All Things Video Games Thread: II

Newest official artwork for Tribes Ascend:

post-1998-0-58810000-1305383622_thumb.jpg

This gravcycle is from last week or so:

post-1998-0-78550400-1305383762_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gui

None of the stores in my area have a 3DS out for display. Well, I saw my cousin today who happened to have bought one, and he was kind enough to show it to me. The only game he had was Pilotwings, which seemed pretty boring, but the 3D effect was pretty cool. I mean, at first it was blurry and hard to focus, but I eventually found a sweet spot. It was really interesting that, instead of popping out like a 3D movie, that it sort of falls inward. I could see the 3D effect being pretty cool in some games (like the Ace Combat game they're making), but I could also see myself turning 3D off to save batter on others.

I was also surprised at how heavy it was. When he handed it to me, I asked him if he had that Nyko battery case on the back of it or something, and he told me that it was just the system.

Still, while the tech is neat and while it does feel less... plasticky, I guess, than the DS Lite, I'm not convinced it's worth $250, especially with absolutely no games I want for it yet. Maybe I'll feel differently when Ace Combat or a new Castlevania comes out for it... and maybe I'll get lucky and find a used one or a price drop by then.

I personally love my 3DS, it's probably my favorite handheld of all time and I've been playing them since Gameboy. I will agree that its current library is a bit lacking, but I had similar feelings about the original DS and ultimately loved that system as well.

IMO the tech is cool, and the games coming out between now and holiday time are well worth the cost of the unit. That being said, I'm kind of a handheld nut, and I do love most things Nintendo does (the Wii hasn't been played since Zelda though).

• 2 weeks later...

Has any(every)one heard about Final Fantasy XIII - 2? What in the world? I was just browsing ebgames to be released lists and that popped up. I didn't know that they were making a sequel.... :unsure:

Why oh why can't sqaure enix focus on Versus 13 instead of milking 13 :(

Has any(every)one heard about Final Fantasy XIII - 2? What in the world? I was just browsing ebgames to be released lists and that popped up. I didn't know that they were making a sequel.... :unsure:

wait, what? EBgames still exists? :blink:

played for a while when it first came out but got bored with it and now I can't get into it again despite all the new content.

Give it another try. I am having SO much fun with it.

Square has been talking about making 3 games based around XIII since the announced it. They really should just cut the crap and remake 7 and 8...and 9. Square could make enough money off those (and probably just 7) to fund 10 projects.

I kinda liked the draw system to be honest, I can certainly understand why people wouldn't though.

As for the 7 remake, I think the should find a way to roll Crisis Core in with it somehow. It makes the storyline of 7 so much more cohesive. But if they HD remake it like other companies are starting to do with PSP games that'd work too.

On that note, anyone who missed MGS: Peacewalker, but has a PS3 will get a chance to play it on your home console.

I loved FF8, would be happy if they remade 7 or 8.

I give Square creativity points for wanting to try something new with the draw system, but it just felt awkward. Having replayed both 7 and 8 a few times over the years, I have to admit I like 8 better - just can't beat the OMG plot twists and revelations - "U MEAN ELLONE IS SQUALL'S ADOPTED SISTER AND LAGUNA IS SQUALL'S FATHER, WHO WAS ALSO IN LOVE WITH RINOA'S MOTHER??" :p ... and Ragnarok was the best looking FF airship hands down.

Bah. I've long ago lost any interest in any Final Fantasy past VI.

this.

I bought FF8 off of the PSN store to play and I just couldn't get into it at all. I think I'm over my infatuation with JRPGs for good now. I just don't fancy long, pointless walks, back and forth on a little trail that is hidden along pretty scenery. Waiting for the random, tedious battle featuring a complicated battle system that is complicated just to be complicated.

I just feel like the entire JRPG genre decided that the FF7 model was the one that everyone liked so they just set about remaking it, over and over and over and over again.

I still really like FF X. Never did replay 12. Will probably replay 13 some day.

Loved FF9. (except for the villain--and really, much of the story/plot-- it's more like, I loved 9's design/theme/music/art/style)

I still really like FF X. Never did replay 12. Will probably replay 13 some day.

Loved FF9. (except for the villain--and really, much of the story/plot-- it's more like, I loved 9's design/theme/music/art/style)

I liked VII, VIII, IX, and X enough to finish them, but almost certainly never replay them. I couldn't even finish XII or XIII.

XII was one of my favorites. I was pretty on the fence about it when it came out, but I really loved once I sat down and played it.

I still have a soft spot for JRPGs, there is a lot I do like about them. It really just depends on what I'm in the mood to play. I just cant figure out why Square wont bite the bullet and remake some of the most loved games in the FF series. I mean it seems like we've had about 14 remakes of 3 (or six depending on where you're from).

wait, what? EBgames still exists? :blink:

The website does but it's the same as Gamestop's. Until about 2(?) years ago some of the stores still had EB signage in my area though.

Bah. I've long ago lost any interest in any Final Fantasy past VI.

9's pretty good too but most people complain it's too easy with the exception of Ozma. For the record this is coming from someone who started with FF1 B))

I give credit to X-2 for having a job system again even if it was a "dress sphere system" and I guess 12's attempt to recreate WRPG's script system was admirable as well. Not a huge fan of either game though.

random, tedious battle featuring a complicated battle system that is complicated just to be complicated

EPIC WIN :ph34r:

Anyways, PSN is back up for PS3 users, though the "welcome back package" is not yet live. If things go they way they have been the past couple weeks, i wouldn't be surprised if Sony gets hacked while the package goes live or if the package gets postponed until August <_<

Edited by Archer

First pre-E3 news is out. MGS 2, 3 & Peacewalker HD collections with redrawn art & HD resolution. ZOE 1 & 2 same. I'm giddy as all hell. The release will be for both PS3 & 360.

For those that haven't heard, Welcome Back package is live, though if I were you, I'd wait a few days before trying to use it. Some of my free stuff disappeared when I exited the store to try and delete some other stuff to make room for the new free games. When I got back to the store, my free PS3 game tab 1 disappeared, so I could only download a single game (inFamous). If anyone knows a fix, please post a solution :(

If you lose your free games...

"If this happened, go to the XMB and under the PlayStation Network column, go to Account Management>Transaction Management>Services List>SCEA Promotions to download the game for that first slot."

Duke Nukem Forever demo hit for those that had it on pre-order. Played it a bit last night and I'm on the fence. It was enjoyable, and nostalgic but it didn't grab me like say...the Bulletstorm demo. Granted Bulletstorm died within 10 days or so after purchase so that doesn't mean anything.

I dunno, it just didn't seem as over the top in both content or gameplay as I might have thought. Though this may be intentional because anyone could pre-order and get a code for the demo. We'll just see though, I'll give it another playthrough or two before I decide.

Super stoked about the ZOE and MGS HD collections, it will finally give me a reason to dust the PS3 off and use it. I'm also hoping this E3 gives us some concrete info on Last Guardian.