All Things Video Games Thread: II

Some parts of that video drew an HSQ outta me, but I'll wait to see how its implimented and if any of those come to pass. I haven't been impressed with a new controller setup, with the exception of the Kinect demonstrating the Star Wars game. That wowed me :)

There's a box. It plugs into the TV, and discs go inside it. That thing you're looking at is just the controller.

Think of the Wii U as an HD DS, where the top screen is your TV, and the bottom screen is on the controller.

That's the idea that popped in my head when I saw that. They made the Wii U into a HD DS.

Yep. Also she has a penis (in japan, in the US she's post-op).

Interesting, now does she really have a penis, or does she just have a massive clit that she uses as a penis, like the chick in LA Blue Girl?

Interesting, now does she really have a penis, or does she just have a massive clit that she uses as a penis, like the chick in LA Blue Girl?

Actual penis. Apparently it's not cool to hit girls, but it's totally fine to beat up transvestite hookers. ;)

Wii U has some potential. I already have several ideas on using its gimmicks on some type of games, especially mech games. For Macross games, the built-in screen can act as MFD like in real jet fighter, with array of buttons surrounding the screens for specific functions. Like...I dunno, releasing safety on reaction missiles maybe? Or switching the screen into other function like radar or something. Or maybe video "chat" with Skull Leader or a bridge bunny ;). Yes, it's gimmicky and 'cramming all interface into secondary touch screen' concept is already done in DS but it'll be the 1st in home console with glorious HD. I just hope people in game industry are more creative than me :p.

edit: I mean something like that monitor on left corner of the 1st picture (VF-0D) or more futuristic YF-19 MFD.

post-9548-0-50633500-1307533455_thumb.jpg

post-9548-0-55953800-1307533496_thumb.jpg

Edited by reeoyuy

I loved FF8, would be happy if they remade 7 or 8.

I give Square creativity points for wanting to try something new with the draw system, but it just felt awkward. Having replayed both 7 and 8 a few times over the years, I have to admit I like 8 better - just can't beat the OMG plot twists and revelations - "U MEAN ELLONE IS SQUALL'S ADOPTED SISTER AND LAGUNA IS SQUALL'S FATHER, WHO WAS ALSO IN LOVE WITH RINOA'S MOTHER??" :p ... and Ragnarok was the best looking FF airship hands down.

I had a suspicion about the relationship between Squall and Laguna, but the rest of the spoilers??? But I'm not suprised, since furtheset I went into the game was the beginning of Disk 4. My only probelm with the game wasn't the draw system, but the unlimited summons of the Guardian Forces; you can acutally summon them enough times to turn your foes into pate.

WHY??????

Bungie might have done all with Halo they wanted to, but Microsoft without Halo is like Nintendo without Mario. When they've run out of ideas (you mean they haven't?), when other FPS franchises are consistently better (which has been the case since before Halo 3), Microsoft will still be pimping Halo.

It's not like a fourth Halo is a complete surprise. The third had a bit of a cliffhanger and (since the last two games were prequels/side stories) it's been four years since a true sequel has been released. I'm just glad it's at least another year until it comes out (if only the same were true for MW3).

Since the Flood and The Covenant were the subject of the trilogy, I'm willing to bet that the game's focus will be on the Forerrunners (yea I know I'm so smart). Maybe the MC was actually knocked back in time when his section of the Forward Unto Dawn separated by the shockwave, and the Chief will find himself fighting alongside/against the Flood or Forerunners furing the Forerunner/Flood war.

It's not like a fourth Halo is a complete surprise. The third had a bit of a cliffhanger and (since the last two games were prequels/side stories) it's been four years since a true sequel has been released. I'm just glad it's at least another year until it comes out (if only the same were true for MW3).

It could have been a cliffhanger, and undoubtedly the new studio will pick up on it and run with it. Personally, I always saw the ending of Halo 3 as a subtle "Halo could be the prequel to Marathon" sort of thing.

It could have been a cliffhanger, and undoubtedly the new studio will pick up on it and run with it. Personally, I always saw the ending of Halo 3 as a subtle "Halo could be the prequel to Marathon" sort of thing.

maybe it will be a Remake of Marathon, only now MC will be the player character.

More than likely, the Chief and Cortana

are at the Forerunner world described at the end of Ghosts of Onyx. If so, then we'll probably see Dr. Halsey and more Spartans too ;) .

