Strike a Pose! Ver. 3.0

yup, don't buy from them, they're scam artists. A lot of bait and switch there's a bunch of companies who basically run the same scam. They post super low prices and when you order it will be back ordered or they'll try to get you to buy their "camera bundles" which will be obscenely expensive. If you don't buy it then your order will never ship, they won't answer the phone or emails and you'll have to get you CC involved.

Buy from Amazon, they have low prices and work with reputable retailers.

And just buy the body and pick out a decent lens yourself. The kit lenses universally suck. Remember, if you shoot a lot, a body will only last around 5 years. A good lens will last decades. If you're starting out, best to pick an affordable body and spend the money on a good lens.

And think about whether you want full frame or cropped when buying lenses. A lot of lenses are made specifically for cropped sensors and won't work right on a full frame sensor. Something to consider.

Edited by eugimon

Yeah if you look at your link, you can see they were only selling the camera body, so you would have a camera with no lens and couldn't do anything. The camera itself is pretty much what I got, but pay attention to whom you buy from and make sure it has a lens and everything a basic package is supposed to have. For now I am going to settle on the normal lens until a few months from now. I have to divide my money between new gadgets and stuff for school, and new valks. Got to have your priorities in order.

Edited by kanedaestes

also stay away from bingocameras.com theyre the same company as sonic cameras

i stongly suggest to buy your stuff from amazon or B&H photos (my favorite)

Canon EOS Rebel XSi, something that works with my current budget yet takes amazing photos. Now I won't have to post grainy pics because my current Point and Shoot can't read well in low lit areas. Plus it will help me a lot at school when I have to put a portfolio together to get a directing position in the upcoming months. And I am just a fan of canon, they were the first cameras I used when I was trained in the Air Force.

we have the same camera man, i love it. but now im thinking of going full frame tough

we have the same camera man, i love it. but now im thinking of going full frame tough

sweet. What camera were you looking at? Even though I love Nikon, I'd have to look at the Canon 5D or 5D mkII.

sweet. What camera were you looking at? Even though I love Nikon, I'd have to look at the Canon 5D or 5D mkII.

im going for a used 5d since i cant afford the mk2 :lol: :lol:

i thinking of selling some of my valks...... anybody looking for a weathered roy here?? :lol:

Cool deal and thanks for the info. I noticed the camera was only for the body and that the price went up as you added lens. I had been leaning towards a Nikon D40, but I am much too ignorant about cameras and shooting to know what is best and what not. I figured kanedaestes would know a thing or two, but everyone who has commented shares quality photos so I will take the advice for what it is worth. Not trying to spend more than $500 bucks on a cam though. There will be occasional family stuff, but this will primarily be a camera for sharing photos here as that's what I mainly use a camera for anyway. Would like to get the quality of some of Vegas, Swoosh, and others when sharing photos.

Be kind of cool to get tips from the pros here on the board. The stuff I have seen from you guys is amazing. Plus you all know what you are talking about and are willing to share it with others. It would have be in the other forum though.

+1 on the Photography thread (for tips, not discussion...)

congrats on the new cam, man... i'd like to see that "Legend of Hikaru" shot you're planning... :)

anyway to get back on topic, here's my Hikaru valks shot i posted in the Hikaru v.2 thread... still w/ the same old crappy cam (damn wife is flip-flopping on the cam purchase :( )

gallery_8437_264_31461.jpg

Edited by m0n5t3r

Cool deal and thanks for the info. I noticed the camera was only for the body and that the price went up as you added lens. I had been leaning towards a Nikon D40, but I am much too ignorant about cameras and shooting to know what is best and what not. I figured kanedaestes would know a thing or two, but everyone who has commented shares quality photos so I will take the advice for what it is worth. Not trying to spend more than $500 bucks on a cam though. There will be occasional family stuff, but this will primarily be a camera for sharing photos here as that's what I mainly use a camera for anyway. Would like to get the quality of some of Vegas, Swoosh, and others when sharing photos.

Aw, but not my photos? :(

:lol:

If you want to start off at a budget, pick a nice body, either nikon or canon and then get a nice prime 50mm prime lens. Both the nikon and canon prime are around 100 bucks and sharp as a tack.

