Would you like a Macross 7 remake?

dakedo

Would you like a Macross 7 remake?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a Macross 7 remake?

• Hell yes
    • Leave it as it is
    • I dont care

I think Macross 7 has a great background story, but there is just too much comedy in it.

The protodevlins, the evil series story, the varauta army, I think its an overall cool plot, but the sound force and basara singing in all the battles is kind of a turn off. What do you guys think? 6 or 7 OVAs could have this story straight.

Exactly, it is what it is, take it or leave it, just like what I think with the rest of the franchise. Can't wait for the day when people start making threads about remaking Macross Frontier 10 years from now.

My problem with Macross 7 isn't "comedy," it's more a lack of seriousness in the story (similar, but different). I also think the story could have been tightened up a bit. With a somewhat darker tone, 7 would have been a brilliant 26- to 39-episode series.

But remaking it...? I think the ship has sailed on that one. Besides, quite a number of people love it as is. For me, it's not my favorite Macross, but it's not my least favorite, either.

Besides, from all indications, the reamake exists in the form of MacF.

And finally, since Agent 1 is no longer here to bait Keith and get this thread locked, someone has to pick up the slack, so I guess I'll have to be the one to say it...

"Assless chaps."

That is all.

I'd love to see Kawamori's vision of Mac 7, with him as Supervising Director. I suspect the tone would be somewhat darker than the cotton candy it originally was.

When one considers the subject matter and principle villans it could have easily been a darker show.

Edited by Zinjo

Just to spite haters, I hope Basara pops up prominently for a couple episodes of F!

And I'm sure his duet with Sheryl Nomu would turn out just as well as the one with Alice Holiday did...

Actually, you got me thinking...a VF-25 in Fire Valkyrie colors would look pretty interesting.

Me too...

I'd like Basara to show up... and make everyone listen to his songs! Sheryl and Ranka should hide away in shame if this happens ^_^

By the way, to go back on topic, M7 is just marvellous as it is, non need to change anything. And to Mr March: you have yet to see Macross Frontier, how can you tell it will be the masterpiece you hope it to be after only 1 episode and some (mediocre) manga pages? At least wait a bit before firing away :lol: !

Edited by Nexx Stalker

Well Mylene was mentioned in the translation of the Frontier manga by ackem so we may see cameos or a mentioning of the Macross 7 cast in Frontier but as for a remake I would say no, things would be changed and it would add to confussion of the continuality of macross. But I would like to have a OVA or cameo in Frontier to explain who Mylene did choose.

Edited by Sorata

By the way, to go back on topic, M7 is just marvellous as it is, non need to change anything. And to Mr March: you have yet to see Macross Frontier, how can you tell it will be the masterpiece you hope it to be after only 1 episode and some (mediocre) manga pages? At least wait a bit before firing away :lol: !

Well considering Kawamori has promised that this Frontier series will be the best one yet, and SDFM is the undisputed masterpiece of the Macross universe, Frontier has a pretty high standard to surpass. Thus, if successful, will become a masterpiece unto itself.

The show has the potential to become a masterpiece or a commercial success. We won't know until episode 36 which it will ultimately become.

SDFM was a critical and commercial success, while M7 was mainly a commercial success.

Who said anything about "masterpiece"? Macross 7 was the bottom of the barrel; chances of a good Macross production are much better if Kawamori and Co. stay away from wasting time remaking M7. As for Macross Frontier, it might turn out great or lousy, but so far I'm enjoying it.

Edited by Mr March

mwehehehe! what, much like Minmay, Basara's gonna sing the haters to submission?

quite possible, coz Basara was able to tame Gamlin and he was even armed with the incredible Gamlin Kick...

so what sort of defense do the haters have against that? :p

Who said anything about "masterpiece"? Macross 7 was the bottom of the barrel; chances of a good Macross production are much better if Kawamori and Co. stay away from wasting time remaking M7. As for Macross Frontier, it might turn out great or lousy, but so far I'm enjoying it.

I too enjoyed the first episode, and I agree that it had a good "vibe" that gives me hope for the future of the series. However, that M7 is the bottom of the line is your opinion (and that's ok). I think that it's one of the best sequels ever made, but hey, that's life ^_^

One last bit. SDF Macross was absolutely not an immediate success. It could have been canceled if it wasn't for Valkyries' sales and it was only through merchandising that it endured. If it that didn't happen, we wouldn't be talking about Macross F today. B))

I too enjoyed the first episode, and I agree that it had a good "vibe" that gives me hope for the future of the series. However, that M7 is the bottom of the line is your opinion (and that's ok). I think that it's one of the best sequels ever made, but hey, that's life ^_^

One last bit. SDF Macross was absolutely not an immediate success. It could have been canceled if it wasn't for Valkyries' sales and it was only through merchandising that it endured. If it that didn't happen, we wouldn't be talking about Macross F today. B))

Of course it's just an opnion, as is your own view. We are here to share them with each other after all. Fortunately the number of people here that try to pass their opinions off as more than that are few, so we're good. I'm not too worried about Macross Frontier's popularity. I don't think it'll be a smash hit (I can always hope), but I know it'll do well and we'll all enjoy the merchandise. No doubts there :)

Of course it's just an opnion, as is your own view. We are here to share them with each other after all. Fortunately the number of people here that try to pass their opinions off as more than that are few, so we're good. I'm not too worried about Macross Frontier's popularity. I don't think it'll be a smash hit (I can always hope), but I know it'll do well and we'll all enjoy the merchandise. No doubts there :)

And even if it does get cancelled mid-stream, we can always hope that it goes out like the original Gundam...they scrambled to put together four episodes to wrap everything up after it had ben cancelled, and those are four of the best episodes in the whole series. In fact, based on the "Tomino Memo" for what would have happened in epsiodes 40~52, I think the abbreviated ending is better.

