Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

Regardless of imput, if the monitor's refresh rate isn't quick enough, you'll see ghosting & whatnot. Also, make sure all the proper bells & whistles are set in your PS3's video settings.

Yes.

That's odd....i always thought that the refresh rate of monitors were superior to those in TVs. Alot of PC games now after all are using 1080p but PS3 games still seem to be stuck in the realm of 720p so i would've thought monitors were able to cope better with the refresh rate.

That's odd....i always thought that the refresh rate of monitors were superior to those in TVs. Alot of PC games now after all are using 1080p but PS3 games still seem to be stuck in the realm of 720p so i would've thought monitors were able to cope better with the refresh rate.

I haven't looked into the whole reasoning behind PS3 games being at 720p thing too much, but I believe it has something to do with what can be done vs the benefits of actually doing it. i.e. a game running at 1080p wouldn't necessarily benefit from being natively at that resolution vs being upscaled. I assume that's the reasoning behind PS3 games being 720p most of the time vs their 360 counterparts being at 1080p, when blurays have more space for the higher resolution, and most 360's don't even have HDMI ports.

But it occurs to me there may be a much simpler solution at play here. Could it be you have both your monitor & your PS3 set to upscale? Mayhaps that's something that would cause a conflict/ghosting/resolution loss. Trying turning off your monitor's upscaling, and letting the PS3 handle it, or vice versa. It may also have something to do with the size of the monitor, as I recall reading something about HD displays below 30-40 inches not being up to snuff yet technology wise with the bigger boys. Of course lastly it may just be the fact that it's a computer monitor first, and an HD monotor second. I agree with whoever said take it on town to a friend's house who has an HDtv with 1080p & an HDMI port, and testing it there. Just remembe,r to reset your PS3's video settings to default, hold the power button down for a few extra seconds when starting up, it makes switching between TV types much easier.

Edited by Keith

what are some of the best games for the ps3 that you guys are playing that you would recommend?

Valkyria Chronicles

Man this game is AWESOME!! I know I've seen other posts here and there saying the same, but I had to add my excitement!

If only there were other games along this same idea.....

The anime starts next month.

Going to check it out and hopefully it won't ruin it too too much. <_<

Website = http://www.valkyria-anime.com/index.html

Trailer = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um0SQRXWdFs...feature=related

Still shots = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSCoULgBmoo...feature=related

Character Sheets =

Man this game is AWESOME!! I know I've seen other posts here and there saying the same, but I had to add my excitement!

If only there were other games along this same idea.....

The anime starts next month.

Going to check it out and hopefully it won't ruin it too too much. <_<

Website = http://www.valkyria-anime.com/index.html

Trailer = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um0SQRXWdFs...feature=related

Still shots = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSCoULgBmoo...feature=related

Character Sheets =

Agreed. This game was what made me buy the PS3 this week. :lol:

But the jagged lines on the character models bug me.....there's no anti-aliasing in this game or is my monitor borked? I downloaded the Afro Samurai demo and that looked really smooth and awesome.

As for the anime, looks really promising. :)

congrats man! killzone2 and sf4 are only 720p too. i had your setup problem aswell before and i ended up buying a new 52" samsung :lol:

actual manually turn of the 720p support in display setting will force the ps3 to display 1080p if the games are listed to be 1080p... Killzone2 for example.

ps3 is not good at up convert, we have even talked about this in is thread a while back.

actual manually turn of the 720p support in display setting will force the ps3 to display 1080p if the games are listed to be 1080p... Killzone2 for example.

ps3 is not good at up convert, we have even talked about this in is thread a while back.

i did that with sf4 and it was crappy

i did that with sf4 and it was crappy

killzone2 was 1080 something for me and it is really good, if any game says it is 720p on the box, ps3 will actually down convert it to 480i if 720p is disable. i like to use vivid setting on my to make the colors stand out more.

Killzone 2 supports 720p and 1080i, which people claim 720p is way better than 1080i.

Agreed. This game was what made me buy the PS3 this week. :lol:

But the jagged lines on the character models bug me.....there's no anti-aliasing in this game or is my monitor borked? I downloaded the Afro Samurai demo and that looked really smooth and awesome.

