Transformers: Animated

http://derrickjwyatt.blogspot.com/

here's the guy who did the character designs for TF: Heroes! maybe we should all write him and tell him what a great job he's doing.

I don't really think it's fair to harass a character designer on a show like that. If you've ever worked on anything graphic design or art related, you'd know we generally don't get much artistic freedom. They come to the designer, knowing the sort of work they do (hopefully, though it helps to have as broad an artistic palette as possible), and tell them what they want. The designer then provides rough preproduction work and works out the final designs with those in charge of the project.

You either provide what the client/project director wants, or they go on to someone else.

Radd, you're absolutely correct.

Sharing my opinion though (sorry if this offends anyone):

Except for one thing: Original Conceptions.

This newest TF project NOT Original, It's a cherished and diverse IP that has legions of fans (even if certain people in the industry who are controlling it could careless).

So you need to factor in how the fanbase will react to any such "interpretation" and now you can see some of that here.

For example: If I were to make a live action ROM movie and ordered some CGI designer to "modernize" the look of the character, I know that it would raise holy hell with the hardcore fans. Since my vision would be to stay as true as possible to the IP any such changed would be minimal to both appease fans (firstly) and secondly to bring an early 80's IP to the 21st century...

However, if your work is completely original and no one's ever seen that character before who's gonna know the difference? Just you and the client commissioning it. A VERY different situation.

You can go from "acclaimed visionary" to "the guy that ruined X" in a heartbeat...

(*Cough* R.D.Moore*Cough*)

But that's neither here or there. :)

I don't really think it's fair to harass a character designer on a show like that. If you've ever worked on anything graphic design or art related, you'd know we generally don't get much artistic freedom. They come to the designer, knowing the sort of work they do (hopefully, though it helps to have as broad an artistic palette as possible), and tell them what they want. The designer then provides rough preproduction work and works out the final designs with those in charge of the project.

You either provide what the client/project director wants, or they go on to someone else.

Uhm, yeah. I have worked on stuff "graphic" related and no, I don't think it's write to harass him, but I do think it's fair to comment on his work when:

1. He's "the" character designer, not "a" character designer.

2. He has a blog about himself, that allows for commenting. It's not like I found his personal contact info and i'm calling for blood here.

3. And most important, there's a FAR difference between being told to go in a certain direction and then doing a mediocre job at it.

Anyways, of course people shouldn't go on his site and trash talk the man. But I do think it's funny that people here have NO problem completely passing judgement on other people's work... to their backs.

Uhm, yeah. I have worked on stuff "graphic" related and no, I don't think it's write to harass him, but I do think it's fair to comment on his work when:

1. He's "the" character designer, not "a" character designer.

2. He has a blog about himself, that allows for commenting. It's not like I found his personal contact info and i'm calling for blood here.

3. And most important, there's a FAR difference between being told to go in a certain direction and then doing a mediocre job at it.

Anyways, of course people shouldn't go on his site and trash talk the man. But I do think it's funny that people here have NO problem completely passing judgement on other people's work... to their backs.

Before criticism is passed, I think we should wait to see more images. It doesn't even look like he drew the promo image, it might just be based off of his design. For all we know the promo image may have been done by someone else last minute, based off his design, but might not have been referenced properly. Maybe it was one of his assistants or someone from another department that they desperately needed to come up with something quick.

Think of how Itano Ichiro's work on Macross compared to Anime Friend's in certain episodes. HUGE difference in how they portrayed Mikimoto's character designs. So maybe the promo heroes image wasn't even by the key animators?

I honestly think the man didn't draw the promo, and it was by someone else. If we at least see the intro we can see his work truly bear fruition.

Well if it WAS him, can you tell him to change it back to traditional TF bodies so that when they transform it looks like a vehicle? (I'm too scared) :D I am not saying that style isn't cool or anything, just that I would prefer a less-stylised approach because that's how g1 fans envision them. I'm not trying to be offensive that's just the truth of how I feel.