Back to Macross 7, I'm currently rewatching it, and I wish there had been some kind of retroactive cancellation that would have forced them to tighten up the first twenty episodes into maybe nine or ten...

Or, instead of remaking it, maybe we should take a page from one of the guys at Robotech.com, who is rewriting Mac7 to fit in with Robotech...Max is now Admiral Scott Bernard, Ariel is dead, Mylene is now Marlene Bernard, and Basara has been renamed "Nick Vasillis." Sounds like a winner to me!</sarcasm>

mwehehehe! what, much like Minmay, Basara's gonna sing the haters to submission?

quite possible, coz Basara was able to tame Gamlin and he was even armed with the incredible Gamlin Kick...

so what sort of defense do the haters have against that? :p

Indeed.

POWER TO THE MUSIC !!!

FIRE BOMBER !!! :ph34r:

Well if the remake is not going to happen, at least they should try repainting the Varauta army valks in a remastered edition. I mean, they are pink!

I know the pilots were like zombies and they didnt care, but still, it should be embarrasing to pilot a pink valk.

Of course, If I had thousands of zombie minions like the protodevlins had, I would make fun of them, I would have them wear ridiculous wigs or would order them to learn some coregraphic steps, and so on just for fun, but I would definitely not make them pilot pink Valks... hum wait a minute, oh man those protodevlins were really evil.

:)

Rather than remake it they should add to it. it all got interesting in the last few episodes. Then in the last episode uncultured Zentradai turn up and someone rolls the credits. I want to know what happens next. The only certainty is Basra lives as he goes on to annoy the Space Whales later on. The only pre condition I ask for is more gritty and less fluffy singing storyline. More M0 and Frontier style story. Make people actualy care about the cast.

Edited by big F

Why do people would keep wanting to remake everything... leave the series alone it is good and finished.

I would anyway liked to see a more mature and wiser Basara in Macross F.

I too enjoyed the first episode, and I agree that it had a good "vibe" that gives me hope for the future of the series. However, that M7 is the bottom of the line is your opinion (and that's ok). I think that it's one of the best sequels ever made, but hey, that's life

It's been my experience that the show that made you a fan is the one that you remember the most fondly. I was hooked on SDFM, while others it was M7. That's fine, but unfortunately it takes a lot to look at them objectively.

Where in the world did you get THAT information from??? SDFM's merchandising didn't kick in to full gear until midway through the series and it carried right through DYRL and beyond. The series had two maybe three sponsors when it aired and the transformation of the Valks was not known until the first episode aired. It was a low budget series that captured the imagination of a generation, unlike Gundam that had a delayed reaction (much like Star Trek). The biggest draw to the show was the music, followed by the mecha. The biggest risk it faced was getting the animation completed in time for the weekly airing.

The Merchandising was responsible for DYRL and the additional episodes at the end of the series. In fact the merchandise demand was so enduring that BigWest commissioned Mac II without Studio Nue to capitalize on it.

The only pre condition I ask for is more gritty and less fluffy singing storyline. More M0 and Frontier style story. Make people actualy care about the cast.

I agree with you there. That is why I'd love to see what Kawamori's direct vision of the show would have been like, as compared to what the show's director came up with. Considering he was involved in directing Macross Plus at the time, he didn't spend as much time supervising that show as he could have.

Rather than remake it they should add to it. it all got interesting in the last few episodes. Then in the last episode uncultured Zentradai turn up and someone rolls the credits. I want to know what happens next. The only certainty is Basra lives as he goes on to annoy the Space Whales later on. The only pre condition I ask for is more gritty and less fluffy singing storyline. More M0 and Frontier style story. Make people actualy care about the cast.

I really don't understand how you're associationg "singing" with "fluffy," but whatever. Fact of the matter is, if Basara had shot up his enemies, it would have been the run of the mill everything that's been done before, and all things considered in context, the Protodevelin were so strong that the 7 fleet was way outgunned, even with reaction weapons.

Telekenetic/chi/whatever powers are nothing new to anime, aren't localized to any one genre, and are quite proficient within the culture. It's just as silly as complaining about Newtypes in Gundam, Overmen in Votoms, or Jedi in Star Wars.

I really don't understand how you're associationg "singing" with "fluffy," but whatever. Fact of the matter is, if Basara had shot up his enemies, it would have been the run of the mill everything that's been done before, and all things considered in context, the Protodevelin were so strong that the 7 fleet was way outgunned, even with reaction weapons.

Telekenetic/chi/whatever powers are nothing new to anime, aren't localized to any one genre, and are quite proficient within the culture. It's just as silly as complaining about Newtypes in Gundam, Overmen in Votoms, or Jedi in Star Wars.

LOL

No really what I meant was that the Zentradai fleet turning up was something familiar SWI original Macross, think of it as that comfortable pair of shoes that just feel right, I then thought hows this gonna work with the Basara angle. no more power and might of the military, maybe some major league culture shock. Then the credits ran :( Still I for one liked Basaras songs.

Edited by big F