Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread II *Read 1st Post*

actually, this is an interesting concept you have there. a relation between the dimension eater and the fold dislocations is likely given the amount of discussion the fold dislocations have been getting. so the dimension eater not only destroys, it literally takes it away, or eats the dimension it is in, rendering it a null or anti-matter part of the galaxy where a fold cannot take place. hence, the name.

given that LAI has been researching extensively on the nature of the fold dislocation, and that they had finally developed fold technology that can go around it, it would also follow that they would have developed a weapon based on the very fold dislocation phenomenon that they were studying.

Not surprising really considering fold travel seemed pretty harmless since the 1st TV series. But now we are introduced to Fold Faults/Fold Dislocations that apparently still can be crossed but takes longer time to fold through them over long distances. (as opposed to WH40ks warpstorms that generally blocks the area from being reached in normal or warp space)

And based on ep 7, it would seem normally you can't unfold into normal space through a fold dislocation like the Vajra cruiser did. I have the impression that ships can move around a fold dislocation normally in normal space though since they are more or less invisible to the naked eye.

Not surprising really considering fold travel seemed pretty harmless since the 1st TV series. But now we are introduced to Fold Faults/Fold Dislocations that apparently still can be crossed but takes longer time to fold through them over long distances. (as opposed to WH40ks warpstorms that generally blocks the area from being reached in normal or warp space)

And based on ep 7, it would seem normally you can't unfold into normal space through a fold dislocation like the Vajra cruiser did. I have the impression that ships can move around a fold dislocation normally in normal space though since they are more or less invisible to the naked eye.

On the last page I posted a big theory about the Dimension Eater designed to make Fold Faults and then LAI sells everyone their new fold booster which can go through fold faults but apparently no one liked it because it went unnoticed in two threads, heheh. Maybe it was too big, I did talk a lot.

I am working on a theory with Fold Faults and the time dilation we have seen in all Macross series that occurs during folding, but I will post it in a separate thread when I have it written up (meaning when I get around to it).

I'm more curious in how the Vajra could breed and operate their capital ships. Is there a female Vajra captain in those ships accompanied by several bridge Vajra's? :huh:

On the last page I posted a big theory about the Dimension Eater designed to make Fold Faults and then LAI sells everyone their new fold booster which can go through fold faults but apparently no one liked it because it went unnoticed in two threads, heheh. Maybe it was too big, I did talk a lot.

I am working on a theory with Fold Faults and the time dilation we have seen in all Macross series that occurs during folding, but I will post it in a separate thread when I have it written up (meaning when I get around to it).

I noticed it but i didn't reply to it. :p

I don't think dimension eater creates fold faults....i may be wrong though.

And i dun think there was any time dilation in Macross? It seems everything was relative time even in fold-space.

I'm more curious in how the Vajra could breed and operate their capital ships. Is there a female Vajra captain in those ships accompanied by several bridge Vajra's? :huh:

Like I mentioned already in other threads... The Vajra carriers may be other Vajra that evolved into that specialized phenotype... The shape of their hulls look a lot like the heads of the Large Red Vajras...

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Great Mechanics DX5 has a 10 page article on the VF-25. Here are the scans.

Included on page 9 is some black and white lineart of both the single seat and dual seat cockpit, which I've been dying for lineart of.

P.S. Hopefully, somebody can translate the article in full.

-The text on the G-version seems to indicate that the head camera has better optical performance.

-The sniper gunpod uses conventional shells which then get a boast in acceleration via the electromagnetic rails (I think that's what it says).

-The text on the G-version seems to indicate that the head camera has better optical performance.

-The sniper gunpod uses conventional shells which then get a boast in acceleration via the electromagnetic rails (I think that's what it says).

On page 9, where they show the lineart for the cockpit, they show some panels alongside the pilots seat. Would these be the display monitors they use while in battroid mode?

Also, is it just me, or (based on the position of the protrusions on top of the head in both modes) do the heads of the VF-25F and RVF-25 still rotate 180' to face forward in battroid mode?

Edited by d3v

Also, is it just me, or (based on the position of the protrusions on top of the head in both modes) does the V-25Fs head still rotate 180' to face forward in battroid mode?

Actually, if you frame through the opening, the F-head does appear to rotate.

Actually, if you frame through the opening, the F-head does appear to rotate.

I'll check once I get home. However what I wanna know is whether or not this applies to the other variants as well other than the F and RVF variants (I'm pretty confident that the S-head doesn't, however there's not shot of the dorsal area of the VF-25G so that one is still a mystery).

On a related topic, I noticed that in some shots, the F in fighter mode is missing the colours for the the head.

