Blu-ray Macross DVDs?

Neova

It would be numbers, not letters.

Blu-ray is letter coded, not number coded. It should be "A" "B" or "C." Out of the few American Blu-ray titles I have, only one mentions the region coding (Pixar's Cars) and it's coded "ABC." I'm guessing all the other ones without any region coding are region free, but since Japan and the US share "A" I'm not too worried, and many of the Chinese Blu-rays are region free anyway.

The Bonus for Macross F Blu-ray and DVD, 1st pressing are: "NyanNyan 50th anniversary goods" whatever that is :)

The M0 Blu-Ray box is suppose to come with audio commentary as well.

• 1 year later...
What do those stand for?

Sorry in advance azrael.

Mods free to move in appropriate discussion room.

I sense no malintent so here goes:

two Macross series already have their Blu-ray Release: Zero and Frontier.

Given the pace of release of anime on Blu-ray in Japan, most if not all will see a BR release in time.

The chances for a western release, hmm...well I give Susan Boyle a better chance to win the Miss Universe pageant...

If you feel brave (and have a strong stomach) you may want to check out the HG and Robotech debate thread for the details of the rights issue around Macross.

One thing I was hoping Blu-ray might do (but hasn't yet) is deliver a load of standard def on a single BD. Imagine the entire SDF series on a single BD50.

Gonna start a new PC build and I'm thinking I'm gonna do TWO BD drives. One BD-ROM and the second a 6x or 8x (if they're out yet) dual layer BD burner. Guess I'ma have to do it myself. All of the LOTR EE's on a single BD and all 6 Star Wars movies on a single BD.

I am glad this topic is here since I am on the fence about getting another version of Macross Frontier (Because the version I got named Sheryl the Space Nympho and the others say Galactic Fairy) due to the parts where Ranka was in the audience the graphics went fuzzy and some pixels "squared" out maybe because of my hdtv or the poor lighting in those scenes and I dont mind kareoke but the subtitles to the songs should have a turn off capability.

I almost accidently bought a burnt copied Blu-ray version of Frontier but I am kind of a person who likes box and disc art too.

Laters

I am glad this topic is here since I am on the fence about getting another version of Macross Frontier (Because the version I got named Sheryl the Space Nympho and the others say Galactic Fairy) due to the parts where Ranka was in the audience the graphics went fuzzy and some pixels "squared" out maybe because of my hdtv or the poor lighting in those scenes and I dont mind kareoke but the subtitles to the songs should have a turn off capability.

I almost accidently bought a burnt copied Blu-ray version of Frontier but I am kind of a person who likes box and disc art too.Laters

I got those. Video quality is really good. But the subs, well very good for the most part have a tendecy to freez then all flash at once on the screen one after the other to fast to read and pause, and read. I played them only on my PS3 so I have no idea if they work on my computer's dvd rom, and am to lazy to fetch them and try. When I do I'll post the results.

Thanks for the info and that would be frustrating if the subs keep freezing and all.But are the "kareoke" subs part of the show? because someone else said that no way to turn off the singing subtitles because it is intergrated into the show.

If the Blu ray corrects that then I might get a set.

It would be nice to see DYRL? remastered on Blu ray.I already got 3 versions of DYRL? and a switch to Blu ray would be nice as long as they don't mess up the sound quality.

Thanks for the info and that would be frustrating if the subs keep freezing and all.But are the "kareoke" subs part of the show? because someone else said that no way to turn off the singing subtitles because it is intergrated into the show.

It would be nice to see DYRL? remastered on Blu ray.I already got 3 versions of DYRL? and a switch to Blu ray would be nice as long as they don't mess up the sound quality.

Not to sound like a total douche, but when you buy bootlegs this is what you get. Dont expect quality control or consistency. Mac F is one of the few series Id recommend going with fansubs, since it will never get licensed outside of Japan and at least that way you arent putting money in the hands of peope who dont deserve it and leech off the industry.

To answer your question, Karaoke subs are never a part of an official anime release. They are usually put there by fansubbers or are sometimes present in Japanese during broadcast versions (although this trend is not so common these days). They are not present on the Japanese blurays which are of awesome quality and highly recommended (keep in mind though that they are pricey and raw).

One thing I was hoping Blu-ray might do (but hasn't yet) is deliver a load of standard def on a single BD. Imagine the entire SDF series on a single BD50.

Gonna start a new PC build and I'm thinking I'm gonna do TWO BD drives. One BD-ROM and the second a 6x or 8x (if they're out yet) dual layer BD burner. Guess I'ma have to do it myself. All of the LOTR EE's on a single BD and all 6 Star Wars movies on a single BD.

Why bother with that? I just wish someone would infect Japan with a little bit of the "re-release" bug that the U.S. has. They need to take all those recent "HD" remasters they did, and slap them on bluray. I'm looking at you DYRL, Plus, Macross TV, & Gundam movies!!

Edited by Keith

They are a little annoying, but overall I feel thay can be looked over. Remind you I already have seen the series fansubed, so I can overlook it. With that blu ray rip set, they do have "kareoke" subs on some episodes. It's kinda a mix bag. Some songs are "kareoked" some are not all in the same episode. Well some episodes all songs are "kareoked", well others non are.

Not to sound like a total douche, but when you buy bootlegs this is what you get. Dont expect quality control or consistency. Mac F is one of the few series Id recommend going with fansubs, since it will never get licensed outside of Japan and at least that way you arent putting money in the hands of peope who dont deserve it and leech off the industry.

