Transformer Super Thread 6

Monstructor was the only gestalt I ever finished. :'(

I never completed a Gestalt. The only subline I ever completed were the Insecticons. And even then, just the real Insecticons, not the Deluxe Insecticons that came from Bandai.

But I gotta agree with prometheum5, it's all about Devastator. Predaking would be a close second, but the Constructicons came first, had more screen time, and did awesome stuff like turn Optimus Prime into an alligator. As for the rest, they all kinda ran together in the end.

The only Gestalts I finished were Computron and Superion. I got close to completing the 2nd generation Devastator (the yellow/orange color). I had five of the six (missing a leg, but can't remember which one). I only had a few of the Stunticons.

I've been going through eBay and trying to get a loose set of G1 Constructicons and I've got three of them so far. Fairly decent condition (nice stickers, all parts included and no sever blemishes) and all were less than $10 each. Thinking about ordering a set of repro stickers to make a nice display piece when I'm done.

There are tons of new voyager class and Deluxe class (rescue ratchet is actually on shelves now) out at both Target and Walmart here in NC. It looks like the QC for some of the figures is pretty poor. Payload and Dropkick both look like they arent completely transformed in the packaging (lots of seams) and there are cut marks on the seams of payload. However I have seen a ton of concept Bumblebee and Arcee lately.

I was a spoiled kid and between my brother and I we had almost all the G1 Gestalts (basically #1-8 on the list). They mostly were cool in one's imagination as the toys were often skinny, flimsy feeling, and mostly static (and weren't much taller than some guys like Blaster). For that alone, Predaking rocked because he was huge, solid, evil looking, and had fists that were about the size of Bumblebee's body. Granted, he wasn't any more poseable than most of the gestalts and he was a very chunky winged monkey, but he just looked like a bruiser compared to the others.

That said, I'd still have a hard time saying I'd pick him all-around (toy/character/cartoon) over Devastator just because Devastator felt unique in the Transformer universe for his time, whereas later it got to the point where just about everyone was merging together. Devastator also had the multi-bot torso instead of the one big guy with four little guys tossed on scheme.

As a kid who always liked the tech specs, I found it funny that often (particularly with the Decepticon gestalts) when you merge five average or even smart Transformers together you somehow wind up with a complete moron in terms of intelligence. Of course, one grows up and starts working at places where decisions are made by committee and you realize just how accurate that is... :D

Never completed Predaking, as Rampage and Razor Claw were stuck together for YEARS. Did eventually manage to separate them, but Mom wouldn't buy any more.

For all the others:

Computron sucked. Boring colors, very kibbly IMHO. Generic alt modes, etc.

Piranacon rocks, biggest of the "standard" gestalts. And a Targetmaster. Also, has the most unified colorscheme after Devastator.

Menasor---traditionally my fave, but noticeably smaller than the others. And probably least cartoon-accurate.

Abominus---awesome. Big, fun alt modes. Hun-Grrr has more articulation than many BW alt-modes. Due to that, about the only gestalt with working knees and hips.

Superion---while a neat concept, was just plain too skinny and mis-proportioned. (Even going by the "proper" way to assemble him, totally ignoring the instructions). Also, even for gestalt limbs, the 4 guys all seemed like clones.

Bruticus--definitely above average, great alt modes, poor individual robot modes (asides from Onslaught).

Defensor--barely remember.

Devastator--the original, and quite good.

i have devestator and predaking...i find devestator looks a lot better if you tranform/combine him wrong too...for his right arm, rotate the tracks back and out 90 degrees, so they lock in behind devestator's head/shoulder. This gets rid of the purple blob between the chest and the arm and makes it so both arms stick out the same distance from the chest.

none of the other combiners do anything for me.

JRX was pretty good, just the US versions looked cheap due to different plastics/paint apps etc. One of the few toys I really wish I had the Japanese version. On that, let's go to modern gestalts:

Magnaboss---never even seen

Tripedacus--awesome due to complexity and how the upper two bots really mesh. Ugly, but the most complicated transformation ever. Though I don't have an MP-5 yet. Every bit is complex, with getting Ramhorn back to beetle mode being the worst.

