Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

Now, would it be better or WORSE if they'd proceeded to dig Jazz back out of the ocean in the beginning of the second movie.

"Yo, 'bot... I'm Sam's dad. My son's driving a nicer car than me. Violates the natural order. You see where I'm going with this, right?"

"Yeah, I'm cool. Let's roll. Nice to be not-dead again."

It would certainly explain why the sonar guy calls out, "now there's SIX of them!" <_<

On a completely different albeit very Transformers topic...

I have loved As Cybertron Turns since I first read it like...what...5 years ago? And yet I've NEVER heard it mentioned by anybody else EVER. And I kept forgetting to mention it myself.

That changes today.

I hope some of view have read this epic fan comic.

For those who haven't...

http://spacebridge2000.tripod.com/comic.html

Is anybody else a big fan of this?

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Double post, but oh well. After ragging endlessly on Hasbro and Transformers, I shall now praise Takara-Tomy to the sky; not only for reissuing an Autobot that I never had as a child, but for giving him a beautiful new head sculpt.... or... was that how it always was? In any case - this is one of my favorite Autobots, not just as a character, but as a toy - given his die-cast metal hood/chest, the clear windows, the rubber tires, the chrome weapons and the shiny black metal coating... I just love him to death :)

2hfs6r9.jpg

Pete

I shall now praise Takara-Tomy to the sky; not only for reissuing an Autobot that I never had as a child, but for giving him a beautiful new head sculpt.... or... was that how it always was?

Looks just like the oringinal...except for the blue visor. I'm almost positive the original was red.

Awesome pic Pete. I still haven't opened my Encore Trailbreaker, but I have the earlier reissue of Hoist, and that is a fun mold.

It's kinda weird, I used to harp on about how the first wave pre-movie G1 stuff was the best, with all the Microchange figs and everything, but as I grew older, I started to see more and more of the appeal of Season 3 and beyond stuff. Figures like God Ginrai are among my favorites now, for their added playability and durability compared to the pre-movie Diaclone-type stuff.

Taste is of course relative, so everyone can have different notions of what they find entertaining - but often times it's possible to at least explain WHY rather than just leaving it at "you like X and I like Y."

Who cares if Jetfire is not perfectly movie accurate, we're talking about the toy for what it is. We can all still recognize him easily. Macross toys for the most part have been using the same outdated transformation schemes (with slight variations) for what, 20+ years? Pretty easy to be screen accurate with such simple designs. And Jetfire has tons of personnality with his beard and cane in robot mode. Macross toys all look generic in battroid mode.

Extremely poseable? Most Macross toys aren't in leg department. And most of them are fragile and really not meant for regular play.

Removable cockpit? Whoah, stop the press! Jetfire costs a 1/3 (if not 1/4 or 1/5!) of the price, has electronics, a more unique transformation (look at how the torso is formed) is bigger, sturdier, gimmickier and can combine with another equally amazing figure, Leader Optimus Prime.

Macross toys look good from the bottom only because they use smooth and underdetailed surfaces. I don't care how Jetfire looks like from the bottom in jet mode, I look at him from the top anyway.

I do like Macross toys for what they are: beautiful transformable display pieces with attention to detail. That's why I own quite a few. But let's face it, they're poor toys (save maybe for the DX VF-25, but even then, it's far from perfect).

Edited by Dr. Z

The first movie series had a LOT of toys from the videogame. Not so many this time around, asides from Breakaway. Interestingly, there's a Thrust repaint of Breakaway coming out---which is strange, since there's a "Thrust" in the game, but he's an F-18, and there's matching Skywarps and Thundercrackers. Now, I've heard there's going to be a new Dirge mold coming---but Dirge is about the only one NOT seen in the game. I'm hoping it's this F-18 design anyways. I took some pics from the game, but I still don't know how to take decent pics off a TV, CRT nor LCD. This is the best I could do.

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

It's funny how I couldn't care less about the toys for characters in the movie, but I find myself agreeing that if they made a toy for one of the F/A-18 bots in the game, I'd totally buy it.

I never looked at the concept art in the game (too busy trying to unlock everything to enjoy the unlocks, I guess) but I seem to recall the Autobots having some generic jet guys too...

How are your local stores holding with stock on ROTF toys?

My local TRU has the Great Wall of Breakaway, Barricade and Rampage. Plenty of Voyager Megatrons in stock, but the Leader version is sold out. On the other hand, TRU is having trouble keeping Voyager Optimus Prime in stock, while they still have over a dozen Leader versions. No one's buying Demolishor, Mixmaster, Ironhide or Ratchet. Human Alliance Bumblebee is running out fast. Stratosphere is surprisingly selling out. The Whirl vs. Bludgeon gift pack is likely to just clog up shelves.

