Blu-ray Macross DVDs?

Neova

I honestly think the PS3 is still too expensive and still unjustifiable for me as a BD-player. Part of the reason is that I'm not into playing console-games and the PS3-games themselves are still expensive,

However, it would be so much awesome win if the DYRL-game and any upcoming Frontier-game comes over to the PS3 domestically here in the US. Then and only then will I really put the cash out on purchasing a PS3 right away.

I honestly think the PS3 is still too expensive and still unjustifiable for me as a BD-player. Part of the reason is that I'm not into playing console-games and the PS3-games themselves are still expensive,

However, it would be so much awesome win if the DYRL-game and any upcoming Frontier-game comes over to the PS3 domestically here in the US. Then and only then will I really put the cash out on purchasing a PS3 right away.

Even if they dont release domestically you can still import them and play them on the PS3 with no converter needed.

So it in a way is a good deal if you want to import the movies and games from japan plus have some domestic games you wanna play. I do still think its a tad high (sarcasm). I so far I only have one game for it and I got mine launch day, still waiting for Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII and XIII Versus to make it earn its keep domestic wise. The fact i am importing Zero and all the Frontier Blu-rays also makes it a little more worth it for me but now that I think of it just importing Zero and Vol 1 and 2 of Frontier cost almost as much as my PS3.

GOD I WANT A PS# MACROSS GAME OF ANY MACROSS ERA!!!!! I loved the one on my PS2.

Edited by Sorata

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't get why people are so disappointed to keep hearing the news that Macross Frontier and Macross Zero on Blu-ray won't have English subtitles, and I see the same disappointment with Gundam 00. Why would there be English subtitles on something that hasn't even been licensed in America or had a prior US release? Bandai Visual Japan's BD release strategy doesn't make sense - they threw in the English dub and subtitles on their version of Yukikaze, but they omitted them for their releases of Char's Counterattack and F91, which were released in America years ago. If stuff that has already been in America isn't getting English representation on Japanese releases, why do people expect it for stuff that was never released here? Outside of the original release of FLCL on DVD in Japan years ago, I don't recall there being much of a precedent for unlicensed anime having subtitles in R2.

because the last time something macross got licensed in the U.S. was almost 15 years ago, and it'd be freakin' awesome if we could import legit releases & have them all ready to go with subtitles?

I don't recall there being much of a precedent for unlicensed anime having subtitles in R2.

That's because R2 is just that - R2. Blu-Ray Region A includes both Japan and North America (among others). Conceivably, one could release the exact same disc in both Japan and North America without any changes to the product itself. This means that there is a MUCH higher probability of seeing anime on BD including subs for non-NA releases.

The question becomes, then, is it cost-effective to put subtitles on BDs? Translation, timing, etc takes time, and you have to pay somebody to do all of that. If there isn't a sufficient market to purchase the final product on the basis of including subtitles, then it isn't economically feasible to produce subs.

The real thing is, Bandai is more than happy to stick with the multitude of Gundam series than worry about smaller-market titles like Macross. Bandai is huge - if they cared, it wouldn't take much to effectively eliminate HG stateside in preparation for BV-licensed releases of Macross products.

Bandai is huge - if they cared, it wouldn't take much to effectively eliminate HG stateside in preparation for BV-licensed releases of Macross products.

Which of course is what we're all hoping for...aren't we?

Uh, I mean...except me. HG FOREVER!!!! :p

because the last time something macross got licensed in the U.S. was almost 15 years ago, and it'd be freakin' awesome if we could import legit releases & have them all ready to go with subtitles?

Yeah, that's nice and all, but it doesn't address anything I actually said. The hopes of Macross fans are not the same thing as what we can realistically expect.

Well, the amazon.co.jp page for the MF Blu-Ray discs say nothing about English subs, so I wouldn't hold my breath...

That may be true for now. But the article had an interesting tidbit

From the article -

In his final blog entries as the president of Bandai Visual USA, Tatsunori Konno had explained that the overall Bandai Visual company will be moving towards "simultaneous broadcast & digital distribution in both" Japan and United States. IT Plus goes further to say that this strategic shift will also affect Bandai Visual's offerings in European and Asian countries

Who knows, but until August there could be a chance.

• 1 month later...
Maybe it's just me, but I really don't get why people are so disappointed to keep hearing the news that Macross Frontier and Macross Zero on Blu-ray won't have English subtitles, and I see the same disappointment with Gundam 00. Why would there be English subtitles on something that hasn't even been licensed in America or had a prior US release? Bandai Visual Japan's BD release strategy doesn't make sense - they threw in the English dub and subtitles on their version of Yukikaze, but they omitted them for their releases of Char's Counterattack and F91, which were released in America years ago. If stuff that has already been in America isn't getting English representation on Japanese releases, why do people expect it for stuff that was never released here? Outside of the original release of FLCL on DVD in Japan years ago, I don't recall there being much of a precedent for unlicensed anime having subtitles in R2.

