Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.5

azrael

Don't know the official reason, but I find gloss finish looks too... toy like. glossy finish looks cheap and kiddish to me. matte finish looks more fitting for something that is supposed to be a war machine.

I couldn't agree more. I prefer matte or semi-gloss over plastic gloss. Plastic gloss just looks toyish and cheap to me, especially glossy white plastic. That looks the worst. Gloss paint however doesn't look bad.

Another added benefit of the semi-gloss texture the Yamatos have is that fingerprints are practically non-existent. Whereas you can easily see finger prints and other smudges on the old M+ 1/72 toys and the Bandai DXs (the new VF-25s and the old M7 toys).

I couldn't agree more. I prefer matte or semi-gloss over plastic gloss. Plastic gloss just looks toyish and cheap to me, especially glossy white plastic. That looks the worst. Gloss paint however doesn't look bad.

Another added benefit of the semi-gloss texture the Yamatos have is that fingerprints are practically non-existent. Whereas you can easily see finger prints and other smudges on the old M+ 1/72 toys and the Bandai DXs (the new VF-25s and the old M7 toys).

gloss paint looks good but then you run the risk of chipping whenever you handle it. (anyone who disagrees needs to have a talk with my 1/72 VF-19A <_< )

even my SOC EVA-02 has paint chipping and handled it all of 2-3 times lightly after I got it.

Wow, I had no idea the anti-glossy sentiments were so strong here. Gone are the days of widespread MW Chunky love I guess. -_-

I'm just happy the sweet, sweet DX 25s are nice and glossy. They're like candy. Yummers! :wub:

I wont go there with the "toy" argument, but I still will not let anyone (kid or adult) touch my yammies if they don't have any current experience with yammies.

I guess the same goes for not touching my DXs' simply because of cost and limited runs. If anything breaks, it's not easy to say "hey you owe me $150!" lol.

Ahhh geezz... all the debates about the glossiness/dullness of the finishes still?

I'd have to say that with all Bandai's limited releases the glossiness wouldn't have too much of a toy effect/feel once it's emptied your wallet! LOL

***EDIT***

Glossy, Matt, Flat... ahhh...... the expensive intoxicating bliss of it all. Hmm... it must be the chemicals from all the plastic, metal, finishes/coats/paint. LOL

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Two questions about these DX toys, as observed when I got mine last night:

1. Do the air intake covers come off? I tried taking them off, like my Yamato line but did not weant to risk breaking something.

2. Why is the RVF-25 two differnt tones of blue/green? Is it the material (plastic vs. metal)?

1. Intakes do not come off. They are not removable. Don't even try.

2. Different plastic composition is the answer to the question of different colored plastic in the Bandai DX Macross Frontier toy line.

1. Intakes do not come off. They are not removable. Don't even try.

2. Different plastic composition is the answer to the question of different colored plastic in the Bandai DX Macross Frontier toy line.

Thanks. I thought different plastics was the answer. Was this intentional ora mistake. I can't remember what the RVF color looks like in the series......

Thanks. I thought different plastics was the answer. Was this intentional ora mistake. I can't remember what the RVF color looks like in the series......

The most likely explanation is that green is notoriously hard to color-match. I assume Bandai got as close as they were able to with the time/money they had allotted to the release. It is also worth mentioning that the difference varies quite dramatically depending on camera, lighting, monitor, and the human eye. Some people can notice it clearly when looking at it in their hand, others can't seem to tell much of a difference. Basically the only way you're going to know exactly what it looks like to you is by holding one in your hand.

Edited by eriku

Or holding it up to a black light (Ultra Violet).

I believe it was for technical reasons and to reduce the costs of production they used a lesser grade plastic for other (non/less mechanical) parts of the DX. I posted something about this theory a couple pages back.

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Are there any transformation videos out there for these toys? Checking the instructions, I am clueless! :blink:

EDIT: Scratch that! Just had to get off my lazy ass and "look" through the instructions. Wasn't half bad and you get a sense of accomplishment from knocking it out on your own!

Edited by MacrossMan

Are there any transformation videos out there for these toys? Checking the instructions, I am clueless! :blink:

Wizartar has a very nice transformation video :

There is an additional step to the transformation, you can pop the waist out of a very stiff connection from the cockpit and get a little bit of waist swivel going on. This is good for popping the cod piece forward like it is shown in the show.

You have the Luca RVF-25, so be mindful of the sensor wing attached to the left arm of the battroid mode. There are three "tips" at the end of this sensor array, they can break if you force the wing tip against something "immobile". I just pull the wing arm out, and extend the wing so it is away from the main body during transformation so that it doesn't get in the way (and broken) while I am moving the various other parts around.

If the Radome is a pain during the transformation just remove it and put it back on when you get to the desired mode.

Edited by thirty

I see Overdrive now has the Alto Armored parts up to:

http://www.over-drive-inc.com/store/produc...roducts_id=1441

Does anyone know if there will be problems with the first gen Alto VF-25s and the Armored parts? I just picked one up and was wondering how you tell the first release and the second release apart?

Oh and $110! I could buy another VF-25 for that price! God I hate these web exclusives.

Edited by logos

I see Overdrive now has the Alto Armored parts up to:

http://www.over-drive-inc.com/store/produc...roducts_id=1441

Does anyone know if there will be problems with the first gen Alto VF-25s and the Armored parts? I just picked one up and was wondering how you tell the first release and the second release apart?

Oh and $110! I could buy another VF-25 for that price! God I hate these web exclusives.

i second that. i have a first release alto and want to know if the armor pack will be compatible with it before i click on the pre-order.

Hi guys, I was wondering how could you tell the first version of alto and the reissue apart?

Is there something on the label of the box to tell it apart?

I was planning to buy an alto dx but i was afraid i could get the first batch with problems

Hi guys, I was wondering how could you tell the first version of alto and the reissue apart?

Is there something on the label of the box to tell it apart?

I was planning to buy an alto dx but i was afraid i could get the first batch with problems

I have a 2nd version, but I do not seem to find any indication on the box.

I am afraid that the sure way is to look at the content... There should be 2 rectangular holes on the back, behind the head.

I have a 2nd version, but I do not seem to find any indication on the box.

I am afraid that the sure way is to look at the content... There should be 2 rectangular holes on the back, behind the head.

i see , so the 2nd version has 2 rectangular holes on the back, thanks

anyone has links on a picture of the said holes?

i second that. i have a first release alto and want to know if the armor pack will be compatible with it before i click on the pre-order.

Third that. Frack it. I've got all four toys (well, 2 or on the way via boat) and some of the web exclusives. Refuse to buy the sound boosters and 1 Ghost addon for $100 ea. I'll pick up the Ozma with fixed neck and full armor but that's it. I'm done with the Bandai DX. Price for these new toys/web exclusives are BS.

The difference between the 2 versions...

3329117073a7daffb722.jpg

3329117123fc951c3776.jpg

Looking at it again, and I was wrong to say that the fold booster would fit on the old version. So the old version only has 2 holes? The new one has six...

Edited by ff95gj

The difference between the 2 versions...

3329117073a7daffb722.jpg

3329117123fc951c3776.jpg

Looking at it again, and I was wrong to say that the fold booster would fit on the old version. So the old version only has 2 holes? The new one has six...

a.jpg

this is the reissue right?

pic taken from vic01