perfect, but PQ is really really good. The audio is simply unmatched. Best use of surrounds I can recall. Very active all the way around if you have a 6.1 or 7.1 track and I had my Denon thundering at -24db. Friend came over and said he could hear it from the street. :D

I then went through the deleted scenes on the original trilogy bonus disc and near the entire prequel trilogy bonus disc. Lots of good stuff there which I commented some of before. I really like the original concept of the Yoda/Sidious duel in the Senate better especially the different ending but the pan seeing all the destruction at the end was great.

No! resist the dark side you must! Otherwise it will dominate your destiny.

Ha ha. I was looking for improved audio and video, and according to Uxi and Keith that's where this set delivers. Everything else that everyone's griping about TRULY bugs the midichlorians out of me but the increased theater performance will, in my eyes, compensate for those awkward moments where...I probably won't be able to share this set with anyone else outside of MW :wacko:

How dare him! Seriously, though PQ is fine. Could it better? Probably... I suspect the real issue is a consistent look and matching the digital cameras on II and III with the film look on I, IV, V, and VI. The DNR and softening in TPM appears to be deliberate in an attempt to unify the PT. Pushing the envelope and all that is one thing but consistency should have had him using film the whole time.

How dare him! Seriously, though PQ is fine. Could it better? Probably... I suspect the real issue is a consistent look and matching the digital cameras on II and III with the film look on I, IV, V, and VI. The DNR and softening in TPM appears to be deliberate in an attempt to unify the PT. Pushing the envelope and all that is one thing but consistency should have had him using film the whole time.

Not probably, definitely. They shouldn't be "matched," they should preserve the original look.

Not probably, definitely. They shouldn't be "matched," they should preserve the original look.

That's a creative decision and just like the edits, not your call.

Just finished AOTC. Wow. My ears are ringing a bit from the battle. That movie started slow but ended great on a high, that's for sure. For some reason, I wasn't cringing at the romance this time. Maybe I'm just used to it but didn't seem as implausible as it used to. Was there an alternation/addition to the scene when they land on Tatooine and the camera keeps panning?

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3894/starwarscollection.html

A thorough review of the Blu's, with an in-depth analysis of the video.

Nice review...its good to see mention of "good" changes vs. the "bad" changes we already knew about.

Also like that he rated Revenge of the Sith and Empire as the two best from the set. Why? Because those are my two favorites. :p

-b.

Going in my favorites were: VI, III, I, II, V, IV

I'll be starting ROTS in a bit, but plan to be through the set on one full viewing by tomorrow night. Then start doing them again with the commentaries, which sound great but I've only listened to snippets of so far.

You know what... for almost half off, I'll do it. Amazon has it for $80, which if I think of it as a Blu-ray pack of the prequels and bonus materials, that's not a bad deal. I wouldn't mind seeing the prequels spruced up a bit. Individual movies would be $20+, and I don't mind paying another $20 for the bonus features.

I'll just re-pack my original DVD cuts of the OT in the nice shiny new box, sell off the OT BR discs, and be done with it. ^_^

Also like that he rated Revenge of the Sith and Empire as the two best from the set. Why? Because those are my two favorites. :p

-b.

They are my favorites as well. I now furrow my brow as much as I can at work...

You know what... for almost half off, I'll do it. Amazon has it for $80, which if I think of it as a Blu-ray pack of the prequels and bonus materials, that's not a bad deal. I wouldn't mind seeing the prequels spruced up a bit. Individual movies would be $20+, and I don't mind paying another $20 for the bonus features.

I'll just re-pack my original DVD cuts of the OT in the nice shiny new box, sell off the OT BR discs, and be done with it. ^_^

Keep the bonus disc. Empire of Dreams didn't come over in HD in the BD set unfortunately.

I don't know what you're on about, Star Wars II was clearly the best Star Wars film. Mother F*cking Ricardo Montalbán man.

Seconded, especially the bit where they put the eels in the ears!!!

Edited by taksraven

Thirded, but I raise your eels with, and I quote, "KHANNN!!!"

"KHANNN!!!" is pretty good, but "Ship....out of danger?" is heartbreakingly good.

Such a good film. The most successful film at emulating the original series.