Although if they can't, it's not going to make me cry or throw a tantrum. It's just a 20 year old robot show like macross. I actually watched Robotech Shadow chronicles and thought it wasn't as bad as many macross purists made out to be. (except for the singing at the end ) this took courage to say it on here. :p

In fact lately I am coming to appreciate the good writing in shows like transformers beast wars, as I didn't like the cg and characters but I can put up with it for the story, just as many noob anime watchers are probably going to pass judgement on macross as too uncool and old to be worth the time to see due to the crappy animation in some episodes. (max and milia knife fight)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

lol!

Yeah, just try to ignore the shower of sparks from their blades parrying each other (typically in a knife fight you would never parry with your own blade, you would avoid and strike...)

Anyway, related to my earlier post.

Flaming from the get go is wrong, but then again if you (collectively) are building upon the backs of another person's works, you're just gonna be under that much more scrutiny and criticism... That's only natural...

Edited by Star Dragon

The first look at Optimus Prime from the Cartoon Network Co-production!

IPB Image

IPB Image

I understand they want to make a kid friendly TRANSFORMERS but c'mon! They couldn't get TOEI, the company that animated the darn thing 20+ yrs ago, to do the animation! They do kids stuff; BO-BO-BO-BOBOBO, anyone?

That's the worst design I've ever seen...wtf are they smoking?

That's the worst design I've ever seen...wtf are they smoking?

"kiddy 8-12 year old target audience that has grown watching similar style shows on Saturday mornings that are full of commercials designed to make them want to buy the products of companies that pay good money to be in a show that kids watch while adults sleep happily" weed.

I see this show as cut from the same cloth as "Krypto the Super Dog". Exact same animation style, and from the description, exact same show development. Ever watch "Superfriends"? Yeah, picture that, but with worse dialog.

Oohh, judging by the latest press release posted on TFW2005.com the show just gets better!

"the new series, Transformers Animated, will be significantly different from the others, adding humor, never-before-seen characters and a new premise in which the Autobots fight evil humans in superhero fashion much more frequently than they battle the Decepticons, the traditional Transformers enemy since the franchise launched as a toy line in 1984."

So what we have basically is an all new show that has nothing to do with Transformers other than the fact that some of the characters just happen to have some resemblance to older characters. At least that's my interpretation of it.

Not that I care much, as I've said before I've never liked a TF cartoon series in my adult years.

Well if it WAS him, can you tell him to change it back to traditional TF bodies so that when they transform it looks like a vehicle? (I'm too scared) :D I am not saying that style isn't cool or anything, just that I would prefer a less-stylised approach because that's how g1 fans envision them. I'm not trying to be offensive that's just the truth of how I feel.

Sorry but Transformers will always be for the kids first and foremost.

This show is gonna bomb. Big time.

Why? Because a bunch of 30 somethings can't stop hating on a new twist of and old theme?

Yeah, I bet you're right, because the 15-1 child ratio in this country won't win out against a bunch of grown men whining about their childhoods being raped.

God man, how could we have all missed this?

Edited by Chewie

I do wonder how the target audience TF fans feel about all this? You know, the kids that are fans if Armada, Energon, Galaxy, and all that. Kids are kids, yes, but they're not as dumb and sheep-like as too many people believe.

Of course, Hasbro might be banking on this drawing an entirely new audience in. If so, I wonder how well that will go? Certainly appeals to a completely different aesthetic, design-wise.

Why? Because a bunch of 30 somethings can't stop hating on a new twist of and old theme?

Yeah, I bet you're right, because the 15-1 child ratio in this country won't win out against a bunch of grown men whining about their childhoods being raped.

God man, how could we have all missed this?

I'm not saying that on grounds on childhood rape. Beast Wars did that over a decade ago. I'm just implying that this new series will bomb because it simply looks horrible. I could care less about it, as we've had bad TF titles over the past decade. It's just another show that will meet an early demise.

I'm not saying that on grounds on childhood rape. Beast Wars did that over a decade ago. I'm just implying that this new series will bomb because it simply looks horrible. I could care less about it, as we've had bad TF titles over the past decade. It's just another show that will meet an early demise.

Beast Wars raping childhood? Please. The series considered the finest Transformers series by fans can hardly be childishly accused of being a 'childhood rape', especially 11 years after the fact.

