That alone's not enough. It'd have to be pretty much un-articulated as well. It's easy to light up a torso. Feet and hip armor are much harder.

Given that this is Bandai, they probably can come up with a way. Would you tolerate multiple on/off switches on the Unicorn, or would you rather have one switch on it?

Btw, sooooo, does anyone have the HGUC Dendrobium Orchis? Is it any good?

I do. It's huge, and fairly impressive, so it takes a lot of space to display but it's worth displaying. It's got a good drop-down panel to help the Stamen dock, and you can flip the inner disc on the I-field generator for closed or open position. The containers and the cannon barrel are detachable after assembly for storage. The spring-mechanism in the containers that help the various missile loads eject can be a little problematic (sticks some times). That's the only issue I have.

Btw, sooooo, does anyone have the HGUC Dendrobium Orchis? Is it any good?

I have the kit as well. Like Penguin said, the thing is huge. It's also quite detailed.

It's so big, that when I bought it at Anime Expo '02, I think it was, I actually had to check it in as baggage for my flight home.

I do. It's huge, and fairly impressive, so it takes a lot of space to display but it's worth displaying. It's got a good drop-down panel to help the Stamen dock, and you can flip the inner disc on the I-field generator for closed or open position. The containers and the cannon barrel are detachable after assembly for storage. The spring-mechanism in the containers that help the various missile loads eject can be a little problematic (sticks some times). That's the only issue I have.

I have the kit as well. Like Penguin said, the thing is huge. It's also quite detailed.

It's so big, that when I bought it at Anime Expo '02, I think it was, I actually had to check it in as baggage for my flight home.

Yeah, the main thing that appealed to me is the sheer size of the thing. Looks like a lot of fun as well with all the detail and extra bits.

And even more so, the containers and contents of the weapon rack looks really playable and fun to display with as well! One thing I guess i should add is

a question I guess. I really like this kit, but my favorite PG (GP-01) is also around the same price. Which one do you think is worth the pick - up?

And to the MG Epyon, yes, it does look terrible :p

- I don't really get the whole wing design as well as shoulder plates. Even more so, the thing just looks really.....wrong to me (Random teeth on the feet?)

I brought up light-up gimmick topic and then later found this blog post on LED customization guidefrom this month Hobby magazine. If only we can get those custom parts easily.

Bandai's video game division seems to remember how it looked on TV. :p This design is slightly tweaked, but it is SLIGHT.

Don't ask Katoki to make his re-design look a lot like Okawara's. He won't listen :p. But if you don't like this EW incarnation, relax. Someday, in unknown future, Bandai will release MG Epyon TV version. There's still market for that.

a question I guess. I really like this kit, but my favorite PG (GP-01) is also around the same price. Which one do you think is worth the pick - up?

Have you check Dalong's review? As big and expensive it is, HGUC Dendrobium is still HGUC, not MG or PG. So you won't have crazy inner details or light-up gimmick like PG. It doesn't even comes with sticker/decal sheets.

Is there a good match for "common purple-grey" like is used on weapons, thrusters, etc? I usually use Testor's Intermediate Blue but it's just a smidge too "blue" and not "lavender". Has to come in a spray can, too. Would like to find something from Tamiya, as their spray cans are just that much better/smoother.

Slightly OT, but why couldn't they have just done this for the MG Epyon:

Bandai's video game division seems to remember how it looked on TV. :p This design is slightly tweaked, but it is SLIGHT.

because then it wouldn't be a Katoki Epyon, it would just be regular Epyon. :p

It's an version EW Epyon so it's going to look different so that it will match the other EW gundams. Personally I LOVE the way it looks. It hits all the esthetic points that matter when it comes to making it look like Epyon and the points that are different make it look more intricate and mechanical. I'll definitely buy it, and if they come out with a regular Epyon latter I'll buy that to. ^_^

Edited by anime52k8

Have you check Dalong's review? As big and expensive it is, HGUC Dendrobium is still HGUC, not MG or PG. So you won't have crazy inner details or light-up gimmick like PG. It doesn't even comes with sticker/decal sheets.

Well, detailing and stuff on the raw kit isn't too big a deal for me mostly because I plan on painting the kit when I do have it, and I am not too much a stickler when it comes to inner detail.

Anyways, on a side note, for those of you that do have it, can you take the thing off of the stand they provide, or is it permanently attached (thinking of some display options)

It just so happens I have that PG too. Of the two, if I could only choose one, it would be the PG. With more poseability and display options, I find it more personally enjoyable to display... although most visitors to my place would comment on the HGUC GP03, but not the PG GP01. :p

Is there a good match for "common purple-grey" like is used on weapons, thrusters, etc? I usually use Testor's Intermediate Blue but it's just a smidge too "blue" and not "lavender". Has to come in a spray can, too. Would like to find something from Tamiya, as their spray cans are just that much better/smoother.

