Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread II *Read 1st Post*

Which laser cannons are you talking about? I'm sorry, but with the Armored Pack, it's loaded with weapons, so could you be a little bit more specific?

Also, as for Ozma's armored Valk, do the tailplanes somehow retract or fold flat against the rest of the fighter or are they removed all together? I'm kinda curious and I can't find anything about it myself, so does anyone else know?

Thanks in advance,

~Bowen

The wing FAST pack for the armored variant have beam cannon in ball turret along with another set of missile launchers.

Yes, but the VF-25F with Armored Pack also has those, so I wasn't sure if Wolfx was refering to those :)

My bad. Yes those were the beam cannons i was talking about and yes they are there.

:wacko:

I think his armored valk is different from Ozma's. The backpack doesn't have the laser cannons if i recall correctly.

Alto's VF-25 has those backpacks with lasers & thrusters as well. He just ejected it when he went inside the VAJRA mothership. B))

Alto heading towards Vajra Mothership:

http://img.muri.se:8080/Macross/Macross%20...0Large%2027.jpg

Alto inside Vajra Mothership:

http://img.muri.se:8080/Macross/Macross%20...0Large%2034.jpg

ALSO....In the two pics above note that the radar thingy on the Armored Pack rotates 90 degress in Battroid Mode and that the Box Launchers in the legs are ejectable as well. Encircled in pic below:

http://i37.tinypic.com/vicm69.jpg

Edited by grss1982

After seeing episode 14 I noticed that Alto's Valk still has it's tailplanes when equiped with the Armored Pack, I wonder why Ozma's Valk doesn't have them. Speaking of which, are the ones on Ozma's Valk simply retracted or something or removed altogether when it has the Armored Pack equiped?

~Bowen

I went back to episodes 1 and 2 and found these two shots that show the vertical stabilizers are still there, just folded down and not removed.

post-8467-1215786440_thumb.jpg

post-8467-1215786455_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Hobbes221 :)

I wonder why Ozma has them folded down and Alto doens't though...

As to why Ozma has them folded down and Alto doesn't it could have something to do with that radar on the top of the 25s (if that's what it is). Ozma could have the radar on and the vertical stabilizers would fold down giving the radar a clearer line of sight and Alto just is not using the radar.

Im glad that with this VF-25 fast pack armor you can do alot of things.

IT can wait for you in orbit and doesnt require a crew to reequip it.

Fold boosters can be reused also.

Jettison parts that you used/damaged and not have to jettison the whole armor package.

Still have full weapons layout and Reaction warheads. Four huge ones at that.

VF-171 showed out this episode...Got some nice nasty kills too....

Transformed with its reaction warheads equipped too.......Sign of good things to come i take it? :rolleyes:

One more thing....SMS is the only one who uses the VF-25 for right now....Who is paying the bill everytime one of those bad boys gets turned into Slag metal?

Anyone think that Ranka was going to be used as a pilot in the Vajra mothership like the way Sara Nome was used by the APHOS in Macross Zero? Both were contained in an egg shaped container that was transparent green and filled with liquid. Both were communicated with: Sara by the APHOS, Ranka by the Queen or ship. And, both were able to see things displayed from inside: Sara able to see Kaduns, Ranka able to see the Frontier Fleet battle.

The similarities popped into my head after taking a peak at Macross Zero episode 5 again. More protoculture technology perhaps?

One thing the VF-171 has over the VF-17 is the Gerwalk mode, now the arms are fully used like every other VF gerwalk mode and it now can use the gun pod in this mode. The VF-17 Gerwalk mode was an after thought.

post-8717-1215815125_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chief Guld Goa Bowman

One thing the VF-171 has over the VF-17 is the Gerwalk mode, now the arms are fully used like every other VF gerwalk mode and it now can use the gun pod in this mode. The VF-17 Gerwalk mode was an after thought.

Though not animated in Macross 7, the VF-17 can do that too. Its just a intermediary mode just like VF-1s' handless gerwalk. VF-17 was shown to have its hands out in VF-X games instead of just using the elbow cannons.

Hey if that is the gun pod of the VF-171 on left of your pic, if so then does the 171 have a new gun because the VF-17 is listed as having a seven barreled gatling and that one looks like eight to me. One the note of gun pods I always want to know the number of round each type can carry, if we assume that the gun is a 30mm I would guess that the pods would only have room for about 400-450 rounds each.

Wolfx is correct that the VF-17 is capable of going into a standard gerwalk mode where the hands are useable, seen in Macross Digital Mission VFX and Macross VFX2. To be honest I've always hated the M7 VF-17 gerwalk with the arms swept back and the elbow lasers pointing forwards.

Hobbes, I'd guess that the VF-171 gunpod is an upgrade as it looks very similar, but doesn't appear to have the forward grip on the left side of the frame.

ChronoReverse, you are correct that the 17s go into gerwalk mode in the OP of M7.

The question on my mind is whether or not the VF-171 is slimmer than the VF-17, or if this is simply the HFH's* way of admitting that "yeah, the M7 designs were unrealistically thick."

*Hory Froating Head

Our own grebo guru once created an excellent arms-forward GERWALK picture for the VF-17 Nightmare. I direct your eager eyes to exhibit A:

:)

The VF-17 Gerwalk mode should have been like that more often in Macross 7 and did some research in Mac 7 Vids and found that the 17s arm were fully extended in episode 27 when Lt. Gamlin caught Mylene from falling, and the half way mode just looks ugly.