In Jersey, deluxe Bumblebee is rare. I only saw one HA Bumblebee once. I bought it and haven't seen that figure in stores since. Leader Prime and Megs are easily available...especially Megs. Sideswipe seems to be selling well. Not seeing too many of those on pegs. Saw voyager Megatron once...never again. Voyager Optimus is only a little easier to find. Starscream and the Constructicons are warming shelves. Jetfire is too new to know for sure, but I saw plenty of those recently. There are plenty of ghetto twins and Ravages on pegs.

Those are the only ones I recall at the moment.

In Jersey, deluxe Bumblebee is rare. I only saw one HA Bumblebee once. I bought it and haven't seen that figure in stores since. Leader Prime and Megs are easily available...especially Megs. Sideswipe seems to be selling well. Not seeing too many of those on pegs. Saw voyager Megatron once...never again. Voyager Optimus is only a little easier to find. Starscream and the Constructicons are warming shelves. Jetfire is too new to know for sure, but I saw plenty of those recently. There are plenty of ghetto twins and Ravages on pegs.

Those are the only ones I recall at the moment.

Better than mine. Deluxe Bumblebee (both Preview and the lame-ass Cannon versions), Sideswipe and the twins are not to be found here. Starscream is selling out fast. If you haven't gotten him yet, you should. If you have movie Starscream 1.0, throw him away. No one's buying Gravity Bots or FABs.

And I wonder how many people are actually buying the Bumblebee Plasma Cannon just to play 5 seconds of "The Touch 2007".

Wheelie is more than just a shelf-warmer, he has entire endcap displays dedicated to holding the excess copies of him.

And here's a game Aerialbot:

(ironically, in making a non-licensed F-16 look-alike, they ended up making an F-2)

Opened up and played around with Leader Jetfire tonight ... man, is he a PITA to transform!! Those locking panels were a beeyotch!!

And in step #15, what the hell do you do with the 2 rubber strand things that hang off his hips? I tried to interlocked the 2 together, but couldn't get the assembled piece to attach.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Edited by Vermillion21

It doesn't attach anywhere---fiddle around with the straps to trap them between the plane and the legs, and it should be held in place through tension. The straps should pass just inboard of the peg hole that the foot/ankle goes into. Yes, it's godawful design, and I plan to remove the pins to remove the entire assembly (I will never combine mine with Prime).

If you really can't get it, I'll photograph mine.

It's kinda weird, I used to harp on about how the first wave pre-movie G1 stuff was the best, with all the Microchange figs and everything, but as I grew older, I started to see more and more of the appeal of Season 3 and beyond stuff. Figures like God Ginrai are among my favorites now, for their added playability and durability compared to the pre-movie Diaclone-type stuff.

Yeah, agreed.

Heck - I still remember Euro "G2" (although it wasn't marked as Generation 2 on the box - just "Transfrmers") ... when I first got Clench - and I was shocked that his legs were both independent of eachother and that...GASP!...he could kneel... :)

Er - but that's not really what you're talking about ... yeah - Season 3 and other stuff... I guess I agree. God Ginrai + God Bomber are great.

I dunno - perhaps my preference for G1 stems from the fact that the modern TFs, despite their better poseability, still fail to actually LOOK like their onscreen counterparts - which is to say - still manage to do what Transformers have done from the beginning: be chunky and have either no details or details which are not accurate to the onscreen representation.

If that's what it's gonna be - then I guess I just prefer the original is all... :)

Pete

Now there is a beautiful illustration of the superiority of G1 design.

Look at the craptastic kibble backpack on Movie Prime. I know I know - on screen - he's sleek. But the toy is just this great jumble-wad of kibble.

Masterpiece Prime is lean. I mean - yeah - he's "boxy" - but at least he's proportional and his bulkyiness looks like strength. Movie Prime looks like he's carrying a back pack full of scrap metal.

Score Generation 1 :)

Pete (who is on the road to totally unintentionally becoming one of those G1RULZALLELZSUKZORZ people... :o)

I imagine if they had a movie Prime that ran $100-150 and was under the MP branding you'd see something pretty amazing.

Not that I don't like G1 Prime, in fact that MP Prime was/is one of my favorite items in my collection. Though I think I've actually come to like his movie design better overall.

I really like RotF Prime. It's a pretty ingenious figure... and I have to say, anyone who enjoys the G1 toys really has no business talking about kibble, those toys were kibble with faces... just like the RotF toys. :lol:

I dunno - perhaps my preference for G1 stems from the fact that the modern TFs, despite their better poseability, still fail to actually LOOK like their onscreen counterparts

RID, Armada, Energon, Cybertron were identical to their onscreen counterparts. Animated toys were pretty close for the most part.