As for the anime, looks really promising. :)

For Valkyria, that's the art style...it's not your monitor. Unless yours is really really bad or something, but the art style has those lines. It's not the PS3 or your monitor if that's what you were worried about.

For Valkyria, that's the art style...it's not your monitor. Unless yours is really really bad or something, but the art style has those lines. It's not the PS3 or your monitor if that's what you were worried about.

I doubt its the art style though. Why take away from aesthetics and make straight lines look jagged? Well 1st time i saw it at my friend's place i didn't really realised the jagged lines...probably because he wasn't using a true HD tv and i was sitting far away from it. Probably more noticeable when you're using a 1080p monitor where you sit just about a feet away. I'll take the game to another friend's place and see how it looks there.

Btw I just completed 1st encounter with Selvaria. OMG HAX!! 0.o.

And lol...lelouch is Maximilian. i keep hearing Jun Fukuyama's voice in everything that has an European character now.

Is any hope of Ace Combat for PS3 dead? I haven't heard anything in so long. Is there any good Flight Sims for PS3?

I would say it's vaporware until we actually start getting news. As for recent flight sims....HAWX demo is available on PSN as is Red Baron. Mind you I haven't played either. Only flight game I've been playing on the PS3 is 1942:Joint Strike which isn't really a flight sim. :p

I'll get Red Baron when it has Trophies. Am so glad they didn't cank it, though, so might get it anyways once I progress on the games I have right now.

I thought it was confirmed the price drop was just a lie? Read somewhere that said the rumored price drop was in fact a PS3 console Pre-packed with Resistance and some other racing game which name i forgot....but it is at the same retail price as now. So basically you're getting 2 games free for the same price, not a price drop.

Picked up and currently playing CoD:WAW...simply because I played the Nazi Zombies level on a buddy's 360. Is Nazi Zombies a multiplayer only map? I also downloaded the PSN addon pack.

So current list of FPS I have but have barely played.

CoD:WAW Furthest I've gotten yet. Onto stage/mission 2!!!

CoD4: not even out of the training area. Ha!

Killzone: followed that guy to the staging area.....and that's it. Ha!

I thought it was confirmed the price drop was just a lie? Read somewhere that said the rumored price drop was in fact a PS3 console Pre-packed with Resistance and some other racing game which name i forgot....but it is at the same retail price as now. So basically you're getting 2 games free for the same price, not a price drop.

Yup:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/30/sony-has...s-rumors-false/

I would say it's vaporware until we actually start getting news. As for recent flight sims....HAWX demo is available on PSN as is Red Baron. Mind you I haven't played either. Only flight game I've been playing on the PS3 is 1942:Joint Strike which isn't really a flight sim. :p

Thanks Dangard Ace,

Never heard of HAWX, but it looks ok - has anyone here tried it? Might be worth the download. I wonder if it will work with the Ace Combat HOTAS system?

Thanks Dangard Ace,

Never heard of HAWX, but it looks ok - has anyone here tried it? Might be worth the download. I wonder if it will work with the Ace Combat HOTAS system?

It's... underwhelming. If you're spoiled by Ace Combat (like everyone else :p) it's not as fun as it should be I guess... Not that the game is bad, it just fell short of expectations.

What? All this time I kept reading that the PS3 was great at upconversion... I guess that's for movies only huh...

And lol...lelouch is Maximilian. i keep hearing Jun Fukuyama's voice in everything that has an European character now.

I... just... can't see it...

Edited by shiroikaze

Thanks Dangard Ace,

There's a thread on it.

I doubt its the art style though. Why take away from aesthetics and make straight lines look jagged? Well 1st time i saw it at my friend's place i didn't really realised the jagged lines...probably because he wasn't using a true HD tv and i was sitting far away from it. Probably more noticeable when you're using a 1080p monitor where you sit just about a feet away. I'll take the game to another friend's place and see how it looks there.

Btw I just completed 1st encounter with Selvaria. OMG HAX!! 0.o.

Hmmmm, the art style to me is great. No issues here.

Just finished the game, awesome stuff!! Highly recommend this game!! If only there were another release of Final Fantasy Tactics in this format.

