HG and Robotech Debates

Is Marvel now quaking in their boots cause there's some other worldly remote chance that a new Robotech comic may come?

DC got the license, and is giving it the same lavish treatment as their in-house blockbusters like Batman and Superman.

Robotech VS Predator VS Robocop: coming soon to a comic store near you.

I'd buy it...

*hangs head in shame*

Be careful about using "editing" in the context of this series.

Ouch.

it's sad that the need to validate Robotech's existence even when it's just a one word mention, is so prevailant. And, like this Alchu guy said, yeah, what is the point? Is it gonna make the story any better?

Alchu was like "SO?"

And Mav's like... marked for ban.

Yikes.

Yeah, that's what's so strange about what's going on at present. On one hand you can say Tommy released stuff that Macek never did in the 90's - and yet I feel they didn't give what fans really wanted - a good compelling story. As the 'noughts went by it just seemed that while HG was putting out 'better quality' (a debatable topic) stuff, they were all just rehashes and regurgitation of the stuff people hated from the 90's.

To be blunt, any traces of a compelling story in Robotech are a byproduct of the original Japanese shows, not the work of Robotech's writers. They've proved that time and time again. The (relatively) successful comics were not those with the best of writing or art, but those which pandered the most to what the fans wanted to see... the ongoing story of the Macross Saga cast.

Part or, to be honest, most of the reason the "new" comics were far better received than the "old" ones was that the quality of the art improved significantly. True, they're not up to the standards of mainstream comic book titles today, but they're a hell of a lot less offensive to the eye than the old ones were. Since the writing was also done under the supervision of Harmony Gold, there's also the added "bonus" that they supposedly fit into the canon story of Robotech these days. Of course, they also get a pass from many fans for the same reason Sentinels did... pandering to the fanbase's desire to expand on the Macross story and characters.

Be careful about using "editing" in the context of this series. Another completed, yet unknown to Western audience, series might be getting royally screwed again.

I doubt it... but the possibility exists. Of course, this could all be in MEMO's head, like most of the news he reports.

Alchu was like "SO?"

And Mav's like... marked for ban.

So, business as usual? Another inconveniently sharp Robotech fan catches the mods trying to resuscitate the community they've been suffocating with bullshit and calls 'em out on it, and gets marked for a ban. Truly, the only ones welcome in the Robotech fanbase anymore are those too stupid to see the writing on the wall. (Or, indeed, those too congested to smell it... since it's written in bullshit ON bullshit)

It's a very strange scenario, really. On one hand, everyone is eager to say how the 90's stuff was terrible and cheesy, and yet somehow I recall a strange excitement when Tommy started releasing his own comics - which were really just retooled ideas from the original Robotech Graphic Novel (Robotech's version of Macross Zero) and the Sentinels.

Please...Macross Zero may have had its flaws, but it REALLY doesn't deserve the indignity of being compared to the lameness of the Robotech Graphic Novel...

Just checked this morning and I haven't been banned yet. It's actually refreshing to see more fans on Robotech.com questioning the actions of Harmony Gold though I know it doesn't matter. Even Memo has, surprisingly, agreed with many of my comments lately. I'm just trying to keep it real over there.

-ahchu (not alchu)

And speaking of the hardest of the hardcore, Mav_LSC's on trying to generate excitement over nothing:

My favorite is the snarky reply from Alchu:

You forgot something....

<personality="Elmo Kridanik">BIG NEWSU!!! BIG BIG SUPA NEWSU!!! Variety mentions RT!!!!</personality>

Maybe I should search for RT in Google News every day and post it as some big thing.

Be careful about using "editing" in the context of this series. Another completed, yet unknown to Western audience, series might be getting royally screwed again.

I tell ya....Robotech: Love, Live, Alive.

Robotech fandom is about as fun as a kick in the crotch. Forget Sheryl and Ranka. I want to see more blurry pictures of Sera to test my faith in the Roboligion.

Well, its the sort of thing where they probably would either do something based on a secondary Mospeada character or on the LEGENDARY JACK BAKER!!!

th_robotechthesentinelsjack.jpg

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

Just checked this morning and I haven't been banned yet. It's actually refreshing to see more fans on Robotech.com questioning the actions of Harmony Gold though I know it doesn't matter. Even Memo has, surprisingly, agreed with many of my comments lately. I'm just trying to keep it real over there.

