Is Tv show Fringe any good?

My friend is letting me borrow Fringe Season 1 for the holidays. I like JJ Abrams' other shows like Alias and Lost, and have heard many compare Fringe to X-Files (X-files is one of my all-time fav shows btw). Anyway just wanted some thoughts from those who watch it regularly. Am I going to be rushing to watch Season 2 before Season 3 starts in the fall? Is Season 2 better than Season 1? In other words, is the show getting better as it goes along unlike others(ie Heroes)? Any thoughts would be grand...

yeah im abig fan of X-files,and Fringe is a great show imo, bit different to X-files tho since it deals with more scientific brain and dimension theory's Fringe science. but a great show and quite interesting. plus dunham is hot and walter has some golden moments.

I just want to say that the similarities between X-files and Fringe are pretty surface stuff only. X-files was a conspiracy show that wrapped itself up in supernatural and sci-fi phenomena but the heart of the show was all about paranoia and conspiracy, paranoia and isolation versus trust and loyalty. Fringe is not a conspiracy show, it's a mystery show so the feel of the show is really quite different from X-files.

The show gets better. It starts off as a monster of the week type show but once the show starts to get into its own mythology it gets pretty good.

personally, I think the monster of the week setup is one of the better aspects of the show. There's definitely a lot of interesting background and a really good overarching story, but I like that I can enjoy any given episode by itself as well as part of the whole series.

The show has a good mix of suspense, interesting characters, and good production values; and the metastory is always good for a surprise or two, and then some. I never felt betrayed by a cheap plot twist (helloo Flashback), and it's amazing to see how much gore they can put into a family programme today.

The first half dozen episodes, I thought, were terrible, the actors clearly hadn't figured out their parts, the father trying to speak 'Scientist" as though it were an accent he could put on to make you think he was a genius, the main character's ability to get permission to do literally anything, no matter how dangerous or stupid in a moment's notice, it was too much so I bailed on the show.

Then a year later all my friends were watching it telling me how cool it got. So I borrowed the DVD's suffered through the first few episodes again, and then the show sort of took off for me. by the end of the first season I was in to it and couldn't wait for more.

So I'd say if you give it a chance, make sure you get to the end of the first season because the first few spisodes in my opinion were victims of the cast and crew still developing their show and style.

Got a lot better towards the last episodes. My favorite episode 'White Tulip' is the one with Peter Weller . If you can find that episode then give it a try, but I think you might need to watch a couple of eps. before that because it's kinda tied in. Aside for that I think the 2 main leads are miscast. I'm not a big fan of Anna Torv. But John Noble as Walter Bishop is excellent.

Hate Fringe here.

But I admit I didn't give it much of a chance. Only seen 3 episodes or so.

Yeah, that first half season is complete garbage. I don't blame you for not liking the show if that is all you've seen. But if you like sci-fi mystery type stuff, it's worth picking up from near the end of season 1 and on. Even Pacey isn't as annoying once they stop trying to cram down your throat how "smart" he is.

Our household really likes Fringe with all the "mystery" and ongoing plot lines (I don't particularly watch it, just like I wasn't a big X-Files fan) and was able to pick them up Season 1 DVD at Best Buy earlier this year for like $15.

Fringe is one of the few shows I sometimes go out of my way to make sure I watch. It's not the greatest thing I've ever seen on tv but I like the balance between self contained and overall plot episodes. I also like Joshua Jackson (he was in movies not just Dawson's Creek lol) so I'm sure that helps.

I'd have to agree the series doesn't really get rolling initially so it does take some investment of your time.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

being a sissy myself (ahem...), how would you guys rate the gore content of this show? My stomach kinda churned at the sight of blood...ngeeeeee!

the episode on tonight featured a midget's head exploding. make of that what you will.

the episode on tonight featured a midget's head exploding. make of that what you will.

I've had sinus pressure headaches like that, before.

That shot did strike me as unusually gory, even by Fringe standards. It was right up there with the airplane scene from the premiere, just shorter.

• 1 year later...

Dunno if anyone else still watches... but the show has been renewed for a fifth and final season with 13 more episodes....

I'm still digging it, but I'm wondering if it'll pull a Lost/X Files type ending... one where no one knew how the hell to end it.

I'm still in enjoying the show but the last episode was quite the head scratcher. I mean they jump forward in time 24 years for one episode, an now they're going right back to business as usuall the next week. That's some pretty big plot development to dangle out there and then not imidiatly fallow up on.

I wonder if last week's episode was an attempt at pulling a B5 4th season "here's what happens later in case we don't get our last season." Regardless, I think they should be able to pull off a decent end to this show without going all X-File FUBAR at the end. I'm actually glad they've decided to wrap it up, as the dual universe story can only go so far, especially considering they've already re-written the primary timeline.