Now I have to figure out how to get those 'side missions' or whatever they are.......

Edited by GRAND CANNON

Hmmmm, the art style to me is great. No issues here.

Just finished the game, awesome stuff!! Highly recommend this game!! If only there were another release of Final Fantasy Tactics in this format.

Now I have to figure out how to get those 'side missions' or whatever they are.......

I love the art style as well. No issues with the art style. But the engine's anti-aliasing needs some work...hopefully future games will utilise the CANVAS engine and eliminate the aliasing.

Side missions? You mean the ones you unlock from the journalist by paying her? Speaking of side missions, DLCs for VC is coming this month. :) We get two extra missions and HARD EX mode unlocked.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=210845

Currently at chapter 10. ;) Loving the game.

I love the art style as well. No issues with the art style. But the engine's anti-aliasing needs some work...hopefully future games will utilise the CANVAS engine and eliminate the aliasing.

Side missions? You mean the ones you unlock from the journalist by paying her? Speaking of side missions, DLCs for VC is coming this month. :) We get two extra missions and HARD EX mode unlocked.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=210845

Currently at chapter 10. ;) Loving the game.

Yes, Not sure how to go about getting them, though. I cleared it and am now-replaying, but when I visited her with a boatload of $$$, there was nothing to buy.

I didn't visit her during the game more than once, should I have?

Can't wait for the DL stuff.

Yes, Not sure how to go about getting them, though. I cleared it and am now-replaying, but when I visited her with a boatload of $$$, there was nothing to buy.

I didn't visit her during the game more than once, should I have?

Can't wait for the DL stuff.

Yeah, you need to visit her between every mission and see if there's something new. Unlocking Largo's Veggie Maniac potential is pretty funny.

If you just started again, you'll have to wait until you reach the points where she has those stories ready to publish.

I just finished the game yesterday morning. It's pretty damn awesome... probably my favorite game on PS3 so far.

They could definitely make prequels and/or sequels out of this.

Yeah, you need to visit her between every mission and see if there's something new. Unlocking Largo's Veggie Maniac potential is pretty funny.

YASAI BANZAI!! :lol: Though i'm not really sure when exactly the potential is activated (i don't see any vegetables on the map....)

Yes i'm playing it subbed. ^_^

GrandCannon: Unlock the beach episode. ;)

not sure if this is the right thread to ask... anyway...

after finishing force unleashed, i'm now jonesing for ZOE2. thing is my ZOE2 (european special ed., PAL) won't play on my asian PS3 (i know, shouldn't be a surprise) and i've already given away my old PS2 to a nephew. so my options are:

1. is there now a hack to make PS3 play other PS2 regions?

2. if i were to buy another ZOE2, which version/release is compatible with my PS3 (asian 80GB), and ideally in english?

thanks

not sure if this is the right thread to ask... anyway...

after finishing force unleashed, i'm now jonesing for ZOE2. thing is my ZOE2 (european special ed., PAL) won't play on my asian PS3 (i know, shouldn't be a surprise) and i've already given away my old PS2 to a nephew. so my options are:

1. is there now a hack to make PS3 play other PS2 regions?

2. if i were to buy another ZOE2, which version/release is compatible with my PS3 (asian 80GB), and ideally in english?

thanks

There is no hack so far that can enable any PS3 to play other reqions' PS2 games. Let alone PAL to NTSC and vice versa... though I have read that ZOE2 has a hidden option that can make it play on either PAL/NTSC consoles.

Also, good luck trying to buy another copy, it's pretty hard to come by nowadays. If you have a Japanese PS3 (Is it Jap?) You will have to get the actual JAP NTSC version of the game in order to play it. So no English for you unfortunately...

Best answer is to buy another PS2... Used PS2s should be cheap nowadays but if you want to keep clutter down, it's not really a good idea.

Or you could try this, it might help you but I can't say how successful it is playing PAL games: http://ps3.qj.net/Video-tutorial-for-runni...g/49/aid/128307

Edited by shiroikaze

I'm having trouble connecting to the internet/ network. When I try to connect it says "Connection to the network cannot be established" and gives me a code. I haven't changed the settings on the PS3 or my router settings. I run a wireless network but it worked before.