Transformer Super Thread 6

Saw the movie Bumblebee two pack in Target yesterday, but passed due to the stupid battle damage on '08 Bumblebee. They have enough '08 Bumblebees for the two pack but nothing for the single deluxe? I'm sure I'll see more of the stand alone '08 Bumblebee next month, but just in case I've decided to pre-order one online.

As far as I've seen, the Takara Classics Megatron will have the same color scheme as Hasbro's. I've already got the only Megatron I'll ever want, MP-5. Unless someone with a brain makes that tank G1 colored Megatron seen some time ago.

Concerning the TF shows, Beast Wars was more enjoyable than any TF show that came after it.

That would indeed be very cool. I'd gladly kick my current Classics Megs to the curb in favor of one in a more G1ish deco.

Ditto for BB if they do him solid yellow without the pearly white paint apps.

Cool, I hadn't considered that. With that in mind, my wish list is that for Bee they do that *and* change the paint on the bottom and insides of the feet from light gray to black as well as putting some silver/chrome behind the headlight. Hey, might not all happen, but it would make me happy. :D

The one I'm really holding out hope for is Megs though. Gray, red, and black will always be *the* Megatron to me. I love classics Megatron, but I feel that his paint deco is more of an amalgamation of Galvatron and Megatron into one, than it is just Megatron. Although the paint scheme they did choose is actually a very clever way of bypassing the U.S. gun laws while doing fan service.

Astrotrain needs an anime deco, and someone needs to do it and make it affordable before botcon does it. :p

I reckon the WHOLE of G1 should be redone as Classics. This is what TFs were meant to be like. Five point articulation in the old toys is what sucks and prevented me from buying them.

If they build them, I will come. With money. To buy toys.

Seriously, when they finished the last wave of Classics, I couldn't help but think of characters I still wanted (Wheeljack, Jazz, Ratchet, Prowl, Hound, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Cyclonus, Blitzwing, Soundwave, Galvatron, and Shockwave, for starters). Not to mention characters I did want, but didn't feel like paying Botcon Exclusive pricing for (the rest of the Seekers). At least I'm getting Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, and Octane... a year from now...

Oooooooh. As I've mentioned before, Movie Prime is just a typical Peterbilt with a LOT of custom/aftermarket parts. You can go to any large truck stop and get half the stuff you need. Very close, though I notice the aft toolboxes are missing--surprising, those are actually a standard modern 379 part and any dealership should be able to get them easily, if they don't already have them in stock. The grill is a replacement but a stock part------2003-2005 or so I think--about the closest you can get with getting it custom-made like the movie one. (2006+ is even closer, but won't work with older cooling systems)

Doubt you could drive it more than 30 secs with the running lights on without getting stopped, and any DOT inspection would be an instant fail.

Curious about the front fenders---they look identical to Prime's, but I thought those were utterly custom for the movie. Maybe it's an aftermarket part I've never seen before.

I've passed up the 2-pack many times already. I really want a 08BB, but the one in the 2-pack looks dreadful to me. I really hate factory painted 'battle damage'.

From a post in Seibetron.com, the guy mentioned the 'battle damage' burnt mark airbrush can be easily wiped off with some alcohol. Though you do have to deal with the missing left head light (painted black instead of silver, as if its broken), and the silver scratch marks.

Here's what I am hoping for:

(Using Bay logic)

Dinobots are what lead Megatron to the allspark, by accident. Optimus finds finds them, via weakass signal and brings them back to the present era. hilarity do ensue.

Starscream returns to Cybertron to give us more of a glimpse of their world. Finds Shockwave, and Soundwave and mobilizes for a counter offensive.

Meanwhile Megatron/Galvatron reawakens with Allspark powers and crawls to shore and gives life to the Constructicons. They follow him back down to the trench, and repair and modify the rest of the deceptions. Maybe building a base.

Starsceam and CO. arrive and join up with Megatron. Perhaps a little in-fighing for time.

Shockwave gives the Constructions the "Combiner Key"

They still side with their creator.

Some city has something the Decepticons want. They attack.

Autobots fight back with military Quick response team.

They hold the line, but it ends "ESB" style.

A distress signal is sent.

This opens the way for TF3.

I've been plotting this since the movie came out. The only thing so far that has caught me by surprise is the "Bay" aircraft carrier. While that would make sense for the Decepticons, who favor military vehicles, It seems kind of recockulous.

Aww...Jazz...

...how I've been so wrong about you.

