Knight Rider the Movie (and Series)

wolfx

I was hoping to like the show, but in the end it was pretty stale and boring. There was a commercial every 8-10 minutes, and the commercials were non-stop Ford & KITT as well. The tech in the show was interesting, but KITT wasn't really interesting and was pretty dull compared to the original and the new hero was completely unlikeable to me. Mike Tracer was missing any humor or even the cheesiness of Michael Knight. I was amped up to listen to a possibly updated theme song of the show, but they just used a couple bars then went all weak-metal rock for the intro.

I'm going to guess that this show doesn't even run as long as the re-imagined Bionic Woman series. At least that one had a good pilot and interesting couple episodes until it latched into run-of-the-mill "Alias"-type episodes.

You guys just hate everything. It was EXACTLY like the original Knight Rider, except with a lamer car. Yeah, I get that most of you wouldn't watch classic Knight Rider now either. Maybe you guys have something against talking cars. But the fact stands that even if you hated it, it's still better than 90% of the garbage on TV these days.

Seriously, I post with a bunch of Comic Book Guys...

Not enough Hoff.

That just goes without saying.

You guys just hate everything. It was EXACTLY like the original Knight Rider, except with a lamer car. Yeah, I get that most of you wouldn't watch classic Knight Rider now either. Maybe you guys have something against talking cars. But the fact stands that even if you hated it, it's still better than 90% of the garbage on TV these days.

Seriously, I post with a bunch of Comic Book Guys...

That just goes without saying.

not true! The mustang may not be a good KITT, but a shelby cobra is infinitely cooler than a trans am. Actually, I don't even care that KITT is a mustang.

Edited by eugimon

For me 3 things make the 80's show and any reimaging of it (ie. KR, Airwolf, A-Team, Magnum P.I, etc).

1) the loner characters/group (Michael Knight, Stringfellow Hawke, A-Team, Magnum)

2) the signature vehicle (suped up car, super helicopter, the Van, the Ferrari)

3) the theme music - plays during the pivotal point in the show

They got 1 and 2 down. What this version lacked was.....the Knight Rider theme music. The moment you hear the theme music it pumps you up for the finaly. If they had the KR theme music during the car chase scene it would have felt like Knight Rider. Right now it feels like a generic bad spy show.

Also there just doesn't seem to be a buddy buddy rapport between Michael and Kitt. That was always half the fun of KR. The other half was Hasslehoff hitting on the ladies when he was supposed to be doing spy stuff. This Michael Knight seems to bitter to be a ladies man.

For me 3 things make the 80's show and any reimaging of it (ie. KR, Airwolf, A-Team, Magnum P.I, etc).

1) the loner characters/group (Michael Knight, Stringfellow Hawke, A-Team, Magnum)

2) the signature vehicle (suped up car, super helicopter, the Van, the Ferrari)

3) the theme music - plays during the pivotal point in the show

They got 1 and 2 down. What this version lacked was.....the Knight Rider theme music. The moment you hear the theme music it pumps you up for the finaly. If they had the KR theme music during the car chase scene it would have felt like Knight Rider. Right now it feels like a generic bad spy show.

Also there just doesn't seem to be a buddy buddy rapport between Michael and Kitt. That was always half the fun of KR. The other half was Hasslehoff hitting on the ladies when he was supposed to be doing spy stuff. This Michael Knight seems to bitter to be a ladies man.

I agree with the theme music thing, with the additional add that they need to work on their theme music. It starts out okay, and I'm fine with a more modern take on the original song, but it's gotta retain more elements than just the beginning instead of switching to noise.

As for the buddy rapport, Knight and the original KITT didn't have it at first either. IIRC, they were a little antagonistic toward each other at first, but by the end of the pilot they learned they could rely on each other. While we didn't get anything overt, I'm hoping to see that buddy rapport if/when they continue the series.