Do any of you techno whizzes know if you can burn bluray discs with bluray equivalents of the sub files? I'm sure it must be possible though I have no knowledge of this ..Just to be clear I mean to burn a copy of the original BD to a blank BD and add a subtitle file tot he blank BD ... Even I know you do not graft a new file onto original BDs!

If so, I'll gladly go buy the jap release Mac F blurays and wait for the subs to come out (eventually)....

Edited by nemesis_trooper

if only japanese version have english subs

i will buy it in an heart beat

hey they should talk to AIA-IZ and just take their fans sub, give them a sack of money, and put in bluray version, it is that easy

but of course they would not do it

the USA version will come eventually

like in 2010

i have zero interest in any dvd of frontier, cause it is meant for HD.

Do any of you techno whizzes know if you can burn bluray discs with bluray equivalents of the sub files? I'm sure it must be possible though I have no knowledge of this ..Just to be clear I mean to burn a copy of the original BD to a blank BD and add a subtitle file tot he blank BD ... Even I know you do not graft a new file onto original BDs!

If so, I'll gladly go buy the jap release Mac F blurays and wait for the subs to come out (eventually)....

This is possible since you can rip and remaster BR discs but most people will end up downloading a BRrip instead, since I doubt many people have BR burners now.

Also, for all that time and effort on your part to buy a R2 disc, rip it, add subs and remaster a BR disc, wouldn't you just rather have Bandai include the subs in the first place and at the same time increase their potential marketshare outside of Japan?

This is possible since you can rip and remaster BR discs but most people will end up downloading a BRrip instead, since I doubt many people have BR burners now.

Also, for all that time and effort on your part to buy a R2 disc, rip it, add subs and remaster a BR disc, wouldn't you just rather have Bandai include the subs in the first place and at the same time increase their potential marketshare outside of Japan?

I hear what you are saying and agree its probably alot of hassle...

But in the vain hope that my (little) money will somehow hit the coffers of the animation team and enable them to make EVEN better and more mecha-goodness for us in the last few episodes, I'm going to just splurge on the BD and OST...the price of being a macross fan :p

Macross geek-tax that you just gotta pay even if it is inconvenient and silly...

Well, the amazon.co.jp page for the MF Blu-Ray discs say nothing about English subs, so I wouldn't hold my breath...

What does the info about the Freedom disc say on amazon jp?

If it's the same, then we simply won't know.

It is possible (total speculation here) that any subs info is being kept quiet so as not to alert HG. Why? I have no idea, since it's an import from the rightful owners and not subject to any infringement of HG's ownership of the US trademark of the name.

The whole trend toward simultaneous worldwide release is something even the hollywood studios are looking at to reduce piracy. With BD including NA with Japan (I see no coincidence there) the anime houses are able to sell directly to the consumer bypassing the licensing groups here. Not good news for ADV and those guys, but an evolution nonetheless...

I suspect that ultimately the US distributors will be doing either dub work for Japanese studios or be relegated to releasing older series that haven't been done yet.

Edited by Zinjo

It's possible, albeit not very easy or cheap.

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/...pid-1010910558/

c1010910558.png

Premiering in April 2008, Macross Frontier is the third television anime series to spin from the popular Macross universe. Produced in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the original series with Kawamori Shoji onboard as supervising director, the series is a mixture of 2-D and 3-D animation from studio Satelight which also animated the Macross Zero OVA. Macross F revolves around stunningly fair-featured pilot-in-training Saotome Alto. The aloof teen is in constant friction with his father who disapproves of his flying. Other than that, galactic teen life on Macross F is as normal as ever, between listening to pop idol Sheryl Nome, competing with friend and rival Mikhail, and fulfilling his duties as a member of the S.M.S. Skull Squadron. Alto is called into action to man the new VF-25 aerospace fighter when alien mecha called Vajira begin attacking the Macross fleet.

Why has this release got English text, is there a possibility of it being subbed?

can't copy the text, can anyone translate?

ALSO -

Bonus extras are included with the initial pressing of this product, only while supplies last (see details).

Whats this mean? Bonuses?

I have shopped here heaps of times before. Expensive, but free shipping and fast.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

The whole trend toward simultaneous worldwide release is something even the hollywood studios are looking at to reduce piracy. With BD including NA with Japan (I see no coincidence there) the anime houses are able to sell directly to the consumer bypassing the licensing groups here. Not good news for ADV and those guys, but an evolution nonetheless...

Nah. I think ADV will still be fine.