Tamiya AS-4 spray is listed as gray violet, but I've never used it, so I don't know how close it is. My local hobby shop never seems to have it in stock. Looks promising from the colour chart picture, for what that's worth. I've always used the Gundam marker variant, or brushed a mix of Tamiya XF66 light gray mixed with flat white and purple to get that colour.

Well, detailing and stuff on the raw kit isn't too big a deal for me mostly because I plan on painting the kit when I do have it, and I am not too much a stickler when it comes to inner detail.

Anyways, on a side note, for those of you that do have it, can you take the thing off of the stand they provide, or is it permanently attached (thinking of some display options)

It`s not permanently attached to the display stand, but it does attach very securely.

Edited by Penguin

Tamiya AS-4 spray is listed as gray violet, but I've never used it, so I don't know how close it is. My local hobby shop never seems to have it in stock. Looks promising from the colour chart picture, for what that's worth.

"AS-4 gray-violet" I'd bet a lot of money on being WW2 Luftwaffe "grau-violett". Might work though.

An alternative to lightup kits is painting in florescent paint. You get some nifty effects.

That's not a bad look. What brand do you use?

Edited by Penguin

I've gone and dug the last of my unbuilt MG kits out of the closet - it's the Nu Gundam. I'm aiming/hoping to build him in a couple of weeks...Anybody here got some nice, inspiring pictures of their finished model up? :-)

Pete

When the PG Wing Zero Custom was re-released, I ordered a spare sprue "A" from HLJ to do some experimenting/replacements to see if I can improve on some of the more visible bits. (this sprue includes all the yellow, clear green, and most of the chest armor). My "clear yellow over silver" for the yellow bits never did turn out that well (Tamiya clear yellow is so sticky and clumpy no matter how you thin it) so I plan to strip them and try just some "bright brass" spray paint or something--with the new set of plain yellow ones as a backup in case they're ruined in the attempt.

I've also noticed over the years that the wings are made of a slightly different plastic than normal, and my standard "Pigma Micron" ink NEVER really dried on them. It's been like a decade now! So I've been removing the over-done inking (really, it's hard to make those wings look good, short of master-level skilled airbrushing of various shades of very pale blue and grey which is beyond my abilities).

Anyways, I've been considering ways to make the wings look better. Spraying clear pearl over them sounds like a quick and easy way, but colors like that tend to be VERY sensitive to how much is in a given spot, and like clear green etc----even SLIGHT thickness variations and pooling tend to be very visible. Simply replacing the thick black ink with thinner lines of grey inking (combination of better equipment plus a few more years experience) I'm certain will make them look better, but I'd really like to make them look, you know, "angelic". But that's really hard with solid blocks of white plastic and rubber feathers... (I need to see if I can order a spare feather or two as well--one discolored on the tip, never figured out how/why---almost a rust color)

(I need to see if I can order a spare feather or two as well--one discolored on the tip, never figured out how/why---almost a rust color)

I had a couple like that on mine as well. There is a thin strip of metal inside each wing... wonder if it is actually rust leaching through or something?

I have a hard time believing it's worse than the 00 kit.

I dunno. I know the 00 has its frame issues and what - not (i.e. lack of inner details etc.), but I really liked it for what it is. They tried something new, and it wasn't half bad imho. Also, there was a lot of new stuff introduced with the kit, such as condensors, and even moving motor parts (no matter how insignificant they were). Lastly, I thought that overall, it may not have been perfect, but it was a good attempt at the 00, and I liked it for what it was. I would even go as far as to say that it is (as of now) the best representation of the 00 raiser, and most likely will be so, unless the upcoming MG can top it.

Beyond that, it was an all new kit, and not a remake of an old frame ^_^

I dunno, but there has just been a lot of bashing of the 00, so I thought I'd throw in my $0.02 to help out the other side :)

I guess it doesn't help to much that I am a fan of the 00 design though :p *looks at profile pic*

Edited by Archer

Green eye parts----had a thought. My first Gundam kits were the 1/144 and 1/100 Gundam Wing ones. Most of the 1/100 ones had the "eye and head sensor" piece molded in a neon-green clear plastic. I thought it worked very well. But I never see it any more. Do any recent kits do that? Most go with a crystal-clear plastic. IMHO that sucks, as most of them are WAY too small to easily light, the super-clear plastic is brittle, and the parts are always too deep to attempt to use silver paint to create a reflection etc. And not to mention that it's very hard to see where the eye outlines are on that super-clear plastic. You just end up having to paint it opaque green and black anyways.

Or in general---are "colored transparent" plastics used much any more for anything other than beam saber blades? (and Unicorn Destroy mode). Lately it seems Bandai is just molding everything in crystal clear, even when the part would need to be 100% painted to look right (MG Wing for example--every part that's molded clear needs to be trans-green). And due to how transparent paints visibly "pool" around every tab, nook, cranny, and sprue mark, if they were molded in color the final result would look more even.

In short--I miss the formerly-common clear-neon-green parts.