Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread II *Read 1st Post*

Okay, episode 15 seriously got me doubting which is cooler, Ozma's Valkyrie or his car :p

That thing is awesome :D

Definitely his Lancia, I'd do almost anything to drive one of those IRL.

The F-22 Raptor does have delta wings.

Well, not the traditional Delta configuration (see Eurofighter Typhoon). A Delta Wing is characterized by a triangular wing that eschews the tail control surfaces.

The F-22's wings don't form a single triangle plus it has tail control surfaces and shouldn't be considered a normal delta wing.

After looking it up, the shape of the F-22 wing is diamond

Edited by ChronoReverse

Well, not the traditional Delta configuration (see Eurofighter Typhoon). A Delta Wing is characterized by a triangular wing that eschews the tail control surfaces.

The F-22's wings don't form a single triangle plus it has tail control surfaces and shouldn't be considered a normal delta wing.

After looking it up, the shape of the F-22 wing is diamond

The F-22 doesn't have diamond wings, the vertical tails are diamond. These are diamond wings

post-8717-1216398055_thumb.jpg

Let's be pedantic then. The F-22 has a modified diamond wing bordering on trapezoidal.

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/archives/19...8/oct2a_98.html

http://www.alaska.edu/uaf/cem/cee/esm/inde...-22_project.pdf

Incidentally, this is what a delta wing looks like:

eurobannerhp2.th.jpg

Contrasting with your image of the F-22:

f22a3viewvd6.th.jpg

And compare to the YF-23:

yf23blackwidowii3zm9.th.jpg

A delta wing emphasizes the forward edge while the diamond wing combines both swept-forward and swept-back characteristics.

Edited by ChronoReverse

Let's be pedantic then. The F-22 has a modified diamond wing bordering on trapezoidal.

Incidentally, this is what a delta wing looks like:

eurobannerhp2.th.jpg

The Raptors wings are shaped like that because of its stealth characteristics.

But it matches the diamond configuration. The links I posted earlier says that the design teams decided on a diamond wing.

You can't just take an apple and call it an orange by saying it's a different version of an orange.

Edited by ChronoReverse

But it matches the diamond configuration. The links I posted earlier says that the design teams decided on a diamond wing.

You can't just take an apple and call it an orange by saying it's a different version of an orange.

ALL HAIL TO THE MOST BEAUTIFUL FIGHTER PLANE DESIGN AS OF TODAY!

(just in case you've lived under a rock all of yer life, I'm talking about the YF-23)

Regarding the delta/diamond/trapezoidal wing thing, I'll stick to whatever final word David has on this issue, and until he does, could you please stay on topic? :)

Who, what, huh? I'm completely confused now. David?

In any case, the YF-24's wings is almost completely delta while the VF-25 has the uber-cool swing-wings. It's neat how the YF-24 side-profile is nearly identical to the VF-25.

Incidentally, they were considering a variant of the F-22 that would've been a (modified) delta:

fb22linenx1.th.gif

Personally I'm a fan of the X-36 design...

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/Photo/X-36/Small/index.html

Edited by ChronoReverse

ALL HAIL TO THE MOST BEAUTIFUL FIGHTER PLANE DESIGN AS OF TODAY!

(just in case you've lived under a rock all of yer life, I'm talking about the YF-23)

Regarding the delta/diamond/trapezoidal wing thing, I'll stick to whatever final word David has on this issue, and until he does, could you please stay on topic? :)

Agreed, the YF-23 is the most beautiful jet every built, should have won the ATF project.

The F-22 was better in a number of aspects to the YF-23 which is why it was chosen but I agree, the 23 is really pretty. Speaking as an engineering student, I've met people who were on that design project, cool stuff.

Also the wing configuration on the F-22 for stealth ability is called Plan-form Alignment. It uses the angle of the wings to deflect radar better than the materials they used of the F-117 (which I don't like much).

Also, again speaking as an engineering student, the F-22 is considered to have delta wings because they are swept back. Even the B-2 Spirit and the F-14 are considered delta wing configuration. It just has to look a little like a triangle. The YF-23 is definitely a diamond shape though, much more than the F-22.

The YF-22 had diamond wings, though sorta delta-ish. But it was changed so much when it became the F-22, that it has at best "clipped semi-delta diamond" wings or something. It is by definition still a diamond, but barely---it's really close to a delta wing in function/aspect, and the h.stabs were "un-diamonded". The YF-23 (and F-104) are much more clearly diamond-winged and diamond-tailed.

Diamond(my own guess at the definition): Trailing edge sweeps foward, leading edge sweeps back. While a delta has an unswept trailing edge, and a swept-back leading edge. Note the YF-23's trailing edge sweeps sharply forward, while the -22's is only slightly swept.

(still waiting for my Ep 15 subs before I watch the ep--I expected them by this morning)

So for the F-22--if it looks like a delta, and aerodynamically performs like a delta---but is technically a diamond...

The YF-22 had diamond wings (close enough). But it was changed so much when it became the F-22, that it has at best "clipped delta" wings or something. I don't think anyone considers the F-22 to be diamond-winged.

Really technically, I think the production F-22 is a "tailed semi-delta" design---exact same as the F-15. (The F-22 is much more F-15ish than the YF-22 in many ways)

Very true, in fact the F-22 is the primary replacement for the F-15. It just does so much more than the 15's original role though. The 22 really is an all around fighter that we will be seeing for at least the next 20 years as our front line fighter.