There is no show for Classics 1.0/2.0. The last time we got toys that were vastly different from what we could see in the show was during the Beast Machines era.

Edited by Dr. Z

RID, Armada, Energon, Cybertron were identical to their onscreen counterparts. Animated toys were pretty close for the most part.

Ok - true. So let me modify my preference/statement:

I like Car Robots. And yeah - the toys were fun and accurate.

But I can't stand Armada through Cybertron or their Japanese counterparts, so I guess this is part of what started to turn me off. As for the Toys - Armada and identical? Not really. Energon and Cybertron yes... But that's beside the point...

I guess at some juncture I just had enough Transformers and the show just became BAD for me...

Not even Animated could recover - largely because the toys felt so cheap, shallow, hollow and...ultimately I didn't like that design aesthetic either :(

I know - I'm being a pain in the butt :)

But maybe that explains why I'm at MW instead of on some TF board :)

Pete

For me G1 will always be number one, not for the designs (which I still prefer to anything since) or toys but because the show had endearing characters. Sure they were stereotypical, the tough guy, the cool one, the hothead etc. but at least they had personality and weren't just nameless faces that took up space, also to do it with such a large cast was rare, I think only G.I Joe could match it. Beast Wars and Transformers Animated did put personalities back into the bots but it lacked the scope of G1. Say what you will of the dated animation and predictable story line's but G1 is still the standard in which all Transformers shows and movies are compared too. If you compare all Primes or Convoy's and had to choose which was still the best I think most of us would still pick Optimus Prime from G1.

My local TRU has the Great Wall of Breakaway, Barricade and Rampage. Plenty of Voyager Megatrons in stock, but the Leader version is sold out. On the other hand, TRU is having trouble keeping Voyager Optimus Prime in stock, while they still have over a dozen Leader versions. No one's buying Demolishor, Mixmaster, Ironhide or Ratchet. Human Alliance Bumblebee is running out fast. Stratosphere is surprisingly selling out. The Whirl vs. Bludgeon gift pack is likely to just clog up shelves.

I've managed to find a Voyager Prime or two, and plenty of Leader Prime and Megatron. I've managed to find most of the Scouts and and Deluxes, save for Jolt, as well. For Voyagers there's Starscreams to be found, the odd Demolisher or Ratchet, but mostly Ironhides. No Voyager Megatrons. Never, not even one. As far as I know, none of the stores around here have ever stocked one. Haven't seen Longhaul, either.

MP Prime has a major cop-out in that his entire back half of vehicle mode has zero resemblance to a real truck. And the back half of the cab isn't much better.

If you made an MP Prime and mandated that the vehicle mode actually look like it should, bot mode would be quite different.

ROTF Prime emphasizes truck mode, MP Prime emphasizes bot mode. The G1 toy blows away MP Prime when it comes to vehicle mode.

I've managed to find a Voyager Prime or two, and plenty of Leader Prime and Megatron. I've managed to find most of the Scouts and and Deluxes, save for Jolt, as well. For Voyagers there's Starscreams to be found, the odd Demolisher or Ratchet, but mostly Ironhides. No Voyager Megatrons. Never, not even one. As far as I know, none of the stores around here have ever stocked one. Haven't seen Longhaul, either.

Did you want a voyager Megs? There's quite a few of them around here.

Did you want a voyager Megs? There's quite a few of them around here.

I haven't decided yet. I mean, I do, but I just had to replace the exhaust on my car, so I have to see what my budget's going to be for the next week or so. I'll let you know. Whatever I decide, though, thanks. I do appreciate the offer.

Edited by mikeszekely

That was actually a good review. Shame they couldn't make Devastator a real combiner, in that not only do you get the individual 'bot modes, you can put them together to form Devastator.

For $100 I'm gonna have to pass. However, I think I'll be seeing these on discount in a while, so I might get it if it's cheap.

It doesn't attach anywhere---fiddle around with the straps to trap them between the plane and the legs, and it should be held in place through tension. The straps should pass just inboard of the peg hole that the foot/ankle goes into. Yes, it's godawful design, and I plan to remove the pins to remove the entire assembly (I will never combine mine with Prime).

If you really can't get it, I'll photograph mine.

Thanks for clarifying David ... I just wanted to check that I wasn't doing/missing something obvious. These pieces and the excessive bottom kibble in jet mode really disappoint the toy for me.

:ph34r:

I've managed to find most of the Scouts and and Deluxes, save for Jolt ... For Voyagers ... Haven't seen Longhaul, either.

FYI, I don't think Jolt nor Long Haul have been released yet. Otherwise there would be some sighting activity on the TF forums.

Edited by Vermillion21