Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

I can vouch for this. I have a Dell Desktop that I customized and use as a media center that's hooked to my TV. That's got the modem hooked to it. I have a wireless router that feeds 2 laptops, and another modem connection for a desktop in my bedroom. Anyhow, I was downloading a system update today, and it was taking forever and at the same time my laptop was freezing up, which it rarely does. As soon as it was done with the DL, my laptop suddenly at that exact moment went back to normal.

You guys could always try assigning the computers a static IP.

ok i bought a HDD enclosure, since i have a mac its giving me choices to to erase the data and volume reformat it(whatever that means), which one do i choose to reformat? Mac OS Extended, MS-DOS file system or Unix? does it matter or should i just choose any because does sony care?

Use fat32. As soon as you put itinto the ps3 it'll reformat it anyways.

So my PS3 is on its way, and in the space of a day, it has only gone from Laredo, Texas, at the border with Mexico, to Dallas. 427 miles, which should take about six hours, and its taken them twelve. I wish that they'd use the next day shipping for sending it BACK instead of the 3-day shipping.

Killzone 2 gets a 9.4

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/949/949161p1.html

I might check this out...its a toss up between this and RE5.

Not big on FPS' but I'm willing to give it another go. Also I've been reading mixed reviews of the RE5 demo.. which is out next week for PS3 users.

You can never trust IGN's ratings. They gave GTA IV a 10 for Pete's sake. I think it deserves a 7, at best.

You can never trust IGN's ratings. They gave GTA IV a 10 for Pete's sake. I think it deserves a 7, at best.

lol true. I disagree with most of their reviews

Save 5$ off of Killzone 2 from Amazon: KZ2SAVE5 They have it for 57.00 right now. So 52.00 shipped.

Well they did say they left it as a way to build "tension". It was in an article on Kotaku. Don't remember if they were going to release this on the Wii. If they are I'm just going to wait for it there as it's control rocks. If it's not then I'm gonna have to debate whether to get it on the PS3 since the controls won't be as fun.

Capcom gives RE5 a realistic feel/look but yet they limit the player in an unrealistic way. No RE game has ever let you walk/run while shooting..they should have changed that in this game. At least, let us walk and shoot.

I would like to walk (slowly) and shoot; yet I still think people would bitch about that. Maybe it's just me, but even if it controls much like RE4 did, I have no complaints.

While I got used to RE4's controls and don't really mind it, I would prefer it if we can run/walk while shooting/reloading. Also the ability to melee without being prompt would be cool. Imagine just punching and kicking your way through them. Lol. I wish we have the ability to jump, duck and dodge as well. I also don't see the co-op as pointless. It's always good to have someone to back you up since enemies come from different directions. From the demo videos, the AI seems dumb. You can literally walk right by them without them attacking you right away. Metal Gear Solid control schemes would work well for these type of games IMO.

I would like to walk (slowly) and shoot; yet I still think people would bitch about that. Maybe it's just me, but even if it controls much like RE4 did, I have no complaints.

I think they should let us walk or run while shooting/ reloading and just make the accuracy go down and reload time go up. A fair trade off IMO.

Is it possible to connect 2 tvs to the PS3? Like one using the HDMI and one using the AV cable. Does the local co-op mean using 2 different PS3s or just one with a split screen? Basically 2 player mode.

local two player mode is just split screen. It's not exactly full screen split, it's a staggered split screen. That's what I got playing off of a 46" LCD. Not sure how it looks playing on a standard 32" tv.

I think they should let us walk or run while shooting/ reloading and just make the accuracy go down and reload time go up. A fair trade off IMO.

The thing to remember there is they do not dole out ammunition as graciously as other shooters do. Being abole to move and fire probably wouldn't pay off if they dialed down the accuracy to balance it, because you'd probably end up in more situations with less or no ammo unless thery decdided to change that.

I don't know, I just find the mechanic as one of it's charms, damning as it can be sometimes. I just don't think I could call it a "Resident Evil" game if I could run and gun constantly.

Edited by Letigre

Along with MGS4 and Little Big Planet, this was right up there with them. I loved it.

Valkyria Chronicals is awesome, a truly overlooked gem in the PS3 library! I'm on chapter 17 Jaeger is kicking my arse! So I'm doing some xtra skrimages to tweek out all my weapons and get all classes up to 12. What's the highest level you can attain?

I'm looking forward to the upcoming DLC where we'll be able to play as Selvaria. Any word on the anime that's coming soon?

MGO question.

If I use my second character slot does that second character get the same level and skills?

Nope, you start off with a brand new character at level 0 with no levelled up skills. For the most part, I think the extra slot is used by higher level players to try & get revenge on lower leveled people who out gun them/bring down their levels.

Last week I took some pretty good snipes at some level 14's, next thing I know there's a level 0 player who knew a little too much about the midtown maelstrom map, tried to sneak into an alley corner to shoot me off the roof, and wound up dead everytime they tried :)

Also, beware Dizman & his croc cap!

local two player mode is just split screen. It's not exactly full screen split, it's a staggered split screen. That's what I got playing off of a 46" LCD. Not sure how it looks playing on a standard 32" tv.

Have you tried hooking up 2 tvs (1 with HDMI and 1 with AV)?

Have you tried hooking up 2 tvs (1 with HDMI and 1 with AV)?

Pretty sure it can only do one output at time, though who knows, maybe if you reset the video defautl settings while staring up, it'll detect both.

If you live in the US or Canada and didn't preorder Killzone 2 from gamestop to get the exclusive demo code..you can go to the PSN UK store and download the demo there... no code needed...its up now 1.2 GBs

I have a feeling the servers are gonna crash lol :ph34r:

So, it's looking more and more like my wife and I will be moving to Europe for her post-doc (either France or Switzerland).

I was curious if anyone knew of any issues using an NA PS3 over in Europe. It'll be powered through a 110v-regulating UPS, which in turn will be attached to a voltage converter, so I don't think power will be a problem. But I'm not I'll be able to use my HDTV over there, and if I have to buy one, will my signal not work on a Euro-TV (isn't HD the same everywhere?)

Also, will the PSN be a problem?