New Macross Game from Sega for PS2

twich

Got my copy today but haven't had a chance to play it yet. My wife is hogging the PS2 playing DDR max2. would any of you care to share all the controls so I don't have to play with them to figure them out? :(

The game has a playable tutorial, which is the best way to learn the controls.

Graham

A question for those of you that have already unlocked the VF-4. Does it have the two beam guns on the forearms and actually fire twin beams, or do the incorrectly have it firing a gunpod or gunpod ammo from the arms?

Graham

it fires twin guns from the forearms....to put it in other words when you fire in battiod you see shells drop from both arms

Edited by Murphy

Hmm....that's a bit bad. I guess it would have been too much work for the programmers to add the twin beam guns.

Oh well, we can just pretend that it is supposed to be an earlier prototype version of the VF-4, with conventional guns instead of high powered beam weapons.

Graham

Hmm....that's a bit bad. Oh well, guess it would have been too much work for the programmers to add the twin beam guns.

Oh well, we can just pretend that it is supposed to be an earlier prototype version of the VF-4, with conventional guns instead of high powered beam weapons.

Graham

If in doubt, invent a backstory. :)

Shite...forgot about the tutorial.

Has anybody figured out a way to get the gerwalk mode to strafe or to get fighter mode to bank faster besides using the airbrake. The fighter feels like your driving a dump truck.

Fun game though.

No and No. :D

When I'm in fighter mode, I usually always keep the decelerate (triangle) button depressed. It makes it far easier to out turn the regults and fighter pods. The only time I accelerate is to evade missiles.

Graham

What's up with the 800 missle payload? Why can you transform with the missle pods in place? Why can't you go straight up or down in gerwalk?

Spoilers + Help request : I'm stuck on a level where you go inside the macross, after I wipe out all the enemies, nothing happens???

The valks could always transform with missile pods on. See the movie for reference (the game may not animate properly leaving the wings out though).

Use the right analog stick in gerwalk to rise and drop.

Inside the Macross you need to listen to the operator's instructions who should be giving you directions like "pods at 11 o'clock" and the like. In one of the missions you need to go to a certain point in the engine room once you are done. I think there was an arrow to follow once you ran out of enemies. Keep looking for bogies if you see no arrow and can't understand the operator's instructions.

When I'm in fighter mode, I usually always keep the decelerate (triangle) button depressed. It makes it far easier to out turn the regults and fighter pods. The only time I accelerate is to evade missiles.

Graham

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think using the brake will make it turn faster, it should actually made you turn slower. The best way to turn is actually transform gerwalk for turning, when done transform back to fighter.

If you only want to play with the fighter mode, using the thrust should actually make you turn faster, but the angle may be wider.

What's up with the 800 missle payload? Why can you transform with the missle pods in place? Why can't you go straight up or down in gerwalk?

Spoilers + Help request : I'm stuck on a level where you go inside the macross, after I wipe out all the enemies, nothing happens???

Yep, you can go up and down in gerwalk. You need to use both analog sticks to control gerwalk mode. IIRC, One stick rotates you, the other moves you up, down, left, right.

As for the mission inside Macross, IIRC you have to find three bbattlepod which have been abandoned by Zentradi defectors. There shouuld be an on screen arrow which guides you.

Graham

Would you guys agree that they should make a flight stick for this game?

Imagine having a thumb analog stick on top of the flight stick to act as the right analog stick in the joypad and the main flight stick to act as the left analog stick, and a speed slider on your left with weapon switching buttons(select) and transformation buttons(L2,R2), etc..

That would make the game much better, as I'm constantly trying to use machine gun, headlaser, throttle and right analog stick at the same time by using just ONE thumb. You just can't do them all with the PS2 joypad.

Any thought?

Would you guys agree that they should make a flight stick for this game?

Imagine having a thumb analog stick on top of the flight stick to act as the right analog stick in the joypad and the main flight stick to act as the left analog stick, and a speed slider on your left with weapon switching buttons(select) and transformation buttons(L2,R2), etc..

That would make the game much better, as I'm constantly trying to use machine gun, headlaser, throttle and right analog stick at the same time by using just ONE thumb. You just can't do them all with the PS2 joypad.

Any thought?

I completely agree.

As I've said before, to play the game properly, especially in Battroid and Gerwalk modes, you really need three hands :)

Graham

IF only it were that easy heh. You gotta open up your PS2 and solder the fecking thing to the Mobo. A huge PITA and many a time they burn our within a few months. I'd go for the flip-top lid with swap magic OR get an Asian PS2.

Yah in Normal Flight mode the top shift buttons control YAW and it's Damn slow. I only ever Used yaw when I was landing in PC sims like Falcon 4.0. Almost no use for it unless you're a twitch god and can adjust the yaw for your fighter gunpod :p

I wouldn't mind being able to use my Saitek x36 flightstick and throttle for this game :p It works wonders in PC games anywho.

