Transformer Super Thread 6

I was able to score another 08 Concept BB at target yesterday. They also had about four of the 2 pack battle damaged bb's.

Same here. Just did a custom paint job too. Its really awesome for $10. And thanks to the very good sculpted details on 08 BB, the dry brush on the limbs turn out really good with minimum amount of work. Very easy to do. My Barricade on the other hand didn't fair so well. The legs shapes and sculpt just doesn't look so hot even with the paint job. They are too big and plain. While 08BB made a big leap on looks with some paint, Barricade just improved a little bit. This really shows how much more love was put into designing the 08BB toy, versus Barricade.

Same here. Just did a custom paint job too. Its really awesome for $10. And thanks to the very good sculpted details on 08 BB, the dry brush on the limbs turn out really good with minimum amount of work. Very easy to do. My Barricade on the other hand didn't fair so well. The legs shapes and sculpt just doesn't look so hot even with the paint job. They are too big and plain. While 08BB made a big leap on looks with some paint, Barricade just improved a little bit. This really shows how much more love was put into designing the 08BB toy, versus Barricade.

Post pics of your custom. I'd love to see them. I still need to pickup Barricade. I also want a G1 colored Jazz. I think that the 08 BB is my favorite of design of the movie toys.

If Hasbro does do a metallic Jazz like the BB Megs and Ratchet, he'll look amazing.

PS--saw the metallic BB figs today. Megs looks very nice with all the silver, I just don't like the design. But metallic Ratchet looks horrible in person. Puke-yellow-green-olive. Needs to be more green. Or more neon. Just not the color he is. The regular toy is kind of a weird color, but doesn't look as bad.

Question---what exact color is the 'real' Ratchet? Doesn't look like standard rescue/fire neon lime at all. Is there a more dull, olive-yellow color used by some cities that Ratchet matches?

I thought his colour scheme roughly approximated the colour used on rescue vehicles these days? I believe they're slowly replacing the usual red and white colours.

Btw, Tomy's first-half profits have doubled because of the Transformers movie line: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Yes, once again AMERICAN Transformers fiction is responsible for TF success in Japan.

Do you guys know what will happen next?

Japan will get crazy ideas and fart it all up. History shows this.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Meh, I happen to like Japan's 'crazy ideas' with the Transformers line just as much as what happens in the US. And what's the point of trumpeting USA! USA! USA! with the TF brand anyway? I've heard it before and I guess I don't get it. Both Japan and the US have made bad decisions and they've both made good decisions. Is there some kind of rivalry or something?

Edited by eriku

I think FFN's grudge against the Japanese side of Transformers has been how a lot of the lack of success on that side has been so detrimental to the American side in more than a few cases. I can certainly relate, the only TF lines I've been excited about in ages have been the Alternators and the Masterpiece lines, and it seems the Alternators are gone primarily because they did so poorly in Japan (by all accounts, it sounded to me as if they were doing great over here in the west).

On the other hand, I don't give Hasbro a free pass. I really dislike the photos of the American MP Starscream, with the garishly bright colours and horribly down "battle damage". Unfortunately, nostalgia seems just as powerful in Japan so I doubt we'll see the first run colour scheme done with the structural improvements used in Skywarp. I know I'm in the minority here, but I really liked the Takara Starscream colours.

japan's ideas for the TF series blow all american ideas out of the water.

hasbro is the main culprit for screwing over the TF license.

Ideas or stories? Because story wise, Japan has a pretty craptacular record with the TF franchise. Armada was insulting, Energon was boring, and Cybertron barely managed to be mediocre. Car Robots was plain old silly, and for the first time ever, an American dub improved a Japanese show from silly stupid to silly fun. I liked Headmasters, but it was definitely a downward slope from season 3. I've never seen Victory or Masterforce.

Idea wise, you may be right. Although the movie designs were a refreshing new change from the norm. Not sure who deserves all the credit for that though.

Oh, it's the actual cartoons that is spawning all the US vs. Japan TF nonsense? I guess I often just focus on the toys since I've never liked any of the TF cartoons, regardless of who did them (aside from likeing G1 as a kid of course).

Toy-wise I like many of Takaras ideas. And we can't really use Binaltech as an example of Takara mishandling the license just because Binaltech didn't do well in Japan. If they did that poorly over there it's not because Takara made a bad product, it's because fans just didn't want to buy them. I assume KissPlay was Takaras attempt to appeal more to the Japanese fans, but even if that didn't work it's still not really Takara's fault so much as it is fickle fans. At least Takara tried to keep it alive. Actually...isnt' Binaltech technically still alive there with the clear Mirage that was just released? It's dead here.

