Dammit, Pete - did you really need to quote all of those images?!? :angry:

Ooops. Sorry - I meant to just quote one image - the one with the RG RX-78-2 in it. Went back and edited the post so now there's just that image quoted :-)

Pete

So I am hooked on modeling again. I am currently waiting for my MGs Wing Zero Custom, Char Zaku II v. 2.0, and Sinanju. I also just ordered the HG 00 Raiser GN Sword III since it seems to be best incarnation of 00, I bit the bullet and bought the PG version and meh kind of upset me, wish i hadn't spent so much on it. I am really digging the new HG models compared to the ones I tried some 15 years ago. I am thinking about the HGUC Nu Gundam and Sazabi as their MGs from what i have researched aren't that great. Any other HGs i should be on the look out for? How's HG Arios? or even ZZ Gundam? I do want a decent ZZ gundam fig that does the transformation the MGs also seem like a pass there.

Edited by kanedaestes

So I am hooked on modeling again. I am currently waiting for my MGs Wing Zero Custom, Char Zaku II v. 2.0, and Sinanju. I also just ordered the HG 00 Raiser GN Sword III since it seems to be best incarnation of 00, I bit the bullet and bought the PG version and meh kind of upset me, wish i hadn't spent so much on it. I am really digging the new HG models compared to the ones I tried some 15 years ago. I am thinking about the HGUC Nu Gundam and Sazabi as their MGs from what i have researched aren't that great. Any other HGs i should be on the look out for? How's HG Arios? or even ZZ Gundam? I do want a decent ZZ gundam fig that does the transformation the MGs also seem like a pass there.

I've build HGUC ZZ Gundam, I think it's great. Proportion is good, and it's fun to build. Articulation is not that great, but that's a flaw from ZZ design itself. It's transformable but requires part-swapping. Some people may want perfect transformation, but it's perfectly fine for me.

For other HGs, try something from Unicorn line. Unicorn Gundam itself is good, but you need to buy both modes for completion sake. I heard good things about HGUC Sinanju, but I haven't own it myself. But if you want something plentiful, try HG Astraea Type F (the red one, not white). It's packaged with TONS of weapons. Plus since it's derived from HG Exia, you'll have leftover parts such as ALL Exia weapons and parts that you can use to convert Astraea into (red) Exia. The best thing is, it's under 2000 yen and only 200 yen more expensive than standard Astraea. I believe HG Astraea Type F is the most generous kit from Bandai, period :)

Yeah I built a HGUC Unicorn Destroy mode a month back. I'd have to say its one of the more disappointing builds I've had in a while. The articulation and engineering is just poor compared to other kits and leads to really very limited poseability options. If your just after a straight out of the box build then its as straightforward as any other HG kit. If you're after detailing and fully painting out the kit, then there are problems galore. First off, the polycaps are RED!!! Then there are sharp angles everywhere with transparent red pieces in every limb that makes painting and panel lining a chore. Then there's the poorly designed arm joint.

What irks me most about this kit is it seems BanDai almost forces you to buy both HG kits as each one has parts the other needs to get a complete set. Let me explain... the Destroy Mode is equipped with the Beam Magnum and extended shield... that's as far as weaponry this kit has... sure there are Four beam saber handles that come with this kit, but there are no BLADES, the blades are included in the normal mode kit. The Normal mode kit has 2 blades and beam handles, but it has no 'gun'. What it does have is a bazooka which has 2 modes. and this is the kit with the flayed extended palm hand while the destroy mode only has a gun and fist hand.

It really seems that BanDai winged it on this design or it may be that they are holding out and know how popular this Unicorn Series will be and will have multiple variants of the base Unicorn design pushed out in the future. Really disappointed with the Unicorns seeing as the other Suits in the Unicorn Series all seem superbly designed.

Now as for recommendations on HG Kits... I've recently been surprised at the quality of the 00 series of HG kits. Yeah sure the boxes leave something less to be desired (compared to the UC boxes), but the articulation on the 'Hero' Suits in this series are top notch. Simply having double-jointed knees has given this series a better standing on my 'to do list' of kits. And as mentioned by other posters, the 00 series of HG kits are relatively cheaper than similar caliber UC kits.

The HG Kishatshika (sp?) and Geara Douga almost got me into building HG on a larger scale, but ultimately I decided to focus on MG. I had built the initial HG Exia and a few of the other OO Gundams, but compared to MGs, they were not really that fun... and I don't really like the 1/144 scale....

