Yamato Durability Test

VFTF1

This morning started with a bang. My Zendradi Quid Rau Mirya from Yamato had been perched on the top shelf since moving into a new room three days ago. I had always had my doubts about perching my Yamato figures on a shelf that is open ended - in the sense that there is no transparent glass or plastic "wall" facing forward, but only the traditional three "background" walls that shelves mostly have...

But Poland has not had an earthquake since...hm...Poland has not had an earthquake - period! I don't have little kids running around shaking the ground and nothing could possibly ever cause any damage. Except, of course, my big fat FOOT. Yeah, that's right. Ever since I moved from the colder room to the warmer room in my house, I've been trying to get the furniture in order, and I happened to place the shelf right next to where my feet are when I sleep. I'm a fairly tall guy - ok - I'm too tall. I have trouble finding a pair of pants that I can fit into because I'm tall but skinny, and pants that are XXL are usually for folks that are tall and round... Anyways - my bed is pretty big - but I guess even I can manage, in that state of sub-consciousness between sleep and awakeness - to kick out.

And kick out I did. Not hard, not violently - but enough to give the old shelf a bit of a stir.

Suffice to say, none of the myriad Yamato figures on that shelf budged - except one.

You guessed it.

(and if you didn't - I'll tell you which one)...

The 1/60 Myria was never a great example of a figure that could stand up. Its' actually not the fault of the design; although there is some complexity to it, but rather, the fault of Yamato not using ratchet joints to contect the hips to the upper legs. Thus, there's really no traction preventing the figure from keeling backwards or forwards. The slightest wobble to the shelf and...

MELDRAN ATTACK!!

One Meldran falling off a top shelf does not an attack make - that is - not until you realize that the nose of my 1/60 YF-21 was jutting out of the middle shelf (so still about two feet off the ground). GULD's Valkyrie had been snuggly secured with fastpacks (which contrary to what I read on the forum from some folks are a WALK IN THE PARK to attach, fit snuggly and are coool!) - and snuggly secured on his stand.

Apparently Myria took a particular dislike to the notion that the Quid Rau design was incorporated by the Yak Deculture protoculture wannabes and decided that Guld was going down with her.

CRASH! BANG!

Revoltech Asuka Langly and one Regult also got caught up in the comotion and came tumbling down.

I wasn't worried about them. And rightly so. Sure, a leg and a foot came off - but they just fit right back on to the revoltech joints and nothing was broken.

I wasn't even worried about the Quid Rau.

I figured - as I wobbled out of bed to check on her - that if she broke - I don't care. I think the figure SUCKS anyways. The static Myria that could easily have been made poseable is a let down, the lack of balance, the wobbly joints, the brickishness of the figure and the ungainly finish. Yeah - this is clearly a Yamato effort from long ago and it "looks" nice - but it doesn't handle well and there is much to be desired from the figure.

"If you fell and broke then it's your own goddam fault" I mummbled to Myria. "I won't shed any tears for you."

Well - Myria is unscathed. She survived a drop from roughly six feet high onto a hard wooden floor.

No damage.

Then I noticed that the YF-21 was also lying on the floor.

OH FCUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that was my first thought, albeit with the letters in the proper order.

I was certain this thins was broken. I imagined that at the very least, the tail fins had snapped off irreversibly, that the canopy had cracked, that something bad happened.

I picked up my YF-21 with a hard heart, knowing it was dead and not really wanting to see its' mortal wounds...

Hmmm...

There's...

Nothing...

broken?????

The tail fins were fine. The wings too. Nothing cracked, nothing snapped, nothing. No damage.

Oh.

Except that.

Again my heart fell.

Yeah - that sleek yellow antena thing was gone. It was lying on the floor nearby...it was...

REMOVABLE!?

Yes.

You read that right. The yellow sleek antena on the fight can be removed. It is not molded in!

The fall had made it come off - and one simply had to slide it back into its' place. Viola. Presto!

I examined the YF-21 for a long long time (mainly to make it feel loved and better and to temper the shock of the attack/fall).