By and large, Americans expect their anime releases to be cheaper than the Japanese do (or at least, that was the case the last time I checked a few years ago; this may have changed). Also, little things that one expects on one end of the Pacific may not be present on a release that's handled on the other. There's a reason that Bandai has an American subsidiary that handles all of their releases in North America. Then there are issues related to merchandise warehousing and storage. In short, there are a whole host of issues related to properly selling a product besides simply checking to see whether the sub-titles are in place or not.

I don't think ADV (or any similar company) is in any real danger yet.

Granted most BD releases at the moment are region free from I've been told, just how long before Sony and the other distributaion companies start locking their stuff up since that'll eventually bite into their region sale figures? That's what I'm worried about.

Granted most BD releases at the moment are region free from I've been told, just how long before Sony and the other distributaion companies start locking their stuff up since that'll eventually bite into their region sale figures? That's what I'm worried about.

Region coding for Blu-Ray is a non-issue as far as compatibility between the US and Japan is concerned. Here's a map -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Blu-ray...without_key.svg

As you can see, pretty much the entire Western Hemisphere (with one small exception in South America), as well as Japan, Korea, South-East Asia, and most of the Western Pacific (excepting Australia, New Zealand, and part of New Guinea) are part of Region A.

So we shouldn't have to worry about the region coding.

I'm no expert in this field, but I believe that even if you do somehow mod your PAL PS3 to play Region A discs, you're going to need a TV set capable of displaying an NTSC signal. Or, you're going to need a converter to convert the NTSC signal to PAL. Anyone know for sure?

An NTSC TV may not be needed. Most of the new HDTV standards in different countries should be compatible with each other. Most of the material on Blu-ray is encoded at 1080p24 (that's 24 frames per second). The Blu-ray player will then convert that signal into the kind specified by the player's output settings (like 1080i60 if you use a 1080i HDTV in the US or 1080i50 in the UK). It's really up to the player. HD DVD was region free and importing movies was quite common. In fact, region coding on Blu-ray is optional. There have been a lot of region free releases. I own the Starship Troopers BD from the UK, which is region free, and it works just fine on my unmodified US PS3 and HDTV. As long as the material is encoded at 24fps, then it shouldn't be much of a problem. Furthermore, I have heard that many HDTVs in PAL land can accept 1080i60 signals and properly display them (this isn't the case in the US, though).

yes, but japanese blu ray disk will have no english sub. that is for sure.

actually i play gattai clip on my plasma screen, it is amazing even if compress into very small form.

i wonder how much improvement can blu-ray disk made.

dun know

An NTSC TV may not be needed. Most of the new HDTV standards in different countries should be compatible with each other. Most of the material on Blu-ray is encoded at 1080p24 (that's 24 frames per second). The Blu-ray player will then convert that signal into the kind specified by the player's output settings (like 1080i60 if you use a 1080i HDTV in the US or 1080i50 in the UK). It's really up to the player. HD DVD was region free and importing movies was quite common. In fact, region coding on Blu-ray is optional. There have been a lot of region free releases. I own the Starship Troopers BD from the UK, which is region free, and it works just fine on my unmodified US PS3 and HDTV. As long as the material is encoded at 24fps, then it shouldn't be much of a problem. Furthermore, I have heard that many HDTVs in PAL land can accept 1080i60 signals and properly display them (this isn't the case in the US, though).

Actually that is incorrect. BD has always had region coding, whether the BDA is strictly enforcing it is another matter.

The benefit of any HD (as in BD, since it's the only one left) disc is that NTSC and PAL are no longer issues for worldwide release of movies on HD. No special encoding is really required, thus less time and money will be spent preparing a disc for the Euro market or vice versa, since the HDTVs can accept both sources. The only issue is going to be with the region coding, if applied.

As for Japanese BDs having no subs, Bandai Visual is planning the next "Freedom" BD disc to be released worldwide, with multiple sub tracks. This is the wave of the future for anime releases, kids. Cutting out the middleman and shipping direct to the consumer is how the anime studios will begin to see the profits from the Western Home Video market. ADV can claim online downloads are killing them all they want, but the reality is that the market they helped to grow will leave them behind as the once preyed upon anime studios begin to profit from their own works directly.

Actually that is incorrect. BD has always had region coding, whether the BDA is strictly enforcing it is another matter.

According to my research, it has always been up to the studios whether or not they want to utilize region coding. Unlike DVD, it isn't mandatory (currently, anyway). There have been major studio releases without region coding as well.

• 1 month later...

Does any one know if the Frontier and Zero Blurays will be BD-live enabled?

It does seem unlikely we will get english subtitles when they are released, but BD-Live does offer a faint glimmer of hope in providing subs at a later date. If the studio won't do it, maybe a third party might be able to submit subs to the studio and then the studio makes it available for us to download. :D