Gotta say, I've never been a huge fan of the "hero" mobile suits (though an MG of the Heavy Arms from "Endless Waltz" will get my attention). It's always been the grunt units that catch my interest. It would be nice to get MG versions of the GM Cannon, GM Cannon II (to complete the Stardust Memory collection), and GM Sniper II without having to resort to B-Club extra sets (now long out of production and just too expensive). I've got hopes for the GM Cannon II in the HGUC series since recent releases (RGM-79C and RGM-79N) seem to be topping off the Stardust Memory set.

On that note, here's my latest MG creation... an RGM-79[G] GM Sniper that I titled "Bad Month at the Office". Basic paint coat is Tamiya sprays and hand-brushed acrylics, with Gunze Gundam Markers for metallic green and chrome silver. Weathering is a combination of Gunze Gundam Markers (weathering set plus Gundam Silver), Tamiya Weathering Master pastels, Gunze brush-on pastels, and Tensocrom acrylic washes... plus a few files and a pin vise. :D The base is premade terrain for tabletop wargaming (can't remember for what game).

post-692-12965173414_thumb.jpg post-692-129651750217_thumb.jpg post-692-129651754159_thumb.jpg post-692-129651759202_thumb.jpg

post-692-129651765049_thumb.jpg post-692-129651769893_thumb.jpg post-692-129651773826_thumb.jpg post-692-129651778374_thumb.jpg

post-692-129651782569_thumb.jpg post-692-129651786677_thumb.jpg post-692-129651790195_thumb.jpg post-692-129651798395_thumb.jpg

post-692-129651802528_thumb.jpg post-692-129651808771_thumb.jpg post-692-129651812535_thumb.jpg post-692-129651817496_thumb.jpg

Edited by Penguin

Superb job. I've always been somewhat amazed by the Gundams and Gundam designs getting so much development, what with how the Gundam was initially just the prototype for the GM - technically, there have always been more GMs - but the Gundams have always been "better" - like in Char's Counter attack - the NU Gundam was clearly a more able machine than the GMs - because of the Funnels, and then later the psycho-frames...

So...Gundams are prototypes...but they're always pushing the envelop - and therefore by the time a mobile suit the like the GM is being mass produced, based on the RX-78-2 -- there's already new, better Gundams being made as...as what? Prototypes for new mass production suits?

Pete

Well, we see this progression from War in the Pocket, through Stardust Memory, to Zeta Gundam:

RX-78 NT-1 Alex Gundam (experimental design for Newtype MS) -> RGM-79N GM Custom (mass production) -> RGM-79Q GM Quel (protoype for new Gundam)) -> RX-178 Gundam Mk II (Titans elite unit)

So, sometimes GMs are prototypes for Gundams, and sometimes vice versa. If we consider the RX designation of the Gundams, X is normally a designation for experimental, not prototype. So, it seems that Gundams act more like technology demonstrators, like the VF-0, rather than true prototypes. Gundam advancements do make it into mass-production units. The GMIII in Gundam ZZ and later the Jegan in Char's Counterattack can be seen to have a jetpack inspired by the RX-178. But Gundams do not seem to lead directly to new mass-production MS in general.

Nice Work, Penguin. Good to know I'm not the only one that relies on spray cans and handbrushing. I've yet to try weathering. I like the bullethole effects.

Interesting discussion on the MG Nu and Sazabi. Nu's always been my favorite, so I've been meaning to get that kit. I like the 1/100 scale. Is the nu really that bad?

Speaking of the Kshatriya, how is the HGUC? I've seen it at my local shop (for an astronomical 70 bucks). I like the design, but I've seen focusing on MG.

I'm almost finished with my Bandai Patlabor Type X-0, so I'm thinking of picking a few kits up.

I like the 1/100 scale. Is the nu really that bad?

It's an old kit (released in 2000). If you own one MG around that time, you know what to expect. Lots of screws, no plug for weapons in palm, so-so articulation, etc. However, I think MG Nu is somewhat "high-end" release compared to another MG in the same era. It has full inner frame (rare at that time) and die-cast parts for stability. Overall it's great, I just don't like the proportion. If only they shrink the head and enlarge the shoulder armors, it'll be perfect.

