HG and Robotech Debates

The reasons why I like The Malcontent Uprisings from the Eternity line so much were Bill Spangler's writing (pretty good, but I know there's better out there), and Michael Ling's excellent artwork. I mean, c'mon, who didn't crack a grin when Breetai gave that Army of the Southern Cross infantryman a Big Bad Boot to the face in issue #7 (the best of the old Robotech issues, in my opinion).

'kay... it seems safe to say that my rather less favorable assessment of the quality of the art and writing is in line with general public opinion of the Robotech comics. Unlike many of the people on robotech.com who like to have a go at the older Robotech comics, I actually ended up reading most of them after some enterprising Robotech fan turned my "don't knock it 'till you've tried it" policy around on me and insisted I give the comics a fair chance. Personally, I had a difficult time taking anything in the old comics seriously because the art and writing were almost uniformly amateurish, and the frequent and obvious occurrences of tracing from Macross line art and even contemporary sci-fi movies gave it the feel of some community college art student's D- term project.

The nacelles on that VF dont look right. Why they hell are the turbines half exposed?

One of two reasons... either the artist(s) responsible for that mess was basing his art on this or something similar from a Macross artbook, or they just didn't know what a VF-1/F-14 was supposed to look like from the front and decided to wing it. It's also possible they traced an F-14 from someone else who didn't know how to draw one... there are plenty of idiots at Marvel and DC who have no idea how simple firearms work, let alone something complex like a jet aircraft.

Man, now that's subsidized anime-like artwork!

Again, QUALITY work like this, ignoring plotlines and stuff, should have been signs that something was changing in the franchise in a bad way. Long before some guy named Tommy Yune came around.

Edited by Einherjar

'kay... it seems safe to say that my rather less favorable assessment of the quality of the art and writing is in line with general public opinion of the Robotech comics. Unlike many of the people on robotech.com who like to have a go at the older Robotech comics, I actually ended up reading most of them after some enterprising Robotech fan turned my "don't knock it 'till you've tried it" policy around on me and insisted I give the comics a fair chance. Personally, I had a difficult time taking anything in the old comics seriously because the art and writing were almost uniformly amateurish, and the frequent and obvious occurrences of tracing from Macross line art and even contemporary sci-fi movies gave it the feel of some community college art student's D- term project.

One of two reasons... either the artist(s) responsible for that mess was basing his art on this or something similar from a Macross artbook, or they just didn't know what a VF-1/F-14 was supposed to look like from the front and decided to wing it. It's also possible they traced an F-14 from someone else who didn't know how to draw one... there are plenty of idiots at Marvel and DC who have no idea how simple firearms work, let alone something complex like a jet aircraft.

Unfortunately, when it comes to most Robotech products after the original airing, the "don't knock it till you tried it" statement usually ends up being a "how much money did I waste" statement to follow. I have most of the Robotech comics (got most for free), and I must say, they are pretty attrocious overall. There are some where the art is decent, but it's far and few between, and in some, where the art is good, the story is just lame. When it comes to Robotech nowadays, if there's ever the "don't knock it till you tried it" statement, I'd rather just pass unless I can get it for free. Like when and if Shadow Rising ever rises it's ugly head out, I'll wait till hulu or it comes out on bittorrent. Then I can knock it after I "tried it". That's not an issue based on the ugly politics, but one based on product history of beeing shoddy.

Agreed, it's like Western artists have no right to draw anything Macross. Sheesh...

When the art looks like crap, yes, they don't have a right to draw anything Macross. Rick in that one panel looks like someone bashed his face with a brick. If the artists actually know how to draw decently, people wouldn't be complaining.

When the art looks like crap, yes, they don't have a right to draw anything Macross. Rick in that one panel looks like someone bashed his face with a brick. If the artists actually know how to draw decently, people wouldn't be complaining.

I like how in that first panel he is standing with his hands behind his back and his legs apart like he is "at ease". A very, very comfortable and natural looking pose, NOT!

Taksraven

Unfortunately, when it comes to most Robotech products after the original airing, the "don't knock it till you tried it" statement usually ends up being a "how much money did I waste" statement to follow.