Don't worry... sooner or later Maverick_LSC'll cook up a rationale to ban you if you keep trying to question the Harmony Gold company line and his bullshit. Some of the reasons he comes up with to ban the people who disagree with him are quite amusing. After calling him out on the obvious lies he was posting in the Macross legal threads on RT.com, he snapped and accused me of doing so only to cause Robotech fans "pain and suffering", and banned me. :rolleyes:

That you've gotten away with it this long makes me wonder if Tommy's finally leaning on them to stop banning people right and left after realizing there's almost nobody left on the discussion boards at Robotech.com to discuss Robotech. If MEMO's agreeing with you, that means he's probably hoping he can suck up to you to get you to do something for him later.

Well, its the sort of thing where they probably would either do something based on a secondary Mospeada character or on the LEGENDARY JACK BAKER!!!

But we know in reality that all Robotech fans want more...

th_RickHunter2.jpg

But they're the same damn character... Jack Baker is a blatant clone of Rick Hunter in the same way that his girlfriend Karen Penn was a blatant clone of Lisa Hayes.

Yeah, let's remember that this Robotech comic predated Macross Zero.

Right, right. Yune originally cannibalized the Robotech Graphic Novel, and to make it feel "authentic" he shoehorned some of the Roy Focker's flashback scenes from the Macross TV series. Shame that Yune didn't include the Robotech Master Bioroids inside the SDF-1 crashsite like what the original Graphic Novel did. Or Boldoza as a security guard for Zor.

That's s**t was frikkin' awesome. :lol:

Robotech fandom is about as fun as a kick in the crotch. Forget Sheryl and Ranka. I want to see more blurry pictures of Sera to test my faith in the Roboligion.

Not so enthusiastic, are we?

Y'see, one of the main prerequisites of being a modern Robotech fan is to have an overly active imagination. Just take a look at any of the Robotech boards and try not to get excited when you hear from reliable sources that "The Robotech Live Action Comic Book is going to be optioned as a Live Action TV series!" or "It's going to be bigger than Michael Bay and directed by Sylvain White!" and their favorite - "Comic Con International is going to have another major reveal!"

Who cares if the end product is disappointing or a piece of crap?

Why would you compliment it like that? It's probably artwork from the new "movie"

now that's uncalled for. We all know Tommy Yune didn't draw this, an actual human being with actual feelings did and we should respect that. They may not be good but that's no reason to mock them.

I didn't know they wanted more Taksraven....

and poorly drawn characters.

EVERYBODY wants more Taksraven!!

TAKSRAVEN

Cool, its taken over 3000 posts for somebody to take the piss out of me for signing my posts. Yay!

Right, right. Yune originally cannibalized the Robotech Graphic Novel, and to make it feel "authentic" he shoehorned some of the Roy Focker's flashback scenes from the Macross TV series.

Now, it's no secret that the Robotech graphic novel was the chief parts donor when Tommy Yune was stitching together the lurching Frankenstein's monster we know as the miniseries "From the Stars", but it would be unfair to the other "donors" to claim it was the only source he was treating with light-fingered contempt. Parts of the pre-Space War 1 Macross timeline got "sampled" as well, as did some Mospeada concept art, and some character designs from the Street Fighter arcade games.

The creative process currently in use at Harmony Gold for the animated continuity could easily be summed up as a bizarre recursive form of plagiarism. Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles was a film assembled almost entirely from bits and pieces of Sentinels and the remake of Battlestar Galactica, the former of which was also composed in large measure of material shamelessly lifted from Macross and given a minor and poorly done Southern Cross facelift, and a good deal of material "based on" content from contemporary sci-fi (Star Trek: the Next Generation being the most obvious "donor"). The next one, when they finally get to making it who-know-how-many years down the road, will probably be a ripoff of Michael Bay's 3rd Transformers movie done entirely with pre-established content from Shadow Chronicles.

Shame that Yune didn't include the Robotech Master Bioroids inside the SDF-1 crashsite like what the original Graphic Novel did. Or Boldoza as a security guard for Zor.

I wouldn't have expected him to. After all, Tommy's MO has always been to pander to the fanbase and string them along by playing on their desire to view more stories about the Macross Saga's cast without straying into actual Macross. If one thing has remained constant since the mythical entirely fictitious "glory days" of Robotech, it's that you'll have a hard time finding a group of people who hate Southern Cross more than Robotech fans. Why would he shoot himself in the foot by including something that the fans have been saying they don't want for the better part of 25 years now? :rolleyes:

Y'see, one of the main prerequisites of being a modern Robotech fan is to have an overly active imagination.

