Macross Frontier Episode 8 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 8 rating  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 8 Rating

• Positive (Sheryl's panties! tee hee)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Sheryl's panties and Ranka's "magical bump" are REAL turnoffs)

I've read in other forums where not only did they speculate this, but also that S.M.S. may stand for Shinsei Military Services (instead of Speed Miracle Spacy as stated in the S.M.S. Song) and further extrapolated to the VF-27 being by Galaxy and the VF-25 being by Shinsei (which contradicts what we know, since its been stated that the VF-25 is by L.A.I.).

Huh, so there will be Shinsei Military Service (S.M.S) versus Galaxy Protection Service (G.P.S) :blink:

I watched this episode a couple of times and I think Luca is like that flower girl (name???) in Macross 7. Luca has this serious crush on Nanase but is too shy to talk to her about it. It is like that Mac7 girl that never gave those flowers to Basara until the last episode.

I would hate to wait until episode 26 before Luca asks her out on a date. That's assuming he survives to episode 26.

I watched this episode a couple of times and I think Luca is like that flower girl (name???) in Macross 7. Luca has this serious crush on Nanase but is too shy to talk to her about it. It is like that Mac7 girl that never gave those flowers to Basara until the last episode.

I would hate to wait until episode 26 before Luca asks her out on a date. That's assuming he survives to episode 26.

At least Luca has lines :D

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but isn't the eyecatch image this episode the exact same as the drawing that Ozma was throwing darts at about 16 minutes into episode four?

Edited by Swampstorm

I don't believe I've said anything on these forums before, but I've been very interested in the Macross world since I was quite young. I'm 23 now and still in love with the old and the new of the "Macross galaxy"... However, I must say I despise Nanase.

How dare she insult Sheryl?! Haha! She is a twit and she slightly resembles someone I used to know (in a very caricatured way, of course) who had terribly bad breath. All Sheryl meant to do was help Ranka, which hypothetically would be very very very good for her career. In the entertainment industry it's about talent, luck, and contacts. I'd say Sheryl is a pretty good contact to have. Ranka already has a dash of talent and more luck than the Irish, so a contact is just what she needs. The exposure would've been a huge help for her career. And here comes Nanase... sweet, shy, innocent little meganekko twit that she is out to "defend" her beloved little paragon of holy voice without having the slightest idea of what it means to get what it is you truly want. Obviously. So yes, attack me if you will. Nanase is a fool and I will now forever despise her.

Though I am still glad she's in the series somehow. :rolleyes:

Nice to meet you all!

In Macross Zero, Dr. Aries Turner and Dr. Hasford postulated that humanity's evolution, at least, was driven by a Virus, a virus possibly created by the Protoculture. Now I know it wasn't directly referred that way in the series but that is why I used postulate.

Seeing how episode 8 opened with a reference to AFOS and later referenced a virus, it makes a certain kind of sense.

That's the best theory I've heard so far and I'm in 100% agreement Heron.

As for Graham- I'm going with a separate theory as to the missing UN Spacy Kite. The events of VF-X2 tell us that there was a civil war. So far I've gathered this much. After the civil war in VF-X2, the UN Spacy COMPLETELY reorganized. New name. New logo all together.

So essentially the UN Spacy has ceased to exist as far as I can tell (and until I see otherwise in Frontier, I'm firmed up on that belief).

As for the VF-27, it is probably from the Galaxy Fleet. True. But I think we're going to find out that the Anti-UN Forces are still VERY active. Look at VF-X2 once again... in a sense you can say that those events were instigated by the Anti-UN Forces as well. And the VF-27's remarkable likeness to the SV-51 is just too much to overlook. The SV-51 is so radically different from the UN Spacy Variable Fighters (With the exception of the VF-17/VF-171 and VF-22 since the VF-17/VF-171 were based on the F-117, and the VF-22 was based on the Queadluun-Rea Power Armor). Other than those exceptions, the UN Spacy/NUNS Fighters have all had similarities with eachother, while if you look at the SV-51 and the VF-27, their similarities are too much to overlook and further reinforce the strong possibility of it being an Anti-UN Fighter.

So here goes my theory as to what's going on here.

We know for a fact they're making a LOT of Macross Zero references throughout the series. ESPECIALLY after the intro to Episode 8. During the Unification Wars, AFOS was the Anti-UN Forces' trump card. They lost it. Wouldn't it stand to reason that they're searching for it? Even after 50 years? I HIGHLY anticipate we'll see the Birdman again in this series. Post-Mortum (With Sara Nome all rotted inside, not looking so hot anymore).

As far as why we're seeing Brera on the Frontier, I think he retreated to the Dulfim. And that the Anti-UN Forces (Or whatever they turn out to be) had fully infiltrated the Macross Galaxy Fleet. Hell, they made the remark of why were the Kaitos and Dulfim away from the main fleet anyhow... But we'll see. :)

Just my two cents.

I don't believe I've said anything on these forums before, but I've been very interested in the Macross world since I was quite young. I'm 23 now and still in love with the old and the new of the "Macross galaxy"... However, I must say I despise Nanase.

How dare she insult Sheryl?! Haha! She is a twit and she slightly resembles someone I used to know (in a very caricatured way, of course) who had terribly bad breath. All Sheryl meant to do was help Ranka, which hypothetically would be very very very good for her career. In the entertainment industry it's about talent, luck, and contacts. I'd say Sheryl is a pretty good contact to have. Ranka already has a dash of talent and more luck than the Irish, so a contact is just what she needs. The exposure would've been a huge help for her career. And here comes Nanase... sweet, shy, innocent little meganekko twit that she is out to "defend" her beloved little paragon of holy voice without having the slightest idea of what it means to get what it is you truly want. Obviously. So yes, attack me if you will. Nanase is a fool and I will now forever despise her.

Though I am still glad she's in the series somehow. :rolleyes:

Nice to meet you all!

I think the purpose of that part of the scene had more to imply an interest on Nanase's part towards Alto. Her reaction was emotional, which probably made it more difficult to rationally weigh the benefits that such an offer would have for Ranka. Everyone has their jealous moments. :p

Regardless, Sheryl waited for Ranka's answer, though not Nanase; the final decision strikes me as something that Ranka wanted. Furthermore, given that Sheryl's own ascent to stardom took place without the support of any family or friends, it looked like Sheryl respected Ranka all the more for saying it.

It's the right choice on Ranka's part, too. If it comes too easily or too quickly, then she won't have a chance to grow. The carrot gig is nothing for her to look down on; that's her chance to build up her skills for the real thing.

I think the purpose of that part of the scene had more to imply an interest on Nanase's part towards Alto. Her reaction was emotional, which probably made it more difficult to rationally weigh the benefits that such an offer would have for Ranka. Everyone has their jealous moments. :p

Regardless, Sheryl waited for Ranka's answer, though not Nanase; the final decision strikes me as something that Ranka wanted. Furthermore, given that Sheryl's own ascent to stardom took place without the support of any family or friends, it looked like Sheryl respected Ranka all the more for saying it.

It's the right choice on Ranka's part, too. If it comes too easily or too quickly, then she won't have a chance to grow. The carrot gig is nothing for her to look down on; that's her chance to build up her skills for the real thing.

I hope I'm misreading this, but do you think Nanase has something for Alto? I also thought that her reaction was full of unwarranted pride, "my friend doesn't need your help to become a star!!!" and has put a negative connotation to the help that Sheryl has offered. Sheryl's ascent perhaps didn't take family or friends, but at least professional contacts? Her manager doesn't look like a small fry to me.

In Macross Zero, Dr. Aries Turner and Dr. Hasford postulated that humanity's evolution, at least, was driven by a Virus, a virus possibly created by the Protoculture. Now I know it wasn't directly referred that way in the series but that is why I used postulate.

Seeing how episode 8 opened with a reference to AFOS and later referenced a virus, it makes a certain kind of sense.

The evolutionary virus mechanism is interesting. It fits in well as to why the scientists were taking blood samples of the local population in Maya, I presumed it was to check their DNA sequence.

