• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone besides me bugged by the transparent red Castlevania cartridge?  Even accepting that it is not representing the video game(the marginally-legible label DOES carry a Netflix rather than Konami logo), it is still goofy.

The NESflix interface was cute, though I really wish they had updated it from the 2015 version of the software. The Nintendo can do better, and to be frank, this DESERVED better than quarter-screen cyan and white(what is this, IBM CGA?).

Am I focusing on the wrong things here?

Well, I'm about 11 years late to the party but I picked up a PSP.  Well, two of them actually, a 1000 and a 3000 series model.  So far I've got Gradius Collection, Afterburner for games with Macross Frontier on the way.  I really want Parodius but it's just too expensive.  Oddly enough I have about a half dozen UMD movies already.  Any of you guys ever get into the PSP or maybe still mess around with it?  

Edited by myk

Huh yeah I guess the PSP would be considered retro now. I haven't used mine in a few years but it was my go to system when I was on the go back in the day. Definitely recommend picking up Macross Triangle (or Ultimate) Frontier, Gundam Battle Universe, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker and the Metal Slug Anthology.

5 hours ago, myk said:

Well, I'm about 11 years late to the party but I picked up a PSP.  Well, two of them actually, a 1000 and a 3000 series model.  So far I've got Gradius Collection, Afterburner for games with Macross Frontier on the way.  I really want Parodius but it's just too expensive.  Oddly enough I have about a half dozen UMD movies already.  Any of you guys ever get into the PSP or maybe still mess around with it?  

I bought one at launch. I've sunk an obscene number of hours into the Gundam Battle series, and there were a handful of other games I liked and would recommend, but generally speaking I was more into the DS. I think it has/had a better library on the whole.

4 minutes ago, JB0 said:

You're in for a treat. It's not Macross 2036(what is?), but 's still a pretty good shooter.

Scramble Valkyrie!  That and Gundam Wing: Endless Duel were some of the first games I played on an emulator (ZSNES), and my first taste of import gaming.

4 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

i want a psp go! for retrogaming been hunting for one:

How hard have you been hunting/how bad did you want one?  I have one, already set up to soft install a custom firmware with a couple of emulators.  Haven't touched it since my daughter was born, though, and I could probably be persuaded to part with it.

I *loved* Scrambled Valkyrie.  Still one of the all-time best SNES soundtracks I've heard.   Modded my SNES just for that game.    There's no official difficulty setting, but it's very much:

Easy mode: use Max

Hard mode: use Milia

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

I *loved* Scrambled Valkyrie.  Still one of the all-time best SNES soundtracks I've heard.   Modded my SNES just for that game.    There's no official difficulty setting, but it's very much:

Pretty much spot-on with the difficulties. Max has a freaking homing laser, after all. And I don't even remember his F-mode weapon because B-mode was so useful. *boots game* Ah, a spread gun. The boringest of useful weapons.

Hikaru requires you to actually AIM, but he still hits a good region, and deals a lot more damage. And Milia will do ungodly amounts of damage if you're aiming carefully, but the cost of a mistake is much harsher.

But... there IS a difficulty setting in the options. I forgot about it too, but it was there front and center when I went to change the sound mix to stereo(I DID remember that the game defaults to mono sound for some strange reason).

On 5/27/2017 at 11:54 PM, JB0 said:

You're in for a treat. It's not Macross 2036(what is?), but 's still a pretty good shooter.

Yo, JBO i heard the super famicom is a decent shoot in itself aside from macross games. is the pc engine one 2036 a better game? there was also 2 other macross game for pc engine right? one was a strategy battle game. 

On 5/28/2017 at 0:02 AM, mikeszekely said:

Scramble Valkyrie!  That and Gundam Wing: Endless Duel were some of the first games I played on an emulator (ZSNES), and my first taste of import gaming.

How hard have you been hunting/how bad did you want one?  I have one, already set up to soft install a custom firmware with a couple of emulators.  Haven't touched it since my daughter was born, though, and I could probably be persuaded to part with it.

hey Mike S. i was meaning to respond sooner but was out hosting freinds memorial day weekend. i'll shoot you a pm buddy! 

On 5/28/2017 at 0:26 AM, David Hingtgen said:

did you mod you snes by cutting off the little nubs in the cart slot? hey Mod dave, what happened to your games you were meaning to pm me,  if you still have them, shoot me a pm:) 

On 5/28/2017 at 2:27 AM, JB0 said:

Pretty much spot-on with the difficulties. Max has a freaking homing laser, after all. And I don't even remember his F-mode weapon because B-mode was so useful. *boots game* Ah, a spread gun. The boringest of useful weapons.

Hikaru requires you to actually AIM, but he still hits a good region, and deals a lot more damage. And Milia will do ungodly amounts of damage if you're aiming carefully, but the cost of a mistake is much harsher.

But... there IS a difficulty setting in the options. I forgot about it too, but it was there front and center when I went to change the sound mix to stereo(I DID remember that the game defaults to mono sound for some strange reason).

so hikru is right in the middle of max and miria. 

i saw a fans translation on ebay but passed on it bc i wanted the original... but curious if the repro translation is any good.  

Personal opinion, 2036 is WAY better than Scrambled Valkyrie, though Scrambled Valkyrie is still awesome.

And yeah, the other PCE games are strategy games. 

And I don't think a fan translation of Scrambled Valkyrie exists. The game's already in english, what is there to translate?  I think the pirate is just making his bootleg carts with some random ROM image he downloaded, and assuming that since the game is in english he has a translated version.

20 hours ago, JB0 said:

Personal opinion, 2036 is WAY better than Scrambled Valkyrie, though Scrambled Valkyrie is still awesome.

And yeah, the other PCE games are strategy games. 

And I don't think a fan translation of Scrambled Valkyrie exists. The game's already in english, what is there to translate?  I think the pirate is just making his bootleg carts with some random ROM image he downloaded, and assuming that since the game is in english he has a translated version.

i'm going to get a region and rgb modded duo soon to play off my CRT so i'll probably pick it up. 

so scrambled valkyrie is already English? good to knowB)) 

Honestly, there's not much in the way of story content or anything in Scrambled Valkyrie. There's an options screen, and between levels it says "We got a new machine for the fighting." Other than that... stuff blows up?

23 hours ago, JB0 said:

Honestly, there's not much in the way of story content or anything in Scrambled Valkyrie. There's an options screen, and between levels it says "We got a new machine for the fighting." Other than that... stuff blows up?

gotcha, now i need some time to play it! pretty excited!!!

9 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Nin. Macross (SFC).jpg

Mac-Ban. DYRL (SS).jpg

Ooooo perfect timing for these customs

So... Capcom announced a Mega Man Legacy Collection 2.  This one will be Mega Man 7-10.  I'll grab it for sure, to have Mega Man 9 and 10 playable on PC.  Hasn't been announced for 3DS or Switch, which is kind of a bummer.

30 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

So... Capcom announced a Mega Man Legacy Collection 2.  This one will be Mega Man 7-10.  I'll grab it for sure, to have Mega Man 9 and 10 playable on PC.  Hasn't been announced for 3DS or Switch, which is kind of a bummer.

And then Megaman Legacy 3 will have all the weird spinoffs, right? The racing game and the soccer game and the videoboard game?

2 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Oh, those guys aren't dead yet. After the big pile of BS they spewed the first time around and lengthy radio silence, I assumed the Retroblox people had disappeared.

Nice to see they're finding more BS to spew. "First modular HD retro console" my backside. Ignoring that modular in this case means "we sell you extra parts to do what everyone else built into the base unit", the Retrofreak was still modular well before them. (And mark my words, the thing only exists because they saw the Retrofreak and realized it could be made more profitable by splitting the cartridge+controller adapter into a BUNCH of adapters).

And they still haven't retired that "hybrid emulation" nonsense that seems to mean "ARM processor running an emulator, just like everyone else". If it doesn't, they should be shouting it from the mountaintops and telling everyone EXACTLY what it means.

Their sole noteworthy feature is that they have a CD-ROM drive.  And THAT is terrible design, since including the CD-ROM in the base unit instead of one of those (deliciously profitable) expansion cartridges sets a very large minimum size on the console that they can't avoid and that is unnecessary to most of their customers. Also a relatively expensive component that they could sell separately instead of letting it eat into their base profit margin.  What is even the point of a modular system if you're building in the most expensive option?

11 hours ago, JB0 said:

And then Megaman Legacy 3 will have all the weird spinoffs, right? The racing game and the soccer game and the videoboard game?

And MegaMan and Bass, I'd hope. Actually, MM+B is a pretty glaring omission from the upcoming MMLC2, enough that I'd pass on it if it weren't for the fact that I really want 9 and 10 on PC.

47 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

And MegaMan and Bass, I'd hope. Actually, MM+B is a pretty glaring omission from the upcoming MMLC2, enough that I'd pass on it if it weren't for the fact that I really want 9 and 10 on PC.

wow that's the same thing a few guys someone else last night re: wanting 9, 10 on PC and megaman abd bass. crazy.

12 hours ago, JB0 said:

i want legends 1+2 in a collection 

13 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I am actually surprised it WAS omitted. (Also that Capcom hasn't retitled it "Megaman 8.5" yet)