Geez what a douche. :p

I already expected low standards with the subs when I made the purchase. But for the most part, they were pretty good. If I had to, I'd buy the again. I also have the whole series fansubbed from Lunar. God, I wish they would release Mac F in the U.S.

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Why bother with that? I just wish someone would infect Japan with a little bit of the "re-release" bug that the U.S. has. They need to take all those recent "HD" remasters they did, and slap them on bluray. I'm looking at you DYRL, Plus, Macross TV, & Gundam movies!!

Let's hope they're reading Macross World Forums then!

Why bother with that?

I hate changing discs!

I just wish someone would infect Japan with a little bit of the "re-release" bug that the U.S. has. They need to take all those recent "HD" remasters they did, and slap them on bluray. I'm looking at you DYRL, Plus, Macross TV, & Gundam movies!!

Indeed.

That's just like, your opinion man. Different compression is only one of the benefits BD offers. The rest is vastly increased storage. Besides, one could theoretically still do mkv and fit a bunch more on there.

• 2 weeks later...

Well. I finally bit the bullet and picked up a used copy of the Deculture Edition of episode one off of Amazon Japan.

The final price ended up around $45 ($25 shipped from an Amazon Japan e-seller + $20 to ship using Tenso). All in all it's still cheaper than ordering brand new from CD Japan. The disc is in pristine condition so I'm pretty pleased with the transaction. At least I'll get to see Frontier in all its 1080p gloriousness on my PS3.

Well. I finally bit the bullet and picked up a used copy of the Deculture Edition of episode one off of Amazon Japan.

The final price ended up around $45 ($25 shipped from an Amazon Japan e-seller + $20 to ship using Tenso). All in all it's still cheaper than ordering brand new from CD Japan. The disc is in pristine condition so I'm pretty pleased with the transaction. At least I'll get to see Frontier in all its 1080p gloriousness on my PS3.

Having the whole series on blu I can tell you - its GORGEOUS. You'll want to watch it over and over. Which is just as well, since that disc has 3 versions of ep 1, lol.

• 4 months later...

I was browsing Macross DVDs on amazon.jp when I noticed that Amazon has blu-ray's of SDF Macross and DYRL! Of course its listed with the text: "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available." But still this is the first and only somewhat official sign I have seen of such a Blu-ray release.

post-11511-127873009603_thumb.png

I was browsing Macross DVDs on amazon.jp when I noticed that Amazon has blu-ray's of SDF Macross and DYRL! Of course its listed with the text: "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available." But still this is the first and only somewhat official sign I have seen of such a Blu-ray release.

That means nothing. It just something amazon does in case there ever is a blu-ray release.

True, however, DYRL could get a BD transfer... B))

"could" being the keyword.

But yes, Roy is right. Amazon has a tendency to add things WAY beyond any announcement of a street date. It's somewhat annoying.

In fact, as a recent example, Amazon had listings for The Pacific DVD and Blu-Ray back in May, while the series was still airing on HBO. Yes, it was expected that the series would get a home video release, but there was no MSRP, release date, or disc release info for the set and it was already listed, copy-pasted from the book release.

Not only does amazon do that regularly, they also take those down regularly--especially when the actual item is announced. I think they even added the Star Wars movies on Blu-ray...a couple of years ago. I'm sure DYRL? will come out on BD eventually. Since this is Japan though, expect to pay a premium for it (and if the TV Series comes out, it will probably make that Regult by Yamato look cheap). DVDs and BDs are WAY too expensive over there. <_<

That means nothing. It just something amazon does in case there ever is a blu-ray release.

That could certainly be the case. Its just something I wanted to point out though.

True, however, DYRL could get a BD transfer... B))

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a BD transfer if and when DYRL is re-released. Bandai Visual's Macross HD DVD revial period started only about 3 years ago in 2007 with the release of the Remastered M7 in October and DYRL in December, so I wouldn't expect them to go for a BD re-release until at least the next big Macross Sequel.

Another things to consider as well. While Macross Frontier sold better on Blu-ray then DVD because it was made for HD quality from the start. Macross Zero, the only case so far of a Macross Bluray re-release is a whole other story. If the Amazon sales rankings and the posted reviews are any accurate indication the original 2001 DVDs of Macross Zero far out-sold the Bluray re-release even to this day: #5,871-5,899 Macross Zero DVDs vs. #18,932 for the Blu-ray Box.

Since this is Japan though, expect to pay a premium for it (and if the TV Series comes out, it will probably make that Regult by Yamato look cheap). DVDs and BDs are WAY too expensive over there. <_<

If anything its precisely this huge expense of the DVDs and BDs in Japan that is probably the biggest obstacles against BD re-releases IMO. Buying new anime like Macross Frontier on Bluray over DVD on release day is a no brainer because its the best version for your money. Blu-ray re-releases however are more like those unnessary and expensive software upgrades. Fans just don't care to buy the same anime a second or perhaps even third time if you count VHS just so that it will look marginally better on the 50 inch+ TV they wish they could fit in their apartment living room.

Maybe the reason Macross Zero on Blu-ray didn't sell as well is because...it's Macross Zero. It wasn't exactly the most popular of the franchise. :p There's also the fact that Macross Frontier wasn't available before that on any format, whereas M0 was. So, when someone goes to get MF for the first time, they have a choice between DVD or BD; many of them probably chose the Blu-ray version. Let's also not forget the price difference between one disc a month versus an expensive box set. If the set wasn't so outrageously priced, I'd have bought one already myself. ;)

Edited by VT 1010