I think James Bond is the only guy who's allowed to constantly score with the ladies. Maybe because he's British? You really don't see any James Kirks or Michael Knights anymore. I think the PC crowd has a lot of influence in the TV/movie industry, and they're probably concerned with some bull like the hero is dehumanizing women by scoring with a different one each week. So the macho male lead is replaced with the angsty male lead.

not true! The mustang may not be a good KITT, but a shelby cobra is infinitely cooler than a trans am. Actually, I don't even care that KITT is a mustang.

Trans Ams beat Mustangs any day. I don't care if they're Ford, Shelby, or Saleen.

Honestly, if you compare the modern Mustang with a lot of different cars today, sure it's sporty, but not outstanding.

But back in the 80's, when most cars were still boxy, the Trans Am was like having a banana split when everyone else had a vanilla cone.

Trans Ams beat Mustangs any day. I don't care if they're Ford, Shelby, or Saleen.

Honestly, if you compare the modern Mustang with a lot of different cars today, sure it's sporty, but not outstanding.

But back in the 80's, when most cars were still boxy, the Trans Am was like having a banana split when everyone else had a vanilla cone.

blasphemy! I'll always love shelby mustangs, :p

blasphemy! I'll always love shelby mustangs, :p

The movie wasn't that bad, and the '80's were a horrible time for sports cars in general, and maybe if GM had gotten off there asses and started producing the new camaros before now they might have chosen it instead, although I do have to say I've always been a fan of Mustang Based Shelby cars, although the grill of KITT does kinda turn me off.

And complaining about a movie being nothing but a huge car commercial, can we say Transformers. International, Pontiac, Chevy, GMC, Hummer.

KITT seemed to be missing the mouthy one-liners that the original had.

it seemed to me that KITT's personality was developing thoughout the movie.. I'm guessing that if there is a series, we'll see a progression,a'la Data, with KITT becoming more personable.

it seemed to me that KITT's personality was developing thoughout the movie.. I'm guessing that if there is a series, we'll see a progression,a'la Data, with KITT becoming more personable.

I'm hoping, but Val Kilmer being a last-minute addition when they pulled Will Arnett probably didn't leave him much time to get into the role. He came across as being a little too artificial. And he's certainly no William Daniels. Honestly, if/when they continue with the series, I hope they replace Kilmer.

And complaining about a movie being nothing but a huge car commercial, can we say Transformers. International, Pontiac, Chevy, GMC, Hummer.

Yes, but at least Transformers made decent use of the GM cars. In Knight Rider, Ford cars were just thrown around at random. Oh yeah, and the Ford Edge chasing KITT would've been minced meat in front of that truck in real life. There would've been no way either the Edge or the truck would be able to hit the brakes from their respective speeds and not hit each other.

And don't get me started with Hollywood logic, which would only apply on KITT in the movie.

Yes, but at least Transformers made decent use of the GM cars. In Knight Rider, Ford cars were just thrown around at random. Oh yeah, and the Ford Edge chasing KITT would've been minced meat in front of that truck in real life. There would've been no way either the Edge or the truck would be able to hit the brakes from their respective speeds and not hit each other.

And don't get me started with Hollywood logic, which would only apply on KITT in the movie.

forget the sudden stop, I don't even see how that edge could have managed that pass at those speeds, let alone playing slalom through traffic like that.

forget the sudden stop, I don't even see how that edge could have managed that pass at those speeds, let alone playing slalom through traffic like that.

A standard Edge probably wouldn't but what self-respecting highly paid homicidal, kidnapping Mercenary drives a stock car anyway, although they could have picked something better like a nice large lincoln or something.

• 5 months later...

Are you guys sure that isn't one of the cars in the upcoming Deathrace movie? Also, what happened to the new t.v. KITT?

I think at this point we can all agree on one thing...

They need to bring back Viper instad of Knight Rider.

But Viper lack the personality which is KITT. I'm more interested in KITT personality as a car compare to a high-tech-full-metal-jacket car with human driver.

But Viper lack the personality which is KITT. I'm more interested in KITT personality as a car compare to a high-tech-full-metal-jacket car with human driver.

Dude. I think he's being sarcastic.

Wait. Are you being sarcastic, too?