The only draw back is you have physically move to get things in frame rather than zooming in or out but if you're primary subjects are going to be toys and what not, than a good prime will serve you much better than a 150 dollar 15-50mm kit lens that won't give you near the sharpness or the speed of a good prime. A 50mm prime on a cropped body will give you a slightly zoomed in shot that works well for portrait photography as well.

Going this route will let you save some money and buy more specialized lenses like a wide angle or zoom lens as you need them rather than buying a 'jack of all trades' lens that you'll quickly find is rather poor at everything.

standard kit lenses aren't THAT bad. I honestly think you should have an 18-50mm lens just as an 'every day' kind of lens. they're good enough for taking vacation and family photos and cover a wide rage of applications well enough in one relatively compact package so they're nice for traveling.

They're not as good as a prime lens but their still better than you're average point and shoot and you'll get more milage out of you're camera (in my opinion)

then again my SLR experience is with late 70's vintage cameras so what do I know.

I'd love a full frame DSLR, but $1,500+ for a used body only is way out of my range. I've been thinking about a Nikon D90. But recently I've been leaning more towards a canon T1i or a Nikon D5000.

If the price drops another 3-400 dollars in the next 6 months to a year for the 5D maybe, though I'd hate buying a digital camera used.

:edit: advice on camera choices are wholly welcomed.

Edited by anime52k8

kit lenses are fine for shooting in daylight or in well lit rooms. But if you're shooting at family get togethers you'll find that the it's just not fast enough without having to resort to really high ISO or flash. I hate flash.

But if you're mainly going to shoot static objects, a 50mm prime is much better, being faster you can play with the depth of field more, less distortion and noticeably sharper.

If you're set on a a zoom walk around lens, I strongly suggest looking at Tamron. A little more than a kit lens but FAR cheaper than the equivalent lens from either Nikon or Canon and very comparable IQ.

edit:: I use a Nikon D90. I love it. It handles high ISO like a champ, arguably among the top performers for a cropped sensor. At times I find myself wishing I had bought the D300 instead for the more robust AF but I can live. Besides, that thing is a heavy monster and I'm not sure I want to be carrying it around my neck all day.

Edited by eugimon

I have a sony a100. I tried to figure that thing out but in the end its usually just set on auto.

I have the same camera. it's ok but I really want to move up to something better.

would camera talk be more apropreate under toys or under general scifi/anime?

I have the same camera. it's ok but I really want to move up to something better.

If people really want the thread, yeah, should be there... since that's where the cars, guns and computer discussions lie.

I've got the Sony Alpha as well, had it/wanted it since it was first released that Sony bought out Minolta and was releasing a DSLR June/July 2006. Got mine in Sept 2006. :D Using that body with my old Tokina/Minolta lenses and I've got no complaints. Couple of old pics with that setup below. Focusing on tiny toys like the Revoltechs was a bitch.

blamblam.jpg

charge.jpg

I'd love to move up the A900 but I don't really need that body since this is only a hobby for me.

I rearranged some toys in my collection last night. I am actually not so happy with it. I need more space, more shelves, so I can space stuff out better, and better lighting...

med_gallery_4840_93_1068049.jpg

med_gallery_4840_93_272701.jpg

med_gallery_4840_93_1187874.jpg

med_gallery_4840_93_1472476.jpg

:blink: Is that display from 七人の侍 (Shichinin no Samurai) movie !?! :blink:

Where did you get it?

The figures are the black and white version of the Akira Kurusawa movie Yojimbo gashapon set. The diorama I built with foam core and some photoshoped images spray mounted. Does that make sense? The Yojimbo gashapon I got from ebay. The photos I got from google image search. the gravel was just a high res image of gravel that I turned black and white. The background image was a color shot of a cool looking building in Japan that I desaturated and photoshopped up a little.

Skull leader Max.... sigh ... :)

That's one thing I like about Macross Frontier - Alto didn't get a VF-25S with red lines ... keep it simple :) I never liked 1S Max...

But I wonder - I'm sure they don't give you a new valkyrie. So... do they just change out the head? :)

Err... anyways - nice pics :)

Pete

But I wonder - I'm sure they don't give you a new valkyrie. So... do they just change out the head?

In the case of the 1S, it likely WAS a new valk, as the 1S is specifically described as a 'tuned up' ace version of the VF-1, so I can't think of anything better to give Max ;)