So they're actually making the SNES Classic a reality! I've been a little out of touch lately, but last I heard it was only a rumor. Very cool!

Even though I've already got the physical carts to over half the games, it's still tempting if only for Star Fox 2 and Earthbound. Plus more kid friendly than swapping cartridges in a Retron 5.

On 6/24/2017 at 9:39 PM, ScrambledValkyrie said:

I only ever had (and beat) the first one. I actually still have my original boxed copy, along with a few other boxed NES games that somehow were tucked away in a closet at my parents house until just last year. The original Ninja Gaiden was hard, but not as bad as something like Castlevania III -- that is a whole 'nother level of hair-pulling. Though it both games, it's totally a matter of having (and not losing) just the right sub-weapon.

I don't remember Castlevania III being that difficult. I think the Dracula X PSP remake twist was more frustrating than anything in Castlevania III. But that can be because it was on PSP too. Which is the main reason I don't get shooters on that system as I'm scared I'll forget it's a delicate handheld and toss it across the room. Probably taking my speakers with it.

I love Castlevania though. I got the Simon statue from First 4 Figures. I'm looking forward to Bloodstained since Konami doesn't seem to know what they are doing anymore.

11 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

STAR FOX 2!!!!!!!!!!

That's the only thing I'm curious about. I need to read up on the wiki but I don't recall if that was finished. The original game is a classic. I remember playing a contest in toy stores and holding the top score for a while.

Edited by JetJockey

On 6/26/2017 at 0:36 PM, davidwhangchoi said:

STAR FOX 2!!!!!!!!!!

The SNES classic was an easy pass for me, until I saw this. I played the leaked beta and liked the direction the game was going, but didn't think it would ever be finished. Has there ever been a situation where an incomplete game was actually finished (not remade) two decades later? I tip my hat to Nintendo for remembering Starfox 2; they'll be getting my money for sure.

Star Fox for the SNES  is one of my all time favorite games, and I played the beta on an emulator years ago. This SNES Classic is a must buy for me. I just hope adding other games to it is as easy as it was to the NES Classic, so I can add Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat II and Chrono Trigger, just to name a few. 

22 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

The SNES classic was an easy pass for me, until I saw this. I played the leaked beta and liked the direction the game was going, but didn't think it would ever be finished. Has there ever been a situation where an incomplete game was actually finished (not remade) two decades later? I tip my hat to Nintendo for remembering Starfox 2; they'll be getting my money for sure.

Actually, it was finished at the time and unreleased. Either due to concerns the Super Nintendo would compete with the Ultra 64(as it was known then) or fears people would compare it to the Playstation's 3D(I know, so stupid.

On 5/28/2017 at 0:02 AM, mikeszekely said:

How hard have you been hunting/how bad did you want one?  I have one, already set up to soft install a custom firmware with a couple of emulators.  Haven't touched it since my daughter was born, though, and I could probably be persuaded to part with it.

Hey Mike S. got your psp go in the mail today. Thanks again for the awesome system!:wub::wub:

2 hours ago, JB0 said:

Actually, it was finished at the time and unreleased. Either due to concerns the Super Nintendo would compete with the Ultra 64(as it was known then) or fears people would compare it to the Playstation's 3D(I know, so stupid.

That's interesting, I had always assumed that the leaked beta was the furtherst that Star Fox 2 had made it along. I'm astonished that Nintendo was sitting on a 100% completed copy all this time.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty dumb to cancel it. But then I read that there was still serious animosity between Nintendo and Sony concerning the cancellation of the Nintendo Playstation, so with that in mind, it makes sense that Nintendo was worried about their 3D being compared to Sony's Playstation.

thanks to Mike S. i'm enjoying the psp go to play ps1 games via 240p over a sony BVM

here's the complete items required:

psp go

psp go cradle

psp 1000/3000 power supply

psp go component cable (with BNC adaptors)

ps3 controller

WfxZPU6h.png

1B6pyQg.jpg

prbnoQth.jpg

uL7zzneh.jpg

a2e1Qs1h.jpg

S0WUsyDh.jpg

the scanlines are beautiful :wub::wub:

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I really hope this isn't a problem to find or get. I just want it for Starfox 2. It would be insane if Nintendo doesn't make enough of these to satisfy demand.

12 minutes ago, JetJockey said:

I really hope this isn't a problem to find or get. I just want it for Starfox 2. It would be insane if Nintendo doesn't make enough of these to satisfy demand.

Scalpers will buy millions of them. They will never appear at retail no matter how many Nintendo makes. You are doomed.

