Macross Frontier and Fansubs

Duke Togo

Actually, it's not too hard for you to reencode for your PS3, if the file is hardsubbed. With a little investigation, you could probably take another group's work and make it compatible for your PS3. I can give you tips and etc for it as well.

Appreciated, but that'd make it too easy dash my plans of being functionally illiterate in Japanese in the near future. ^_^

At the moment between my guilty latin pop music pleasure and all the anime I've been watching the world is kind of looking like this tho... ¡¿¡マクロス!?!

I think I know how to do it in Quicktime Pro, regardless...

Just letting you guys know I'm dropping the show.

Got a couple of things going on soon (Encoder/typesetter going on Vacation and I'll be moving to Japan for work in a month or so) that sticks in the way of providing the show on a timely manner and would probably back us up for a good while. So best to nip it in the bud now considering the show was on a two week break. There's viable alternatives and it seems most folks prefer them anyway so no big deal.

Sorry to hear that Shouta. :( I had really rooted for you and your crew going all the way. ;)

But despite that a million thanks for all hard work in bringing to us Macross Frontier. We really appreciate it. :)

Just letting you guys know I'm dropping the show.

Got a couple of things going on soon (Encoder/typesetter going on Vacation and I'll be moving to Japan for work in a month or so) that sticks in the way of providing the show on a timely manner and would probably back us up for a good while. So best to nip it in the bud now considering the show was on a two week break. There's viable alternatives and it seems most folks prefer them anyway so no big deal.

Great. Wonderful.

Now the closest thing to an alternative is Shinsen Subs... With thier much inferier video quality and bigger filesizes(gotta love that combination, gotta love it), erratic release schedule that sometimes just plain takes forever, and translation that errs on the side of being too literal, to the point that the English suffers, sometimes alot. No disrespect to Shinsen. They gave me my cherished Deculture Edition. But they just don't fill the same niche as AIA IZ.

I think it would've been better if AIA IZ kept plugging away at Mac F even if they couldn't deliver on a timely manner and got backlogged, then to have the niche they were filling entirely dry up and die. I'm willing to bet at least a decent number of the 7000 people who downloaded the last episode would agree with me, too.

This all around sucks. I'll have to cross my fingers and pray Shinsen never gives it up, 'cause if they do, then I probably can't follow Macross Frontier anymore(because after them, Chihiro's the only one with reasonable filesizes, and I hear their translation is a bit too liberal and chocked full 'o English slang... I don't want to spend 14 hours every week downloading something 'iffy').

Chihiro's the only one with reasonable filesizes, and I hear their translation is a bit too liberal and chocked full 'o English slang... I don't want to spend 14 hours every week downloading something 'iffy').

I think Chihiro is the best fit for me of those that are left. I've even had some luck converting their MKV to MP4 at full HD rez - I just can't ge the subtitle file to carry over.

Here's a comparison among some of the groups using half of episode nine. Sadly, Shinsen's not among them. Pretty informative.

http://yesy-fansubs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1591

More discussion here:

http://www.anime-planet.com/forum/fansub-q...s-frontier.html

Shinsen and GG just caught up.

Just a correction, but we (gg) always release within ~10hrs of Frontier airing on TBS.

Here's a comparison among some of the groups using half of episode nine. Sadly, Shinsen's not among them. Pretty informative.

Concerning this comparison, some of the points leveled against our translation are fair - however, ep 9 was the only episode that we did not use Closed Captions for translation because of an unforeseen capping error, and the translator for the first half of the ep made a few mistakes. We apologize for that. I can assure you every other episode we've released has no mishearings and probably no outright errors (though I'm of course prejudiced, being one of the translators).

Edited by creamyhorror

Just a correction, but we (gg) always release within ~10hrs of Frontier airing on MBS.

Ah. I just posted it as such given the thread discussion at the time.

Concerning this comparison, some of the points leveled against our translation are fair - however, ep 9 was the only episode that we did not use Closed Captions for translation because of an unforeseen capping error, and the translator for the first half of the ep made a few mistakes. We apologize for that. I can assure you every other episode we've released has no mishearings and probably no outright errors (though I'm of course prejudiced, being one of the translators).

Thanks for the input. Comparisons like these are always helpful, especially with so many choices. It's nice to hear from the translators themselves. Especially one's willing to admit bias and mistakes. ^_^

I'll give GG's version a look if I can, though I try to stay faithful to one group unless proven the need to be otherwise. Speed means little to me.

Heck, I watch your version of Code Geass unless the PC I'm on decides it won't handle it.:lol: Fortunately, in such cases, Eclipse does a good job as well.

This all around sucks. I'll have to cross my fingers and pray Shinsen never gives it up, 'cause if they do, then I probably can't follow Macross Frontier anymore(because after them, Chihiro's the only one with reasonable filesizes, and I hear their translation is a bit too liberal and chocked full 'o English slang... I don't want to spend 14 hours every week downloading something 'iffy').

The filesize difference between Chihiro, GG and Lunar are practically the same. Lunar's is a mere 10 megs bigger on low-res, and only about 50 megs on high, a tad steep, but nothing outrageous. GG is comparable to Shinsen in size, at least until episode 11. Of them, it looks like GG or Lunar are the better choices over Chihiro (nothing against them personally, just going on what I've seen those in the know say.).

Though if it's one thing to say about Shinsen, they usually always stick fast. So I wouldn't worry. Though it'd be nice if they put out a Deculture v2 with Ranka's name spelled correctly (Nitpick, I know ^_^).

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Geez don't want much for nothing do ya <_<

Shinsen actually got added to the comparison...

9 is one of my favorite episodes thus far, but probably one of the most hard to understand from what I watched. The scene with pixie squadron, especially was confusing to me across the board.

Question though, about the Inkouzai laws; I saw it translated as lewdness, child abuse... would 'statutory rape' be a valid comparison or is it a harsher charge?

So sad to see AiA gone. -_-

Who are you guys going with?

These three have already released #11

[ ] Chihiro

[ ] GG

[ ] Lunar

Are caught up and releasing #11 soon.

[ ] Shinsen

Edited by UN Spacy

I've watched offerings from them all and apart from a few clangers here and there I think they've all done a pretty good job :lol: A damn site better than I'd ever hope to achieve in the time frame they do it in.

Good work and keep up the effort, it is appreciated (well at least by me anyway B)) ) and as a struggling student of Japanese it is interesting to see how different people translate things, especially a subject I'm interested in (beats the poo out of boring old text books).

I think Chihiro is the best fit for me of those that are left. I've even had some luck converting their MKV to MP4 at full HD rez - I just can't ge the subtitle file to carry over.

I just tried Chihiro. What I'd heard about them was totally wrong, that's for sure. No slang, and if anything, they're even more literal than Shinsen. Definitely not the subs for me(and their filesize was so wonderful, sniff).

BTW, you have to either hardcode the subs or convert them to a format MP4 can handle, like SRT.

The filesize difference between Chihiro, GG and Lunar are practically the same. Lunar's is a mere 10 megs bigger on low-res, and only about 50 megs on high, a tad steep, but nothing outrageous. GG is comparable to Shinsen in size, at least until episode 11. Of them, it looks like GG or Lunar are the better choices over Chihiro (nothing against them personally, just going on what I've seen those in the know say.).

Yeah, I wanted to try GG, but their smallest release of episode 11 is about 300MB and too high-res for my computer to deal with. Lunar, on the other hand, I forgot were even subbing Frontier. Guess I'll give them a shot before crawling back to Shinsen.

More discussion here:

http://www.anime-planet.com/forum/fansub-q...s-frontier.html

Interesting. Some of it is pretty spot on for the stuff I missed (missing the aneki yuzuri for the sniping part) while some of it is odd (with as opposed to alongside? that's a style choice unless it was meant to be antagonistic but I don't recall it.) Not too shabby, if I say so myself, considering I do these episodes by ear.

Would be nice if I had CC scripts for shows that I do but heh, never quite that lucky.

Edited by Shouta

*Snob* So AiA is also out? That's a sad day for me. :(

So with gg, Lunar, Chihiro and Shinsen left, which subs do you guys here recommend for speed sub? gg is kinda too big for me, and well I love Shinsen, they're no speed sub. :p That left Chihiro and Lunar.

