Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

ah, thanks! haven't explored that street yet. over several trips to HK i've found very few shops selling scifi kits aside from gundam. only a couple had macross (very few items at that), and have yet to find one carrying MaK.

When I travelled to HK I was a bit disappointed about the lack of jap. Sci-Fi kits besides Gundam and PVC figures. But I found some places which are very interesting for modelers. These two carried Maschinen Krieger. Don't know if they still have some.

"Toyzone 16" in Causeway bay Bldg 3, Sugar Street, Causeway Bay HK. Opened from 12:00h-21:00h. Its located on the 16th floor. There are only 2 shops on this floor. The one to the left sells toys(Super Robo,Kaiju) the one on the right side sells model kits and Kaiju toys. It's listed in Pos.5 of Graham's shop list but without name and business hours.

"Concorde Hobby Shop" Lai Chi Kok Rd. 331, Lai Chi kok, Kowloon. A model shop. Or to be precise. One without toys and PVC figures. Only recommend this if you stay a bit longer and have some time to explore HK. It's located quite remote far from anything interesting. Regular shop times so its closed by night. Just look for this store

There's also a small but good sorted model shop in Sino Centre on the 10th floor. 1st shop to the right.

On the opposite of the CTMA main entrance is a Gundam gallery (G-System stuff) located on the 3rd floor. Small shop that also carry modeling books. If I remember correctly I saw some Makoto Kobayashi and Kow Yokoyama kits there.

:D Happy hunting.

Edited by TSP

The whole thing may get floppy. Does anyone know if Bandai's previous transformable models have stayed tight?

Well, I've had my transformable MG S Gundam for years, and its still totally solid. Same with both my Zeta Plus'. My Zeta Ver 2.0 was a bit floppy right out of the box, but still holds poses fine, and has not progressed any worse.

I honestly have pretty high hopes for the VF-25 staying pretty solid. Bandai enigeering for transformable/extra feature type kits has really skyrocketed lately, due mostly, IMO, to use of so much ABS plastic. This allows for smaller, stronger, and tighter joints. Not to mention that Bandai can now mold far more intricate parts as a solid piece instead of two halves.

Jarrod

though bandai has prgresss lately but i think model kits are still model kits, they are meant to be model kits and not played ard..

my opinons only..

Agreed, but I'm still going to get one as a substitute toy, until the real toys come out.

My craving for a VF-25 is too strong and I need my fix now man. Can't wait until December or January or whenever the damn 1/60 DX VF-25 Chunky is coming out.

Graham

Hey guys,

I'm not going to do the full proper paint application, as I plan to probably transform the thing more than usual. So I will be leaving it in it's original plastic colour. However also with the decals. Do any of you know of what type of ideal varnish to apply so the decals would be chip resistent, and the white plastic won't go yellow over time?

Please and thanx :)

A bit better than I expected. There are plenty of elements on it that scream 'toy' - the massive seams, the bulky undercarriage, etc, but I think this has the potential, with a bit of effort, to make a great display model!

Yeah, I think one could make a pretty good non-transforming display model - even the aircraft mode is okay without the undercarriage in the newer pictures, the cockpit still looks undersized though. I wonder if the kit is around the same size as the Hasegawa VF-0?

No matter how much you varnish to protect the decals, if the part rubs, the varnish or clear-coat will only delay the inevitable - as Graham mentioned, I think its a model that can be posed into a certain position and even occasionally transformed, but it won't stand up to constant changes like a toy.

I am however pleasantly surprised.

No matter how much you varnish to protect the decals, if the part rubs, the varnish or clear-coat will only delay the inevitable - as Graham mentioned, I think its a model that can be posed into a certain position and even occasionally transformed, but it won't stand up to constant changes like a toy.

No one ever said it was a toy in the first place. These things are model kits i.e., display pieces. If the thing breaks because you transform it too much, then that's your own fault. I really don't know how many times I have to state that this thing is a model and not a toy.

Originally I was just going to get the 1/60 toy and pass on the model because I am not a modeller and so lack the skills and experience (and time) to complete it. BUT I am a battroid freak and this model looked SOOOOOO much better in Battroid than the 1/60 (at least from the pics so far - I know that the DX may have some revisions still) which is why I have preordered this at HLJ. If the DX does not get better or start to look better in battroid I may pass on it and just display this model. BUT I still want the Recon Luca and if it only comes out in the DX line then I will have to get that.

