HG and Robotech Debates

It was another Day 1 panel of very little consequence.

http://nycc_nyaf10.mapyourshow.com/3_0/sessions/sessiondetails.cfm?ScheduledSessionID=1051

'>

http://nycc_nyaf10.mapyourshow.com/3_0/sessions/sessiondetails.cfm?ScheduledSessionID=1051

same crap different con

Honestly, I don't expect them to do anything for at least another 2-3 years, if they even plan on something. Macguire Ent. got the license back in....2007 and if most licensing periods last roughly 10 years, then it's only 3 years since they got it. Given WB's restructuring of DC and their moving forward on those projects and unless one of those fail miserably, they may not do anything until Macguire Ent. is on the verge of losing the rights to a film.

i like how the panel description says it "discusses new developments in the wake of the announcement of the live-action Robotech feature film." Like this announcement just happened recently.

Isn't it an interesting choice of words? Just from the way they keep banging on about it like it's breaking news, you'd think they're either hoping that the entire Robotech fandom is suffering from anterograde amnesia or that they're hoping the original announcement completely flew under the radar so they can announce it like it's new again for the 25th anniversary. It's a given they'll spend most of their time banging on about writers who likely haven't had anything to do with the project in three years, and then duck questions about the side story thing and Shadow Rising for the rest of the Q&A session.

Intellectual Property Thieves? It would be wrong to characterize Harmony Gold as such. Disagree with them if you must, but I can assure you, their trademark and copyright of Macross (outside of Japan) is not the result of anything illegal.

This is just me talking, but a panel on this "tour" is not the place where you are going to find out information regarding any Robotech live-action movie project. The speakers on those panels are not high up enough at Harmony Gold to be in the loop on that.

Edited by Tom Bateman

Just a little bit of food for thought

Edge Games claiming ownership of the word Edge reminds me of HG and their Macross trademark

Intellectual Property Thieves? It would be wrong to characterize Harmony Gold as such. Disagree with them if you must, but I can assure you, their trademark and copyright of Macross (outside of Japan) is not the result of anything illegal.

Funny that you mention this Tom. Unless some one takes HG to court and proves their trademark squatting, there is nothing illegal going on :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say I know of HG doing anything illegal because I don't, but I do think that they're mixed up about what they think they should have and what they do have. They do have a copyright for the SDF Macross TV series. They do have a copyright to create merchandise based on it. They registered a trademark(s) for "Macross". I've heard they do and don't have copyright to the designs internationally. I assume they don't because why would Studio Nue need to sell the international rights to the designs, right? So, that's what they have. Their claims of ongoing litigation at con panels are a lie. Anyone know of ongoing litigation regarding Macross? I haven't heard of any.

The part that's uncertain is, Harmony Gold is always implying there's something in their contract that says they should get the license to all future Macross sequels. If that were true, they could sue for it. If an obligation like that didn't have to be in writing, then Big West could say they're obligated to the trademark.

The trademark is legal, but unethical. It exploits a loophole in trademark law. It holds the Macross sequels for ransom. Harmony Gold did not create Macross and they do not maintain the brand at the level of more than a joke. The name Macross has a lot of value. The concerts have thousands of people going to them and the movies are coming out one after another. The name is one of the main selling points of the rest of the Macross franchise. I'm sure Harmony Gold understands the effect of registering the Macross trademark.

If HG was doing absolutely nothing with the Macross line, then it'd be squatting. However, they have a licensee that is making 1/100 scale vinyls of the franchise, and is still working on the 1/100 transformable toys. I think that would be proof of them not necessarily squatting on it, even though they'll never use any of the designs in any future production.

As far as Tommy being at the MW con 10 today, I could've sworn he came, did his presentation and was in and out within 45 mins. I guess he wanted to do his Photoshop panel right after Mari's concert, right when everyone was in line for autographs and needed to stretch out. I think he had about 8 people sitting down listening, and out of those 8, 1 knows next to nothing about photoshop, and probably doesn't care, and half were just wanting to relax from the standing room only during the concert. Since I didn't here anyone ask questions about Robotech, or seem to have a big audience to care, I think Tommy probably decided to leave early. At least it felt like that, since he posted up some Robotech pic that many RT fans would've asked a million questions about, and no one even blinked twice at it at the con. Quick, cut, and dry. Sorry, you can't compete with Mari, and awesome Macross product and custom toys.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Tommy's presentation. From what couple sentences I heard, for those that don't know photoshop, it sounded like it'd be interesting. But as one girl said to her friend in Mari's line, "What's the point? If you really wanna learn photoshop, use the product enough and you'll learn what you need." QFT

Intillectual property thieves? Well, let me put it this way. If Copyrights, trademarks etc, became truly global, then HG would be SOL, since all rights internatioanlly would rightfully place with the creaters & owners at Big West & Studio Nue.

I've heard they do and don't have copyright to the designs internationally. I assume they don't because why would Studio Nue need to sell the international rights to the designs, right?

They don't... and there's no room for ambiguity on that note, thanks to the various court documents from the flurry of lawsuits triggered (in part) by Harmony Gold's jackass behavior. Even if we didn't know that, it's not exactly easy to overlook the paranoid way they've avoided anything to do with Macross in the Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles movie.

So, that's what they have. Their claims of ongoing litigation at con panels are a lie. Anyone know of ongoing litigation regarding Macross? I haven't heard of any.

None that I'm aware of, no... but it wouldn't exactly be the first time Tommy failed to check his facts before he commented on it.