BTW, if anybody wants it, PM me.

For free?

Thanks for the input, reeoyuy. I've built a first gen rx-78-2, s I'm familiar with the older MGs. In fact, the only other MG I've built is the MkII v2. All my other kits have been non-grade (a 1/100 rxF91, a Nadesico Aestivalis, some "action figure model kits" I gave little attention to [Mercurious and Blue Astrey] and my current Patlabor). Though I do have a MG Quebeley on tap, though the paintjob has it dead in it's tracks.

I'll take the raiser if it is free. :lol:

Hey, I just finished that kit. Mine is RXF-91A (kai) version but it came with all normal RXF-91 parts too.

And here I thought nobody interested on 1/100 Silhouette line ^_^

It was a kit I picked up at my local shop a few years back. I got it since it wasn't too pricey, and I liked the F91 movie (didn't know about the manga series at the time). It was my second serious (at in fully painted) mecha kit (after the Aestivalis), the first I ever used sprays on (for the white), and my first metallic paint job. Looking at her now, it's obvious she was an early paint attempt, but you learn with each kit. I know I've posted pictures in the past, but I'll take some new ones if you'd like. She's a little beat up at the moment (fin broke, and some fingers are missing).

^I'm thinking to pick up other kit from that line, like RX-99 Neo Gundam or F90Y Cluster Gundam. But maybe later when I get a chance to try spraypainting. Just leaving it out of the box and only using markers for detailing like I did isn't enough.

Pretty much. Like how I look at those action figure kit and they seem incomplete. I've always painted my kits, starting with my old WWII kits. My only issue with spraycans is the price. My shop just raised them to 7 bucks a can. It's like how I got my MkII at AX for 25 bucks. It was the first kit I ever did entirely sprayed (except the yellow, so little to justify buying a can) The paint probably cost twice the price of the model. So I might go back to handpainting or seriously consider getting an airbrush.

So, G-System-Shop just finished their 1/72 Kshatriya.....

Personally, I think it is simply AMAZING, the best kit done by them so far! Outstanding!!!

G269-056.JPG

And yes, pretty much everything (except for the funnels themselves ironically) light up. The inner thrusters on each of the binders, the two mega-particle guns on each of the binders, the four on the front chest, the exhausts under the front skirt armor, and the verniers on the back of each leg!

http://www.g-system-shop.com/product_info.php?scale_id=12&products_id=151

Edited by Archer

I like all the pictures above my post. The Kshytiria is great - but I'm still going to hold out for a 1:100 Mastergrade ... the HG core fighter is beautifully painted...man would I like to do that to my stuff...maybe one day I'll find the time to learn how to paint models... the other Gundams are also neato.

Pete (a bit plastered)

So, G-System-Shop just finished their 1/72 Kshatriya.....

Personally, I think it is simply AMAZING, the best kit done by them so far! Outstanding!!!

G269-056.JPG

And yes, pretty much everything (except for the funnels themselves ironically) light up. The inner thrusters on each of the binders, the two mega-particle guns on each of the binders, the four on the front chest, the exhausts under the front skirt armor, and the verniers on the back of each leg!

http://www.g-system-shop.com/product_info.php?scale_id=12&products_id=151

Am I reading that webpage correctly? $649.00 for a kit?

Am I reading that webpage correctly? $649.00 for a kit?

This thing looks like it was molded in color. I sent an email asking if it was. If so I am buying it. Sure its almost 800 bucks but one Full G-System Gundam is worthy in a collection.

Just wonder if Resin can be flat coated?

This thing looks like it was molded in color. I sent an email asking if it was. If so I am buying it. Sure its almost 800 bucks but one Full G-System Gundam is worthy in a collection.