18 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Don't worry if you can't find a mini snes on launch, I'm sure someone will crack one open and put the starfox 2 rom up so you won't miss out.

19 hours ago, JetJockey said:

It'll probably be cheaper to buy a real SNES, and the games you want, than the MiniSNES' scalp-rate...

6 hours ago, dizman said:

Don't worry if you can't find a mini snes on launch, I'm sure someone will crack one open and put the starfox 2 rom up so you won't miss out.

That is my assumption, especially given how fast the MiNES was broken.  Hopefully Nintendo didn't learn their lesson, or learned the WRONG lesson, now that there's something ACTUALLY WORTH DUMPING.

5 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

It'll probably be cheaper to buy a real SNES, and the games you want, than the MiniSNES' scalp-rate...

Trufax: I own over half the games on the thing. (11/21)

On 7/3/2017 at 1:01 AM, JB0 said:

Scalpers will buy millions of them. They will never appear at retail no matter how many Nintendo makes. You are doomed.

I was thinking about going to a nearby Target a half hour or so early to line up. I'm doubtful of Amazon pre-orders whenever that happens. If it's one per person/account/address I don't see how scalpers could get them.

On 7/3/2017 at 8:39 PM, David Hingtgen said:

19 hours ago, JB0 said:

Trufax: I own over half the games on the thing. (11/21)

13 of 21 for me if you count all the SNES games I've owned. But 9 of 21 if you count the games I still own.

I sold Street Fighter 2 Turbo as I never liked that game. I don't know why I purchased it. I remember the old days when arcades put mod chips into SF2 Champion games to get the characters to do stupid stuff and move faster. I didn't like the idea of an official version and liked the real upgrade of Super Street Fighter 2 a lot more.

I think I sold Super Punch Out but I have to get that one again. I know I sold Donkey Kong Country. I liked the music and graphics but hated the whole secret areas you had to find at times by jumping to your death. I think Donkey Kong Country 2 is a far better game in every way, I think I own the soundtrack to the game.

I'm an old school Mega Man fan but thought the series wasn't getting better and stopped playing after part 5 and I didn't like the X version. Nor Mega Man 7 on SNES for that matter. I probably should have kept both longer as I believe they are worth a bit now. The last Mega Man game I really liked was Part 8. I want to play Parts 9 and 10 though. But I'm not ready at the moment.

The guys on Neogaf noticed that the "Last Gamer" updated his setup but is changing it yet again. I haven't watched the full video yet but saved it to see how he wired everything up. My first thought is that it looks too much like a game store. Which honestly is how too many collections look when they decide to get everything and try to display it all.

One thing I don't get is the need to have full game collections. You see that around the Internet. People even getting every release version of the same game. When I was young I was able to get the games I wanted. But passed on many titles that I didn't want. And later on I sold titles that I got but didn't like. I hated the sound of the balloon popping in NES Balloon Fight. Sold it. And I despised Deadly Towers. That's one of the worst games ever with a misleading cover that makes it look like it will be as good as Castlevania. No way I could own that just for a complete collection. That game made me doubt the Nintendo Seal of Quality and question anything that Broderbund would release.

There are some games I missed that I still need to get and boxes that I want to get again. Plus a few arcade titles that I've been close to getting and locating. But complete collecting just isn't for me thankfully.

Edited by JetJockey

3 hours ago, JetJockey said:

13 of 21 for me if you count all the SNES games I've owned. But 9 of 21 if you count the games I still own.

Only games I own currently. I used to own Earthbound, but traded it away like the pile of crap it is.

The guys on Neogaf noticed that the "Last Gamer" updated his setup but is changing it yet again. I haven't watched the full video yet but saved it to see how he wired everything up. My first thought is that it looks too much like a game store. Which honestly is how too many collections look when they decide to get everything and try to display it all.

Man, that isn't a game room. That's a museum.

Personally, I think anything you don't intend to leave hooked up doesn't count, because it becomes a big production any time you want to use it. With that large a collection, if you're actually using any of it the room will rapidly start looking like a video arcade.

One thing I don't get is the need to have full game collections. You see that around the Internet. People even getting every release version of the same game. When I was young I was able to get the games I wanted. But passed on many titles that I didn't want. And later on I sold titles that I got but didn't like. I hated the sound of the balloon popping in NES Balloon Fight. Sold it. And I despised Deadly Towers. That's one of the worst games ever with a misleading cover that makes it look like it will be as good as Castlevania. No way I could own that just for a complete collection. That game made me doubt the Nintendo Seal of Quality and question anything that Broderbund would release.