The part that's uncertain is, Harmony Gold is always implying there's something in their contract that says they should get the license to all future Macross sequels. If that were true, they could sue for it. If an obligation like that didn't have to be in writing, then Big West could say they're obligated to the trademark.

IIRC, that was one of the assertions that started the whole legal tiff between Big West and Tatsunoko. There has been ample proof that Tatsunoko doesn't have any rights to subsequent Macross works produced without their involvement, which should put paid to that little thought in pretty short order.

The trademark is legal, but unethical. It exploits a loophole in trademark law. It holds the Macross sequels for ransom.

Of course... the most likely reason they registered that trademark when they did is that they wanted to use it specifically to impose a virtual embargo on Macross licensing. It's nominally legal... but it's unethical as all hell, which could describe a lot of Harmony Gold's behavior.

At least it felt like that, since he posted up some Robotech pic that many RT fans would've asked a million questions about, and no one even blinked twice at it at the con. Quick, cut, and dry. Sorry, you can't compete with Mari, and awesome Macross product and custom toys.

Robotech would never be able to compete with Macross on any kind of level footing... that's why they have that trademark keeping things biased strongly in their favor.

This is just me talking, but a panel on this "tour" is not the place where you are going to find out information regarding any Robotech live-action movie project. The speakers on those panels are not high up enough at Harmony Gold to be in the loop on that.

This is a very over looked fact. I would also imagine that few at Harmony Gold would be in the loop since the Live Action movie is completely in Warner Brothers hands from the looks of it.

Intillectual property thieves? Well, let me put it this way. If Copyrights, trademarks etc, became truly global, then HG would be SOL, since all rights internatioanlly would rightfully place with the creaters & owners at Big West & Studio Nue.

You do realize that the trademarks and copyrights HG has are the exact same ones that Tatsunoko has, right?

You do realize that the trademarks and copyrights HG has are the exact same ones that Tatsunoko has, right?

And you do realize that "all" Tatsunoko got, was the internatioanl distribution of the original TV series & merch for TV & DYRL right? Everything else, including story, character desigsn, mecha designs, etc, still sits with Big West/Studio Nue.

This is a very over looked fact. I would also imagine that few at Harmony Gold would be in the loop since the Live Action movie is completely in Warner Brothers hands from the looks of it.

This fact seems to be only overlooked by RT fans. Anyone without the fanboy/fangirl goggles on can and should understand that WB is in charge, not HG. I find it sad, yet amusing that HG has these panels, and announces writers and directors of the LAM as if they're the ones who put all that together, as if they're the ones who forked over the crates of money for all these people to get the ball rolling. If I was WB, I'd be thoroughly pissed off that this little pee-on company was indirectly claiming the work I did as their own. Not really something they'd be able to sue over or anything it seems, but something that is part of HG's M.O.

And you do realize that "all" Tatsunoko got, was the internatioanl distribution of the original TV series & merch for TV & DYRL right? Everything else, including story, character desigsn, mecha designs, etc, still sits with Big West/Studio Nue.

Tatsunoko do have the SDFM animation and its episodic story, i.e. the episode scripts, which the courts gave them, which is what Tatsunoko worked on, including distribution and merchandise. They don't have the character and mecha designs and the original story concept which is what BW owns.

Tatsunoko do have the SDFM animation and its episodic story, i.e. the episode scripts, which the courts gave them, which is what Tatsunoko worked on, including distribution and merchandise. They don't have the character and mecha designs and the original story concept which is what BW owns.

We've been down this road before. The only thing shown in the rulings, is that Tatsunoko has the completed animation to distributre internationally + merch rights for it & DYRL. They do not own the scripts, the intellectual property contained within the animation, etc. All they have, is the right to pimp out the completed product.

As far as Tommy being at the MW con 10 today, I could've sworn he came, did his presentation and was in and out within 45 mins. I guess he wanted to do his Photoshop panel right after Mari's concert, right when everyone was in line for autographs and needed to stretch out. I think he had about 8 people sitting down listening, and out of those 8, 1 knows next to nothing about photoshop, and probably doesn't care, and half were just wanting to relax from the standing room only during the concert. Since I didn't here anyone ask questions about Robotech, or seem to have a big audience to care, I think Tommy probably decided to leave early. At least it felt like that, since he posted up some Robotech pic that many RT fans would've asked a million questions about, and no one even blinked twice at it at the con. Quick, cut, and dry. Sorry, you can't compete with Mari, and awesome Macross product and custom toys.

God, that's depressing. And the day before he was in New York or something.

Did anybody see the post in Facebook about Tommy being at the con? It tried to say that heaps of people just went to see him, and they did a linked post in CNN.

Got a link for it? I can vouch as first hand witness that wasn't the case, unless he's counting Memo. In that case, OK, one person did.

Stuff like ireport and Facebook are really just free advertising for them. That's why they care to use them at all in their situation.

It's kind of sad that the only reason Tommy Yune signed up for IReport was just so he could plug Robotech.

What's really sad, is going all the way to NY comicon, and not a peep of anything Robotech from it. Just more on the news that Robotech is not all the hype that they've been making it to be. Just wait till this project coming out next year comes out.

What's really sad, is going all the way to NY comicon, and not a peep of anything Robotech from it. Just more on the news that Robotech is not all the hype that they've been making it to be. Just wait till this project coming out next year comes out.

"next year" How many rollovers did we see with SC? Too many to remember. I'll set the date for the new project at December 23, 2012 :unsure: