Transformer Super Thread 6

Fun fact: The Real Gear toys were originally created in line with the designs of the Cybertron, but held back, presumably to take advantage of the fact everyday devices turn into Transformers in the movie. That's why the Real Gear Toys have the traditional Transformers design style.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Can't... resist urge... to get Leader Prime and paint it 20.gif

Great job you've done on your TFs, mpchi!

Ok, since Spanish stores have even less Movie TF than the rest of the world (and boy are they choking on Spiderman and Pirates crap for that), I'll have to go to EvilBay for my movie fix. Three questions:

- I've seen there's a special bundle of leader prime and a mini Jazz and Bumblebee: does that Prime have any fixes or is it the same as the normal one?

- Any difference between the Takara and Hasbro versions (better colour aplications...)?

- From what mpchi says, Prime is $40 in retail on the US, right?

Yeah, Leader Prime is usually priced US$40. The Leader Prime bundle with a mini Jazz and Bumblebee is the Costco exclusive that is actually cheaper, going for $35, since Costco is a big discount store chain. So don't go for the ones with high markup. From what I know, the Prime in it is exactly the same as the regular version. And in terms of Leader Prime, the Takara version is the same as US, minus an added sticker or something on the package.

Edited by mpchi

Yeah, Leader Prime is usually priced US$40. The Leader Prime bundle with a mini Jazz and Bumblebee is the Costco exclusive that is actually cheaper, going for $35, since Costco is a big discount store chain. So don't go for the ones with high markup. From what I know, the Prime in it is exactly the same as the regular version. And in terms of Leader Prime, the Takara version is the same as US, minus an added sticker or something on the package.

Thanks for the info mpchi ^_^ . One thing:

How's the leg movement on Prime? Do the knee joints have a lot of freedom? All the pics I've seen of Prime have him with little or no crouching poses (maybe it's just a balance issue).

How's the leg movement on Prime? Do the knee joints have a lot of freedom? All the pics I've seen of Prime have him with little or no crouching poses (maybe it's just a balance issue).

There is some basic articulation in the knees. Nothing super. Also the way the tires hang off the legs makes it hard to do much with him in terms of crouching poses.

One nice thing about Leader Prime is that the rear wheels have enough movement to get them out of the way when posing. The wheel assembly even has a joint in the middle so that lower portion of the assembly can be angled 90 degrees. The kibble will be even more of an eyesore in some positions. There isn't a lot of movement in the feet even though ball joints are used. Balance is also an issue. All the weight is in the chest which makes for a high center of gravity.

Really? I thought Prime balance really well. The knees bend about your standard 80-90 degree. Nothing too impressive, but decent enough. The ankle ball joints on mind is very sturdy and tight, as if re-inforced by spring inside. So don't expect it to be a revoltech, but the joints on Prime is good enough to pull some good action pose, without worrying about falling. The knees and ankles can bend quite a bit more than shown in this pic, while the figure won't get knock down unless you really push it hard. And you can move the wheels so they don't get in the way and flaps backwards.

IMG_4260.jpg

Mark your calendars, folks. According to a newsletter, Transformers comes to DVD and HD DVD on October 16.

I'd rather mark my calendar with the release of all the stupid figures I didn't buy/couldn't find the first time around. Damn you Ironhide!

My local WalMart had TONS of Transformers out today!

But not from the movie. Seems their warehouse was a mess and they failed to get a few cases of Classic and Cybertron toys out for clearance. So they had tons of Classic Prime, Jetfire, Cliffjumper, Mirage, miscellaneous Cybertron Deluxes, AND an endcap half-full of Masterpiece Primes.

Of course, with all the movie hype, this'll probably work out well for them. Any Transformers are better than none(unless they're Cyber Slammers).

My walmart had Longarm, payload, and dropkick and leader brawl, as well as dreadwing. I'm going to head down to walmart again tomorrow, if anyone is interested in any of those PM me and I'll see if they are still there.

I went to Walmart, K-mart, and Target today. The G1 Jazz repaints are hot, but other than that, all I saw were a few of the deluxes from the video game. Oh, and a Fallen. Tempting, but I didn't really have the money on me.

got mp skywarp the other day. the package seems to be the same size as mp optimus. was this how big mp starscream's box was? in any case it looks cool. also noticed there is a small picture of mp megatron. guess it isn't a big deal enough to get customs to notice.

Dropkick is probably the best Decepticon drone. I have a hard time deciding if he is better than Dreadwing and Wreckage. He is definitely better than Swindle. Swindle grew on me over time, but he is still one of the least impressive deluxe figures.

Guys, what do you think of Titanium Magnus? I was debating picking him and Rodimus up. However knowing that they were designed by the star wars tf/galoob team rather than the main tf team, I have yet to pick up any titaniums. The shoulders on Magnus, as well as the pushed forward look of Rodimus were the main drawbacks for me.

Dropkick is pretty cool, I may have to pick him up next time I see him.

You guys are so lucky. I could only find Cheetor, Optimal Optimus, and the Fallen. I really want Ultra Magnus, WW Megatron, and Rodimus Prime.

Guys, what do you think of Titanium Magnus? I was debating picking him and Rodimus up. However knowing that they were designed by the star wars tf/galoob team rather than the main tf team, I have yet to pick up any titaniums. The shoulders on Magnus, as well as the pushed forward look of Rodimus were the main drawbacks for me.

The first run sucked big, but it seems they've ironed out the plastic to die cast ratio and improved the joints. Long story short, I only own three, I hate GI Joe Megatron, I barely tolerate WW Prime, but I really love RID Prime.

Magnus is only my second Titanium. I tried the "thigh swap" but I think I'm going to swap it back. It does give him knees, but messes up truck mode I think. (He can bend his knees slightly as he comes, the swap trick gives about 45 degrees)

Still trying to figure out if something got dropped during development. The chestplate flips up, but can't quite stay up all the way due to the head and closeness of the tractor. If there was another hinge, or something was 2mm further away it'd all be great. I plan to very soon paint a lot of silver accents for truck mode.

Dropkick just rocks, best toy I've had in a while. How many deluxes have 16-step instructions? Automorph causes doors not to stay fully locked in truck mode, and right shoulder won't stay in place in robot mode. Clear nail polish to the rescue! (Hopefully).

Warning: be careful of the hinges for the sides of the truck bed. My right one REALLY didn't want to bend as shown in the instructions,(2nd-to-last step or so) to the point that I thought the instructions were wrong. It popped off, and while it snapped back on, I've got a heck of a stress mark now, quite visible in all modes.

I like titanium UM. For some reason, I have most of the titaniums, missing Cheetor (which I want), and the Megatrons (which I dont) and Scourge (which I am ambivalent about).

If anyone is interested in trading a MISB UM or Fallen or some combination with cash for a MISB Cheetor let me know. I am on the SS list and my ebay name is silvershamrock.

Warning: be careful of the hinges for the sides of the truck bed. My right one REALLY didn't want to bend as shown in the instructions,(2nd-to-last step or so) to the point that I thought the instructions were wrong. It popped off, and while it snapped back on, I've got a heck of a stress mark now, quite visible in all modes.

Actually don't feel too bad about that stress mark. I have 2, as I liked him so much I wanted one to play with and another to keep MISP. I can't speak for every single one the market, but a good chunk of the ones I've seen still MISP have that stress mark. So I'm willing to bet it is not your fault.

Edited by GobotFool