Deluxe Movie Jazz used to be one of my least favorite Movie character toy, and I am pretty dead on not getting it. He's fat, got bunny ears, plain, and the dull grey plastic didn't help one bit. The Solstice isn't someting I like much. When I saw the Final Battle Jazz packaged in robot mode, I wasn't convinced one bit either. Saw Target's G1 deco, passed as well. But now that I've seen the movie on DVD, and look back at my collection, he is the only one thats missing from the Autobots. So I thought what the heck, knowing there is one nearby Walmart that still have quite a few of him. I decided to get him, sort of a "might as well" purchase. Who would have thought, I like him almost as much as my 08 Bumblebee...after a paint job.

Most of you already know what Jazz has to offer, so I won't go into details. While his articulation is limited, and don't quite like his gun's look & being an add on piece, I love the figure's sturdiness & balance. He stands really well, which is always something I look for in a figure. And I always lift up his shoulders to help him look a few pounds less. Love his clear visor, the only movie toy I have that actually works well with the light effect through it. But man, was I surprised by the sculpted details on this guy, especially on the neck/shoulder areas, inner torso, inner car panels, and the legs. Most of them you won't see as much normally, but once painted a wash, they pop right out. Level of detail is on par with 08 Bumblebee, and significantly more than the likes of Barricade (his legs are awfully simple). And a gloss clear coat really help the dull plastic no longer look so dull. Quite amazingly, this Jazz that I thought I would never get, now became my second favorite movie Deluxe. Guess Jazz just need to be 'jazzed up' a bit. Sweet little figure for $9.99 & a few hours of work. ;)

IMG_4334.jpg

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_4341.jpg

IMG_4342.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4346.jpg

Now that they are all here, its time for "Autobots! Roll out!!!"

IMG_4349.jpg

Edited by mpchi

Oooooooh. As I've mentioned before, Movie Prime is just a typical Peterbilt with a LOT of custom/aftermarket parts. You can go to any large truck stop and get half the stuff you need. Very close, though I notice the aft toolboxes are missing--surprising, those are actually a standard modern 379 part and any dealership should be able to get them easily, if they don't already have them in stock. The grill is a replacement but a stock part------2003-2005 or so I think--about the closest you can get with getting it custom-made like the movie one. (2006+ is even closer, but won't work with older cooling systems)

Doubt you could drive it more than 30 secs with the running lights on without getting stopped, and any DOT inspection would be an instant fail.

Curious about the front fenders---they look identical to Prime's, but I thought those were utterly custom for the movie. Maybe it's an aftermarket part I've never seen before.

He seemed to base the colour scheme on Voyager class Prime. The real Prime trucks have a much darker metallic red and blue colourscheme, on the front the blue flames are contrasted by orange as they fade into the red.

Since this is a 1994 379, assuming its in decent running condition, would it run better than the 1980s 359s or whatever the production used for Prime?

Aww...Jazz...

...how I've been so wrong about you.

Deluxe Movie Jazz used to be one of my least favorite Movie character toy, and I am pretty dead on not getting it. He's fat, got bunny ears, plain, and the dull grey plastic didn't help one bit. The Solstice isn't someting I like much. When I saw the Final Battle Jazz packaged in robot mode, I wasn't convinced one bit either. Saw Target's G1 deco, passed as well. But now that I've seen the movie on DVD, and look back at my collection, he is the only one thats missing from the Autobots. So I thought what the heck, knowing there is one nearby Walmart that still have quite a few of him. I decided to get him, sort of a "might as well" purchase. Who would have thought, I like him almost as much as my 08 Bumblebee...after a paint job.

Most of you already know what Jazz has to offer, so I won't go into details. While his articulation is limited, and don't quite like his gun's look & being an add on piece, I love the figure's sturdiness & balance. He stands really well, which is always something I look for in a figure. And I always lift up his shoulders to help him look a few pounds less. Love his clear visor, the only movie toy I have that actually works well with the light effect through it. But man, was I surprised by the sculpted details on this guy, especially on the neck/shoulder areas, inner torso, inner car panels, and the legs. Most of them you won't see as much normally, but once painted a wash, they pop right out. Level of detail is on par with 08 Bumblebee, and significantly more than the likes of Barricade (his legs are awfully simple). And a gloss clear coat really help the dull plastic no longer look so dull. Quite amazingly, this Jazz that I thought I would never get, now became my second favorite movie Deluxe. Guess Jazz just need to be 'jazzed up' a bit. Sweet little figure for $9.99 & a few hours of work. ;)

Great work as always, mpchi! I've been tempted by Jazz several times since he's usually the only TF on the pegs to look at. It's the arms and especially the hands that really turn me off.

