Transformers: Animated

The first look at Optimus Prime from the Cartoon Network Co-production!

IPB Image

IPB Image

I understand they want to make a kid friendly TRANSFORMERS but c'mon! They couldn't get TOEI, the company that animated the darn thing 20+ yrs ago, to do the animation! They do kids stuff; BO-BO-BO-BOBOBO, anyone?

I wont panic until I see the toys. My theory from the TF thread is that they'll be like the Pretenders toys, only instead of a humanoid shell with a bot inside, it's a vehicle shell with a humanoid figure inside.

Actually I should stop putting that idea out there or Hasbro might see it and use it...

Sadly, despite the horribly un-Transformers art direction, if Clone Wars is any indication this is likely to be a more entertaining show than the past several tv series imported from Japan.

I'm guessing the toys will look nothing like the show.

Looks like Clone Wars, Samurai Jack, Powerpuff, Dexter's Lab and all the other CN in-house Genny Tartakovsky designed shows. Those shows are all about the art direction, flow, "feel" and motion rather than details and toy-specific design intention... I think as far as "high pop art" goes, they started a trend in animation that is quite hot today with designs like this one. As far as fanboy nitpickery and "THAT'S NOT -fill in the blank character-!!!!1!" go it's par for the course. I remember reading the same comments about Clone Wars and look how well that turned out.

IMHO Transformers is two entities, the toys and the show. You don't need to have one directly mirror the other beat for beat. If that was the case the original show would have featured nearly paralyzed immobile block like robots with wheels sticking out their butts, hands that pop off and legs that don't move.

Hey, this time the truck WILL be a monkey! :p

I raped my own childhood when I rewatched most of what I liked as a kid (TF included). Whatever they do with their license can't top that :p

So....giant sentient alien robots from space that morph into vehicles are now considered "everyday heros"? O.....k.....

The Policeman!

The Fireman!

The Soldier!

The Giant Robot that Turns Into a Truck!

The Good Samaritan!

The Doctor!

Sure....I can see how that works.

Looks like Clone Wars, Samurai Jack, Powerpuff, Dexter's Lab and all the other CN in-house Genny Tartakovsky designed shows. Those shows are all about the art direction, flow, "feel" and motion rather than details and toy-specific design intention... I think as far as "high pop art" goes, they started a trend in animation that is quite hot today with designs like this one. As far as fanboy nitpickery and "THAT'S NOT -fill in the blank character-!!!!1!" go it's par for the course. I remember reading the same comments about Clone Wars and look how well that turned out.

IMHO Transformers is two entities, the toys and the show. You don't need to have one directly mirror the other beat for beat. If that was the case the original show would have featured nearly paralyzed immobile block like robots with wheels sticking out their butts, hands that pop off and legs that don't move.

Ditto.

"Bumblebee" just isn't extreme enough anymore, he'll be "Yellow Jacket" or "Death Hornet Mk.2" or something...

I don't see the whole "X-TREME" thing here, it's the Samurai Jack style. Ja, there's some graffiti style in there, but it's really more goofy and cartoony than G.I. Joe Extreme's super steroid heroes, or Loonatic's "edgy, hip americ-anime stylings!"

Might be lack of sleep or just not generally caring anymore. I thinks it been said already but i must use my own words. Its not our world anymore. Animation today for kids has to be dynamic, explosive and some semblence of a storyline (or lack of one). So they take what kids watch or rather formed to watch. I gave up on American cartoon shows a while back, but i grew up. Anime has storylines, some dedication to continutity and something i can watch and enjoy. I'm not a kid, but that doesn't mean i don't hate the cartoons i grew up on, hell if i wasn't buying anime and manga i would probably own most of them. I grew up with them, they are my link to my childhood. No one's childhood is being raped by having these remade, these are for today's kids its going to be different and strange. No amount of crying, shouting and posting on forums will change what they want to do. Sit down and give it a chance (i won't i have my cartoons), you might like it, but probably won't. Let the kids of today have their animated hero's we have ours.