And overall, is there really that big of a problem? We're getting tons of cool TF toys here from Hasbro, Takara is still making really cool TF toys that we can import...am I missing something?

Edited by eriku

From the little that I've seen, I do agree that Japanese TF anime shows in general are not that good. Too juvenille. They just don't seem to have the focus like they do on other anime shows. GaoGaiGar is a show with a lot of transfoming stuff, tailored for kids, but still very enjoyable and quite hot blooded for grown ups. The TF shows lacked that.

However, I don't find the U.S. shows do exceptionally well either. Passable, but nothing to be glorified about. The animated movie back then was great when we were young, but don't seem so hot when rewatching it today. But when it comes to a big budget Hollywood movie, U.S. wins hands down. Japanese live action movies still don't quite match up in terms of quality and polish from what I've seen.

But in terms of toy development, its obvious who is the winner.

Oh, it's the actual cartoons that is spawning all the US vs. Japan TF nonsense? I guess I often just focus on the toys since I've never liked any of the TF cartoons, regardless of who did them (aside from likeing G1 as a kid of course).

Toy-wise I like many of Takaras ideas. And we can't really use Binaltech as an example of Takara mishandling the license just because Binaltech didn't do well in Japan. If they did that poorly over there it's not because Takara made a bad product, it's because fans just didn't want to buy them. I assume KissPlay was Takaras attempt to appeal more to the Japanese fans, but even if that didn't work it's still not really Takara's fault so much as it is fickle fans. At least Takara tried to keep it alive. Actually...isnt' Binaltech technically still alive there with the clear Mirage that was just released? It's dead here.

And overall, is there really that big of a problem? We're getting tons of cool TF toys here from Hasbro, Takara is still making really cool TF toys that we can import...am I missing something?

Price was the biggest complaint listed. Rather than cutting the price, Takara cut out the die-cast content of the toys, but then kept the price the same. Japanese fans were importing the American toys. Kiss Players apparently did better, but the price was still high with no die-cast content, so....meh.

Clear Mirage is a repaint. Hasbro cancelled the line because Takara isn't making any new molds. One of the last things Takara did was eff up the pickup truck mold by deciding it must be Prime, then they almost didn't release it themselves. Otherwise it likely would have been Ironhide which would have made those of us who already are quite content with our MP Primes leading our Alternators much happier.

I for one am glad that they made Prime as the Dodge Pickup. Not too stoke about the red Prime, but love the Nemesis Prime I got out of that mold, and a great homage head they paid to the Ginrai. In Japan, it was originally meant to be a BT/Alt Ginrai rather than Prime. But they changed it back to Prime/Convoy, as its a more recognized character Japan or Overseas. But without this mold, we won't have the Nemesis. :p

Edited by mpchi

Meh, I happen to like Japan's 'crazy ideas' with the Transformers line just as much as what happens in the US. And what's the point of trumpeting USA! USA! USA! with the TF brand anyway? I've heard it before and I guess I don't get it. Both Japan and the US have made bad decisions and they've both made good decisions. Is there some kind of rivalry or something?

Actually I think its more of resentment towards fans always thinking Takara is our best friend and does everything in their power to do so compared to Hasbro, which isn't really true.

There is resentment towards Takara's handling of the franchise, not so much the design aspect of the toys, nor their catering towards collectors(because they don't have many kids to cater to due to the dwindling birth rate). Takara made sure that the last 3 series were year long rather than seasonal. Hasbro did not want Cybertron to last more than 26 episodes, but due to Takara, they had to compromise. Since Armada, the goals of Hasbro always had to be compromised with Takara's. That is why a lot of people are glad that Animated will be written here to satisfy the target market here. The last TF story written for TV here was Beast Machines, and as bad as it was, many view it as a better written show than the Armada trilogy. Had Armada gone the way Takara wanted, it would have been a continuation of G1's "Rebirth" miniseries.

In essence, its basically resentment towards Takara's handling of the franchise. Beast Wars is regarded as the last best TF tv series. No one really complains much about Takara's designs and aesthetics, its the companies they choose to write their stories, and there is a pattern of unsuccessfulness in that regard.

Actually I think its more of resentment towards fans always thinking Takara is our best friend and does everything in their power to do so compared to Hasbro, which isn't really true.