Fortunately for me, the amount of money I wasted on exploring the 31 flavors of godawful that are the old Robotech comics wouldn't be enough to buy a sandwich at any decent eatery.

I have most of the Robotech comics (got most for free), and I must say, they are pretty attrocious overall. There are some where the art is decent, but it's far and few between, and in some, where the art is good, the story is just lame. When it comes to Robotech nowadays, if there's ever the "don't knock it till you tried it" statement, I'd rather just pass unless I can get it for free. Like when and if Shadow Rising ever rises it's ugly head out, I'll wait till hulu or it comes out on bittorrent. Then I can knock it after I "tried it". That's not an issue based on the ugly politics, but one based on product history of beeing shoddy.

Not a bad philosophy, IMO... the only reason I paid actual money for the Robotech stuff that I have is because it was SO cheap that it'd be far more expensive in terms of my time and effort to find and download scans of the comics instead.

If you want a prime example of that, you can go no further than to look at the cover of Andrew W.K.'s I Get Wet. I'm not shitting you guys when I say he actually smashed his own face in with a brick for that pic.

If you want a prime example of that, you can go no further than to look at the cover of Andrew W.K.'s I Get Wet. I'm not shitting you guys when I say he actually smashed his own face in with a brick for that pic.

Mr "Party hard" W.K. is full of shit.

Rock stars always make up crap or perpetuate crap about themselves to make themselves seem good or cool. They are a prime source of urban myths.....

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

Nah, the unsettling part of that is that his skull appears to be lopsided... but yeah, the quality of the art is one of the major turn-offs to most prospective readers of the Robotech comics. It's like the artists didn't have a clue how to ape the artistic stylings of Haruhiko Mikimoto (Macross), Tomonori Kogawa (Southern Cross), and Yoshitaka Amano (Mospeada) and decided that the way to go was to draw their own style (badly) and try to make it look vaguely like the original designs in the hair and details of their clothing...

I like how in that first panel he is standing with his hands behind his back and his legs apart like he is "at ease". A very, very comfortable and natural looking pose, NOT!

Taksraven

you think his pose is awkward, what about Max? I think the whole panel would make more sense if hikaru had an eye patch and was pointing a gun at max.

:EDIT:

like this:

robotechmalcontentuprisasitshouldbe.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

Like when and if Shadow Rising ever rises it's ugly head out, I'll wait till hulu or it comes out on bittorrent. Then I can knock it after I "tried it". That's not an issue based on the ugly politics, but one based on product history of beeing shoddy.

Not me, it's gonna be a definate first day purchase. I can't wait to see what kind of inanely stupid things they do, and the wait for hulu would be too excruciating.

you think his pose is awkward, what about Max? I think the whole panel would make more sense if hikaru had an eye patch and was pointing a gun at max.

Damn... that does work better. It's cliche as hell, but that just makes it funnier.

Not me, it's gonna be a definate first day purchase. I can't wait to see what kind of inanely stupid things they do, and the wait for hulu would be too excruciating.

Y'know, I'd always suspected you were a masochist on account of the whole Macross 7 thing... this confirms it. :p

Odds are if (not when) Harmony Gold's "creative" team gets off their collective asses and actually makes Robotech: Shadow Rising, I'll end up seeing it for free when this town's sole remaining Robotech fan starts brandishing his copy at me as "proof" that being a Robotech fan isn't a complete waste of time. If it pans out the way Shadow Chronicles did, he'll insist that I watch it right away and after about five minutes I'll give him a sad look and tell him he's a goddamn idiot.

You're kidding, right? You actually own all those Robotech titles?

LOL at necromanced Bateman account, and yeah, I actually own all those titles. As a Macross fan, I'm morbidly curious as to the random directions HG tries to take the franchise. Besides, I watch them every once in a while to remember why I stopped being a robotech fan :)

Edited by Keith

Just because I own The Sentinels, Codename Robotech, Shadow Chronicles, and Space Gundam V doesn't make me a.... BOMBA!

