Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Macross

Save

I don't know much about modelling... Which type of glue should I use for parts in sprues while adding them to 1/3000 SDF-1?

I just used everyday Testors plastic model glue...you know...the orange tube..

hint: use a toothpick to apply it to your piece and then glue the piece on. Have a pair of small needlenose pliers handy as well. Also, depending on the piece, you might want to apply the glue directly to the model instead of the piece itself. Makes it easier on some parts.

Edited by derex3592

I just used plain old white glue. A lot of the pieces fit in really well with a lot of friction holding them in. A lot of the pieces I also want to be somewhat removable if I ever need to disassemble the toy for any reason (they cover the screws). Also they are gluing dissimilar materials, some ABS, some POM, some styrene - so model glue only works on styrene and its permanent.

Finally i got mine today!!!

For the people who's trying to get it late,

AmiAmi : 26790 yen (17% off) - temporary sold out + EMS shipping to US about 4700 yen

HLJ : 27880 yen (15% off) - backordered + EMS shipping to US(20% off) 3760 yen

Hobby Search 27880 yen (15% off) - Looks like they have it in stock now - ? Shipping

Otacute : $288.90 - backordered + ? shipping - still taking orders, but can't guarantee it.

Anime-Export 29520 yen (10% off) -in stock + shipping to US 4700 yen - it was 17% off until recently, but they changed the price after other places got sold out.

Personally, If i were late anyways, I would wait for 2nd shipment rather than paying more to get it sooner. After all, it's very expensive toy and it's Yamato. They will make more.

So far, AmiAmi and HLJ cost about the same thanks to HLJ's 20% EMS discount.

Or you can wait for HLJ's next Yamato sale if you're patient type.

Happy SDF-1 hunting!

Edited by kyekye

finally they arrived yesterday....opened and checked the box and found out what took so long:

DSC_0090.jpg

They even checked the inside:

DSC_0089.jpg

Kudos to Ami Ami for the packaging

FDS.jpg

After opening it and take it out of the tight styro foam box like everyone said, I felt excited.. all that hard work has paid off. Having displayed it in cruiser mode and staring at it.. seriously this is one of the precious items in my collection, next to its big brother of course. Having dodged the takatoku's a while back due to price and finally having a awesome sdf to oogle at feels nice.

Now I'm just contemplating if I should pick up a few more when the stock is back in Ami Ami. TV version mode if definitely a go if produced.

Hi all:

Quite a few people have questioned on how to take apart the 1/3000 SDF-1 toy to get access to the city, so that they can repaint it.

The 1/3000 SDF-1 toy is actually assemble together the same as the 1/2000 SDF-1 prototype. Therefore, I have taken pictures of the construction manual, and added it to the "1/2000 SDF-1 Customised" thread (P.5) as another reference.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33243&st=140#entry890466

Hope it helps.

Hi all. Got mine in on Thursday, and boy was it a pain to get it out of the box. I had to open both ends of the box and puch it out, but I was like a child when first laid eyes on it. I was so eager to get it out, I got the plastic snagged on the antenna(wish I had time to read Grahams review beforehand). I mus say the box was intimidating at first when I got, as I opened it up a co-worker mentioned it looked like Mighty Maid from Space Balls, I told him, Mel Brooks got the idea from watching Macross. The two dissappointments I have with the toy other than the price is the sprues and no decal sheet.

One as I stated earlier is that I wish I ahd read Grahams review on the day I got it just to have a heads up once I opened it, those little buggers got on my nerves trying to get on as each piece kept popping off and landing somewhere I couldn't see beacause of clumsy big fingers and a not so reliable tweezers. I had one piece once I placed it on one of the cannons literaly popped off in the air and landed somwhere on my bed. Now mind you I searched all over my bed for one tiny grey piece on a white blanket and never realized it somehow landed in my --- pocket. That really baffeled me on how that happened. Then came the pieces for the shoulders, I had successfully placed the two on the left shoulder but the other two corner pieces would not go in at all. they weren't mold to that screw hole correctly I may have to glue them later with some moldeling glue. And last was that one panel on the main body that will never stay in, that one too popped off in the air, and was lucky to find it without getting frustrated, except for trying to get it back in with no success, so I taped it on to be glued on later. Plus there was no decal sheet to put the numbers 01 and 02 on both the ARMD Carriers. Is someone going to be commisioned to custom make decals for this, I liked to know.

