Star Wars on Blu-ray in 2011

Guest sh002

I'm going to step in after having finished ROTJ to say that the changes that everyone has been lamenting weren't so bad. For example, if no one had mentioned the Ewok blinking-thing I never would have even noticed it; IMO the way it was rendered looked natural to me and it certainly would to anyone except the pickiest of fans. Besides, the Ewoks are a moot point when Carrie Fisher is looking pretty. What other changes were there? Probably a lot, but again they weren't enough to detract from the experience.

Question for those of you who have watched ROTJ: does Vader initially say "No" as a question? Lol, it sounded like he says "No?" and then the more melodramatic "NO!" takes place when he finally tosses Palpatine. That whole bit was....peculiar but it wasn't the deal breaker that people including myself were saying before I managed to pick the set up and actually experience it.

System specs just for the hell of it: 52" rear projection, PS3 via HDMI, JVC receiver with 7.1 and DTS, etc. Nothing special but the movies shined anyway; I might get an LED or a plasma screen and possibly update my speakers later.

I've been watching 24 from start to finish the last few months, I'm going to mix that up with SW b-ray for a while...

Outside of my growing desire for extended special editions, this set couldn't have done more to fulfill my expectations. Picture and sound are great and befitting blu-ray. I think that if you had a decent setup and gave this set a chance, you could enjoy it, too. Is it the ultimate set

Well, this is where you and I will never agree: I won't accept, nor will I buy, any further special edition releases--it doesn't matter how good the transfer is on them. I do hold out some hope that the 35mm prints of the trilogy that some fans have been able to get their hands on will see a successful transfer and restoration. The main problem is these have to be done privately, because no company will touch these prints.

is far more in keeping with how Anakin was presented in the prequels.

That is the problem. The prequals stunk, if anything THEY should get redone, by a competant film maker. (ROTJ is pretty dreadful too though, so if he has to mess with one of the original trilogy that would cause the least harm)

That is the problem. The prequals stunk, if anything THEY should get redone, by a competant film maker. (ROTJ is pretty dreadful too though, so if he has to mess with one of the original trilogy that would cause the least harm)

Ah, RotJ, the sole "mixed bag" of the Original Trilogy. For every cool thing like the speederbike chase and the epic space battle, you had Ewoks littering all over the place.

oh sure. I agree. but it is what it is. No amount of fan complaining is going to change that.

Dare I say adding in the "nooo" makes complete sense. Every other SW film has a cry of "nooo," Jedi is the odd one out without it.

Makes sense, it just sounded weird, especially if it's voiced like "NO?" as if he's asking a question. I probably just heard it wrong-I was simultaneously browsing my Erica Campbell picture collection and was completely distracted...

Dare I say adding in the "nooo" makes complete sense. Every other SW film has a cry of "nooo," Jedi is the odd one out without it.

But Luke did the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" in the first two SW Film.

I guess using this logic, we should cut to Han Solo on Endor saying, "I have a bad feeling about this." Then cut back to Vader picking up the Emperor, and Luke screaming his "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO", because he knows his father is going to die saving his crybaby son from the Emperor. Then maybe, at that point, Vader can realize this too, and scream, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" knowing he just killed himself. And the Emperor screams "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" knowing he's about to to be thrown into the Death Star laser pit thingie. Cut back to Endor, where Leia get shot in the arm, and she screams, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" cause it hurts like a mutha fu<ka getting shot in the shoulder from a laser blaster. Cut to Han seeing her get shot, and he screams "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Then, do a split screen, where all five characters yell "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" This is how Jedi needs to end. Screw Wedge blowing up the death star. Screw the ewoks celebration. Just everyone yelling "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

But Luke did the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" in the first two SW Film.

I guess using this logic, we should cut to Han Solo on Endor saying, "I have a bad feeling about this." Then cut back to Vader picking up the Emperor, and Luke screaming his "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO", because he knows his father is going to die saving his crybaby son from the Emperor. Then maybe, at that point, Vader can realize this too, and scream, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" knowing he just killed himself. And the Emperor screams "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" knowing he's about to to be thrown into the Death Star laser pit thingie. Cut back to Endor, where Leia get shot in the arm, and she screams, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" cause it hurts like a mutha fu<ka getting shot in the shoulder from a laser blaster. Cut to Han seeing her get shot, and he screams "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Then, do a split screen, where all five characters yell "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" This is how Jedi needs to end. Screw Wedge blowing up the death star. Screw the ewoks celebration. Just everyone yelling "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

No.

^_^

I really don't mind it that much. I would probably lean on preferring it not there but it didn't bother me at all in a full viewing. The timing and execution was good, at least.

What exactly should Vader have said when the Emperor tells him his wife is dead?

Exactly. But I don't like the changes to the end of ROTJ. Anyway, I just bought the box for I,II,III - I won't have time to watch them for a couple of weeks though, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the battle of Geonosis & above Coruscant in HD.

All you anti-"NOOOOO!" people,

What exactly should Vader have said when the Emperor tells him his wife is dead?

His wife dies? "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Ha ha! :lol:

I think show don't tell works well in most circumstances. Let the actors, act. They don't always need to say their emotions. Show it. We'll get it. Watch the first moments of Brad Pitt's reaction in Se7en when he sees the contents of the box Kevin Spacey sent him. Works just as well. Even better perhaps.

The "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" in Episode three doesn't bother me as much as the Jedi added on "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Sure, I guess it works, if you are trying to force feed the emotion to the audience. But watch the original cut vs the new cut, and I promise you, the original cut, without the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" is much, much more powerful.

Food for thought. Just an opinion, and it takes different strokes to move the world.

It all boils down that George never figured out that parallels and symmetry can be effective except when you bludgeon the audience over the head with them. :rolleyes:

Makes sense, it just sounded weird, especially if it's voiced like "NO?" as if he's asking a question. I probably just heard it wrong-I was simultaneously browsing my Erica Campbell picture collection and was completely distracted...

Who is Erica Campbell??

It all boils down that George never figured out that parallels and symmetry can be effective except when you bludgeon the audience over the head with them. :rolleyes:

No no, it's just that George is stubborn, very very stubborn. Case 1, Jar Jar, universally despised but George insists he is important to the story so he sticks around - but gets so few lines that he might as well not be there (but whoever said that Jar Jar was the only one who could introduce the Empire legislation is a genious...). Now when Vader's pitiful cry of NOooooooooo is roundly thrashed as being stupid - and the ruin of a great character, George has to "salvage" it by sticking the line in another movie to add symmetry...

If that "No" had been more forceful, angry, and menacing, THEN it would have been a great line, but noooooooo.......

If that "No" had been more forceful, angry, and menacing, THEN it would have been a great line, but noooooooo.......

Sounded anguished to me. Which sounds appropriate after being gimped into a quadruple amputee in a walking iron lung AND having lost his wife and child (as far as he knows to that point). Rage would come after.