Macross Frontier Episode 8 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 8 rating  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 8 Rating

• Positive (Sheryl's panties! tee hee)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Sheryl's panties and Ranka's "magical bump" are REAL turnoffs)

I believe that is where the band then got their name.

As for the Ranka knowing Brera, I'm sticking to the idea she doesn't and her saying "You.." was something like "You... know that song??"

Any other day of the week, and I'd think you were talking about me. :lol:

SO except for Saturdays your a bad ass NUNS pilot who happens to play a musical instrument? Deculture! :blink:

Ranka is going to say "You...bastard! That's my song! Get your own damn theme song!"

Edited by Heron

"YOU..." something about the way she said it just sounded more like "you seem familiar in some way but i dont know who you are"

i do.....im willing to bet hes family...or at least a survivor from Rankas fleet.

Im feeling the Vajra arent simply about kill...but theres also capturing and subjegating them too. Remember they took Luca and it didnt seem they had killing on their mind when Alto found him.

bleh...a whole week to go

oh and just a quick edit: To earlier comments that he has zentradi ears and looks different....though thats true we still have no clue whats going on from the Vajra. He has some markings and a an odd look that look to be some kind of modification of some sort. Perhaps people being turned into fighters...or a project that went wrong.

Oh and isnt Ranka 1/4 zentran?

Edited by SpacePirateNeko

"YOU..." something about the way she said it just sounded more like "you seem familiar in some way but i dont know who you are"

i do.....im willing to bet hes family...or at least a survivor from Rankas fleet.

Actually I can believe easily that he may turn out to be related to Ranka and be a survivor of the 117th research fleet. However that doesn't necessarily mean she knows him.

Too many mysteries, too goofy a plot, this episode was teh suxor. I tried to have fun with it, I really did, but.... lame. I guess it's another episode that sets up a future episode to be good though since now we have even more mysteries to unfold. Has creepy looking Cathy-boyfriend guy ever expressed an interest in Ranka before? MEGA MEH!

Just going to throw out my pennies. Finally visual confirmation of Sutro TV tower! Since Macross 25 is supposed to be a mesh of San Francisco and Shibuya, why have we seen very little of the shibuya side of design? I mean come on, where is the iconic Shibuya crossing?

Another thing I am having trouble with is the fact that the 'sun' sets. Where is this light coming from? If its from a local star, it should be a single always visible point of light. Rotation of a celestial body is what causes other bodies to appear to rise and set. And sky coloration. how is that achieved? I do like how the clamshell over the city no longer looks like a sky as apposed to the one in M7, but these trivial questions just keep nagging at the back of my mind.

Has creepy looking Cathy-boyfriend guy ever expressed an interest in Ranka before?

Yeah he reacted strangely when he saw her pic amonsgt the people who had contact with the Vajra, and quite obviously influenced the Miss Macross jury members so that Ranka would not win.

-Sergorn

Just going to throw out my pennies. Finally visual confirmation of Sutro TV tower! Since Macross 25 is supposed to be a mesh of San Francisco and Shibuya, why have we seen very little of the shibuya side of design? I mean come on, where is the iconic Shibuya crossing?

Another thing I am having trouble with is the fact that the 'sun' sets. Where is this light coming from? If its from a local star, it should be a single always visible point of light. Rotation of a celestial body is what causes other bodies to appear to rise and set. And sky coloration. how is that achieved? I do like how the clamshell over the city no longer looks like a sky as apposed to the one in M7, but these trivial questions just keep nagging at the back of my mind.

Pretty sure it's all done with holographics, as it was in M7. Everything, including the tides, weather cycles, etc. would be artificual approximations of the real thing.

Alto doesn't strike me as self-absorbed. While it does look like he doesn't want to be distracted from piloting by the constant troubles that seem to plague him (Sheryl ;) ), he doesn't seem like the sort of guy who's willing to let people around him get hurt. But he's tsundere through and through, so it's only natural that he'd show it in sparks (i.e.when they need him the most).

I can agree with that and kind of relate to that about Alto. So far we can see he does care, alot in fact, about Ranka, Luca, and Sheryl. He's completely brash and reckless, but very stoic at the same time... and very distant, overall. I'm sure his somewhat famous family and their relationship factors in towards his feelings about Sheryl especially, and how he deals with her; I'm sure we're going to see and hear more about Alto's father soon, at least. He kind of reminds me of Basara a bit so far, but they're very, very different characters.