Despite its lack of Head lasers the VF-4 rocks. Only prob I have with it is the ass-uglyness of the Battroide mode :p

gotta rock the left analog stick quickly from the left to the right or right to left. Doing this makes you do a barrel roll and from side view you can see flares ejected from the valkyrie.

In battroid mode you two additional rocking moves being foward and backwards. What stinks is when you're battroid on the ground and do a dodge you roll and can't shoot until you finisht he animation.

Graham

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think using the brake will make it turn faster, it should actually made you turn slower. The best way to turn is actually transform gerwalk for turning, when done transform back to fighter.

If you only want to play with the fighter mode, using the thrust should actually make you turn faster, but the angle may be wider.

I don't know about the physics of this game, but if you're flying a real aircraft, speed makes for wider turns, using the airbrake and slowing down willmake you turn tighter, in effect slower means you turn faster.

just curious how easy this game is for english speaking peoples..........so the game has english in game language........anyone care to elaborate?

Aside from the ENGLISH TEXT during the mission briefings (i.e. ARMD 1.5, ENEMY SHIPS, SDF, SCRABLE, MISSION OBJECTIVES). I don't understand most of what Misa, Roy, and the rest of the crew are telling me (during the audio briefings).

But it's pretty straightfoward anyways.... B))

I beat the TV mode in 3.5 hours. I don't speak a lick of Japanese. If you've watched the macross saga and DYRL you should already know basically what you have to do. There are a couple of twists here and there but just watch the mission briefs and they will help. The game is awsome. Best macross game by far. Maybe even the best mecha game I've ever played on PS2.

IF only it were that easy heh. You gotta open up your PS2 and solder the fecking thing to the Mobo. A huge PITA and many a time they burn our within a few months.

Only if you buy and use the cheap modchips and older models of the chips... The top quality chips don't burn out your system... Mine is living proof, have had mine for more than a year w/ a Messiah2 PRO, and absolutely no problems... Turn on, insert game, close tray, boot up...

Despite its lack of Head lasers the VF-4 rocks. Only prob I have with it is the ass-uglyness of the Battroide mode :p

VF-4 ugly? naaaaaaaahhh, it has the most badass battroid along with the VF-19!

i just wish they had the VF-4G in this game, that model has head lasers.

Strafe and banking done with L1 and R1 Shoulder buttons, makes you turn faster in plane mode doing so.

Technically, the L1 & R1 buttons in Fighter mode are the Yaw control (I Think?).

Graham

When in Gerwalk or battroid, shoulder buttons will strafe. But when i am banking around in the game and then use the shoulder buttons it seems to help turn tighter. Maybe its not the same as what you guys are wanting, just works for me is all.

I wish there was a way to mod the game in english, cuz i would enjoy it that little bit more i reckon ....

so is there any rumours of expansion games to this yet or still too early for Bandai to talk bout that i guess....

VF-4 ugly? naaaaaaaahhh, it has the most badass battroid along with the VF-19!

i just wish they had the VF-4G in this game, that model has head lasers.

I agree, though I like the VF-4 battroid mode than the 19, even.

I haven't gotten my Macross game yet, but I did get my flip top case and the Swap Magic (V2.00) discs along with the Magic Slide Card (which of course is now unneeded :) ). Fliptop case has now been installed and my system is up and running again.

Since I have a few Region 2 movie DVD's and a handful of import PS1 games, I decided to give them a spin. When I try playing a R2 movie, the "Insert Screen" shows a pink border and the star field freezes. When I try a Japanese PS1 game, the pink border appears around some of the edges, but the star field continues to fly by. When I stick a US PS2 game in and hit X, a blue border appears briefly and the game quickly begins.

Am I correct in that the Swap Magic discs only play PS2 DVD and CD GAMES (either originals or backups), but they won't play other region movies and import PS1 games? :huh:

I haven't gotten my Macross game yet, but I did get my flip top case and the Swap Magic (V2.00) discs along with the Magic Slide Card (which of course is now unneeded :) ). Fliptop case has now been installed and my system is up and running again.

Since I have a few Region 2 movie DVD's and a handful of import PS1 games, I decided to give them a spin. When I try playing a R2 movie, the "Insert Screen" shows a pink border and the star field freezes. When I try a Japanese PS1 game, the pink border appears around some of the edges, but the star field continues to fly by. When I stick a US PS2 game in and hit X, a blue border appears briefly and the game quickly begins.

Am I correct in that the Swap Magic discs only play PS2 DVD and CD GAMES (either originals or backups), but they won't play other region movies and import PS1 games? :huh:

Given they all use diffrent authentication methods it's quite likely.