Now in personal matters, i hate how it looks. I'm saddened but, hey it does make me feel good, that a series over 20 years old is still thriving and is getting a chance to bring in more young fans to keep it going. True we can rerun the series, but as we have grown up, kids tastes have changed. My roommate watches Cartoon Network some mornings so i see what kids like. I'm not into it, but kids must like it or it wouldn't be airing. So lets just age gracefully. My heros are out there in some store waiting for me to find them and bring them home and relive their adventures. Well I'm just about to face plant into keyboard so I'll stop here i have said enough. Oh one last thing, i doubt Bumblebee's name will be changed cause its a universal truth

"Chicks dig the 'bee."

Cruel Angel's Thesis

Cartoon Network raped my childhood. <_<

Mine too apparently, think we can start a class action lawsuit?

:D

Seriously, wasn't it bad enough I accidently passed by the toy section of Walmart and low and behold STAR WARS / TRANSFORMERS... WTF???

Now they have Grape Ape Prime?

Can I hire some Ninjas to go bat sheet crazy on these people, before it's too late?

(they have to be really CHEAP Ninjas though)...

Edited by Star Dragon

Of course, the only really decent Transformers shows are maybe a few, individual, episodes from G1 (and I'm being generous there), the original movie, and Beast Wars (and even though I hate the art and story direction it went it, Beast Machines was much better written than most Transformers series). I sincerely doubt it can get much worse than most of what's already out there.

I believe stating that "America's animation these days isn't for us, it's for a new generation" kinda misses the point. Rose tinted glasses and all that.

I might as well quote myself from the Transformers thread (why does this warrant it's own thread anyways?):

I am guessing it's the movie people trying to cash in with a Samurai Jack like cartoon in the same way Star Wars hit it off with the Clone Wars. I doubti t has much to do with "updating the style for a new generation" like Loonatics. Studio executives have a very odd way of looking at things, like they see trends, follow what happens to be popular, and completely miss the reality of why it was popular and then try to cash in on an aspect that is completely irrelevant to the popularity of the thing they are mimicking.

My favourite example of this is Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. When that movie bombed, execs pulled the budget on a dozen or so high profile, big budget CG animated movies. The reasoning was, FF:TSW failed because it was a CG movie, and people didn't want CG movies that year.

When Spider-Man 2 and Shrek 2 hit it big at the box office, the popular industry reasoning was that "people liked sequels that year" and so a bunch of sequels were lined up to cash in on a "sequel-mania" that never existed except in the minds of studio execs.

Edited by Radd

Of course, the only really decent Transformers shows are maybe a few, individual, episodes from G1 (and I'm being generous there), the original movie, and Beast Wars (and even though I hate the art and story direction it went it, Beast Machines was much better written than most Transformers series). I sincerely doubt it can get much worse than most of what's already out there.

I believe stating that "America's animation these days isn't for us, it's for a new generation" kinda misses the point. Rose tinted glasses and all that.

I might as well quote myself from the Transformers thread (why does this warrant it's own thread anyways?):

Love that quote you posted!

Transformers G1 needed a reboot the same way Ninja turtles got one with its use of more shadows, and edgier look compared to its 80s cartoon version.

vs

2k3

It would have been good to see something that is "similar but different" to what g1 was. Just beef up the story and flesh out the characters more (g1 sometimes showed a character without you really knowing who they were or introducing them) and smoothen out the animation so the action is dramatic and exciting and I would have been happy.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Not to go to off topic but i have come across this as well. you know i don't like when Kid's WB does marvel comics shows, just stick to the DC stuff. Here it is the Spectacular Spider-man

http://www.superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=5894

If you can cash in on someone else's property, wouldn't you do it also?

Also, I've noticed in the past year both Marvel & DC having ads in their comics featuring characters from the other company in there. These were usually movie or DVD ads.