I am happy to report that Yamato has made a superbly DURABLE YF-21!

This baby fell straight down from two feet onto a hard wooden floor and is UNSCRATCHED.

Needless to say - I am not recomending that you "test" your YF-21 or other Yamato products in this way.

However if you or someone you know has a story of horror and heroism to tell, tell it here. We hear so much about QC failures on Yamato products - I am happy to report a MAJOR QC success.

Pete

PS: I moved all of my Macross figures into a snug closet with shelves and inner lighting - shelves that no one can fall off of because they are very, very veeeeeeerrrry loooooong (horizontally speaking).

My 1/48 VF-1s roy complete with FAST pack in fighter mode, rolled off my computer monitor (a 21" sony trinitron back in the days of CRT tubes) landed on the wood table, bounced and fell to the floor.

Obviously with all that weight and having fallen twice the BP8 hinge was... err, completely fine. The wing flaps popped off as did some missiles and the nacelles off of the FAST pack but nothing busted.

Like I said in a previous post, they're fraking tanks.

Good to see Guld didn't want to be defeated by Myria. :lol:

- My 1/60 YF-19 had a near-death experience after falling off a tall shelf in Battroid mode. The valk hit the floor and parts went flying everywhere: legs fell off, and the valk was split in two.

Fearing the worst, I went in to collect the debris, only to see that the parts snapped snuggly back into their regular positions.

Now Isamu is back on the shelf in one piece without a singly scratch or stress mark.

- I had my 1/60 Destroid Tomahawk on my monitor, but one little knock of my knee against the desk sent him crashing to (what I expected to be) his doom. The gun barrels were scattered and those little caps behind the guns had popped off, but again, all pieces snapped easily together again. No scratches or anything!

I haven't had too many falls yet, once i had my CF-1A with FP's fighter mode fall down in between my display but luckily i had my door closed, one night i heard the crash and i was too sleepy to get up and found the CF half way between the 2nd and bottom shelf with the glass keeping it there. lol It wasn't even in a scary angle either, just sitting there, something hit it on the way down :p With the way i display, i'm pretty lucky really! My YF-19 was taking a dive while i was propping it up for display, but i caught it.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Pffft :rolleyes: , try having your Yammies survive a real, genuine California earthquake!!

-- As I posted last summer, I came home after a somewhat minor earthquake and found my FP'ed Stealth VF-1J had taken a nice little 5-foot stage dive onto the wood floor. :blink:

The good news: other than a few FP items popping off, she didn't take any real damage at all.

-- My 1/48 GBP-armored VF-1J Hikky also took a stage dive that day. It looked like a worse fall with a bunch of various armor pieces and missiles scattered all about. Although one of the legs had popped off at the hip, everything else on the Hikky and GBP was undamaged and was easily put back into place (including the popped-off leg).

-- The biggest surprises?

1) The Q-Rau and 1/60 V1 Valk I have posed on flexidisplays didn't budge or nothing.

2) My FP'ed 1/48 Roy shares the same bookcase that the Stealth and Hikky fell off of, and yet that drunken bastard Roy was still standing tall at the end of the day, totally unaffected by some little earthquake! :huh::blink::lol:

A 2 feet fall isn't too unreasonable, even for Yamatos. I'm prepping myself to accept the consequences of posing a VF-0S in unhinged T bar gerwalk mode (aka extra floppy mode) at the top edge of my 5 foot cabinet in Vancouver, the city of the inevitable catastrophic earthquake. Canopy and airbrakes are fully opened, and the headlasers are not tucked against the fuselage. If it falls, I'll be picking up the pieces for the next year.

About a year ago my 1/48 hikaru vf-1j in full GBP armor took a nose dive off a 7 foot high shelf onto cold hard concrete. the armor took the impact, came off into a million pieces, but thankfully NOTHING broke or even a scratch that I could find. Shes back together now and safely in a detolf. My heart skipped a beat when I came home to find it like that..