Also here's a link to Graham's post so people will know what we're talking about.

Edited by d3v

Is the dimension eater the single most powerful weapon seen in Macross?? (not counting fleets of ships, etc....)

I think it must be pretty close.

Taksraven

I'd say the single most powerful weapon seen in Macross were the Protodevlin. Capable of wiping out entire fleets and we've seen one destroy an entire planet (and take out another protodevlin).

For non-bio weapons, yeah, I'd pretty much agree that the dimension eater is probably the most powerful single weapon we've seen.

I'd say the single most powerful weapon seen in Macross were the Protodevlin. Capable of wiping out entire fleets and we've seen one destroy an entire planet (and take out another protodevlin).

But since the Protodeviln were defeated by Basara, does that mean that were he weaponized, Basara would be the most powerful weapon in the Galaxy? :ph34r:

Edited by d3v

For non-bio weapons, yeah, I'd pretty much agree that the dimension eater is probably the most powerful single weapon we've seen.

I completely agree... And the Dimension Eater's field didn't seem that fast to me... The whole Vajra fleet escaped... <_<

But since the Protodeviln were defeated by Basara, does that mean that were he weaponized, Basara would be the most powerful weapon in the Galaxy? :ph34r:

And that's the reason why Basara is banned by MW armistice treaty :lol:

Makes me wonder how Agent One react on this ^_^

After watching the Vajra designs shown so far... Specially the hive, the Queen and the Large and Small Vajra I've come to the conclusion that the Vajra are somehow related to plants more than bugs...

I have been thinking this since the first time I watched some of Junya Ishikagi early designs of the Vajra...

The colors of the different units also make me think of flowers. The red Large Vajra has many features in its phenotype that remind me of rose flowers (red and green), while the hive and the queen had lots of green.

Perhaps this is an indication that the Vajra were originally conceived as a terraforming species? Galia 4 seemed to have lost of vegetation and plants near the Vajra hive. The SDF-4 Global was covered on plants that came from the main hive. In fact, the hive seemed to be formed of vegetal structures...

This could fit well with Kawamori's ecological ideas also...

post-7862-1215597727_thumb.jpg

post-7862-1215597744_thumb.jpg

post-7862-1215597825_thumb.jpg

post-7862-1215597899_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

After watching the Vajra designs shown so far... Specially the hive, the Queen and the Large and Small Vajra I've come to the conclusion that the Vajra are somehow related to plants more than bugs...

I have been thinking this since the first time I watched some of Junya Ishikagi early designs of the Vajra...

The colors of the different units also make me think of flowers. The red Large Vajra has many features in its phenotype that remind me of rose flowers (red and green), while the hive and the queen had lots of green.

Perhaps this is an indication that the Vajra were originally conceived as a terraforming species? Galia 4 seemed to have lost of vegetation and plants near the Vajra hive. The SDF-4 Global was covered on plants that came from the main hive. In fact, the hive seemed to be formed of vegetal structures...

This could fit well with Kawamori's ecological ideas also...

Plants release spores not eggs. Vajra is analogous to a Bee colony, with a Queen to lay egg, a worker caste (whatever kidnaps Ranka) and warrior caste (red lobster?).

About the SDF-4 covered in plants....well...almost everything that sit on a lake in a middle of a jungle will be covered by plants after a few years ^_^

Plants release spores not eggs. Vajra is analogous to a Bee colony, with a Queen to lay egg, a worker caste (whatever kidnaps Ranka) and warrior caste (red lobster?).

About the SDF-4 covered in plants....well...almost everything that sit on a lake in a middle of a jungle will be covered by plants after a few years ^_^

I didn't rule their insect origins out. I just said that they had more plant characteristics in their phenotype than bug ones. In fact, I firmly believe that the Hostile Vajra are a mix of different species: part space bug (The one Alto encounters in the Global's lab), part plant and part Birdman (Mao Nome's blood).

I re-watched the episode and noticed that the roots and the vegetation covering the SDF-4 came from the hive, which had many structures that seemed like plants. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vajra turn out to be good in the end... The Queen could have been enraged at the destruction of Galia 4's vegetation when the "Dimension Eater" went boom... :ph34r:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Witht the FAST Packs comes an additional headshield.

FV

I was considering that explanation, however its also coloured that way without the packs.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's purposely done that way to make it look like an animation error and maybe make it feel like traditional animation.

Edited by d3v

The early CG art of the VF-25F fighter and gerwalk modes published online and in the hobby magazines showed the VF-25F without the red and black stripes on the top of the head, just a plain white head top.