It's probably a bit of both the realities of CGI requiring the VF-171 be slimmed down AND a little concession that the line art was fudged to make the original VF-17 look like the "heavy battroid" that it was supposed to be :)

If it's any indication, the old, original VF-17 fighter schematic always appeared much thinner than the Battroid line art.

The VF-17 Gerwalk mode should have been like that more often in Macross 7 and did some research in Mac 7 Vids and found that the 17s arm were fully extended in episode 27 when Lt. Gamlin caught Mylene from falling, and the half way mode just looks ugly.

Hey, good catch! I remember that now as well. Yes, the VF-17 GERWALK always did look ugly. But then again, I haven't been much a fan of any of the GERWALK modes post-VF-1 Valkyrie. Well, until the VF-25 Messiah that is, which has made me appreciate that mode again :)

Edited by Mr March

Hey, good catch! I remember that now as well. Yes, the VF-17 GERWALK always did look ugly. But then again, I haven't been much a fan of any of the GERWALK modes post-VF-1 Valkyrie. Well, until the VF-25 Messiah that is, which has made me appreciate that mode again :)

Agreed, some gerwalk modes make me ask why? but the VF-1 never did, and I just can't find much to not like about the Messiah except maybe the lack of internal missiles... but I can live with that because it allows it to maintain it's sexy figure.

*waits for people to state at him oddly*

It's probably a bit of both the realities of CGI requiring the VF-171 be slimmed down AND a little concession that the line art was fudged to make the original VF-17 look like the "heavy battroid" that it was supposed to be :)

If it's any indication, the old, original VF-17 fighter schematic always appeared much thinner than the Battroid line art.

So you're a FAN of the VF-25's Gerwalk Mode, eh? ^_^

Well then here's a pic just for you: :ph34r:

28vw2f4.jpg

Agreed, some gerwalk modes make me ask why? but the VF-1 never did, and I just can't find much to not like about the Messiah except maybe the lack of internal missiles... but I can live with that because it allows it to maintain it's sexy figure.

*waits for people to state at him oddly*

ME = :huh: @ Master Dex's comments.

Edited by grss1982

I went back to episodes 1 and 2 and found these two shots that show the vertical stabilizers are still there, just folded down and not removed.

They fold OUTwards--that's interesting. Just about every valk that ever had a tailfin fold down, folded it inwards. :)

(VF-1, VF-0, VF-4, -19, -21---any others? VF-9 maybe)

PS--found this on another thread--earlier, Alto has the fins folded down with the armor, as seen here: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=55619

Presumably one way is an animation error, but which way? Maybe Ozma's supposed to have them raised, too, and they're only lowered for taxiing, etc.

You know what the main difference is? Look very carefully at the nose, they put a Flanker type nose on the VF-17I

They fold OUTwards--that's interesting. Just about every valk that ever had a tailfin fold down, folded it inwards. :)

(VF-1, VF-0, VF-4, -19, -21---any others? VF-9 maybe)

PS--found this on another thread--earlier, Alto has the fins folded down with the armor, as seen here: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=55619

Presumably one way is an animation error, but which way? Maybe Ozma's supposed to have them raised, too, and they're only lowered for taxiing, etc.

It really doesn't matter in the end as the armor pack was designed to be most commonly used for space where the the stabilizers being up or down wouldn't make a difference.

So you're a FAN of the VF-25's Gerwalk Mode, eh? ^_^

Well then here's a pic just for you: :ph34r:

ME = :huh: @ Master Dex's comments.

I've got a good screen cap of Alto's armor gerwalk, after he lost the boosters but it still looks nice. I need to upload it before I can show it though but March will probably like it. As for the odd stare when you think like an engineer as I do you can easily see machines (especially jets) as sexy.

Edited by Master Dex

You know what the main difference is? Look very carefully at the nose, they put a Flanker type nose on the VF-17I

Longer nose, plus bigger wings and a revised set of intakes.

Also, the head in battroid mode seems to be quite similar to the VF-17Ds head with some modifications and there's a slot in the inside of the legs that may be the port for the gunpod.

BTW,,,,,,Is it just me or are nukes getting bigger and bigger? :ph34r:

http://i36.tinypic.com/o1qwh.png

I thought that by the time of Frontier we would already be seeing smaller nukes.

ALSO I just realized that someone mentioned before in the Episode 13 or was that Epissode 12 Thread that he wanted tosee the Zentraedi use those nukes they acquired against the Vajra. Looks like that person got a part of his wish, but the difference is that miclone pilots were the ones who were using nukes against the Vajra.

Edited by grss1982

I wouldn't be surprised if Reaction Warhead technology and delivery has advanced just like everything else. The warheads could even be more destructive in a smaller package while as David has pointed out, the rocket itself could have been enlarged with more powerful propulsion.

grss1982

I love that scene. Great GERWALK shot. It looks so butt kicking :)

kalvasflam

Welcome to last year :)

Just kidding. But seriously, I did notice that immediately. Occupational hazard of owning a mecha fan site. Actually, the big VF-171 differences I noticed were in the transformation to Battroid mode. The forward tip of the nose in battroid mode folds rearward and I also noticed the guns on either side of the cockpit are recessed more in all modes and the upper torso center section extends a little further out to accommodate the longer nose.

Armored Gerwalk. We haven't seen that since the sketches of the VF-1 Armored Gerwalk. And the VF-25 is transformable with Armor Packs! WOOT! :D

Gah i wished since yonks ago that someone make a VF-AG. :(

Sigh.....and fulcy's project is never gonna get finished.