Although I guess it depends on what you enjoy. I don't have them - but maybe one day I think I'd like to check out the new Gundam Wing stuff coming out in MG scale... the EW Deathscythe looks especially tantalizing...

But for now...I'm building the Red Frame Astray and focusing on it :-)

One at a time...

Pete

^It's Kshatriya.

As for HGUC Unicorn(s): It's a common sense that you must buy both modes or else it's lacking something. Yes, it's evil plan from Bandai but combined price is still lower than MG version. I bought HGUC Unicorn(s) simply because I'm indecisive; I like both modes, I don't want to buy the MG and posing it in one mode at a time. Two MGs are way expensive so I chose HGUC. I agree that it has several flaws, for non-transformable kit it should have much better articulation. But I don't mind, Unicorn is not for acrobatic poses, it looks great by just standing there :)

First off, the polycaps are RED!!!

I don't think that's a problem...all of them ended up hidden anyway.

Then there are sharp angles everywhere with transparent red pieces in every limb that makes painting and panel lining a chore

That's part of Destroy mode design, can't do much about it.

For the record I prefer Master Grades, but I also know a lot of them have better HG countparts like Sazabi and Nu Gundam from what I have read. That's what I really want to know which models make great master grades and which should i get the HG version for. As of now I have MK II v. 2.0, RX-78-2 v. 2.0, Zeta Gundam version 2.0, Wing Gundam, Wing Gundam ver KA, Exia Repair mode, and the others I stated above that I am still waiting for. MG Deathscythe Hell Custom if every goes well with it is going to be gorgeous, especially sitting next to WZC. I have noticed the HG 00 stuff seems to be worth y notice which is good because I hae some of the NG 1/100 scale stuff and meh. I prefer the scale of MGs to almost anything but the reality is a model that represents the anime figure the best with the least problems is what I am truly going for.

The HG Kishatshika (sp?) and Geara Douga almost got me into building HG on a larger scale, but ultimately I decided to focus on MG. I had built the initial HG Exia and a few of the other OO Gundams, but compared to MGs, they were not really that fun... and I don't really like the 1/144 scale....

Although I guess it depends on what you enjoy. I don't have them - but maybe one day I think I'd like to check out the new Gundam Wing stuff coming out in MG scale... the EW Deathscythe looks especially tantalizing...

But for now...I'm building the Red Frame Astray and focusing on it :-)

One at a time...

Pete

From one Peter to another....

I hate HGs. Build quality makes me feel its for 2 year olds. MGs/PGs/RGs and Kotobukiya AC/Zoids kits have spoiled me. On that note the RG are really challenging and fun! All the MG goodness rolled out in a smaller 1/44 package. You have to get the 2 kits available right now. I am really curios if they will attempt the Zeta? But you should at least try one PG. May I suggest the RX - 178

Edited by Snail00

Here is the some Construction pictures of the red frame.

Some words: Not very impressed. Had a small amount of runners for a PG. Some of my MG kits had more runners. I felt very underwhelmed. I know they re-used the PG Strike frame and I was in awe when I built that but MG technology has come so far that Bandai really needs to do something more with their PG. Right now the Legs and arms are the only things that really impressed me with this kit. The big disappointment with this kit is that I had to use camera shading stickers !!!! ALL of the previous PGs including the Strike the Camera eyes came with the eye-shadowing pre--colored/molded. Also, the Sword as nice as it is and my love for Shogun Robots I felt the MG Red Frames Swords were molded better. This was a bit of a cop out for Bandai reusing the frame. At the end of the build I was left with a mountain of plastic. I thought I would be impressed after the Disaster the 00 Raiser was. Granted their 12 inches of gundam goodness that do have a lot of neat features. But with MG getting better and better and Now RG raising the Bar, the PG SF better not disappoint. Otherwise the next PG I will have to pass on.

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

photo3.jpg

Their is torsion mechanics in the femur part of the leg. Although once the armor is one its becomes non functional.

Next Arm bits

DSC04746.jpg

DSC04745.jpg

DSC04744.jpg

DSC04743.jpg

DSC04742.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has purchased any thing or know of Gundam Store and more

http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/

I was think of ordering asome kits from them but before I do I wanted to check up on them to make sure they are good.

Thanks,

Ray

Have done business with then about a half dozen times. Haven't had a problem.

Ok, I haven't bought a Gundam kit in a couple of years at this point. What's currently a cheap place to get new kits from? (for people in the US) Specifically, I want the new HGFC Nobel Gundam. But a lot of places still list it as pre-order, and HLJ is sold out. Note I said cheap, not best-fastest---if it takes 4 weeks to get here, no problem, so long as it's a cheaper shipping option. Also, no "Paypal only" places.