Really? And here I was thinking that the main prerequisites to be a modern Robotech fan were to have eaten a lot of lead paint as a child and be the sort of gullible prat who would fall for a scam like "Double your IQ or no money back".

now that's uncalled for. We all know Tommy Yune didn't draw this, an actual human being with actual feelings did and we should respect that. They may not be good but that's no reason to mock them.

ESPECIALLY since the Lisa Hayes drawing looks better then the Lisa Hayes in Sentinels...

I've started seeing more podcasts, and more blogs about Robotech over the past year than ever before, even though the fanbase has never seemed smaller and more secluded than ever before. So long as they're writing sane stuff, and being a fan, I think that's all gravy. I enjoy listening and reading from JT's podcasts, and reading Cpt. JLS's blog can be fun and informative. I think it's good that people who enjoy their fandom, whatever it is, find their outlets to talk about it. It is unfortunate that some of them have been lumped into the likes of the other podcasts and nutjobs out there. Like the variations of Macross fans that post here and throughout this site, RT fans vary the same...from casual interest, to the knowledgable, to the vocally wacked out.

As I was reading through the last 2 pages, it seemed like JLS was getting a bit of heat for starting his blog again, and I was trying to figure out why. I read his blog periodically, and while it's not always my cup of tea, I have to take my hat off to him for getting his interest back in the franchise. If his blog was about badmouthing other series like Macross or others, or speaking flat out lies, and was just an essay on garbage, then yeah, I could see why people would criticize it, but to some extent, he's been one of those RT fans that actually enjoys the show. I probably disagree with him on a few opinions, but hey, that's people.

I've started seeing more podcasts, and more blogs about Robotech over the past year than ever before, even though the fanbase has never seemed smaller and more secluded than ever before. So long as they're writing sane stuff, and being a fan, I think that's all gravy. I enjoy listening and reading from JT's podcasts, and reading Cpt. JLS's blog can be fun and informative. I think it's good that people who enjoy their fandom, whatever it is, find their outlets to talk about it. It is unfortunate that some of them have been lumped into the likes of the other podcasts and nutjobs out there. Like the variations of Macross fans that post here and throughout this site, RT fans vary the same...from casual interest, to the knowledgable, to the vocally wacked out.

As I was reading through the last 2 pages, it seemed like JLS was getting a bit of heat for starting his blog again, and I was trying to figure out why. I read his blog periodically, and while it's not always my cup of tea, I have to take my hat off to him for getting his interest back in the franchise. If his blog was about badmouthing other series like Macross or others, or speaking flat out lies, and was just an essay on garbage, then yeah, I could see why people would criticize it, but to some extent, he's been one of those RT fans that actually enjoys the show. I probably disagree with him on a few opinions, but hey, that's people.

First off I'll say that I'm a die hard Robotech fan... always have been... and I always will. Now that being said I also like Macross. I really like what you said there Jasonc. I have always been of the opinion that a person can like what they like.. it’s all good. You can love Robotech or Macross or both... but is there really any reason to hate each other for it? Is it really necessary to chastise one another for it? And I’m not singling any one out or any one side out… there are those that do it on both sides. Even within the fan bases there are the same issues. Fans’ arguing over what is canon, and what is not, which series is the superior and which is a joke.

I love Robotech… and I like Macross… so where would I fit in the picture? Should I be hated by both sides because I enjoy both?

Jasonc I wish there were more fans on both sides who saw things the same way. I find no reason why Macross fans and Robotech fans can’t find something enjoyable about both series.

Thanks for posting.

M.W.

First off I'll say that I'm a die hard Robotech fan... always have been... and I always will. Now that being said I also like Macross. I really like what you said there Jasonc. I have always been of the opinion that a person can like what they like.. it’s all good. You can love Robotech or Macross or both... but is there really any reason to hate each other for it? Is it really necessary to chastise one another for it? And I’m not singling any one out or any one side out… there are those that do it on both sides. Even within the fan bases there are the same issues. Fans’ arguing over what is canon, and what is not, which series is the superior and which is a joke.

I love Robotech… and I like Macross… so where would I fit in the picture? Should I be hated by both sides because I enjoy both?

Jasonc I wish there were more fans on both sides who saw things the same way. I find no reason why Macross fans and Robotech fans can’t find something enjoyable about both series.