Any news on the Vajra model kit? I hope they sill rock that.

Don't sweat it Miriya! My three year old and I just built the Bandai 1/20 Scopedog kit for HIM (really-I got my own in the box). He loves it and it looks awesome right out of the box! Except for the decal applications, I'm sure you'll be fine! It's taing a lot of 3 year old abuse too! PArts that would obviously break are ABS or softer plastic like polycap material (antenna). Still ON SALE TOO! http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?MacroType=Inj...p;GenreCode=Sci

Bandai seems to be retooling the injections points so they have to be cut away instead of being part of the part. Less chance of tearing away nicks into the part.

I'm digging the gunpod! I like how it separates (cooling I guess) and how detailed the muzzle is. Oh yeah, and the rest of the kit looks good too! - MT

No matter how much you varnish to protect the decals, if the part rubs, the varnish or clear-coat will only delay the inevitable ...

There is a solution for this problem. It's expensive though. Wesco autobody supply sells urethane automotive clear coats that are calylized paints. These top coats are nearly indestructible. I have a co-worker that uses it on his model cars to great satisfaction. They are very high gloss though and would need a dust coat of flat to take the glare off.

I "may" get this kit. I want to see some things from people who have got it and built it first though.

It will be interesting to see how long it take members to build it and post. Of course it takes more time than opening a toy box, taking some pics and posting. It may be cool to do a VF-25 model building contest? maybe not. I would loose.

It will be interesting to see how long it take members to build it and post. Of course it takes more time than opening a toy box, taking some pics and posting. It may be cool to do a VF-25 model building contest? maybe not. I would loose.

heeeeeeeeeey, THAT would be a great idea, we should try that...of course, we all know that HKR MKII would win for building it in 1.5

days and Wm Cheng would win for making it look better than the anime itself...

heeeeeeeeeey, THAT would be a great idea, we should try that...of course, we all know that HKR MKII would win for building it in 1.5

days and Wm Cheng would win for making it look better than the anime itself...

QFT!!!

There is a solution for this problem. It's expensive though. Wesco autobody supply sells urethane automotive clear coats that are calylized paints. These top coats are nearly indestructible. I have a co-worker that uses it on his model cars to great satisfaction. They are very high gloss though and would need a dust coat of flat to take the glare off.

I used to work professionally building model cars. We would use two-part paint for the top coat to get the kind of hard-wearing gloss you're talking about. I guess this sounds like it. The only down-side is if you breathe in the stuff it will kill you. SAFETY FIRST!

Most of the stuff we use that isn't water based it bad for you. But yeah. At the very least have a fan sucking the fumes away from your workspace. The stuff is very expensive so I don't think anyone here is going to die. I think I'll try it out when I get the kit.

It may be cool to do a VF-25 model building contest? maybe not. I would loose.

No trust me, I would lose. I really, really suck at painting.

Hey, perhaps we could run two contests, one for the pros like WM Cheng to see who can build the best model and one for people like us, to see who can do the crapiest build......LOL!

Graham

No trust me, I would lose. I really, really suck at painting.

Hey, perhaps we could run two contests, one for the pros like WM Cheng to see who can build the best model and one for people like us, to see who can do the crapiest build......LOL!

Graham

As silly as that sounds it is almost a good idea. If I had the extra $40 to spend I would love to try to build it the fastest and crapiest.

Damn it...I may have to try my hand at this kit. I typically avoid model kits (I would smoke EVERYONE in a 'worst' competition) but if this thing is a true plamo, a kit that can be assembled easily with pieces molded in different colors and played with, I just might have to cave and get one. It just looks too pretty.

I did recently put together a Keroro Robo plamo from Bandai and the plastic quality surprised the hell out of me. Completed it feels far closer to a 'toy' than a 'model kit'. Plus I was pleased that it was a snap-kit because glue is something that should never find it's way into my hands.

Edited by eriku

You know Rainbowten has this kit listed at 3600Yen and HLJ is at 4500. Any reason why I shouldn't buy from Rainbowten? I've never ordered from them before.

Besides price? Rainbowten doesn't have a fancy ordering system like HLJ or Hobby Search so it's all done by e-mail. If you're okay with sending billing info (credit card numbers) via e-mail, then go for it.

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/faq.htm