Macross Frontier Movie 1,YES it is subbed now edition

sharky

It be funny if they're starting up talks again for a US release of the blu-ray since the US and Japan are in the same region code.

Here's hoping Bandai does put English subtitling on the blu-ray for the hell of it.

Edited by shiroikaze

It would be a great getaround to the blockade thing, and would probably boost the sales of their DVDs/BRs, but they haven't done this so far, so I'm not counting on it. You should write a letter to Bandai about it. I have, and I'm sure others have also. If the request got big enough, they'd probably pay attention.

I actually wonder how well Unicorn did. BV aren't stupid, they know there's a U.S. fanbase, and they also know that there are problems getting the show licensed here. They've shown in the past that they're quite willing to include english subtitles on bluray releases they plan on releasing in both countres, Jin-Roh, Honneamise, the Gunbuster/Diebuster movie set, and now Unicorn. The real question agian is, was Unicorn profitable enough to make someone high up in the company say "if we include english subs, we may get a noticeable boost in import sales."

I actually wonder how well Unicorn did. BV aren't stupid, they know there's a U.S. fanbase, and they also know that there are problems getting the show licensed here. They've shown in the past that they're quite willing to include english subtitles on bluray releases they plan on releasing in both countres, Jin-Roh, Honneamise, the Gunbuster/Diebuster movie set, and now Unicorn. The real question agian is, was Unicorn profitable enough to make someone high up in the company say "if we include english subs, we may get a noticeable boost in import sales."

See, and proof there, I'd buy it instead of downloading it just based on that. They should try it out, especially on a movie, since it's a one shot deal, and do a little market research and see if online, or overseas sales increase. May be interesting to do for them. It'd probably be a worthwhile endeavor to go ahead with.

No need for import sales with Unicorn, it was released in the US right around the same time as in Japan. Its sales would go into the "how do we do when we do a simultaneous international release" pile.

http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Gundam-Unicor...5807&sr=8-1

I've often wondered why Bandai does not just put their own English subtitling on their Macross releases. I suppose it's something to do with the HG copyrighting, but what's the harm in putting English subs on your DVD? All the movies we buy here in the States often have 3 or 4 languages available in subtitle form. You wouldn't even have to market it to the US. Most of the true die-hard fans will know where and how to get it and when it's due to be released. Oh well... the mysteries of life...

I've often wondered why Bandai does not just put their own English subtitling on their Macross releases. I suppose it's something to do with the HG copyrighting, but what's the harm in putting English subs on your DVD? All the movies we buy here in the States often have 3 or 4 languages available in subtitle form. You wouldn't even have to market it to the US. Most of the true die-hard fans will know where and how to get it and when it's due to be released. Oh well... the mysteries of life...

Translations and proofreading can be quite expensive, so you have to be confident that your market i big enough to be worth the extra investment.

Whilst translating and putting subtitles on for a 25 episode series might be a bit too risky, a two hour film should be doable.

HG wouldn't be able to do anything to prevent Bandai from putting subtitles for a Japanese domestic release. You can just argue that it's for use of the large expat community living in Japan.

HG wouldn't be able to do anything to prevent Bandai from putting subtitles for a Japanese domestic release. You can just argue that it's for use of the large expat community living in Japan.

Most region 2 anime DVDs don't even have Japanese hearing impaired subs so I don't think spending money on English subs is going to happen anytime soon even if HG folded. Most expat communities don't watch anime.

No need for import sales with Unicorn, it was released in the US right around the same time as in Japan. Its sales would go into the "how do we do when we do a simultaneous international release" pile.

http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Gundam-Unicor...5807&sr=8-1

Oh I know, I was more referring to its sales as mecha anime in general over here on bluray, than anything. If it sold well, it would be a determining factor in future similar anime on bluray with english subs.

Best thing to do: email Bandai, and make the interest known. For Macross, the U.S. and countries elsewhere are a market known, but probably not researched in detail, as it is a Japan only title. Perhaps they need enough interest to generate it, and since this is a market maybe not so well known, perhaps writing letters are a way to help. Long shot, yes I know. But wondering about it never did anything either.

Most region 2 anime DVDs don't even have Japanese hearing impaired subs so I don't think spending money on English subs is going to happen anytime soon even if HG folded. Most expat communities don't watch anime.