The top view of the YF-24 reminds me of the Super Sylph from Yukikaze. I actually prefer the wings of the SS over the 25. Not sure how it would look in battroid mode though.

Probably close to how the VF-27 looks like in that mode, with the wings folded inwards.

Mecha rant ON

GalaxyVF.jpg

It's been bugging me since Ep 6. Has anybody identified the model of this VF?

Please don't tell me it'll be like the VF-4. You'll see the plane mode but not the battroid mode or gerwalk mode on screen.

YF-24 to VF-25

YF-24

YF-24a.jpg

YF-24b.jpg

VF-25

VF-25a.jpg

Is it possible that the VF-27 is also derived from the YF-24?

Macross Galaxy

MacrossGalaxy3.jpg

Still can't make head or tails where the NMC is. I'm starting to think this is the biggest Macross there is. If the people behind Galaxy are from the Global they may also have adopted the whole SDF Macross concept on it.

Please don't tell me it'll be like the VF-4. You'll see the plane mode but not the battroid mode or gerwalk mode on screen.

Probably just be a plane and nothing more.

YF-24 to VF-25

Possible.

Macross Galaxy

Still can't make head or tails where the NMC is. I'm starting to think this is the biggest Macross there is. If the people behind Galaxy are from the Global they may also have adopted the whole SDF Macross concept on it.

Might not even have a New Macross-class.

Probably it's only a plane. Even Aquarion got a plane similar to the VF-4 (a shame that it was unnamed).

It does have almost identical transformation, so yes.

Considering real life circumstances, designing a transforming mecha takes more time than a simple mecha, so having basically the same VF with cosmetic changes to make it look a bit different saves time. Internal justifications start from here.

I must say that Galaxy's design slightly reminds me of preproduction SDF-1's sketches. This is probably intentional, since after all even the Macross Quarter was a mixture of Macross 7 and SDF-1 (having unjustified shoulder towers in Storm Attacker mode).

The SDF-1 was always designed as a transformable ship even in preproduction designs, so maybe even the Galaxy can transform.

megaroadgz1.th.jpg

Here's a pic to explain my points. To the sides of the bridge of the Megaroad there are box-like things that becomes arms. Galaxy has similar things attached to the sides. Galaxy also appears to have something which looks like a leg below, pointing forward, twisted so that the point of the foot points downward. There seems to be another leg pointing backward, if those yellow flattened spheres are indeed some kind of joint. Galaxy doesn't have the splitting Macross Cannon designs, which belongs to first generation Macross only, but there seems to be a joint below so that perhaps it folds and come out on the back.

We'll wait and see.

FV

Most likely. Check out the central torso in battroid mode (compared with the VF-25.) Though, in the VF flow chart in Great Mechanics DX4, there was a question mark after the SV-51. So, me be thinking that in universe it will be based off the Sv-51, but in reality, the transformation is based off the VF-25 (this is presuming that the VF-25 was designed first.)

Mahq.net

VF-25F

VF-25S

VF-27

vf-25s-battroid.jpg

vf-25f-battroid.jpg

vf-27-battroid.jpg

Looking at it closely it seems the VF-25 and VF-27 are sister designs. Using the same internal parts.

Which reminds me how the VF-14 Nightmare design was converted into the Fz-109A Elgerzorene by the Protodevlin.

Making the VF-27 sort of a true enemy Valkyrie for the VF-25.

Since Grace had a LAI dimension eater I'm presuming that LAI has divisions on both Frontier and Galaxy.

Both divisions took the YF-24's design aspects and made them into their own fighter designs.

LAI Frontier made the VF-25 as a simple all around operations fighter with several variants.

With compatible super packs and armor packs.

LAI Galaxy on the otherhand made the VF-27 a special stealth operations fighter along the lines of the VF-22.

Galaxy Anonymous initially rated the VF-25 as merely a grunt VF using regular Ex-gear interface while the VF-27 they have is aces caliber using direct brain control with implants and cybernetics.

They forgot that it isn't the machine that makes the difference but the pilot. SMS has elite level pilots.

I thought it was stated somewhere in an earlier episode or in a Kawamori interview that all designs after the YF-24 adapted its transformation process for use since it was so efficient, or something to that effect.

I thought it was stated somewhere in an earlier episode or in a Kawamori interview that all designs after the YF-24 adapted its transformation process for use since it was so efficient, or something to that effect.

I don't recall that. It's been said that the VF-25 features a efficient transforming design, but that was mentioned back in the VF-25 Naming Contest. I'm not sure how canon you want to take that since I have yet to see that mentioned outside the Naming Contest.

The VF-14 is called Vampire, at least the version in the Dreamcast M3 game (which is canon). The version shown in M7 is different.

Graham

I never get tired of posting images of this VF... I like its design a lot, hehe... ^_^

post-7862-1216702522_thumb.jpg

post-7862-1216702570_thumb.gif

post-7862-1216702798_thumb.gif

post-7862-1216702886_thumb.gif

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I never get tired of posting images of this VF... I like its design a lot, hehe... ^_^

Must be a personal taste. It isn't bad but it doesn't get me like some other designs.

It also has very small hands....