One thing that I noticed both through Sheryl's talk with Alto before her last concert and the earlier episodes is that she seems to have grown up too fast; had I not known otherwise, I would have guessed that she was in her mid to late twenties given only the first few episodes. It's only through these interactions with Alto that she's been able to act her own age and have some fun (which was vital in making her so likable). I think that part of her future development as a character will depend on how successful she is in bridging the gap between herself and the others. (In a sense, it's the same problem as Ranka, from a different angle; Ranka needs to overcome her insecurities to understand that she's not being left out by Alto and her brother, and Sheryl needs to dispel the myths about her public persona to avoid feeling left out by Alto and his circle of friends.)

I think the Eva comparison was mainly just a consequence of this episode, as part of the whole "high school hijinks" routine. The whole "master-slave" comedy duo wasn't nearly as evident during the date episode, for example. While Sheryl is supremely confident, the twist to her character comes from the fact that she's appealing even when she succeeds! Despite the sheer stupidity of jumping off the school roof, there was something utterly charming in her expression as she caught those panties. She set her mind on it, and she got it, regardless of the cost or how silly she looked. The reason: her confidence doesn't come from what other people think; it comes from her own belief in herself. And that's something that I can respect.

I really kind of liked Sheryl's breakdown on stage in episode 7... deep down she really cares about Alto (and Ranka) on some level, but it's a running gag that she's just completely inept at being anything but 'Sheryl Nome, Galactic Songstress.' Emotionally, and... doing laundry. Sheryl's shell has been coming down ('shell down' rdrr) on some level, and with that she's started being alot more likable. I think it's more an issue of over-confidence, though, since she's as high strung as Alto, and definitely not used to putting herself out there (except maybe in her songs). She's trying to maintain the 'image' of Sheryl Nome, but at the same time trying to be close to people that she's starting to care about... and, oh, the hijinks that will ensue.

I can't help but feel sorry for Ranka, as she has had a rough past few episodes and has been (inadvertently) walked all over by Sheryl. Seems like she really has started believing in herself, but things are just not going her way. Really kind of feels like the dynamic between her and Alto is dead in the water for now (although they've had an odd relationship from the start), but I'm sure big things are coming her way regardless. I think the friendship, or rivalry between her and Sheryl is going to become really important, and I'm definitely intrigued to find out what link she has to Brera. I'm voting long lost brother. I really hope the series stays strong in Macross fashion, regardless.

I think from here on out the only real logical turn of events in Frontier from is to have Sheryl and Ranka learn to fly and sing, Alto take up guitar, Michael take up Keytar, Klan Klan Drums, and maybe Luca on bass. Brera has harmonica on lock, and Nanase can be... a bridge bunny.

The sun is a holgraphic projection, just like the sky...

I am so hoping the AiA editor gets the timing right on the cutaway from the sponsor's message. The last 3 eps you hear a squeak of the opening music to it just before the next scene. It is beginning to get annoying...

Either leave it in or cut it better... <_< A small complaint for an outstanding group, but still irritating...

Except they look nothing alike, and he has Zentradi ears.

Well it is all genetics if they bought are 1/4 zentradi some genes could show and some not. My cousin is 1/2 Peruvian 1/2 American and her kids are 1/4 Peruvian. Her daughter came out with all hispanic features, brown hair, brown eyes, etc, while her sons (twins) came out blond and blue eyed so it is all about recessive genes.

Foo Fighter was WW2 pilot slang for a UFO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo_fighter

Duke is right, it was the slang used for mysterious lights in the sky or balls of fire. Which makes me wonder if Leon or anyone knows of the existence of the VF-27 if that is really the model of that particular fighter because he so footage of the fighter in battroid and gerwalk.

Well it is all genetics if they bought are 1/4 zentradi some genes could show and some not. My cousin is 1/2 Peruvian 1/2 American and her kids are 1/4 Peruvian. Her daughter came out with all hispanic features, brown hair, brown eyes, etc, while her sons (twins) came out blond and blue eyed so it is all about recessive genes.

Also agreed on. The anata was too what is the word I am looking for... farmiliar for it to be that she didn't recognize something.

The sun is a holgraphic projection, just like the sky...

I am so hoping the AiA editor gets the timing right on the cutaway from the sponsor's message. The last 3 eps you hear a squeak of the opening music to it just before the next scene. It is beginning to get annoying...