Great work as always, mpchi! I've been tempted by Jazz several times since he's usually the only TF on the pegs to look at. It's the arms and especially the hands that really turn me off.

The arms are a bit funny, like 2 flaps sandwiching the little hand instead of a solid limb. But I was surprised that I was not bothered by it as much as others after hearing so many complains. The sculpted detail under those arm flaps is amazing though. Too bad most of them got hidden. So a plain jane Jazz doesn't look like much (used to dislike him so much). But when painted, you'll see all the details popping everywhere. Thats what I end up liking about him. The designers actually put some love on the sculpt, regardless the physical constraint of the short Solstice that made him a bit chubby.

I was really impressed with most of the movie figures. The Autobots especially were very well done. The Decepticons werent as great though.

Yeah. Most of the love went to the good guys. Pretty much any of the movie casdt Autobots are great in some ways. The Decepticons on the other hand not so great. The only figure I really like is Leader Brawl, while Megatron actually failed to impress...failed pretty miserably indeed.

Replica Prime running qualities:

Based on the "before" pics it looks like it was basically junkyard-quality. And most semis that old are on their 2nd engine, or at least a MAJOR engine overhaul. And the 1980's one in the movies would probably be the same way. But overall---they'd run pretty much the same. Engine tech was pretty stagnant from 80's to mid-90's AFAIK. Horsepower increase of course, a bit better fuel economy---but nothing major. And for sheer idling/running smoothness, suspension, transmission----nothing changed at all AFAIK.

PS--if I was to do something like that, I would have waited until the movie was out, or even better, the DVD. Why go through all that work and money and just GUESS at the paint scheme details, when you could just wait a bit? Plus the zillion of great reference pics from the Botcon appearance etc. Overall the blue is too pale, and there's not enough orange. And it needs the toolboxes, which should certainly fit if the steps are removed.

PS--if I was to do something like that, I would have waited until the movie was out, or even better, the DVD. Why go through all that work and money and just GUESS at the paint scheme details, when you could just wait a bit? Plus the zillion of great reference pics from the Botcon appearance etc. Overall the blue is too pale, and there's not enough orange. And it needs the toolboxes, which should certainly fit if the steps are removed.

Yeah, and seriously, WTF is with the TF bedsheets? I'd like to see the owner try to pick up chicks and bring them to the sleeper.

Those blue lights on Prime and Ironhide drive me nuts. I'm pretty sure a lot of states have laws against blue lights on non police vehicles.

Don't even think about blue lights on a semi on the road. You will NOT get away with it no matter how lucky you are. Unlike cars, trucks are subject to *frequent* inspections---every day if you need to weigh at the scales. It's easy to have illegal stuff on a car---just remove it the day before the annual inspection. But good luck trying to get around daily/weekly inspections...

I live in South florida so me and a friend went to take his kids to go see optimus Prime. It is parked in a truck body shop business. The guy was really nice and told me about how much work was on it... impressive work, indeed.

IMG_3718.JPG

One thing that I noticed is they removed the oil tank from the side of the cabin. There was a hole on it.

The ebay picture shows it with the tanks... so I think it is just for cosmetics

Edited by Limbo

That's not an oil tank, that's the air cleaner. And I've never seen one permanently removed from a factory installation. Is just the one on that side removed, or both sides? I don't know how/if it'll run with one removed, but there's no way it'd last very long with both removed, if at all. I honestly can't remember a semi's air intake routing---do both cleaners supply equally to both the engine and compressor, one to each, or does it go to the compressor then the engine, or engine then compressor? Will have to find that out.

No... Both were removed... And the place is in a bit rough neighborhood down miami, so maybe thats some sort of guetto security so ither that part or the whole truck doesnt get stolen overnight?

That's not an oil tank, that's the air cleaner. And I've never seen one permanently removed from a factory installation. Is just the one on that side removed, or both sides? I don't know how/if it'll run with one removed, but there's no way it'd last very long with both removed, if at all. I honestly can't remember a semi's air intake routing---do both cleaners supply equally to both the engine and compressor, one to each, or does it go to the compressor then the engine, or engine then compressor? Will have to find that out.

There's quicker/easier ways to disable a truck. Plus the sheer fact that no semi can be started up and ready to go quickly. If it's "cold" shutdown, you are not going to be able to turn the key (or hotwire it) and be ready to go in 30 secs. Takes several minutes (depending on remaining air pressure), maybe 5.