There is resentment towards Takara's handling of the franchise, not so much the design aspect of the toys, nor their catering towards collectors(because they don't have many kids to cater to due to the dwindling birth rate). Takara made sure that the last 3 series were year long rather than seasonal. Hasbro did not want Cybertron to last more than 26 episodes, but due to Takara, they had to compromise. Since Armada, the goals of Hasbro always had to be compromised with Takara's. That is why a lot of people are glad that Animated will be written here to satisfy the target market here. The last TF story written for TV here was Beast Machines, and as bad as it was, many view it as a better written show than the Armada trilogy. Had Armada gone the way Takara wanted, it would have been a continuation of G1's "Rebirth" miniseries.

In essence, its basically resentment towards Takara's handling of the franchise. Beast Wars is regarded as the last best TF tv series. No one really complains much about Takara's designs and aesthetics, its the companies they choose to write their stories, and there is a pattern of unsuccessfulness in that regard.

Beast Wars > Beast Machines and Armada.

with the encore releases and sky lynx being part of the series, maybe there will be a reissue bumblebee or scorponok or more reissues that don't parallel the movie characters

Ideas or stories? Because story wise, Japan has a pretty craptacular record with the TF franchise. Armada was insulting, Energon was boring, and Cybertron barely managed to be mediocre. Car Robots was plain old silly, and for the first time ever, an American dub improved a Japanese show from silly stupid to silly fun. I liked Headmasters, but it was definitely a downward slope from season 3. I've never seen Victory or Masterforce.

Idea wise, you may be right. Although the movie designs were a refreshing new change from the norm. Not sure who deserves all the credit for that though.

When you say Armada, Energon and Cybertron, are you talking about the US versions or are you referring to Micron Legends, Superlink and Galaxy Force. Granted the original japanese versions of those 3 series were not great, but Hasbro/whoever was in charge of the voice over/script absolutly butcherd the story. Same thing with Car Robots. TF2000 was a lot better story wise.

I agree with you 110% about headmaster going downhill about halfway through the series, but i HIGHLY recommend watching Masterforce and Victory...they are masterpieces. Great voice acting, great animation. I really believe that MF and Victory were the high points of animation in the TF line. none of the half animated half CG crap.

I also agree that over the past few years, TF series have become WAY too juvenile...almost to the point where its impossible to watch. I guess the producers think that the original TF fans have moved on and they are trying to open up to a newer younger audience.

I agree with you 110% about headmaster going downhill about halfway through the series, but i HIGHLY recommend watching Masterforce and Victory...they are masterpieces. Great voice acting, great animation. I really believe that MF and Victory were the high points of animation in the TF line. none of the half animated half CG crap.

Masterforce and Victory were actually decent. They were surely better than Armada, Energon and Cybertron(Watching Cybertron at 6:00am was a torture.)

Other than that, only ones I liked were G1 and Beast Wars.

But the thing is though, I don't necessarily associate TF toys with animated shows.

I still liked RID and Cybertron toys despite the fact that I didn't even watch car robots.

For the record, I am not done watching these series yet but I like Victory and Masterforce a lot. I did not watch much of Armada, Energon and Cybertron. Armada became dissapointing and I stopped watching, I forget which episode. Energon was better, but I didn't make an attempt to keep up after the 1st episodes. Cybertron was alright, I used to watch it before class in college, but I did not keep up.

A lot of fans think Animated could be the next Beast Wars, which are huges shoes to fill. I think it has much promise, however it will take a lot to beat Beast Wars. I don't want to predict anything too early, but we'll see how Animated turns out. Already it seems better than the armadaverse. I like the modernized g1 theme song.

Quick Warning. . .

Some overtly political material was deleted from this thread earlier this evening by a Moderator.

Political discussions have always been forbidden on these forums.

Section III: Never Allowed/Forbidden

Violation of items in this section will result in deletion and/or banning.

1. No religious or political debates.

If you want to talk politics go to the proper outside forum. Not everyone shares your beliefs. Nothing starts more arguments then these kinds of debates. They have value but they have no value here.

Please kindly knock it off.

And, for the record, when another member points out a blatant and verifiable rules violation. . . the proper thing to do is to cease breaking the rule. . . not attempt to taunt the other member into also violating the same rule while demanding that a Moderator tell you to your face that you're breaking it.

P.S. We've actually (for quite some time now) been in the process of updating and clarifying the entire MW Rules & Guidelines document. Expect it to be posted soon, and more prominently.