I can't quite recall which of my Yamato toys it was, but one of them took a 5 foot dive from the top shelf on the back of my computer desk. Nothing broke. Of course, my apartment at the time had carpeting. Though I'm fairly certain it hit the desk on its way down. I think it was probably one of my 1/48ths, or my Konig Monster. Was a long time ago. I've never really thought of the Yamato toys as being particularly fragile, aside from the occaissional little antennae or head laser.

My 1/48 valks have taken many a dive (accidentally of course) off of my desk and have been fine. Even the ones that have GBP or Super, Strike armors. I am also afraid the hinge broke and yet nothing so far. Now excuse me while I go knock on wood.

- I didn't figure how to remove the antenna off the VF-0S; until I dropped it onto the floor (not intentionally of course!). No damage of course.

- I dropped the Tomahawk three feet from the ground when I was taking photos for the Destroids. My heart stopped beating for 3 seconds; but when I snapped back the parts I can sell it in mint condition.

Thats nice Graham, but you should remember this:

[isamu] "Man this fighter [YF-21] is really something. Looks great even going down in flames!" [/isamu]

Just don't forget who finally took down the Ghost X-9. ;)

FEAR THE BASTARD LOVE-CHILD!!!!

I am sure to be called a liar for this but, I had my non-fp VF-11B in battloid mode take a pretty good dive and not suffer from it. No broken hips or anything, belive it or not.

I am sure to be called a liar for this but, I had my non-fp VF-11B in battloid mode take a pretty good dive and not suffer from it. No broken hips or anything, belive it or not.

Not at all.. both my non-fp VF-11B and my fp 11B had good strong hips-- either I'm real lucky or all the problems have been overhyped.

Not at all.. both my non-fp VF-11B and my fp 11B had good strong hips-- either I'm real lucky or all the problems have been overhyped.

I also have a non FP VF-11B with perfect hips... but I've seen enough destroyed and mangled ones to know I'm very lucky.

I was carrying my 1/48 roy in battroid with FP on from one display to my new detolf and I don't remember why but it dropped about 3 foot to the tile floor and exploded! The only damage was one of the pegs on the leg armor that plugs into the valk leg broke off and got lost. <_<

I am curious how many of us have those ikea detolf display cases. I really like it and am thinking I need to get a couple more..

Let it be said though I have had no serious injuries on my Valk's, mostly the older Yamato 1/60's & Macross plus items. Though QC for my older YF-21 & VF-11 both required many repairs. And of course my VF-0A had a shoulder issue..... But my (5) 1/48 VF-1's are like ass kicking tanks, drop them, display them and even transform them, and yes I am formerly from Los Angeles where a few shakers did knock them over, but they bounced right back!! Even Miria's 1/60 Powersuit is indestructible!! B))

The 1/48 is still the superior YAMATO Valkyrie and to Jenius & Edwin3060 you two are lucky your VF-11's never broke!!

Last saturday Hikaru's 1/60 VF-1J v2 decided to take a 5 feet dive and I found a tiny round peg on the floor. I inspected the toy but I still can't figure out where that peg comes from.

Must be a peg from inside the legs or nosecone. First I thought it was one of the two pegs from the heatshield that slide from the chestplate but both are fine :mellow:

I've transformed the VF-1J several times and it works fine!! I won't dissasemble it to find out where it broke. I can provide a pic later.

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

1/48:

Robotechie Tested*

Schizo approved!

*That is how I actually got introduced to Macross: My dad's incessant ramblings about Robotech, with bits of Macross terminology interspersed with it... Honestly, if he watched Robotech as a kid, never saw any actual Macross, where the hell'd he get the word "GERWALK"? It was ALWAYS Guardian in RT... O_O

My old 1/48 VF-1J in Battroid mode fell from my shelf (2 feet!) and landed face first unto my linoleum floor. Nothing broke, he was still holding on to his gun!!

The 1/48 is built like a tank!! Yamato's most trouble free & reliable toy in my opinion!!! B))