Either leave it in or cut it better... <_< A small complaint for an outstanding group, but still irritating...

Is there documented cannon reference for this explanation? The fact that the 'holo' sun seems to put off a significant amount of light makes me skeptical . . .

oh, and some awesome i came across. . .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mO5Zw44qSxo

Edited by azrael

The first episode of Macross 7 showed us that it is a hologram or projection on the dome panels. When the first attack happens Max ordered the shell down, which the operators confused made the shell off which was turning off the hologram which allowed the people in the city be able to see the ongoing battle outside the city domes.

The first episode of Macross 7 showed us that it is a hologram or projection on the dome panels. When the first attack happens Max ordered the shell down, which the operators confused made the shell off which was turning off the hologram which allowed the people in the city be able to see the ongoing battle outside the city domes.

Ah, I forgot about that! thank you for reminding me.

Haven't started reading this thread and just saw 5 minutes of episode 8 and rather not noticing the difference in animation quality between the previous episodes, this time it seems that this particular one has been given to a very different (non-Japanese?) studio. Must say that it is not an improvement. :mellow:

Post a conclusive comment later!

Haven't started reading this thread and just saw 5 minutes of episode 8 and rather not noticing the difference in animation quality between the previous episodes, this time it seems that this particular one has been given to a very different (non-Japanese?) studio. Must say that it is not an improvement. :mellow:

Post a conclusive comment later!

The faces are far more pointed and some of the characters are drawn different. Best example as Graham stated is that Sheryl seems extremely thin best case and point the shower scene.

That is fast...

I think this is something that sets her apart from most typical characters in most anime. Most of the time, such confidence is made to be superficial, especially when it seems to come of as a bit arrogant. Makes me wonder if some anime viewers have been conditioned to that type of characterization and as a result tesnd to dilsike Sheryl.

One of the things that people have to overcome (well, I did, at least) is our perceptions of people who are richer and more famous than ourselves. It's always easier to think the worst of someone who has it all to start with, so even the slightest mistep on Sheryl's part can easily have a large negative impact on her character. Furthermore, since we didn't get to witness Sheryl's rise to success, we have no idea of all the difficulties that we went through to reach her current position, in the same way we would, say Alto or Ranka.

I'm wondering if there are any cultural differences in the way a North American audience percieves stardom as opposed to a Japanese audience. In North America at least, it seems that fame seems intimately linked with scandal. That's yet another obstacle to overcome, it's hard to see admirable traits in someone whom you would normally feel inclined to scoff at. Linked to this is also the racy holographic outfits; while Sheryl isn't actually wearing them, I suspect it might still subconciously create some turmoil in someone fixated on a fairytale like ideal of "innocence" in romance, even though it doesn't directly contradict it.

I can agree with that and kind of relate to that about Alto. So far we can see he does care, alot in fact, about Ranka, Luca, and Sheryl. He's completely brash and reckless, but very stoic at the same time... and very distant, overall. I'm sure his somewhat famous family and their relationship factors in towards his feelings about Sheryl especially, and how he deals with her; I'm sure we're going to see and hear more about Alto's father soon, at least. He kind of reminds me of Basara a bit so far, but they're very, very different characters.

His distant behaviour stems at least in part from his desire to rely only on himself. There's an important scene at the end of episode 3 where he declares "I want to live by my own means. When I die I'll be alone." Similarily, when he's trapped with Ranka and Sheryl earlier that same episode, he seems frustrated by his inability to do anything (or possibly protect the people with him, seeing as that bit of introspection was triggered by Sheryl's remark that Alto should be more supportive). While I don't understand the origin of his desire for self-reliance, I suspect that is the reason for his 'tsun' rather than a lack of concern for the people around him.

I really kind of liked Sheryl's breakdown on stage in episode 7... deep down she really cares about Alto (and Ranka) on some level, but it's a running gag that she's just completely inept at being anything but 'Sheryl Nome, Galactic Songstress.' Emotionally, and... doing laundry. Sheryl's shell has been coming down ('shell down' rdrr) on some level, and with that she's started being alot more likable. I think it's more an issue of over-confidence, though, since she's as high strung as Alto, and definitely not used to putting herself out there (except maybe in her songs). She's trying to maintain the 'image' of Sheryl Nome, but at the same time trying to be close to people that she's starting to care about... and, oh, the hijinks that will ensue.

