Transformer Super Thread 6

Oh? Where did you get them from? I wouldn't expect it to be easy to get Alternators Rodimus in Sydney, but I remember seeing a whole bunch of Optimus at Hobbyco some time ago. Rodimus is pretty cool, but I just wished they went with the Kissple colours instead. Somehow those racing stripes and darker red just gives it a cooler finish.

This is a post from Bumble Prime on TFW2005 regarding MPSS:

The black wing joints on the usa is leaps and bounds ahead and doesnt look like its breaking anytime soon. All in all the usa version fixed all the loose gaps in jet mode. (the air brake on mine sticks up a little but i think this is a one off problem not a mold problem.) All of the plastic feels a lot better than mp3. Although the red plastic on the boobs does seem to be a little thin, mine has a factory stress mark, but i manhandled it a bit and doesnt seem to be getting worse.

Heh, Hasbro probably thought that it "looked pretty sharp" that way. :rolleyes:
I'm sure a Hasbro suit looked at it and said, "why don't you throw something in there to break up all that grey?"

And then he greenlighted a few more grey movie toys because he's insane like that.

Surely you guys have heard of gang-molding parts, right?

Likely, the hinges are on the same sprue as another part that Hasbro changed to the same colour. Likely, look for a part on Takara MP SS that was once green that is now black on Hasbro MP SS, and you'll have your answer.

hasbro is KNOWN for their horrible paint jobs and color choices.
I'd say Hasbro is more imaginative than say, Takara is. Imagination is a good thing when making a children's toyline, and exemplified in the fact Hasbro is the company actually having success with Transformers.

If they were gang-molding could they not have put the wing hinges on a mold with most of the rest of the pieces that make up Starscream? Takara was able to work some kind of strange magic to make their wing hinges the same color as the rest of the wing, perhaps when they passed their notes on to Hasbro that page was lost.

As for hasbro's color choices, well...there are real imaginative uses of color and then there are just plain bad uses of color and this goes for every product market out there, not just toys.

Edited by eriku

If they were gang-molding could they not have put the wing hinges on a mold with most of the rest of the pieces that make up Starscream? Takara was able to work some kind of strange magic to make their wing hinges the same color as the rest of the wing, perhaps when they passed their notes on to Hasbro that page was lost.

As for hasbro's color choices, well...there are real imaginative uses of color and then there are just plain bad uses of color and this goes for every product market out there, not just toys.

I meant that the hinges are black (most likely) because they are part of another sprue of parts that Hasbro has made black for aesthetic purposes and the wing hinges were the trade-off. This entirely sprue was hull-coloured on Takara's Starscream. Now, this means a bunch of parts on Starscream that were once hull green are now black. Find them, and you find the sprue companions of the hinges.

Well, in most Transformers Hasbro doesn't specifically cater to collectors, since that's a kind of a small and relatively unimportant market, so they go with colour schemes they think will appeal to kids and/or fits the theme of the toyline, but occassionally do G1 colour schemes as nods to the adult fans and/or because it simply fits the toy.

Well, in most Transformers Hasbro doesn't specifically cater to collectors, since that's a kind of a small and relatively unimportant market, so they go with colour schemes they think will appeal to kids and/or fits the theme of the toyline, but occassionally do G1 colour schemes as nods to the adult fans and/or because it simply fits the toy.

I agree with a lot of points you stated in your posts, but when it comes to MP Starscream specifically, I don't know who else Hasbro is trying to catering it to other than collectors, when its a toy that is an exclusive unreplenishable limited run (good luck finding one kids, if you don't drive a car & with lots of gas money), a toy most 10-year-old can destroy in minutes, and was marketed to adults only in Japan. :lol: Don't really see that as a good excuse for the black hinges.

Edited by mpchi

Fo sho. I go down to the bay quite often, so if everything works out one of us could save on shipping charges. ^_^

Good news. I found Starscream.

Bad news. There was only ONE on the shelf.

I'll still keep my eyes open man. If I find another one it's all yours. :ph34r:

Okay...you guys have probably seen these, but I still get a good laugh watching 'em:

Shockwave's Burden

The Rude Awakening Of Optimus Prime

SOS Wheeljack

Heavy Metal Fight

Decepticons Superior (featuring Soundwave)

This one's pretty disturbing :blink:

Edited by Ratchet

I agree with a lot of points you stated in your posts, but when it comes to MP Starscream specifically, I don't know who else Hasbro is trying to catering it to other than collectors, when its a toy that is an exclusive unreplenishable limited run (good luck finding one kids, if you don't drive a car & with lots of gas money), a toy most 10-year-old can destroy in minutes, and was marketed to adults only in Japan. :lol: Don't really see that as a good excuse for the black hinges.
MP Starscream is 'meant' for collectors', but Hasbro basically flogs it to everybody. For example, they never specifically targeted collectors for Alternators, because there was too small market for them to risk such an expensive line upon (apparently they sunk over a million dollars into developing it because at the time Hasbro was funding Transformers development while Takara was lingering on it's death bed).

The excuse for the black hinges I already explained that it's likely they made some other/i] parts somewhere else black, which had the result of making the hinges on the same sprue black.

UN Spacy, did you find MP Starscream in the Bay Area? If you did then you're the first I've heard of seeing SS in California.

Good news. I found Starscream.

Bad news. There was only ONE on the shelf.

