Macross Frontier and Fansubs

Duke Togo

I heard that gattai may be doing the blu-ray releases

really awesome.

i can download full blu-ray without compression in a day. with the usenet.

gattai has the best quality so far in term of image quality (except if you run VLC)

my plasma is waiting for it.

i am going to japan for business in 1.5 month time, i will support frontier by buying the real macoy.

i hope to get a VF-25 SMS007 and BIG VARJA, and i will paint it and put in my living room.

Yeah, I don't get it, either. Chihiro just subbed it to annoy gg, and gg's head got so annoyed that he resigned? Is that right? It doesn't make any sense...

Well if you looked at all the leetspeak that they use with all their names and stuff, they don't seem to be professional. Better they get out anyways. :p People who speak like that and use "codenames" annoy me.

If it's true gg has dropped it, what a pity. I thought the Chihiro sub was so poorly done for Episode 9 that after a few minutes I stopped watching and decided to just wait for gg's release.

Edited by Daigoro

that stinks about gattai first and now gg. Who else is putting up the higher res subs like they were?

I've been downloading the higher res to watch on my computer and plan on burning the shinsens to dvd.

Unless there's a way to burn those higher res files to dvd?

Just checked gg's IRC channel and it was a troll apparently.

Should have expected it with them being a 4chan group. But I just don't know. One of the shared bots has Episode 10 subs out anyway. I'm downloading it now to see if it's another troll or what. Still, subber drama and trolling :wacko: What can you do?

Just checked gg's IRC channel and it was a troll apparently.

Should have expected it with them being a 4chan group. But I just don't know. One of the shared bots has Episode 10 subs out anyway. I'm downloading it now to see if it's another troll or what. Still, subber drama and trolling :wacko: What can you do?

its not a troll but the head of gg is still gone...

Edited by Tsuchiro

its not a troll but the head of gg is still gone...

I had to register to clear things up (I'm one of gg's Frontier translators). Our leader isn't gone, any "drama" was manufactured as a joke, and we released Macross a few hours earlier than usual this time. I invite any feedback on translations, if you think we've made mistakes and so forth.

Oh you guys.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that you guys are around and still active (with Gattai gone, you guys filled the right spot) :)

I can't say much about translation errors, but there was a small typo at one point where it said dirctor instead of director. It's not a big deal since I'm not a grammar nazi, but I'm sure one or two spelling fiends are out there, venting their frustrations on their parents or whatever.

I had to register to clear things up (I'm one of gg's Frontier translators). Our leader isn't gone, any "drama" was manufactured as a joke, and we released Macross a few hours earlier than usual this time. I invite any feedback on translations, if you think we've made mistakes and so forth.

This makes much more sense. Thank you. :)

another superb release from shinsen!

also noticed they changed the lyrics to the opening song. flows better now.

about the only thing i found a bit off is bobby shouting "rest in peace" before blowing away the vajra cruiser. could they have meant "rest in pieces"?

oh, another thing, and maybe it's just me, but did anybody else notice the audio to be weaker and a bit flat on the shinsen releases? i had to bring up the volume by more than 5db from my normal settings. can't quite figure out why since the shinsen raws tend to have fuller audio. gattai seems to have had the best audio on subbed releases.

anyway, thanks shinsen! with the break and all, i'm counting on your releases to tide me over :D

Thankfully, we don't get the 'Net drama from [AiA-IZ] and [Lunar].

Thank God for that. :lol:

Since Gattai bugged out, I've been checking out Lunar's work (I usually go with AiA & Shinsen though) and they seem to be okay. The propensity for using slang doesn't bother me as much as I thought. :)

BUT as always to all the groups subbing MF.......Sankyou!!! :wub: We really appreciated the work you do, all "drama" aside. :p

Hmm, I've noticed AiA's stuff comes out a bit darker than the others. Is this the case or are there just some settings I need to fix for the MP4s?

They've been that way. I've mentioned it before and unfortunately it hasn't changed. :p

that stinks about gattai first and now gg. Who else is putting up the higher res subs like they were?

I've been downloading the higher res to watch on my computer and plan on burning the shinsens to dvd.

Unless there's a way to burn those higher res files to dvd?

If you mean 1280x720 then you will have to wait, since Lunar and Shinsen both release in those resolutions, but they just aren't speed subbers.

There is no way to burn the higher res files to DVD as hires files. The DVD format doesn't support it, max res is 720x480 (relatively), however with a hires source file, you will get a better picture quality than if your source was at a lower resolution, as it would be compressed into the max screen res of DVDs.

However you have to watch for overscan which cuts off the ends of the actual picture. Certain authoring programs allow you to adjust that, others like Nero Vision do not....

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a really stupid question to ask here. I've got episodes 1-8 done by Gattai with the .ass files. I have now downloaded the Lunar Anime h264 versions of episodes 9 & 10, but can't find any .ass files associated with them. I play the .mkv in Media Player Classic and I don't get any subs. Are there .ass files for these files as well, or am I doing something wrong? thanks in advance for any help.

Lunar's MKVs have built in subs. Direct Vob Sub should handle them. I don't know about how Gattai did it, since I hear their subs were relatively awful.

Check under "navigate".

I've been sticking with Lunar since switching from AiA (I still can't believe they didn't get the meaning of "Michel" ^_^).

Still haven't seen Shinsen.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

If you mean 1280x720 then you will have to wait, since Lunar and Shinsen both release in those resolutions, but they just aren't speed subbers.

There is no way to burn the higher res files to DVD as hires files. The DVD format doesn't support it, max res is 720x480 (relatively), however with a hires source file, you will get a better picture quality than if your source was at a lower resolution, as it would be compressed into the max screen res of DVDs.

However you have to watch for overscan which cuts off the ends of the actual picture. Certain authoring programs allow you to adjust that, others like Nero Vision do not....

Oh man duh I can't burn the higher res to dvd. LOL.

Thanks for that info. I'll have to check into how to even burn the eps to dvd (never done it before lol) I'm still praying english subs pop up on the BD release (what can I say I have more money than sense but little of either, plus it's good to support the industry).

Lunar's MKVs have built in subs. Direct Vob Sub should handle them. I don't know about how Gattai did it, since I hear their subs were relatively awful.

Check under "navigate".

I've been sticking with Lunar since switching from AiA (I still can't believe they didn't get the meaning of "Michel" ^_^).

Still haven't seen Shinsen.

Thank you! I installed the Direct Vob Sub .dll and it works.

Just letting you guys know I'm dropping the show.

Got a couple of things going on soon (Encoder/typesetter going on Vacation and I'll be moving to Japan for work in a month or so) that sticks in the way of providing the show on a timely manner and would probably back us up for a good while. So best to nip it in the bud now considering the show was on a two week break. There's viable alternatives and it seems most folks prefer them anyway so no big deal.

Just letting you guys know I'm dropping the show.

Got a couple of things going on soon (Encoder/typesetter going on Vacation and I'll be moving to Japan for work in a month or so) that sticks in the way of providing the show on a timely manner and would probably back us up for a good while. So best to nip it in the bud now considering the show was on a two week break. There's viable alternatives and it seems most folks prefer them anyway so no big deal.

My PS3 will miss you... :(

Respect for taking us this far. ^_^

Edited by stray

My PS3 will miss you... :(

Respect for taking us this far. ^_^

Actually, it's not too hard for you to reencode for your PS3, if the file is hardsubbed. With a little investigation, you could probably take another group's work and make it compatible for your PS3. I can give you tips and etc for it as well.