I am pretty sure the pieces are molded in color, but I am fairly positive that the one in their demonstration pics is in fact painted, and if it is not painted, I am pretty sure that it has gone through adequate clean up, decaling, touch up painting, and flat coating :)

I wish I had the talent to make something that looks that awesome :o

As time goes on, I miss my MG Exia. I built it but then had to sell it a while back. I had the ignition mode. Insofar as I wasn't bowled over by the OO anime, and I've heard some negative things about the Trailblazer movie - I will admit that while vaguely non-complex, the MG Exia was a fine Gundam - if for no other reason than it was unique and extremely poseable. I think I might like to try to acquire a new kit to build of it... But for now, I'm itching to maybe one day get my hands on a Nu Gundam kit.

I've also been thinking about enemy mecha. I have the UC Char and Gouf, and I guess I should maybe try to acquire some other Zeon stuff, but I'm repelled by the Sazabii... it does seem a bit ungainly and bulky... The red mecha from Unicorn looks cool though; although a bit too overly complex... and... I'd have to get the Unicorn too :-)

Oh well - lots of goodness ahead...

I think instead of wondering about future Gundams, I should get around to reviewing the Red Frame Astray I just built - I'm really happy with it... just need to build the stand so I can put it in some killer poses :-)

Pete

The bottom pics in the G-system page show the individual parts in the normal color molded way. They do look very nice, I think a straight build would look at least like a Bandai kit does.

Nearly $700 bucks to "at least look like a Bandai kit does." :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I mean that in terms of color in just a straight build. Yeah It's expensive as hell; but look at the parts description and you see parts made out of rubber, copper, alluminium made rivets, leds, hard and soft plastic parts... not just a bunch of bone colored resin like other overpriced kits. That and it's huge.

Really, it's the only expensive as f* kit that I """would consider""" buying.

I mean that in terms of color in just a straight build. Yeah It's expensive as hell; but look at the parts description and you see parts made out of rubber, copper, alluminium made rivets, leds, hard and soft plastic parts... not just a bunch of bone colored resin like other overpriced kits. That and it's huge.

Really, it's the only expensive as f* kit that I """would consider""" buying.

I think the point is that to spend $700 on a resin kit and then just slap it together without any kind of paint/detailing like it was a cheap snap-kit makes no sense.

Personally I've got no interest in getting one because: 1)it's crazy expensive even if it is worth it, 2)I don't like the way G-system kits look, and 3)1/72 is a weird scale for a gundam model. That said, if I were to get one I'd want to paint the whole thing and detail the hell out of it. As a $700 kit, it better look 10 times better than a $70 kit on my shelf.

Edited by anime52k8

I think the point is that to spend $700 on a resin kit and then just slap it together without any kind of paint/detailing like it was a cheap snap-kit makes no sense.

Personally I've got no interest in getting one because: 1)it's crazy expensive even if it is worth it, 2)I don't like the way G-system kits look, and 3)1/72 is a weird scale for a gundam model. That said, if I were to get one I'd want to paint the whole thing and detail the hell out of it. As a $700 kit, it better look 10 times better than a $70 kit on my shelf.

Got it in one :)

Would be interesting to see one of these kits side by side with a Bandai kit made with no holds barred by a professional model maker such as Master Kawaguchi or Fuhrer Sakurai who were both featured in action on a DVD in the Jan Dengeki Hobby magazine.

I was just going through some video reviews of the MG Quanta since I bought it and its in transit and I came across the PG 00. His final thought mimic my own and he summed up the negatives and positives in a way I wish I had before seen than just buying the kit from excitement.

I was just going through some video reviews of the MG Quanta since I bought it and its in transit and I came across the PG 00. His final thought mimic my own and he summed up the negatives and positives in a way I wish I had before seen than just buying the kit from excitement.

Ha, I was warning people off this kit back in dec of 2009

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=27447&st=980

Am I the only one that actually likes the PG 00-Raiser?

seems so

But if the kit cost between 100 or 150 dollars I think its pretty good but at the price point no way especially if I compare it to my Red Frame, Strike, GP01FB, SF, RX-78, MK II, Wing, Zaku, Zeta

Edited by Snail00