Energon Bruticus: awesome torso/leader (Barricade), he alone is one of the best TF's in recent years IMHO. Limbs OK.

Energon Superion: never bought torso, just a limb or two.

Energon Devastator: as above

The whole "2 limbs are just repaints" was truly lazy. A simple new head and maybe torso detailing would be enough---many G1 limbs were very similar, but none were mere repaints. I never bought all of any Energon gestalt. I had most of Bruticus, and 1 new Aerialbot and 1 new Constructicon so I could have 4 different Bruticus-ish limbs. Looked nice when I was done IMHO. (Especially as the original Bruticus was such a mish-mash of vehicles) (Also, some limbs were WAY better as arms or feet, so I wanted 2 GOOD feet and 2 GOOD arms)

I was a spoiled kid and between my brother and I we had almost all the G1 Gestalts (basically #1-8 on the list). They mostly were cool in one's imagination as the toys were often skinny, flimsy feeling, and mostly static (and weren't much taller than some guys like Blaster). For that alone, Predaking rocked because he was huge, solid, evil looking, and had fists that were about the size of Bumblebee's body. Granted, he wasn't any more poseable than most of the gestalts and he was a very chunky winged monkey, but he just looked like a bruiser compared to the others.

That said, I'd still have a hard time saying I'd pick him all-around (toy/character/cartoon) over Devastator just because Devastator felt unique in the Transformer universe for his time, whereas later it got to the point where just about everyone was merging together. Devastator also had the multi-bot torso instead of the one big guy with four little guys tossed on scheme.

As a kid who always liked the tech specs, I found it funny that often (particularly with the Decepticon gestalts) when you merge five average or even smart Transformers together you somehow wind up with a complete moron in terms of intelligence. Of course, one grows up and starts working at places where decisions are made by committee and you realize just how accurate that is... :D

*lol*

So true. Too many chiefs is a bad thing.

You mean there were other gestalts apart from Devastator? :p

Opening him up on Christmas morning when I was a kid was a dream come true.

The bugger was really a pain in the ass to form though. Ended up playing more with the individual constructicons :D

Stopped in Target today and snagged another concept BB. Now the kid is off my back, LOL.

Damn. You folks are lucky in the continental US. There is jack sh_t here. I am still waiting to find a concept BB when I walk into my local Walmart or Kmart. :(

JRX was pretty good, just the US versions looked cheap due to different plastics/paint apps etc. One of the few toys I really wish I had the Japanese version.

I'm in the process of ebaying all my RiD stuff now. It was a really hard decision to make because this was the stuff that got me into collecting again. The problem is that it's all been in a box in the closet for far too long because other, not necessarily but sometimes better, stuff has come since which I enjoy displaying more. Alternators being the major reason(and also the next logical step after RiD engineering), characterization being the other. There's no Bumblebee or Ironhide or Hikaru in the RiD bunch to warrant holding on to it.

Anyway, I just finished doing a "photoshoot" of RailRacer for ebay. This really is a fantastic figure. I really like the Build King/Landfill molds too, although they're not held in near as high a regard as the JRX set.

post-4708-1191693087_thumb.jpg

kremzeek! i was wondering how the bottom gun piece attaches. now i know. i had menasor growing up. it was way cool.

Edited by sh002

i have devestator and predaking...i find devestator looks a lot better if you tranform/combine him wrong too...for his right arm, rotate the tracks back and out 90 degrees, so they lock in behind devestator's head/shoulder. This gets rid of the purple blob between the chest and the arm and makes it so both arms stick out the same distance from the chest.

none of the other combiners do anything for me.

I haven't seen/transformed a Constructicon since 1985. My best friend at the time had one and I thought it was cool then. I have Bruticus and Predaking. Bruticus is pretty decent and sturdy in gestalt mode.