There are some games I missed that I still need to get and boxes that I want to get again. Plus a few arcade titles that I've been close to getting and locating. But complete collecting just isn't for me thankfully.

The complete collection nonsense is just collectors doing what collectors do: hoarding stuff for the sake of having it. Though there seems to be a fair bit of mean-spirited "I have something you don't have" that permeates the Nintendo collecting community.

Only things I could imagine gathering a full set for is systems with small libraries, like the Vectrex or Virtual Boy. Maybe the Game.Com, but that'd mean that I had to play a Game.Com. 

If the system's library gets much larger than a dozen games it rapidly becomes just a big headache.

Edited by JB0

On 7/5/2017 at 2:00 AM, JB0 said:

Man, that isn't a game room. That's a museum.

Personally, I think anything you don't intend to leave hooked up doesn't count, because it becomes a big production any time you want to use it. With that large a collection, if you're actually using any of it the room will rapidly start looking like a video arcade.

The complete collection nonsense is just collectors doing what collectors do: hoarding stuff for the sake of having it. Though there seems to be a fair bit of mean-spirited "I have something you don't have" that permeates the Nintendo collecting community.

Only things I could imagine gathering a full set for is systems with small libraries, like the Vectrex or Virtual Boy. Maybe the Game.Com, but that'd mean that I had to play a Game.Com. 

If the system's library gets much larger than a dozen games it rapidly becomes just a big headache.

I watched the full video and I think it does come off as a museum but in a good way. The guy loves videogames and I guess his goal is to have a full representation for as many systems as he can get. Even if it's both Mega Drive and Genesis collections and more. His large collection does look better than any other I've seen on youtube in terms of the presentation and cleanliness of it. I can't wait to see what he updates the collection to next since he's changing it again since it seems to be growing at a rapid pace. And I didn't see how he had his portable systems setup. But the majority of everything else seemed ready to play.

The best for me though is what many seem to do with shrines to certain series or favorite games. Even though still I can't get all games in a series because they always seem to have duds or side versions that I'm not interested in.

I had a Vectrex but don't know what happened to it. That was the old days of videogames. I'm pretty sure I started to hate it as I remember always finding it on it's side. I never even played Virtual Boy. Or I can't remember playing it. I think I saw it in Toys R Us and just thought it was a Gameboy like system. And I really don't like portable systems that much. I only have a few portables myself. I might have to get another Gameboy just for Bionic Commando though. I lost that game but I think it was ok. And I love the NES game.

Edited by JetJockey

15 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

This is totally rad: a new Genesis/MD game is coming, and it's a beat-em-up to boot!

Oddly enough I just put my Genesis/CD/32X back online and have been playing a lot of Streets of Rage.  I guess this is the next step?

Just stumbled on this video in my YT feed, it's a fascinating examination of a DOOM II lan party 1v1 and the online community surrounding it. The video itself could be an interesting view of the future of recording the history of online gaming communities (or I'm just looking too much into things:lol:).

Edited by dizman
quick video edit

On 7/9/2017 at 10:00 PM, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Have you checked out the fanmade SoR Remake? I think the latest version now is 5.1, and I cannot recommend it enough for fellow SoR fans.

I thought Sega shut that down. I remember everyone jumping on it when it was first released. I need to check the version that I have.

But stuff like that is why I barely even support Sega anymore. I can't remember the last game I purchased from them. Probably Virtua Fighter 4 or something. They let fans finish a game then gave their bored lawyers something to do. Too bad Sega couldn't make the game. Although I did see a cancelled, I think third party reboot that didn't look good at all some time ago.

4 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I thought Sega shut that down. I remember everyone jumping on it when it was first released. I need to check the version that I have.

Sega did put the kibosh on Bombergames, the group who spent 7+ years on the game, from distributing it on their site for free.  However, there are still other sites that offer the download.

I got 5.0 running, but I have still yet to try 5.1.  I think 5.1 includes an extension of Adam's story, which I really want to try.

I managed to get a preorder for the SNES mini in at a local toy store since I had no chance ordering it from Amazon. Will see if they are able to secure enough stock when it's gonna be released. But I guess the chance of buying it potentially is better than not buying it at all. ^_^

That's probably going to be a no on the Atari for me. What I would get is an ultimate version of the Nintendo DS that plays GBA and DS games. I always thought they could do a bit better than the DS Lite for the GBA but never did. I guess they did make the GBA player add-on. But I was waiting on a better and bigger portable screen for GBA.