Thanks for posting.

M.W.

There are a lot of Macross and Robotech fans on this site, but a lot of them stay away from this thread, as for other readers and people on this subject can't draw the lines between liking both and either being a "RT fanboy", or "Macross Purist". I'm still a Robotech fan for what it brought over, and for what it once represented. Although I don't necessarily support anything current of it, I appreciate the start of it. It was my only way to watch Macross and Mospeada back in 85, as there was no "downloading" at the time.

why are you watching robotech again?

japan has been doing the animated space opera shtick for almost 40 years now

maybe you should just check out some of that stuff

This is something that is pretty common knowledge to "anime fans" in general. Robotech is sorta different in that it has fans that aren't anime fans, or have no idea of the "anime culture". So, Robotech as being original? No, it isn't. It's an Americanized version of what the Japanese have perfected and have been doing for a long time. And, there are some other series out there that are just as good, just not as grand as Macross and all.

I've started seeing more podcasts, and more blogs about Robotech over the past year than ever before, even though the fanbase has never seemed smaller and more secluded than ever before. So long as they're writing sane stuff, and being a fan, I think that's all gravy.

For at least as long as I've been involved, directly and peripherally, in the goings-on of the Robotech fanbase, the fans have always been slaves to trends. This recent trend of fans putting out blogs and podcasts is just the latest in a long line of things they've done to try and convince themselves they aren't flogging the bleached skeleton of a long-dead horse. Back when I first found Robotech.com, it was the forum-based RPGs that were really trendy. Everyone wanted to run their own, and it eventually turned into a fight. After that, it was the social "bar" threads, which predictably turned into a fight after choking the life out of the site's off-topic section. These days, it's blogs and podcasts. Ever since JT came onto the scene and garnered the favorable attention of voice actors and the like, every wanna-be big name fan in Robotech's fanbase is starting their own blog or podcast in the hopes they too will get recognized for it. Predictably, that also devolved into a protracted flame war between the guy who earned his kudos and the wanna-be bigshots.

Like all other trends in the Robotech fanbase, this one proved to be short-lived. Just one or two credible folks hopped on the bandwagon before the idiot brigade rolled in with the drama and tried to ruin it for the sake of their own self-advancement. At least the sane ones freely admit that there's just not enough to talk about to keep going for long, and will stop once they run out of material.

As I was reading through the last 2 pages, it seemed like JLS was getting a bit of heat for starting his blog again, and I was trying to figure out why. I read his blog periodically, and while it's not always my cup of tea, I have to take my hat off to him for getting his interest back in the franchise.

Part of the reason is, I think, that he's coming back to resume his blogging after having made all that noise about how he was going to quit because there was nothing going on worth talking about anymore. Now that he's come back, it's got people wondering why. Some of the fans that I talked to about it were speculating that he's worried JT is usurping his niche as the one sane voice among the vocal fans. On the other hand, the majority said that it feels like he's doing what he's doing because he feels obligated to do SOMETHING for the anniversary rather than out of any genuine renewal of interest in the franchise.

In any case, slogging through the old comics that most of the fanbase hates and would like to forget has already been done to death by a dozen other defunct blogs and podcasts already.

You can love Robotech or Macross or both... but is there really any reason to hate each other for it? Is it really necessary to chastise one another for it?

Ask Harmony Gold and their volunteer moderators... they're the ones responsible for stirring up most of the hostility. Unless they instill the remaining Robotech fans with a borderline militant devotion to the franchise, almost all of them would move on to other, far better shows in short order. It's that militant desire to defend Robotech from any and all criticism (legitimate or otherwise) and their bizarre conviction in Robotech's alleged superiority that ends up as the underlying reason for most of the conflict out there.

Yes, you CAN love both... though good luck convincing the loyal Robotech fans of that. These days, they consider even the most innocent, well-intentioned statement of "Well I like something about Macross better" to be flame-bait and trolling of the worst order.

In the eyes of the Robotech hardliners, yes. Despite knowing rather a lot about RT and cherishing a sort of bizarre nostalgia for the series, I'm persona non grata on virtually all surviving Robotech fansites because of my preference for Macross. Of course, a handful of Macross hardliners would say the same thing going the other way, but they're rarer and quieter than the Robotech ones.

I've started seeing more podcasts, and more blogs about Robotech over the past year than ever before, even though the fanbase has never seemed smaller and more secluded than ever before...