I rather liked Lunar myself. Nothing "didn't" make sense if that...makes any sense. ^_^

*Snob* So AiA is also out? That's a sad day for me. :(

So with gg, Lunar, Chihiro and Shinsen left, which subs do you guys here recommend for speed sub? gg is kinda too big for me, and well I love Shinsen, they're no speed sub. :p That left Chihiro and Lunar.

If Chihiro had better editting, their translation never stopped making sense at times, and they subbed the lyrics... Then you'd have Lunar. I really don't see any reason to pick Chihiro over them.

They're still no substitute for AIA IZ, though...

But, whatever. Your mileage may vary.

BTW, you have to either hardcode the subs or convert them to a format MP4 can handle, like SRT.

What I need is something to crack chihiro's MKV and extract the sub file as an SRT. Then I think the converter I'm using can append the SRT to the MP4. Anybody know a free MKV exracter?

UPDATE: I've found a good program on the Mac called MKVTools that does conversion without having to extract and juggle the subs file. If you get the settings right it converts the MKV to an MP4 at full rez with embedded subs. There is a small issue with the size of subs if you have mplayer installed. I've used it to make MP4s of the Chihiro and Gattai subs to play on my PS3. Works quite well and it's free/donation ware.

Edited by DestroidDefender

I just tried Chihiro. What I'd heard about them was totally wrong, that's for sure. No slang, and if anything, they're even more literal than Shinsen. Definitely not the subs for me(and their filesize was so wonderful, sniff).

Yeah, I wanted to try GG, but their smallest release of episode 11 is about 300MB and too high-res for my computer to deal with. Lunar, on the other hand, I forgot were even subbing Frontier. Guess I'll give them a shot before crawling back to Shinsen.

I believe it is Lunar who uses "slang" in its translation. ;) But despite that it doesn't bother me that much thus I'm going with them (AND Shinsen Subs) for now. :lol:

IIRC, when they started subbing MF, Duke Togo mentioned that gg has a tendency to use the "F" word in its translations.

AGAIN, thanks to Shouta and the rest of the AiA-IZ crew for there wonderful subs of MF 1 to 10. We really appreciate the work you guys/gals do in giving us our weekly dose of Macross Frontier. ;)

I believe it is Lunar who uses "slang" in its translation. ;) But despite that it doesn't bother me that much thus I'm going with them (AND Shinsen Subs) for now.

I mostly brushed off Lunar until just recently but aside from the sometimes over the top slang I think they to do a really good job of conveying plot points and relating it to english. Unfortunately, neither my DVD player or PS3 will play their XviD releases.

I think I might have to start being patient and waiting for Lunar and Shinsen myself... 

Edited by stray

I downloaded the [gg] sub for episode 11, and I'm getting a {background} text mixed up with the subs text and I can't read... I'm using VLC players, any ideas!?? sorry about the dumb question, but I'm not really good with this

VLC can't handle anime softsubs properly. Get the Combined Community Codec Pack, developed specifically for fansub playback. It includes two media players you can use, Media Player Classic and Zoom Player.

For those having trouble playing back our release, it's due to the fact that this ep was broadcasted in high-definition (HD), so we switched to 1280x720 resolution accordingly. CoreAVC is the most efficient decoder for H.264 video, so it may help if your computer is struggling (note that it's pay software). If you have it already, you can try disabling deblocking in the CoreAVC options (at a loss of visual quality but significant increase in decoding speed, which will hopefully allow the video to play smoothly).

Our .ASS script is also available at our website, but you'll need to get a raw video that matches (and even then the match may not be exact). We use a TBS raw, the one without sponsor credits after the OP.

Edited by creamyhorror

Like noted in the post above, use MPC. It's a great player. If you need a codec pack, CCCP is good from what I hear. From my experience, K-lite is a great choice too. http://www.codecguide.com It's what I've been using on my many PCs for years, and have never had a problem with it.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Well, Bomb and AiA might be continuing it but it'll be released under just their name. I don't know what's going on with it now so it's up to him. In the mean time, I'll work on my own stuff, Birdy up next week and the current manga projects I have.