Masterforce and Victory were actually decent. They were surely better than Armada, Energon and Cybertron(Watching Cybertron at 6:00am was a torture.)

Other than that, only ones I liked were G1 and Beast Wars.

But the thing is though, I don't necessarily associate TF toys with animated shows.

I still liked RID and Cybertron toys despite the fact that I didn't even watch car robots.

i know some of you might not be thrilled about this idea, but if you have not seen MF and victory, watch the original japanese versions. No dubbing, no subs. Its not hard to tell what is going on, and you dont have the god awful american voice overs.

I just saw that the first series of Classics are being released in Japan, which is cool for the fans there. Does anyone think there will be any differences between those and the US versions?

Also, has there been a Japanese release of the 08BB? Since I may have to resort to online for that guy I may as well get the Japanese version if there is one.

I reckon the WHOLE of G1 should be redone as Classics. This is what TFs were meant to be like. Five point articulation in the old toys is what sucks and prevented me from buying them.

I reckon the WHOLE of G1 should be redone as Classics. This is what TFs were meant to be like. Five point articulation in the old toys is what sucks and prevented me from buying them.

Definitely. While I'll always have a special place in my heart for G1 toys, their immobility was always a let-down, even when I was a kid. Not that I couldn't use my imagination or didn't enjoy them at that age, because I played the CRAP out of them, but I do specifically remember wishing the legs moved on more of them. One of my dream lines has always been G1 toys with added articulation, where they would alter certain G1 molds to give them seperate movable legs and stuff like that. But I'll take Classics as a substitute to that silly dream. :)

Definitely. While I'll always have a special place in my heart for G1 toys, their immobility was always a let-down, even when I was a kid. Not that I couldn't use my imagination or didn't enjoy them at that age, because I played the CRAP out of them, but I do specifically remember wishing the legs moved on more of them. One of my dream lines has always been G1 toys with added articulation, where they would alter certain G1 molds to give them seperate movable legs and stuff like that. But I'll take Classics as a substitute to that silly dream.

Both Quoted For Truth! I always felt the same way... why not just re-do the G1 figs with added articulation? How hard could it be?

I just saw that the first series of Classics are being released in Japan, which is cool for the fans there. Does anyone think there will be any differences between those and the US versions?

Also, has there been a Japanese release of the 08BB? Since I may have to resort to online for that guy I may as well get the Japanese version if there is one.

BBTS has heard that Takara may make the Classics more show accurate in paint apps. This is a rumor so far, but thats what they heard, and they are looking into it for verification.

I passed on Astrotrain and Megatron regrettably thinking they would get show accurate g1 colors. This might be my chance to make up for that mistake.

'08BB has been out in Japan. BBTS sold out quickly despite much higher price(getting from ebay is cheaper).

Not sure if there are any differences unlike '74BB.

I passed on Astrotrain and Megatron regrettably thinking they would get show accurate g1 colors. This might be my chance to make up for that mistake.

Astrotrain would be cool as it's one of the best molds. I wonder though, if megatron has to be pluged...

I hope Japanese release would do seekers with show accurate Dirge.

P.S. I found an interesting note on that product scan. Sky Lynx mold was somehow ended up in Tomy's warehouse after 80's. Takara-Tomy merge made it possible to do Sky Lynx again.

BBTS has heard that Takara may make the Classics more show accurate in paint apps. This is a rumor so far, but thats what they heard, and they are looking into it for verification.

That would indeed be very cool. I'd gladly kick my current Classics Megs to the curb in favor of one in a more G1ish deco.

Ditto for BB if they do him solid yellow without the pearly white paint apps.

I haven't been able to find an 08BB on my own, but fortunately, my friend who works at TRU was able to get me one. I was able to find the two pack BB at my local Target though.

I've passed up the 2-pack many times already. I really want a 08BB, but the one in the 2-pack looks dreadful to me. I really hate factory painted 'battle damage'.

I've passed up the 2-pack many times already. I really want a 08BB, but the one in the 2-pack looks dreadful to me. I really hate factory painted 'battle damage'.

I was going to pass up on it, but i figure i could always break out my air brush and put it to work.

the only thing i have heard so far...from Seibertron.com is that the classics Megatron will be Black and grey...not the god awful neon colors of the US release.

the only thing i have heard so far...from Seibertron.com is that the classics Megatron will be Black and grey...not the god awful neon colors of the US release.

Not 100% confirmed yet. Joel at BBTS is trying to get pics but he believes that will be Megatrons new colors.