Initiated by disappointed mid to late 20's fans taking advantage of mainstream blogging services, and and other web 2.0 tools... It's a shame, really, that a lot of the older stuff was taken down.

As I was reading through the last 2 pages, it seemed like JLS was getting a bit of heat for starting his blog again, and I was trying to figure out why.

Naw, it's not like that. It's just that extended Robotech stories in the 90's in general are unintentionally funny.

Jasonc I wish there were more fans on both sides who saw things the same way.
Yes, you CAN love both... though good luck convincing the loyal Robotech fans of that. These days, they consider even the most innocent, well-intentioned statement of "Well I like something about Macross better" to be flame-bait and trolling of the worst order.

Yeah... since when did MEMO, Mav_LSC, and Doug Bendo become the face of all Robotech fans?

Edited by chrisk

For at least as long as I've been involved, directly and peripherally, in the goings-on of the Robotech fanbase, the fans have always been slaves to trends. This recent trend of fans putting out blogs and podcasts is just the latest in a long line of things they've done to try and convince themselves they aren't flogging the bleached skeleton of a long-dead horse. Back when I first found Robotech.com, it was the forum-based RPGs that were really trendy. Everyone wanted to run their own, and it eventually turned into a fight. After that, it was the social "bar" threads, which predictably turned into a fight after choking the life out of the site's off-topic section. These days, it's blogs and podcasts. Ever since JT came onto the scene and garnered the favorable attention of voice actors and the like, every wanna-be big name fan in Robotech's fanbase is starting their own blog or podcast in the hopes they too will get recognized for it. Predictably, that also devolved into a protracted flame war between the guy who earned his kudos and the wanna-be bigshots.

Like all other trends in the Robotech fanbase, this one proved to be short-lived. Just one or two credible folks hopped on the bandwagon before the idiot brigade rolled in with the drama and tried to ruin it for the sake of their own self-advancement. At least the sane ones freely admit that there's just not enough to talk about to keep going for long, and will stop once they run out of material.

What's strange is that those that feel they can't be fans of both, or just pick one show to revolve around, have only that to cling to. Many want to validate their fandom by outlandish claims and off-base ideas, or by manipulting the facts to fit what they want. Many just do what they do in the fandom simply because they are a fan of their show. The difference seems to be the sense of reality. Some can accept the facts that are there, and others just can't. The trends seem common, I think many large groups go through the same types of phases. As far as how many of them lead to arguments and hatred within the same group, that seems to be an odd occurrence

Part of the reason is, I think, that he's coming back to resume his blogging after having made all that noise about how he was going to quit because there was nothing going on worth talking about anymore. Now that he's come back, it's got people wondering why. Some of the fans that I talked to about it were speculating that he's worried JT is usurping his niche as the one sane voice among the vocal fans. On the other hand, the majority said that it feels like he's doing what he's doing because he feels obligated to do SOMETHING for the anniversary rather than out of any genuine renewal of interest in the franchise.

In any case, slogging through the old comics that most of the fanbase hates and would like to forget has already been done to death by a dozen other defunct blogs and podcasts already.

Ask Harmony Gold and their volunteer moderators... they're the ones responsible for stirring up most of the hostility. Unless they instill the remaining Robotech fans with a borderline militant devotion to the franchise, almost all of them would move on to other, far better shows in short order. It's that militant desire to defend Robotech from any and all criticism (legitimate or otherwise) and their bizarre conviction in Robotech's alleged superiority that ends up as the underlying reason for most of the conflict out there.

In the eyes of the Robotech hardliners, yes. Despite knowing rather a lot about RT and cherishing a sort of bizarre nostalgia for the series, I'm persona non grata on virtually all surviving Robotech fansites because of my preference for Macross. Of course, a handful of Macross hardliners would say the same thing going the other way, but they're rarer and quieter than the Robotech ones.

As far as why JLS is blogging again, really only he can answer that. Even I found it surprising that the blog started again, even after the "I'm stopping cause there's nothing worth talking about." I don't really see anything to talk about still, and maybe going through the comics and series again is his way of spurring the interest again. If so good for him. If it is due to people like JT gaining popularity amongst fans and voice actors, well, I think eventually that would show. I'm going with the fact that he has renewed interest.

