Transformers on DVD

areaseven

Transformers on DVD - October 16  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which exclusive version of the Transformers DVD are you getting?

• Wal-Mart (Single disc w/ bonus Prequel DVD)
    • Best Buy (2-Disc w/ bonus Optimus Prime/Cliffjumper Robot Heroes figurines)
    • Target (2-Disc w/ bonus transforming Optimus Prime DVD case + prequel comic)
    • Circuit City (w/ bonus exclusive content gift card)
    • Suncoast (2-Disc w/ steel DVD case)
    • Borders (2-Disc w/ "Making of" booklet)
    • Sears (2-Disc w/ free LED flashlight)
    • Blockbuster (Single disc w/ 128MB MP3 player)
    • Screw the exclusives! I just want the movie.
    • Me Grimlock still want stomp Michael Bay!

As many of you already know, Transformers hits stores on October 16. But as expected, Hasbro/Paramount/DreamWorks want all of your money, so they've decided to release the DVD in various editions in certain store chains. Which of these exclusive versions are you getting?

A Summary of DVD Exclusive Pack-Ins

Edited by areaseven

Depends. Are the Best Buy exclusive Ratchet and Megatron metallic repaints going to be there too on that day? If so, I'm going there. If not--Wal-Mart.

Either way I'm buying the cheapest normal DVD version possible, as you KNOW there'll be a "super ultimate edition with 4 mins new footage" in a few months, or a year. And eventually Blu-Ray.

Wal-Mart. The transforming box at Target sound pretty cool, but I know I'm going to wind up buying the HD-DVD version later, when I finally cave and buy the 360's HD-DVD drive. So the main thing I'm looking at is the bonus content, and the extra DVD at Wal-Mart's definitely got extra content.

Oh, and I already have the Robot Heroes Primes... the first one, the Matrix one, and the movie one. And since I really only collect certain lines or Primes (and Robot Heroes isn't one of my lines), I couldn't care less about Cliffjumper (I'm still wondering what to do with Ravage, Unicron, and Blackout).

Personally, I'll get it where-ever I can. I don't really care about special exclusives or anything. If I get it at any of those stores then meh. I would rather see a "Get 20% off any Transformers movie merchandise" exclusive.

I'll have to see what they give us in OZ but I'm sure we won't get a selection like you guys in the states. We will probably get a standard DVD with a little extra but I'd be supprised to see a selection like that, and the market would not warrant such a choice 20 million people in Oz compared to how many U.S citizens.

I hate it when they put out different exclusive versions of a DVD or CD at different stores. :p When the last Def Leppard CD, Yeah!, came out last year depending on which store you bought it from the bonus tracks were different!

IMHO they should stick with just a regular DVD release (which can either be a separate widescreen or fullscreen release) and a "special edition" version. Of course then there will be an eventual "extra special edition", but that's another story.

I'll probably get the Wal-mart edition.

While I'm not buying this movie, what really gets me is all these special gift sets and special offers are only for the regular DVD. The HD DVD is pretty much sold bare bones. One movie I AM buying tomorrow is Surfs Up on blu ray and Best Buy is going to have this neat gift set for it with four mini figures... but it's only for the regular DVD and not the Blu Ray. Kind of sucks... if I want the bonus items I have to either buy the crappy regular DVD or buy both it and the Blu Ray. I bet Transformers is the same way... if you want those neat promo goods AND the HD DVD you'll have to double dip right out of the gate. That's balls.

Whats this about a prequel DVD? I've not seen the movie yet, but did they make a prequel for it?
The Walmart version includes a DVD with an animated version of IDW's movie Prequel comic mini-series. I'm not sure to what extent the comic is animated. I'm not sure why Walmart is advertising it as narrated by Peter Cullen, because IDW editor Chris Ryall has reported that other actors are also involved, there are sound effects and animation. Awhile back Mark Ryan reported he had just finished recording lines as Bumblebee for this very prequel, so it will be nice to hear Bumblebee speak for himself given he has big speaking roles in this. Edited by Fit For Natalie

FYI: I've read that the Wal-Mart DVD with the prequel DVD is the single-disc only version, which means you'll miss out on the special edition content of the 2-disc DVD.

:mellow:

I'll be getting mine at Target, which is the 2-disc version.

I bet Transformers is the same way... if you want those neat promo goods AND the HD DVD you'll have to double dip right out of the gate. That's balls.

This sucks. I would really like to own the prequel dvd, but when I bought this HD DVD drive for my 360, Transformers was one of the movies I used to rationalize the purchase.

Seems like every other movie I want in hi-def so far is only on bluray too. :angry:

FYI: I've read that the Wal-Mart DVD with the prequel DVD is the single-disc only version, which means you'll miss out on the special edition content of the 2-disc DVD.

:mellow:

I'll be getting mine at Target, which is the 2-disc version.

You sure about this? I always thought Walmart's is also 2 disc special edition. That would suck if it isn't...

I did mention on my introduction post that the Wal-Mart edition is the single-disc DVD with the bonus prequel DVD.

Here are the links to pre-order the DVD:

Best Buy ($29.99)

Target ($22.99) (No mention of the transforming case, though.)

Circuit City ($13.99) (It appears they're only carrying the single-disc edition at the moment.)

As for me, I already ordered mine from both Wal-Mart and Target. Yeah, I'm taking a gamble on the Target order, but I could really care less about the transforming case.

No plan to buy it. Haven't seen it. May rent it later to watch with my son. Like most Michael Bay movies, I'll probably fall asleep half way through it.....LOL!

Any hot girls in it? Isn't there some chick with a wierd name? Shia La Beouf or something like that?

To be honest I know very little about this movie.

Graham

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6376

Guess I'll have to pick the Target release instead of Walmart's, now that Walmart's is a single disc release with the prequel. While Target's transforming case look a bit cheesy, but heard it also comes with a comic. So sounds like a better buy (its the 2 disc special edition set) with some novelty freebies.

I'm not getting any of them.

I know that this movie will be re-released. Even if the plans aren't telegraphed, well, when has such a popular summer movie NOT been re-released?

I also know that the different stores have different content on their DVD. That is BS! I don't know what else to call it except a BS marketing ploy to get you to buy more than one copy. And I'll bet a re-released version will probably have an integration of the different stores' exclusives.

Also, I refuse to buy a DVD when I know a high-definition release is out there. And I have a PS3. I'm not going to be tricked into buying this movie twice, so I won't buy it at all unless it's either on Blu-Ray or it comes out again when TF2 hits theaters and has a DVD with all the features amalgamated.

This is completely moronic. I am not getting any of them till I port over to HD-DVD ot blu-ray. Fool me once not twice. I am not getting tricked to get one dvd only to find out they re-released it. Pisses me off they do this stupid crap. I am betting some TF fans will get all 4 versions... beter them than me.