Aren't Halsey and the other Spartans are stuck inside of a Micro Dyson Sphere that's inside of a compressed Slipstream?

Though, with what I've read on it, in the Halo universe time travel wouldn't be a stretch at all.

All of that said, Halo 3s ending was left gaping by Bungie. There's no reason another installment couldn't/shouldn't have come about.

Aren't Halsey and the other Spartans are stuck inside of a Micro Dyson Sphere that's inside of a compressed Slipstream?

Yep. And nearly five years later, what happens after that still hasn't been answered. They have more than one loose end to tie up.

thanks VT 1010.

sounds interesting. ill buy the PSV for sure.

one last question regarding the PSV: do you know if old PSP save data can be tranfered to the new flash based media or will it have a seperate slot for a memory card?

sorry...im at work so i cant really look this stuff up right now...

Just found this: http://ca.kotaku.com/5810223/remember-the-ps-vita-memory-and-game-cards-dont-forget/gallery/

Ok, if Halo 4 isn't milking...this probably is

Why? Fanboys have been raging for years how the first Halo game is the only good game out of the series. It's what people have been clamoring for. Besides, it's not like a half dozen other game franchises aren't also taking a double dip in the HD pond.

Why? Fanboys have been raging for years how the first Halo game is the only good game out of the series. It's what people have been clamoring for. Besides, it's not like a half dozen other game franchises aren't also taking a double dip in the HD pond.

Unless I can kill a buddy from half a map away with the pistol, I'm done with Halo.

Unless I can kill a buddy from half a map away with the pistol, I'm done with Halo.

They didn't change the gameplay mechanics at all for the campaign mode. You're supposed to be able to switch, on the fly, between the HD remaster and the original engine at will, just to prove that they didn't change anything other than the graphics.

They didn't change the gameplay mechanics at all for the campaign mode. You're supposed to be able to switch, on the fly, between the HD remaster and the original engine at will, just to prove that they didn't change anything other than the graphics.

then what's the point? Halo 1's campaign is crap, the level design was absolutely awful.

Anyone try the El Shaddai demo yet? The gameplay feels a little weak at the moment (there's basically a button to attack, a button to block, and a button to steal an enemy's weapon when you've beaten on him enough), but the visual presentation is quite stunning. My personal favorite moment in the demo is a short 2D platforming segment that has you jumping along waves.

Hail to the king, baby!

Duke Nukem Forever successfully launched, with no apocalyptic events occurring!

I'm having plenty of fun with it so far.

Though apparently the console versions are terrible terrible ports and to be avoided at all costs.

My biggest disappointment is that the packaging(yes, I bought retail) makes no mention of the award-winning development process.

Tempted to take some card stock and print up a Vaporware of the Year Edition box.

Edited by JB0

Hail to the king, baby!

Duke Nukem Forever successfully launched, with no apocalyptic events occurring!

I'm having plenty of fun with it so far.

Though apparently the console versions are terrible terrible ports and to be avoided at all costs.

My biggest disappointment is that the packaging(yes, I bought retail) makes no mention of the award-winning development process.

Tempted to take some card stock and print up a Vaporware of the Year Edition box.

I almost bought DNF yesterday, but after sitting down and reading some reviews, it sure is getting itself sh**ted all over. Is this some kind of new reviewer hot carl fad? Some of their complaints were just plain stupid... as if they were expecting another Halo or Call of Duty type of game. I can see the complaint in the "having only two guns" thing, but other than that... an Ego meter as health? Very interesting twist on the regenerating health concept that taints so many FPS games these days. I definitely would have preferred the health packs of the days of old, but I think the Ego meter is an interesting idea.

I just want to know what you guys think before I make any decisions. 50 bucks is a lot of discretionary spending for me right now, so I want to make sure that it's worth the money.

My 2 cents? Buy if you were a big fan of Duke Nukem. If not, the online game sequences look dated and clumsy. I got this feeling the reviewers got it right on this one, as in the tech and the acceptance of the Nukem attitude has since moved on.

The graphics for Duke Nukem was bland, all around. The textures were half done as you can see parts of the levels (the parts you're prevented from going into) with low res place holder textures. The animations aren't finished either, take a look at Duke jumping and it'll look like some kind of pogo stick. Over all it felt like an unfinished game or like a game that was developed in 2001 and released in 2011.