Tranforming it was a little hard since I don't understand Japanese text I had to go by the pictures, with success, though I do believe that there should have been an extra extension between the rotating joint and the elbow joint allowing a full 90 degree bend just like in the movie. Overall it's a great buy, and my account and my sister is screaming at me, because of piss poor planning because I got lazy and forgot to put away money for it on my Paypal account, I didn't have enough money to pay for repairs on my pain in the ass car.

100_0336.jpg

100_0337.jpg

100_0339.jpg

100_0341.jpg

100_0342.jpg

100_0345.jpg

More to come later check out the 1/72 1/60 1/48 collection thread.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

But the DYRL SDF-1 doesn't have all these stripes...

EXACTLY. Giant decals would look horrible on this thing. It needs very small subtle decals if any...refer to the excellent 1:2000 custom thread. I for one am GLAD they didn't include any stickers. And could you IMAGINE the whining, moaning that would be going on if they had included water slide decals with this thing???? ;)

I would have cheered waterslide decals. At least an "01" and an "02" for the ARMDs.

agreed! I need some of those. Anyway--had a chance to do some panel lining/detailing on this thing this weekend...not finished yet, but here's a few pics up to this point....the more detail you add to this thing, the better it looks! :o

post-11393-129459688828_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129459689897_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129459691318_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129459691968_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129459692653_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129459693271_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129459693854_thumb.jpg

post-11393-129459694676_thumb.jpg

IM glad this is selling well

Here's hoping to A TRU TV version of the SDF-1. Still waiting on the rest of the destroids

G-Man. Did you ever ask your contacts at yamato if they would ever do a commander type Zentradi POD. That would be My WHITE Whale. As a kid I really loved that thing

Edited by Snail00

More pics of the Macross, this time in Storm Attacker Mode. Before I poseted these pics on my photobucket account I took a look a look at the picture on the box and it occurred to me that main gun tips were long and the ones on my ship weern't. Didn't occur to me that they had to be pulled out, they did not show that in the manual.

100_0369.jpg

100_0370.jpg

100_0372.jpg

100_0373.jpg

100_0383.jpg

100_0384.jpg

finally they arrived yesterday....opened and checked the box and found out what took so long:

DSC_0090.jpg

They even checked the inside:

DSC_0089.jpg

Kudos to Ami Ami for the packaging

FDS.jpg

After opening it and take it out of the tight styro foam box like everyone said, I felt excited.. all that hard work has paid off. Having displayed it in cruiser mode and staring at it.. seriously this is one of the precious items in my collection, next to its big brother of course. Having dodged the takatoku's a while back due to price and finally having a awesome sdf to oogle at feels nice.

Now I'm just contemplating if I should pick up a few more when the stock is back in Ami Ami. TV version mode if definitely a go if produced.

Glad you got yours,sorry it took long maybe it's the area you live in where customs are more strict. I had no problem with mine getting to me I sent payment for it back ine late December cleared one 2nd and it came in on January 5.

Finally picked mine up today. It arrived Friday but I missed it at home and it was not yet at the post office when I went there with my slip. :angry:. Anyway I love this toy and the Sprue pieces where actually pretty easy to assemble. Had to use some plastic cement on some to keep them in but they where not hard to put in at all and only took about 1 hour.

Note mine did arrive with a defect. The piece on the left arm that attaches to the ARMD (magnet piece). Everything was fine until I swiveled the arm on the attachment piece and it popped off at the joint!:ph34r: Thank Jebus that there is a screw right in the elbow that lets you easily take the forearm apart.^_^ Reassembled it back in and notice that when twisting the piece it was forcing the seems apart, which allowed it to pop out. Screw was tight so I figured it most have something to do with how it is seated in the joint. Played with it a bit more and managed to find the correct seating position so that it does not do this again.....whew^_^.....well it's right as rain for now.... :ph34r:.......:lol:

Like I said I love this toy but feel a bit underwhelmed by it at the same time. Everything about it is great but for the over $300 dollar price tag I just wish it did......well more. Super easy to transform once you have done it once and it appears to be pretty sturdy.

Maybe a sound effects stand or something and some lighting like you see on the new battleship Yamato releases.