I'll have to rewatch eps 1 & 2 and the Deculture ep, again to see if I'm right, but I think when Gilliam had the VF-25F, it had a plain white head top. If my theory is correct, it wasn't repainted with the red and black head stripes until Alto joined SMS and started flying it.

Graham

The early CG art of the VF-25F fighter and gerwalk modes published online and in the hobby magazines showed the VF-25F without the red and black stripes on the top of the head, just a plain white head top.

I'll have to rewatch eps 1 & 2 and the Deculture ep, again to see if I'm right, but I think when Gilliam had the VF-25F, it had a plain white head top. If my theory is correct, it wasn't repainted with the red and black head stripes until Alto joined SMS and started flying it.

Graham

Checked them out myself and yes, Gilliam's VF-25F didn't have the paint on the head. However, in some of the later episodes (4, 7 and 9) they also show Alto's Vf-25 without the paint on the head. I've a feeling they meant for Gilliam's not to have the paint, but ended up using the model with Gilliam's white head paint scheme in some scenes for Alto. It's weird though, the whitehead usually pops up in scenes where the VF-25 is coming up the elevator, yet they have a similar shot of the plane, with head paint in the intro.

Another thing, it also seems to indicate that they use separate models when animating the different modes which they then edit together to make it seem like a single plane transforming.

EDIT:

Just realized that this discussion probably belongs in this thread.

Edited by d3v

Now THAT is awesome information. Thank you azrael!

Do you have LAI's phone number ? :ph34r:

Absolutely. In fact, I'd love to send you a catalogue. Just provide me with a credit card number and we'll get you setup right away B)):wacko:

Vajra is analogous to a Bee colony, with a Queen to lay egg, a worker caste (whatever kidnaps Ranka) and warrior caste (red lobster?).

You're thinking ants, not bees. Honey Bees (the social structure most people think of when talking of bees) just have queens, and workers. There are no warriors. They do have males (drones) who don't do much of anything.

Ant species often have different castes however. With some dedicated more to "soldiering" than working.

Although now that I thing about it...termites might be a better analogy.

Oh well, back to your usual Macross tech talk.

You're thinking ants, not bees. Honey Bees (the social structure most people think of when talking of bees) just have queens, and workers. There are no warriors. They do have males (drones) who don't do much of anything.

Ant species often have different castes however. With some dedicated more to "soldiering" than working.

Although now that I thing about it...termites might be a better analogy.

Oh well, back to your usual Macross tech talk.

Hehehe... All those comments just reminded me of ALIENS... ^_^

(Btw, I completely agree on this...)

Did anybody else noticed that all PPB systems in Episode 14 had a green energy field? Does this mean that the VF-25 knife and the VF-27 blade have both PPBs? The VF-171 also displayed one...

post-7862-1215754159_thumb.jpg

post-7862-1215754195_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

After seeing episode 14 I noticed that Alto's Valk still has it's tailplanes when equiped with the Armored Pack, I wonder why Ozma's Valk doesn't have them. Speaking of which, are the ones on Ozma's Valk simply retracted or something or removed altogether when it has the Armored Pack equiped?

~Bowen

After seeing episode 14 I noticed that Alto's Valk still has it's tailplanes when equiped with the Armored Pack, I wonder why Ozma's Valk doesn't have them. Speaking of which, are the ones on Ozma's Valk simply retracted or something or removed altogether when it has the Armored Pack equiped?

~Bowen

I think his armored valk is different from Ozma's. The backpack doesn't have the laser cannons if i recall correctly.

Now that I think about it, what the hell is the VB-6 Koenig Monster supposed to do if the pilot wants to fire the cannons in gerwalk mode while in space? I mean what if there's no frigate or other large ship for it to stand and brace itself on? Does the pilot fire anyway and go spinning and flipping around from the recoil?

Now that I think about it, what the hell is the VB-6 Koenig Monster supposed to do if the pilot wants to fire the cannons in gerwalk mode while in space? I mean what if there's no frigate or other large ship for it to stand and brace itself on? Does the pilot fire anyway and go spinning and flipping around from the recoil?

I would love seeing that happen :lol:

I think his armored valk is different from Ozma's. The backpack doesn't have the laser cannons if i recall correctly.
Which laser cannons are you talking about? I'm sorry, but with the Armored Pack, it's loaded with weapons, so could you be a little bit more specific?

Also, as for Ozma's armored Valk, do the tailplanes somehow retract or fold flat against the rest of the fighter or are they removed all together? I'm kinda curious and I can't find anything about it myself, so does anyone else know?

Thanks in advance,

~Bowen