Not to mention that expats make up such a small portion of the population. Last I heard, expats make up less than 1 percent of Japan's population. Doesn't seem like a very favorable argument for including English subtitles on Japanese DVDs or Blurays.

Well, I didn't realize that it was a substantial resource drain to have subtitling done in additional languages. I just imagined that it'd be a weekend project for someone to work on, lol. Of course, it requires someone who is very fluent in both languages AND the cultures of both countries to get the translations right. I understand that those people are far and few between because I've seen some really crappy subtitling work done out there. As far as Frontier's subtitling goes, I have only seen Shinsen and LunarAnime subs. LA was a step up in quality and accuracy, but Shinsen did a halfway-decent job... except on the song lyrics :rolleyes:

Not to mention that expats make up such a small portion of the population. Last I heard, expats make up less than 1 percent of Japan's population.

"In 2003, there were 1,915,030 registered foreigners in Japan, representing 1.5% of Japan's population of 127 million. "

http://www.wa-pedia.com/gaijin/foreigners_in_japan.shtml

The link also has a handy pie chart showing the breakdown. Given those demographics, it's not surprising why English subtitles aren't on Japanese releases. But on the other hand, it's somewhat surprising that the languages of the two largest groups aren't.

Hell Yeahh!!!!

Okay...I'd like to ask a question, if I may. Since a movie is a creation of visuals and sound, why do you want to watch a version of it where you can barely see the visuals, and barely hear the sound?

Just curious.

Okay...I'd like to ask a question, if I may. Since a movie is a creation of visuals and sound, why do you want to watch a version of it where you can barely see the visuals, and barely hear the sound?

Just curious.

Same reason people downloaded KeyHoleTV just to watch low quality live streams of MacF as it was airing (which you couldn't understand anyways since there where no subtitles).

any fix is better than no fix. :rolleyes:

Just curious.

I watch all my favorites series from JustinTV so i dont care much about hd's or fullhd's.

Btw, already saw it and Dude, first hour is full of altoxsheryl B))

Ah, you're one of THOSE people, eh...? :ph34r:

Im not in the mood to play 20 questions so I hope you can say directly, WHICH KIND of people are the ones who should be around here??

Edited by arthas

Im not in the mood to play 20 questions so I hope you can say directly, WHICH KIND of people are the ones who should be around here??

alto/ranka people. Folk here don't take kindly to Sheryl. Folk here are often wrong.

alto/ranka people. Folk here don't take kindly to Sheryl. Folk here are often wrong.

Sheryl fans are fine...I'm one myself. It's the ZOMG!ALTOxSHERIRU!ORGASMUNCONTROLLABLY!! people that I can't stand...that's just me, though. :)

Sheryl fans are fine...I'm one myself. It's the ZOMG!ALTOxSHERIRU!ORGASMUNCONTROLLABLY!! people that I can't stand...that's just me, though. :)

Oh, THOSE people. Yeah, those people aren't wanted. ^_^

Edited by eugimon

QFT!!! I'm a fan of the Sheryl character as well, however, I find it quite funny when people get hot an bothered over a drawn lines and color that represent people. It's actually quite hilarious, but to each their own.

Well, someone's got to be really disappointed, then. Only 3 of the 4 parts of the camrip file are "out" because the 3rd one won't be "published" until someone donates money to the uploader. :lol: That's hilarious.

Someone will pay money for it. Just like the sad chap who paid money for the G4 iPhone and is now causing a whole bunch of people trouble. Paying money for a camrip...good grief.

And lets keep that Alto x Sheryl vs. Alto x Ranka nonsense to Animesuki. Now Sheryl x Alto x Ranka... :wub: Oh wait....*goes to the MW pr0n library*

Someone will pay money for it. Just like the sad chap who paid money for the G4 iPhone and is now causing a whole bunch of people trouble. Paying money for a camrip...good grief.

And lets keep that Alto x Sheryl vs. Alto x Ranka nonsense to Animesuki. Now Sheryl x Alto x Ranka... :wub: Oh wait....*goes to the MW pr0n library*

What? No "shipping wars"? What kind of a website are you trying to run here??? :D

anywhere i can preview this movie before buying it?

Honestly, were you planning to buy it anyways? Isn't this what movie previews are, to get you interested in the movie? Look on youtube for the movie preview.