Now, it's possible they converted it to internal cleaners--but what's the point? Prime has big shiny external ones, it's an obvious feature. Why go to the work to make it LESS like Prime?

Or in short---I have no idea why it's like that.

I have a bit of an oddball question, but hey, no harm in asking, right?

What kind of reference, other than film stills are out there for the new Optimus Prime? Might there be anything along the lines of full 360 degree CG renders that could be put through a 3D printer by chance? Just in case someone out there might be interested in making a 1/24 scale model... Or something :ph34r:

Image removed
Dude, don't leech images off another site like that.

If you really want to show an image, then upload it onto your own web or image space or just link the URL.

The arms are a bit funny, like 2 flaps sandwiching the little hand instead of a solid limb. But I was surprised that I was not bothered by it as much as others after hearing so many complains. The sculpted detail under those arm flaps is amazing though. Too bad most of them got hidden. So a plain jane Jazz doesn't look like much (used to dislike him so much). But when painted, you'll see all the details popping everywhere. Thats what I end up liking about him. The designers actually put some love on the sculpt, regardless the physical constraint of the short Solstice that made him a bit chubby.
Have you considered getting Final Battle Jazz for his fairly movie accurate crescent cannon?

I have a bit of an oddball question, but hey, no harm in asking, right?

What kind of reference, other than film stills are out there for the new Optimus Prime? Might there be anything along the lines of full 360 degree CG renders that could be put through a 3D printer by chance? Just in case someone out there might be interested in making a 1/24 scale model... Or something :ph34r:

Ben Procter's site has a fair bit of information about the development of OP for the movie but I don't think there are any turntable animations for him, there are some of Bumblebee however.

Final Rendering of OP by ILM

The information you need for 3D printing (rapid prototyping) is actual 3D geometry data. Even when assembled the formatting needs to be very precise. It is also still extremely expensive for larger models. I think it was MW member Fulcy who had some RP done for his gerwalk model so maybe pick his brains about it.

I too look for ward to the day where I can just walk into a 3D Kinkos and print out a 1/24 Yamato valk. ;)

Thanks Tober.

The whole design is just insane: like a big rig just exploded into a zillion pieces. Heck, I can barely even discern 15% of the truck parts... Kinda makes me wonder if it's even practical to attempt something like this in small-scale resin.

The HD DVD also has a feature where they provide CG models of prime, megs, blackout and bumblebee that you can rotate 360, and zoom in fore closer detail shots. They don't transform though :(

That's bc/ there's probably really two different CGI models for the two modes... I still don't believe designs like Prime can actually transform.
They do use different models that are just robots and ones that are designed to transform to and from vehicle mode, and most of the characters have several different transformation sequences. ILM said they do cheat, and parts do shrink or enlarge as required, but they are chained together and move where they need to go during the animation.

They do use different models that are just robots and ones that are designed to transform to and from vehicle mode, and most of the characters have several different transformation sequences. ILM said they do cheat, and parts do shrink or enlarge as required, but they are chained together and move where they need to go during the animation.

Heh, so even for all the talk of being 'so real' and no mass-shifting etc etc, they still use an amount of good old fasioned 'anime magic' to get the job done.

If there hadn't been so many thousands of moving and shifting parts, I think they could have pulled off some perfectly realistic transformations and still retained interesting looking characters.

I'm not battying, I liked the movie. I just think it's funny that when all is said and done, there is still mass-shifting making it possible.

Heh, so even for all the talk of being 'so real' and no mass-shifting etc etc, they still use an amount of good old fasioned 'anime magic' to get the job done.

If there hadn't been so many thousands of moving and shifting parts, I think they could have pulled off some perfectly realistic transformations and still retained interesting looking characters.

I'm not battying, I liked the movie. I just think it's funny that when all is said and done, there is still mass-shifting making it possible.

When they said 'no mass shifting', they pretty much meant things that would be really noticeable such as Megatron turning into a hand gun or Soundwave into a cassette player. But, the All Spark's reformatting sequence, in my opinion, was partly to telegraph to the audience the very concept of mass shifting so they can work Soundwave into a sequel later on, so the audience doesn't like, laugh or something if Soundwave becomes small enough for Sam or somebody to carry.

I thought I read an interview where they said the only "cheating" was in having things that normally can't fold, be folded away and stuff. Like having glass or sheetmetal fold in half to be tucked away behind something.

I haven't heard or seen anything to indicate real mass shifting or "cheating" has occured...but admittedly I haven't been paying much attention.