My next gestalt will probably be Computron and then I'll go after Devastator.

I can't wait to pose my Predaking with Bruticus :lol:

Bruticus.jpg

Edited by Ratchet

I was waiting for this to come out before I bought a MP-5. Still, $150 for one TF is a lot.

Anyways---so after all was said and done, what places had "easily removed with no glue residue" MP-5's? Because now I want to buy one, and need to know who will (probably) have the "least altered" MP-5's coming in the 2nd production batch.

That's nice:

http://theknightshift.blogspot.com/2007/10...ansformers.html

Steve Jablonsky (the movie's composer) sent signed copies of the CD to the guy who started the online petition to get it released.

Except after reading it I realize the guy who made the petition needs to go outside his house a little more. The entire thing strikes me as "too" nerdy.

And I had about 30 different tirades to go on about his "cds sound better than "digital files"" thing and the "ZOMG so much effort went into this cd because it's awesome". Yeah, ever heard any other cds from major labels from major releases that sound like trash on a technical basis? Lol

But it's cool it got released. Some of the music was pretty good.

Yeah, Piranacon really is pretty butt-ugly... If they were going to release an animal-centric Decepticon gestalt, go wtih Predaking, or at least Abominus...

EDIT: And I'm not sure why US fans would even care about Piranacon, when most of his screen-tme (if not all?) was in Super God Masterforce...

Edited by promethuem5

JRX was pretty good, just the US versions looked cheap due to different plastics/paint apps etc. One of the few toys I really wish I had the Japanese version. On that, let's go to modern gestalts:

Magnaboss---never even seen

Tripedacus--awesome due to complexity and how the upper two bots really mesh. Ugly, but the most complicated transformation ever. Though I don't have an MP-5 yet. Every bit is complex, with getting Ramhorn back to beetle mode being the worst.

Energon Bruticus: awesome torso/leader (Barricade), he alone is one of the best TF's in recent years IMHO. Limbs OK.

Energon Superion: never bought torso, just a limb or two.

Energon Devastator: as above

The whole "2 limbs are just repaints" was truly lazy. A simple new head and maybe torso detailing would be enough---many G1 limbs were very similar, but none were mere repaints. I never bought all of any Energon gestalt. I had most of Bruticus, and 1 new Aerialbot and 1 new Constructicon so I could have 4 different Bruticus-ish limbs. Looked nice when I was done IMHO. (Especially as the original Bruticus was such a mish-mash of vehicles) (Also, some limbs were WAY better as arms or feet, so I wanted 2 GOOD feet and 2 GOOD arms)

I've got all three of the energon gestalts. Personally I think Bruticus looks the best, followed closely by Devastator. Superion suffers from a floppy torso (at least on mine), and from weird looking limbs.

I found the new concept BB, but it was in the Target exclusive Evolution of a Hero(BB two pack) set. :mellow: I have two 70's Bees now. It's a real shame that they didn't opt for the Japanese 70s Bee with the purple translucent windows and missiles like is on the back of the package. Unfortunately it looks like it's the same exact 70s Bee we saw before(if you were lucky enough to find him).

Concept BB is the best deluxe imho. The contrasting colors, the mechanical detail, the transformation and the weapon simply work on a level beyond your general deluxe. I just wish I had him in normal colors instead of this battle damage. Given how barren the deluxe pegs *still* are around here, I just couldn't pass him up.

I was waiting for this to come out before I bought a MP-5. Still, $150 for one TF is a lot.

Anyways---so after all was said and done, what places had "easily removed with no glue residue" MP-5's? Because now I want to buy one, and need to know who will (probably) have the "least altered" MP-5's coming in the 2nd production batch.

Ages3+ definately have unaltered MP-5 and I think TFSource also get theirs unaltered - give them an email to confirm tho.

I don't remember anyone having any difficulties removing the plugs from places like BBTS or HLJ - every review I remember reading says that they pretty much fell right out or required no effort at all to pull out.