However, what perplexes me is this. If prior to PC on Earth, the local inhabitants were "fish" like as opposed to with legs as a humanoid, why wasn't it mentioned that there transitional fossils? The earliest ancestors must have look differently from the current ones!

I wonder if the engineered virus is locally administered to sample population as opposed to widespread air-borne application. The former would result in transitional species, so if it wasn't mentioned in macross universe, probably PC used an air-borne application.

I hope I'm misreading this, but do you think Nanase has something for Alto? I also thought that her reaction was full of unwarranted pride, "my friend doesn't need your help to become a star!!!" and has put a negative connotation to the help that Sheryl has offered. Sheryl's ascent perhaps didn't take family or friends, but at least professional contacts? Her manager doesn't look like a small fry to me.

Still early to judge but I would think so, since Nanase starts to blush when Sheryl teases her about her motive and intentions. ^_^

I also got the impression that it had more to do with her defending Ranka. She got upset with Sheryl for acting in a way that she saw as condescending towards Ranka and also for seemingly monopolizing the guy that Ranka has an interest in. I think Sheryl misinterpreted that as her having feelings for Alto herself when she was actually speaking up on Ranka's behalf. I think she was blushing simply because she was caught off guard by the suggestion that she has feelings for Alto.

I think it's more likely that Nanase has something for Ranka.

Graham

I agree

Edited by Raptor One

As far as why we're seeing Brera on the Frontier, I think he retreated to the Dulfim. And that the Anti-UN Forces (Or whatever they turn out to be) had fully infiltrated the Macross Galaxy Fleet. Hell, they made the remark of why were the Kaitos and Dulfim away from the main fleet anyhow... But we'll see. :)

but Brera and the 2 vf-27 were folding away from the scene at the end of ep 7, they could'nt have boarded the dulfim. furthermore, if they were in dulfim, the whole crew were still in quarantine, he wouldn't be out there in the hills with Ranka.

after watching the fansubs

i am angry to find out that the sms risk their life for galaxy group were a bunch of cowards

they ran away from the first sign of varja attack, leaving their mothership galaxy to rot

i am also find it strange that they were not court martial in frontier and instead

their green pet and member can go into island 1

and create trouble for sheryl, the queen.

We don't know that the Dulfim and Kaitos 'ran away' from the rest of the Galaxy fleet. They may have been despatched specifically to seek aid from the Frontier fleet.

Neither do we know that Brera Stern is from the Dulfim.

I suspect that he got on board Frontier Island 1 covertly and is not conected with the Dulfim and Kaitos.

Graham

I believe that Brera was inside Macross Frontier the whole time. As posted in other threads, the VF-27 may very well be controlled through VR. Brera could be a cyborg that somehow can remotely control the crimson VF-27... ^_^

Maybe he stole the VF-27 from the Galaxy fleet by hacking it somehow... And he was employed by Leon to do so...

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Graham

I bet Luca is hoping the same way, seriously this kid have some problems (wild imagination, naming machines) :wacko:

after watching the fansubs

i am angry to find out that the sms risk their life for galaxy group were a bunch of cowards

they ran away from the first sign of varja attack, leaving their mothership galaxy to rot

i am also find it strange that they were not court martial in frontier and instead

their green pet and member can go into island 1

and create trouble for sheryl, the queen.

Nonsense. A soldier who stays alive is a smart soldier.

there is no way brera is not from Galaxy group that fought on esp 7

brera blow a hole in varja mothership, destroy some small varja and save alto in the end

brera then fold together with two green galaxy fighter toward frontier

he and his green pet check out ok, and after the debriefing, he went to island 1 for R&R.

of course that group ran away, a small fighter already dispatch to seek help. they are not to seek help, they are to run away, leaving galaxy to die.

why should they leave the galaxy other than to run for their life??

there is no tactical purpose to leave the battlefield while the enemy is still attacking?

Brera is part of the good guys , that is for sure.

no doubt he might join SMS in future.

they should court martial the deserter and shot and throw into the recycle water thingy.

also now sheryl into pilot course, the picture of pink VF-25 is a reality now.

sheryl will pilot a VF-25 in an ultimate dead and alive struggle with varja, full attack fleet.