I'll still keep my eyes open man. If I find another one it's all yours. :ph34r:

So far all of the Hasbro Masterpiece Starscreams are starting to flood ebay or perhaps evil-bay. So far all of them are coming out of Texas. One seller has like 4 of them up for sale. These scalpers are just plain evil towards the rest of the fandom especially those in Texas who couldn't get one of these because some guy decided to buy Wal-Mart's whole stock. I'm over here in Southern California and I live about 1 block away from Wal-Mart so I'll keep everyone posted if I come across one. if I find some I'll surely tell all of the So Cal fans to come on down.

Well, that is just prime, if the original price is just 50 bucks I will have to jump on one if i am lucky enough to see one in the store... by the way i am in Texas, and I am not seeing any of the newest stuff so far around here...

Okay...you guys have probably seen these, but I still get a good laugh watching 'em:

Shockwave's Burden

The Rude Awakening Of Optimus Prime

SOS Wheeljack

Heavy Metal Fight

Decepticons Superior (featuring Soundwave)

This one's pretty disturbing :blink:

Actually I had a dedicated post about these a few months back!

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...=rude+awakening

Funny stuff. :)

Starscream is on bbts now... for $94. As far as I can tell it IS NOT the Japanese version. Shame on bbts!

Yeah, they're probably going to screw all of us collectors in the Minneapolis area by having their agents cherry picking the shelves for this figure. They say right on the page for this figure that they are providing this 'service' for people who don't have WalMarts around. I've used BBTS for years and have really enjoyed their service, but this particular service does a great disservice to the local collectors here. I think I'll show my support by cancelling all of my preorders with them and not buying from them anymore.

Edited by eriku

Yeah, they're probably going to screw all of us collectors in the Minneapolis area by having their agents cherry picking the shelves for this figure. They say right on the page for this figure that they are providing this 'service' for people who don't have WalMarts around. I've used BBTS for years and have really enjoyed their service, but this particular service does a great disservice to the local collectors here. I think I'll show my support by cancelling all of my preorders with them and not buying from them anymore.

Yeah, no kidding. I saw you posted in the thread over @ TFW. I feel for you guys. Besides, who doesn't have a Wal-Mart near them? You'd have to live in the middle of nowhere. Even North Dakota has Wal-Marts all over the place.

So far Fargo doesn't have any. How about the Cities?

Yeah, no kidding. I saw you posted in the thread over @ TFW. I feel for you guys. Besides, who doesn't have a Wal-Mart near them? You'd have to live in the middle of nowhere. Even North Dakota has Wal-Marts all over the place.

So far Fargo doesn't have any. How about the Cities?

Nothing yet, although a couple people have checked with stores that supposedly have 18 coming in. We've got a little group thing going on over at TFW to help people get one of these. My main focus is to help local people get them. Fargo is close enough for me to consider local (actually most of my friends went to Moorhead state and skateboarded the sh!t out of Fargo for years), I'll let you know if I get an extra.

Nothing yet, although a couple people have checked with stores that supposedly have 18 coming in. We've got a little group thing going on over at TFW to help people get one of these. My main focus is to help local people get them. Fargo is close enough for me to consider local (actually most of my friends went to Moorhead state and skateboarded the sh!t out of Fargo for years), I'll let you know if I get an extra.

Neato. I gave a buddy of mine who works at Wal-Mart the upc, so hopefully I'll find out if they are going to get any. The toy department was pretty clueless when he asked them about it.

sine the onine stores are all selling this for a fortune, along with the ebay scalpers, Ima probably just wait for the takara release to come out and see how it looks. If it's the same price anyways, and potentially doesn't have black hinges, silver bits, and weathering, it's money well spent.

Not that any of those things really bother me in the grand scheme of things.

it does seem odd that all the things that took extra cost and effort to put on are all the things no one wants.

On unrelated news, Death Star Vader is out... got mine at walmart. It is a batty to snap the egg-death star mode in place.

In case people don't understand that sentence, for some reason "bitch" is in the word filter, and it replaces it with "batty".

On unrelated news, Death Star Vader is out... got mine at walmart. It is a batty to snap the egg-death star mode in place.

The trade-off is that he's perfectly spherical when you do finally get him there, which I thought was pretty cool. The electronics are also very well implimented. The only thing I don't like is the little Tie Fighters. The wings are misaligned, and the "minicon" mode looks pretty awful.

The excuse for the black hinges I already explained that it's likely they made some other/i] parts somewhere else black, which had the result of making the hinges on the same sprue black.

Which would be pretty darn stupid of the mold designers given they'd almost invariably planned for a cartoon color scheme when they made the mold(I seem to recall discussion about it having mounting points for a crown and cloak), and they've ALREADY started doing repaints for the rest of the seekers.

Personally, I'd bet Hasbro made the hinge pieces black for some sort of durability reason(I don't recall hearing about them being failure points, but...).

Which would be pretty darn stupid of the mold designers given they'd almost invariably planned for a cartoon color scheme when they made the mold(I seem to recall discussion about it having mounting points for a crown and cloak), and they've ALREADY started doing repaints for the rest of the seekers.

Personally, I'd bet Hasbro made the hinge pieces black for some sort of durability reason(I don't recall hearing about them being failure points, but...).

Possibly, depending on what material is used. For flexible durability, they usually use Polyamide(PA), also known as 'unpaintable plastic'.

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Unpaintable_plastic