All-in-all, the idea of one fan group not liking another is pointless. If fans are gonna go after the series itself, that's fine and game. If you're gonna criticize the company that is handling aspects of its creation, production, marketing, etc., fine (I would say to those that do, at least watch, and be familiar with what you are going to criticize). Oh well, I'm not expecting stuff to change amongst the fan groups. I'm one of those that can appreciate both. While I'm more of a Macross fan, the fact that I'm a fan of a series gives us all something in common. if you like your series, love it, or are just cool with it, enjoy it (and try not to fall off the edge into the fringe that give fans a bad name).

Yeah... since when did MEMO, Mav_LSC, and Doug Bendo become the face of all Robotech fans?

Oh, I'd say that happened right around the time Maverick and MEMO finished banning or otherwise driving fans away from the major online hubs of Robotech fan activity, leaving only those fans who agree with their views or are too scared or apathetic to voice a dissenting opinion and get properly banned like everyone else who genuinely gives a flip about Robotech. :rolleyes:

What's strange is that those that feel they can't be fans of both, or just pick one show to revolve around, have only that to cling to. Many want to validate their fandom by outlandish claims and off-base ideas, or by manipulting the facts to fit what they want.

Indeed, that is strange... but let's not forget that many of those behaviors stem from the lies and exaggerations that Carl Macek and Harmony Gold were spoon-feeding the fans for something on the order of fifteen years. I think the reason these hostile behaviors are far more visible and even condoned and encouraged in the Robotech fandom is because these are people who have spent years or decades being told flat-out that the original shows are vastly inferior and that they have no value or merit outside of their inclusion in Robotech. In recent years, the lies coming from Macek and HG have expanded to the point where they've gone so far as to claim that Macross's creators think Robotech is better and sought to imitate it in the later Macross sequels. In the end, they're part of the "outlandish claim" set, but the outlandish claims they're basing their hostility on aren't their own... they're Harmony Gold's.

Others adopt the practice of hating on the show's origins as a way to validate their own faith in the show in an industry that considers Robotech an example of practices that are now obsolete and unacceptable. They really don't NEED to do it, but I suppose they must feel a bit threatened when Macross fans bang on about all of its various sequels while the boys at Harmony Gold are still struggling to wrap up the overlong intro cut scene called Shadow Chronicles.

As far as why JLS is blogging again, really only he can answer that. Even I found it surprising that the blog started again, even after the "I'm stopping cause there's nothing worth talking about." I don't really see anything to talk about still, and maybe going through the comics and series again is his way of spurring the interest again.

Well, we'll find out sooner or later... from the tone of his coverage of the comics, I get the distinct impression it's more the "I feel obligated to do something special for the 25th" than genuine enthusiasm... but who knows, maybe this is like a bad movie marathon for him and he's enjoying the suffering?

All-in-all, the idea of one fan group not liking another is pointless. If fans are gonna go after the series itself, that's fine and game. If you're gonna criticize the company that is handling aspects of its creation, production, marketing, etc., fine (I would say to those that do, at least watch, and be familiar with what you are going to criticize).

Y'see, the problem is that this sort of hostility is actually being encouraged by Harmony Gold and its volunteer staffers. So you've got the one side (Macross fans) that doesn't care much what the other says or days, and the other side (Robotech fans) that takes umbrage over every little thing that could be taken as a slight against their favorite show or those responsible for editing it together.

For the most part, it's a one-sided vendetta. About the only thing we can really muster when they get going is a mixture of exasperation and a vague feeling of disgust.

My problem is more with the cease and desist factory Harmony Gold than Robotech. If I could walk into a DVD store and see both Robotech AND Macross on the shelves I wouldn't be worried about this crap.

Maverick, Memo and Bendo are just blowhards who need to be deprived of oxygen.

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

My problem is more with the cease and desist factory Harmony Gold than Robotech. If I could walk into a DVD store and see both Robotech AND Macross on the shelves I wouldn't be worried about this crap.

Yeah, you and me both. My only real beef with Robotech is that in 25 years the people who "created" it never really managed to do anything original with it, and just keep milking the same three TV shows for a quick buck instead, which is really more a beef with Harmony Gold than it is with Robotech itself.

Lots of folks in mecha circles object to Harmony Gold, even the ones who aren't Macross fans, because they act like apefaces. There are very few folks in the Macross fandom who genuinely object to Robotech itself, though it might not be their cup of tea.

Maverick, Memo and Bendo are just blowhards who need to be deprived of oxygen.

So, we just need to trick them into looking up when it's raining, right? :p