Edited by ma2ha3

NEWTYPES!! :lol:

*runs*

Another Super Pack for the VF-25 Carrying BITS? :ph34r:

Anyways...Leon is getting shadier and shadier with all the activities his been doing that are revealed in this episode. Something tells me his agenda is'nt really about the safety of frontier citizens its more like the acquisition of Vajra weapons/technolgy. As for the character voiced by the Kira Yamato VA, I'm at a loss on who he is. :wacko:

Nonsense. A soldier who stays alive is a smart soldier.

Unless he compromises the mission, compromises unit effectiveness, affects morale and cohesion, or gets his fellow soldiers hurt or killed as a result of his desire to stay alive. Then he's a dirtbag. ^_^

I'd have the senior officers of that crew brought up on deriliction of duties, cowardace in the face of the enemy, conduct unbecoming of an officer (a great catch-all reg,) and probably a few lesser charges under the NUNS equivalent of UCMJ.

Edited by Vinnie

It's easy enough to get a bigshot manager after you become famous. I doubt that Grace went around to every orphaned girl that she saw with a teddy bear in hand to offer them careers. :lol:

As Ranka's discovering now, the hard part is getting that first big break.

And yes, I am suggesting that Nanase has a crush on Alto. Her reaction to Sheryl's question was fairly unambiguous; much moreso even than Ranka when Mikhail asked Ranka the same question a few scenes earlier.

Nothing says that you can't go after both. ;)

I also got the impression that it had more to do with her defending Ranka. She got upset with Sheryl for acting in a way that she saw as condescending towards Ranka and also for seemingly monopolizing the guy that Ranka has an interest in. I think Sheryl misinterpreted that as her having feelings for Alto herself when she was actually speaking up on Ranka's behalf. I think she was blushing simply because she was caught off guard by the suggestion that she has feelings for Alto.

The thing is that there was nothing in Sheryl's tone that was condescending to begin with. The outburst comes from her reaction to Sheryl's image, rather than through listening to what she has to say. Furthermore, Sheryl's popularity in school and her relationship with Alto are a completely different issue, so the sudden shift in topic suggests that these points are more central to what upset Nanase.

Also, don't forget that it was Nanase who seemed the most interested in eavesdropping in on the conversation between Alto and Sheryl. Remember that Ranka herself hasn't decided that she wants a romantic relationship with Alto yet, so it's entirely possible that the reason why Nanase outwardly pushes so forcefully for the relationship is because it acts as an outlet for her own unrequited feelings for Alto.

The issue of Nanase being caught off guard doesn't contradict this idea. If her defenses are down, isn't she more likely to show her feelings rather than conceal them? It's easy to shrug off something that is completely baseless. Sheryl couldn't possibly have thrown Nanase off balance were there not a ring of truth to what she said. But it's entirely possible that Nanase didn't recognize this herself; note that she drops the issue and doesn't revisit it even after recovering.

There's no point in getting worked up at Nanase over it, though. This is just human nature. As part of Sheryl's journey to find love and friendship, she's going to have to learn to deal with people misunderstanding her and isolating her due to her status. Ordeals like this are every bit as important to Sheryl's story as overcoming obstacles on the path to fame is to Ranka's.

Edited by Swampstorm

I wonder if he has also secretly named Nanase's "bumpers."

Given that all of the names he's given are biblical ones, I would think he named them "Goliath" and "Goliath 2."

Nanase lost becos she is a bimbo, big breast, big spec, dumb.

Spectacles = dumb...? Since when? :rolleyes:

With the talk of a Nanase interest in Alto and the tone of this episode, it's starting to play out more like a harem comedy like Love Hina or Tenchi Muyo than a sci-fi mecha drama. (I'm not complaining at all) Perhaps a dating sim really is a more probably spin-off than a VF-X like shooter.

Spectacles = dumb...? Since when? :rolleyes:

If she was born myopic I suppose. But of course, eye glasses and big breasts don't say anything about the character, it's the way they act. So far, if not for being defensive about Ranka, she's good in my book.