I wonder if Sheryl is particularly good at maintaining that image consistantly, though. As Ranka points out at the end of episode 2, Sheryl tends to say more than she should during interviews, which seems to be confirmed in the press conference in episode 6. She's mostly good at maintaining her cool, but once she gets swept up in her enthusiasm for something, she really becomes reckless. That's not to say that she isn't extremely good at maintaining her image in general, just that, perhaps she isn't quite as careful as she should be?

Emotionally... it's really difficult to gauge what's going on with Sheryl. One of the reasons that it took me so long to come around to liking her is that she recovers much too quickly for me to read her, and adapts any emotional outburst or slip to bring it back under control, rather than taking it back or covering it up. To make matters more complicated, where the future path for Ranka and Alto's respective character growth is fairly clearly laid out, Sheryl's is not. There are so many different directions in which the writers can potentially take her character that could just as easily elevate or destroy her character. Some of her more ambiguous comments from earlier still worry me at the possibility that she could turn out to be someone that I'll regret liking, but honestly, I just give up. Even if her character does take a turn for a worse, she's still one of the most entertaining and well-written characters that I've seen in a long time. Might as well just ride out the storm and see what happens. :unsure:

I wasn't really sure what exactly was happening with the laundry, but did she put the entire detergent box in the machine? :blink:

I can't help but feel sorry for Ranka, as she has had a rough past few episodes and has been (inadvertently) walked all over by Sheryl. Seems like she really has started believing in herself, but things are just not going her way. Really kind of feels like the dynamic between her and Alto is dead in the water for now (although they've had an odd relationship from the start), but I'm sure big things are coming her way regardless. I think the friendship, or rivalry between her and Sheryl is going to become really important, and I'm definitely intrigued to find out what link she has to Brera. I'm voting long lost brother. I really hope the series stays strong in Macross fashion, regardless.

I don't know about that. One of the reasons that we don't see consistant interaction between Ranka and Alto yet is because they haven't gotten the chance to really know each other yet. Alto had a much better understanding of Sheryl after their first date, which in turn initiated further interactions. But that initial "icebreaker" was needed to get things moving. All you need is some sort of reason to throw Alto and Ranka together for a while and they'll probably start hanging out with each other a lot more.

While Ranka's job situation is tough because of the interference that she's been going, part of it is in the attitude; she needs to throw herself into her singing, regardless of the situation. As Mikhail points out in episode 5, Ranka needs the resolve to sing even when there is nobody there to listen to her. While she may have appeared to meet his challenge in that episode, in reality, she did not; in drawing support from Alto's paper airplane, she is still not truly singing under conditions where it feels like there is nobody there to listen to her. That's why when faced with the same challenge a second time in the mall, she suddenly feels shy. The real changes will most likely start once she learns first and foremost to believe in herself, rather than believing in Alto who believes in her. That is, assuming that she isn't willing to kick logic to the curb the way Sheryl does, of course. ;)

Edited by Swampstorm

I'm wondering if there are any cultural differences in the way a North American audience percieves stardom as opposed to a Japanese audience. In North America at least, it seems that fame seems intimately linked with scandal.

It's the same in Japan. Here's one article of many which I could produce:

http://wiki.theppn.org/Kago_Ai_Smoking_Scandal

(The punishment seemed awfully strict, though...could you imagine Lindsey Lohan's management putting her under "house arrest"...?)

Duke is right, it was the slang used for mysterious lights in the sky or balls of fire. Which makes me wonder if Leon or anyone knows of the existence of the VF-27 if that is really the model of that particular fighter because he so footage of the fighter in battroid and gerwalk.

Interesting. Seems Foo Fighters are known for its erratic movement and maneuverability, as shown by the VF-27.

Foo Fighter UK_FooFighters_400.jpg

or Foo Fighter 240px-Foo_Fighter.png

?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saw the Foo Fighters (the band that is) a few weeks ago in concert, they were great...... B))

Taksraven

Foo Fighter UK_FooFighters_400.jpg

or Foo Fighter 240px-Foo_Fighter.png

?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saw the Foo Fighters (the band that is) a few weeks ago in concert, they were great...... B))

Taksraven

Leon probably thought it was the Fire Valkyrie of Basara (Feu, Fire in French) j/k:P

Edited by RichterX

Have you guys tried to play Macross Frontier on your x-box 360? I am downloading now the AiA episode 8 file and it says that they are compatible with the 360, how do you run them in the 360?