Ok, I haven't bought a Gundam kit in a couple of years at this point. What's currently a cheap place to get new kits from? (for people in the US) Specifically, I want the new HGFC Nobel Gundam. But a lot of places still list it as pre-order, and HLJ is sold out. Note I said cheap, not best-fastest---if it takes 4 weeks to get here, no problem, so long as it's a cheaper shipping option. Also, no "Paypal only" places.

HW Japan. Nobel Gundam

They are always cheaper than HLJ for Gundam products even with HLJ's con job "our price" policy. HW Japan offer SAL Parcel. HLJ don't, they force you to use EMS for larger items. If HW Japan says it's a 3 day backorder the item is usually available the next day (I've never had to wait more than a couple of days even for items that are on 5 day backorder and they can get stuff that HLJ list as discontinued). They reserve items for you if your order contains items that are in stock as well as out of stock, unlike HLJ who will sell the in stock items out from under you while you wait for the out of stock items to come in. They take credit cards. The usual suspects I think as I've always used PP.

Edited by thegunny

hsha Pete

I finished mine first haha.

DSC04736.jpg

Nice. I just finished building the Mobile Suite last night. I need to add stickers/decals to his legs and build the weapons. Overall, it's a "typical" SEED design - layers of complication on one another.

I think I'll aim to build the Nu Gundam sometime in the next few months...

Pete

New gunpla news!

-Next RG is Aile Strike

-Next HGUC from Unicorn : Dreissen and Jegan (ECOAS type), Unicorn and Sinanju titanium finish

-Next MG : Wing ver.KaEW version (looks like ver.ka with less decal and display base adapter)

Source and pic HERE

RG Kinda of disappointed. I was hoping something UC and if something not UC something from Double 0. Sigh. Even me, for some of you who know I like seed gundams, I am getting sick of all the seed gundams.

Another MG KA wing WTF less decals? and a base adapter?

What?? Why do I need a MG Wing V.Ka with base adapters. There has to be something more to it. Maybe some fixes?

Anyway a regular stand works just fine

DSC04668.jpg

RG Kinda of disappointed. I was hoping something UC and if something not UC something from Double 0. Sigh. Even me, for some of you who know I like seed gundams, I am getting sick of all the seed gundams.

Another MG KA wing WTF less decals? and a base adapter?

What?? Why do I need a MG Wing V.Ka with base adapters. There has to be something more to it. Maybe some fixes?

Anyway a regular stand works just fine

About RG, HG 1/144 OO line is fairly new, and mostly good for 1/144. But HG SEED line is old, and HG Aile Strike (the 1st HG SEED) is outdated. I can't stand those dinky wings on Aile striker; update is certainly welcomed. Although I'm surprised too. I thought it's going to be Zeta or Gundam Mk.II. As for MG Wing EW there's not much info for now, but considering they already shown colored (not gray prototype)it's very likely that it's just the old ver.ka. Hopefully there's more than base adapter. I want fixed hand to hold that heavy buster rifle.

Anyway, this proves that Bandai is now unpredictable.

Edited by reeoyuy

Hm. Unicon-themed HG Gundams look worthwhile... Might just get me into building HGs! As for Gundam Wing - you know... I tried to get into that...but ultimately the colors are way to bright and there's something a tad too super-roboty about the designs... Maybe one day...

For now, I'm finally aiming to build a Nu Gundam and RE-GZ from Char's Counter Attack. I'm not at all sure I want to build a Sazabi though...

anybody got a Sazabi pic to inspire me? :-)

Pete

I prefer the original look of the Wing Gundams, and i believe they should go and release those before the Ver. Ka. I love my wing gundam and was hoping for MGs of the rest of the boys to round out the team and maybe even a tallgeese.

Hm. Unicon-themed HG Gundams look worthwhile... Might just get me into building HGs! As for Gundam Wing - you know... I tried to get into that...but ultimately the colors are way to bright and there's something a tad too super-roboty about the designs... Maybe one day...

For now, I'm finally aiming to build a Nu Gundam and RE-GZ from Char's Counter Attack. I'm not at all sure I want to build a Sazabi though...

anybody got a Sazabi pic to inspire me? :-)

Pete

DSC03475.jpg

Hm...Metalic coating version? Interesting. Maybe it's just the pose - but it looks kind of oafish :-) oh well...we'll see...

Pete

No, MG Sazabi is just fat and chubby. It's a poor sculpt, the HG is much better looking proportions-wise.