Had to think there for a second, didn'tcha? :p

LOL at necromanced Bateman account, and yeah, I actually own all those titles. As a Macross fan, I'm morbidly curious as to the random directions HG tries to take the franchise. Besides, I watch them every once in a while to remember why I stopped being a robotech fan :)

lol... if you actually watch them once in a while, then you're made of sterner stuff than I am. I don't even keep the DVDs on my DVD rack with all my other movies. They're buried in a box in my basement along with all of my other Robotech stuff.

I was going through my old comics and found some old RT ones. The series was called Invid War, and it centered around Wolf. I'll scan some and put them up when I return from my business trip...Hate on the comics all you want its more of an effort then HG's animation will probably ever produce.

By the way, I realized this weekend that Macross Frontier episode High School Queen is probably the funniest in the series :lol:

You're kidding, right? You actually own all those Robotech titles?

You know, Tom, there's gonna be another 2 hr. episode dedicated to your two sentences from someone's nutjob podcast. Isn't mindscrewing some people fun?

Maybe I'm the last one to notice, but wouldn't the belts work better on their pants?

Going by those pictures, I don't think they're wearing any pants. I think the belts are to help keep their uniform buckled, so their wangs don't go flapping in the wind. Take a look at Max there, you can nearly see his asscrack through the back of his uniform.

Going by those pictures, I don't think they're wearing any pants. I think the belts are to help keep their uniform buckled, so their wangs don't go flapping in the wind. Take a look at Max there, you can nearly see his asscrack through the back of his uniform.

:lol: Ok, now that's funny.

Y'know, I'd always suspected you were a masochist on account of the whole Macross 7 thing... this confirms it. :p

Seto, I speak for all Macross 7 fans you accuse of being masochist when I say sing!

♫ ♫ ♪ ♫

Punch on walls till I bleed,

cry myself to sleep like that loser Hibiki.

No thanks!

That ain't my style.

♫ ♫ ♪ ♫

:p

Now THAT'S a Robotech comic I'd read!! :lol:

WAIT. So the biggest self-proclaimed fan of Nanase, the driver of a fine Japanese built automobile model, and the "nuker of gay, unborn space whales FOR LIFE" also likes to read Yaoi Robotech comics? Talk about playing for both teams. :lol:

wouldn't the belts work better on their pants?

On the contrary. This is exactly how Rick Hunter has kept Robotech fans interested for over 25 years: with his pants down.

You know, Tom, there's gonna be another 2 hr. episode dedicated to your two sentences from someone's nutjob podcast. Isn't mindscrewing some people fun?

Spoken like a true member of the Tom Bateman "croud."

Am I real or am I "necromanced"? Not sure what that means in my case.

CODENAME: ROBOTECH is more or less a 90-minute version of the 14th episode "Gloval's Report", so I can't see what's so bad about that.

Seto, I speak for all Macross 7 fans you accuse of being masochist when I say sing!

Heh... but as a Macross 7 fan, doesn't that mean you'll only know that one song for at least your next ten posts?;)

On the contrary. This is exactly how Rick Hunter has kept Robotech fans interested for over 25 years: with his pants down.

Really? All this time I've been thinking it's because he's the only halfway-likable main character in Robotech and they keep dangling him in front of the fans like a donut in front of a fat kid on a treadmill.:rolleyes:

Spoken like a true member of the Tom Bateman "croud."

Okay, I give up... was misspelling "crowd" an unintentional gaffe or deliberate homage to Tom's illiterate "fanclub"?:wacko:

Am I real or am I "necromanced"? Not sure what that means in my case.

CODENAME: ROBOTECH is more or less a 90-minute version of the 14th episode "Gloval's Report", so I can't see what's so bad about that.

Necromanced as in inactive since '06. But while we've got your ear, a certain Robotech.com member has been put on ban for on topic positive discussion about new Robotech projects that actually sparked some interesting conversation over at RT.com, and had an active positive following. What's up with that? Is there some hidden sub clause in the RT.C TOS that says actively discussing positive aspects about new robotech productions is some type of attack on Steve Yun and requires an apology? lol.