Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Macross

Save

I just started futzing with mine. My fingers are sore from attaching the ARMDs last night. There had to be a better way that could have been handled.

I know what you mean. Ideally, they shouldn't have put the guide rails for the attachment from end to end, but rather leave off enough to put the arm in place against eh ARMD and then slide it in sideways. I suppose it could be modded by sanding off a bit of the railings at the opposite end.

I know what you mean. Ideally, they shouldn't have put the guide rails for the attachment from end to end, but rather leave off enough to put the arm in place against eh ARMD and then slide it in sideways. I suppose it could be modded by sanding off a bit of the railings at the opposite end.

but the position of the ARMD varies from mode to mode. I think a better solution would have been for the back of the ARMD to fold in and allow for a more traditional male/female coupling with a hidden release.

Since it's like a billion dollar toy, maybe they could have made it so you push down on the array that sticks up on the ARMD and then a mechanism lifts the guides ever so slightly. Then you would attach the ARMD and take your finger off that bump and the guides would extend all the way again locking it in its channel.

but the position of the ARMD varies from mode to mode. I think a better solution would have been for the back of the ARMD to fold in and allow for a more traditional male/female coupling with a hidden release.

Ah, that's true, I forgot about that. I still don't know what the magnet is for.

Ah, that's true, I forgot about that. I still don't know what the magnet is for.

I think it's just to create some tension so that the ARMD holds it's position and doesn't slide over to one end or another.

Honestly, I can live without making the connection all complicated. It's easy enough to pop on and off if you do it from the ends and it doesn't get taken on or off enough to make a big fuss about it.

Edited by eugimon

Yours must have been a bit easier to manage than mine was. I was attacking it from the edge and applying far more might than I feel safe with for a toy of this expense. Every time it didn't snap into place I felt I was risking danger to the shoulder guns or the bridge antennae as I man-handled it. I'm hoping subsequent pop ons and off will go a smidge easier now that its lost its virginity. It really does make the magnets seem very superfluous given the grip those guides have. I wonder if that whole area is a function of the prototype not having as strong of ridges so the ARMD popped on and off easier than they felt happy with so the magnet was employed to help keep it together whilst not being concerned about the effort it'd take to install the ARMDs.

Another question, did anyone elses look like it was covered in tiny shards of glass when they opened the styrofoam? I only noticed it around the bridge so I suspect it was caused by the antenna rubbing against the top of the styrofoam and sort of skinning that material. I probably should have taken a picture but since it's just an oddity and not anything wrong I just whooshed the toy around once and was done with it.

Edited by jenius

Yours must have been a bit easier to manage than mine was. I was attacking it from the edge and applying far more might than I feel safe with for a toy of this expense. Every time it didn't snap into place I felt I was risking danger to the shoulder guns or the bridge antennae as I man-handled it. I'm hoping subsequent pop ons and off will go a smidge easier now that its lost its virginity. It really does make the magnets seem very superfluous given the grip those guides have. I wonder if that whole area is a function of the prototype not having as strong of ridges so the ARMD popped on and off easier than they felt happy with so the magnet was employed to help keep it together whilst not being concerned about the effort it'd take to install the ARMDs.

Another question, did anyone elses look like it was covered in tiny shards of glass when they opened the styrofoam? I only noticed it around the bridge so I suspect it was caused by the antenna rubbing against the top of the styrofoam and sort of skinning that material. I probably should have taken a picture but since it's just an oddity and not anything wrong I just whooshed the toy around once and was done with it.

I don't have this SDF-1, but this issue has happened to me with the Toynami MPC Beta fighters. There are styrofoam inserts to insure the edges of the box don't get smashed in shipping. The type of styrofoam Toynami uses leaves this sheet of broken glass look on the box. It's easy enough to clean up from a box, but off an elaborate toy such as the SDF-1? I'd use an air can.

Probably just a less expensive material.

Edited by ae_productions

Defiantly easier to hook them up and take them off from the left or right ends of the ARMDS

In my best Adam Sandler voice...this would have been useful THREE WEEKS AGO!!!

Hope Yamato gets the idea that this toy is sold out at least partly because the reviews are good, the shoulders are not exploding out of the box, the joints hold their poses and position and things sit flush (not like my YF-22's #$@#in^!! belly plates).

Or the plethora of v2 1:60's with any number of issues.

It might be too late because HLJ has them listed as back ordered, but you fear mongers pushed me over the edge and I put in for one. You are all a bunch of enablers...

Perhaps I should just sign over my paychecks directly to Yamato and save myself the hassle of pretending to manage my finances.

They have mortgage programs like that. Your entire paycheck goes to the bank and you just buy things using their credit card, but your balance is drawn against your mortgage but you're only paying the 4-5% versus 17-22% of most credit cards.

Given how much yamato's cost, this might be a viable financing option for some of us.

It might be too late because HLJ has them listed as back ordered, but you fear mongers pushed me over the edge and I put in for one. You are all a bunch of enablers...

Perhaps I should just sign over my paychecks directly to Yamato and save myself the hassle of pretending to manage my finances.

Chill and wait for the inevitable re-issue. Or better still, Ver 1.1 with stand.

and mini valk set.

and couple of 1:3000 HWR Monsters to pose on deck

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

Hi Graham,

Could you please tell Yamato that some people (like me) are ready for buying conversion parts such as Prometheus and Daedalus :lol: for their DYRL SDF-1 in order make it looks like the SDF-1 in Macross The First

Reference image:

28m8pj.jpg

Edited by charger69

Relax Yamato will milk the mold. I used to think of that on their 1/48, 1/60 v2 armored etc etc. I think 50% of their production line is geared to Macross so dont worry mate

SDF-1 is getting so many votes over at Collection DX that I am starting to think I am silly for sticking to the "no capital ships" principle

EDIT: Oh! that "The First" scan is so full of pretty Regults!! I wish Yamato would make a toy of of the 1/60 kit set...and price it a bit more lighter on the pocket. That's just me thinking loud.

Edited by regult

Well here's mine. I just added paint so I don't think it's worthy of a new custom thread. I wanted the detail to pop out from just looking at it normally. I could barely see the detail on the bridge and have almost broken an antenna, so going to stay away from that area as much as possible.

post-10971-129564408361_thumb.jpg post-10971-129564409903_thumb.jpg post-10971-12956441092_thumb.jpg post-10971-129564411981_thumb.jpg post-10971-129564413885_thumb.jpg post-10971-129564414747_thumb.jpg post-10971-129564416015_thumb.jpg post-10971-12956449536_thumb.jpg

Edited by Negotiator

Hi Graham,

Could you please tell Yamato that some people (like me) are ready for buying conversion parts such as Prometheus and Daedalus :lol: for their DYRL SDF-1 in order make it looks like the SDF-1 in Macross The First

Reference image:

28m8pj.jpg

Has there been an official color pic of the Macross The First SDF-1 released anywhere? Wonder if the colors are more movie-like or TV-like?

I would assume the paint scheme for the Prometheus and Daedalus would remain the same....who knows...they have taken many liberties on the paint and designs for other mecha on MTF.... :rolleyes:

Here is my attempt for color coding sheet for Prometheus and Daedalus Conversion Pack for DYRL SDF-1

34q0i6o.jpg

2469avt.jpg

Pros:

ARMDs are attached to the body by magnets allowing a conversion pack for SDF-1 "The First"

The money charged for this conversion Pack can allow Yamato to invest more on SDF-1 TV Ver.

Also by producing Prometheus and Daedalus beforehand the unit cost of these two units will be smaller in case of a future release of SDF-1 TV Ver.

Cons:

Not available :D

Reference Images from: collectiondx, anymoon.com, macross mecha manual and gamu-toys

Edited by charger69

Cons:

Not available :D

the cons are that such a conversion will in all likelyhood be:

a) an online exclusive

b) expensive as hell

c) unpainted

d) expensive as f*ck (on top of already having to pay full price for a DYRL SDF-1)

overall, DO NOT WANT.

if they're going to do a Daedalus and Prometheus just release a "Macross the First" edition.

Also your colors are wrong. The the deck surface should be much darker and more of a teal color than the blue on the ARMD's and the upper hull color should be a dark gray closer to the dark blue-gray on the SDF-1's legs/main body. the Red form the GX-57 is close enough though.

Edited by anime52k8

b) expensive as hell

d) expensive as f*ck (on top of already having to pay full price for a DYRL SDF-1)

Also your colors are wrong. The the deck surface should be much darker and more of a teal color than the blue on the ARMD's and the upper hull color should be a dark gray closer to the dark blue-gray on the SDF-1's legs/main body. the Red form the GX-57 is close enough though.

You've counted expensive twice! :D

ARMD's Blue will blend better with the rest of the SDF-1 DYRL IMO

I'm OK with your opinion on dark blue-gray upper hull color.

I'm still not totally convinced to pick it up. I mean I already got one SDF1 from WAVE, not too sure how I can justify getting another one that's 3x the cost, even if it's 2x the size and a lot more detailed.

I guess I'll think about it if hlj ever have the thing available again on their site.

Well here's mine. I just added paint so I don't think it's worthy of a new custom thread. I wanted the detail to pop out from just looking at it normally. I could barely see the detail on the bridge and have almost broken an antenna, so going to stay away from that area as much as possible.

post-10971-129564408361_thumb.jpg post-10971-129564409903_thumb.jpg post-10971-12956441092_thumb.jpg post-10971-129564411981_thumb.jpg post-10971-129564413885_thumb.jpg post-10971-129564414747_thumb.jpg post-10971-129564416015_thumb.jpg post-10971-12956449536_thumb.jpg

Great job!

The colors really help bring out the details, but maybe a bit too much. You might want to tone the colors down with a light weathering job.

That is very NICE. Wow Amazing what a little panel lining and some paint accents can do.

Getting harder to resist getting one.

And that is WITHOUT shipping! Ouch!

I want one of these so bad. But the price is just hard to get past right now.

Wow I still paid less, $410 total from HLJ using fed-ex

Edited by Murphy