'Just another'? Tell me, what Transformers shows have met an 'early demised? Don't start to say Armada, Energon or Cybertron, because Hasbro specifically planned their toylines (and thus the cartoon) to only run for 18 months before the mainline switches to something else to prevent maket fatigue with the brand. And you know what? They've been profitable. Very profitable.

Armada, one of the most hated Transformers cartoons and toylines (at least by internet fanboys) was one of the most sucessful Transformers lines ever, according to Hasbro. So if many of the adult fans and collectors did not like it, the kids must have.

So, we shall if this show takes off with kids in a similar way.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Personally, I hated the direction Beast Wars took the franchise...but it was well written and had some great characters. By far the most solid tv series ever to come out of Transformers. Of course, Beast Machines tossed that all in the crapper, but hey even it had a more self-consistent story to tell (completely changed several character's personalities and got very heavy handed with its own morality at times).

I can't like this new series even less than the past few, but it's too early to write it off. Might be pulled off in a good way. Just not the giant-robots-warring-across-our-world sort of way we've come to expect and want.

Again, I recall very clearly many people loudly proclaiming the Clone Wars series would bomb once the show's designs had been revealed.

Heck, I can't stand the movie character designs, and I'm still holding out hope the movie itself might be entertaining enough to overlook that.

That's kinda putting words in peoples' mouths.

I suspect most people just want big giant robots from another world, who disguise themselves as vehicles, and fight other similarly themed giant robots in an action adventure sort of story. Preferably with designs similar to say early G1 characters, or better yet the Alternators (with with more variety than the latter). Also like decent writing. Not necessarily a life changing incredible story to top all others, just nothing that would make most people cringe when a plot point is explained, or a character opens their mouth. No spikey haired anime characters, Transformers shouting out their attacks or otherwise acting like sentai characters. I also suspect many established fans are not fond of a drastic change of the aesthetic style in the character designs, whether it's more Hollywood overcomplicated like the Bay movie, or overexaggerated cartoonish like this new show.

I loved Beast Wars.

The story was solid. As were the tranformations/designs.

Then again, I can think outside of the box.

Also, while I'll give you kids aren't sheep, neither are they as set in their ways as adults are. They are open to experiencing new things, even if it has a new twist/plot/animation.

You guys can bash it all you want, you do it with everything else and a really good percentage of you end up eating a big ole' slice of humble pie. My apologies for being so sarcastic earlier.

Edited by Chewie

I too loved beast wars and thought that is was done well. It tied into the original mythos and was very enteraining to watch. So what they didn't have vehicles to transform into, there were no vehicles during that time so they used what they could animals. I loved it, and i loved all the revelations that came from the show.

As "different" as the designs look, i'm sure everyone here including the h8ers will watch this when it comes out. ;)

Or at least those who have cable. ;) If this were played Sunday night on Fox I might take a look, but as it is I'm not going to go out of my way to see it.

For all I know it could be better than all of the past TF series, but I'm have no reason to anticipate anything great. Beast Wars did have a somewhat compelling way of telling it's stories, but I could never get over my dislike for the animation style of the show. Car Robots/RID was OK, but got boring really fast for me. Armada and Galaxy Force I thought were pretty terrible with both animation style and writing.

And good old G1...the toys made the show pure and simple. I loved it as a kid because I got to see my favorite toys duke it out. As an adult I find it humorous at best, but I can't really stomach it. I'm sure in twenty years kids will be saying the same thing about Armada/Galaxy Force/Underoobots

The G1 Movie is probably the most watchable for me, although the music is about as far from my tastes as one can get. Even though I hate Michael Bay and dislike many of the bot designs I'm expecting the new movie to be more watchable than any of the cartoon series.

Someone just spoiled a huge chunk (IMHO) of the Movie in the latest "Hero" thread at TFW2005. :( Beware.

Let me guess, at the end of the movie it all turns out to have just been a terrible dream which leads the Witwickey kid to form his own band of "Autobots" that go around town fighting crime dressed in Transformers Underoos, all of which segues perfectly into the stylized cartoon Transformers Heros?

Come on, basing a new series of the '84 movie wouldn't be so bad would it?

(Besides the line in the beginning where spike says, "Oh S-word! Whadda we do?" is priceless)...

The occasional swear and graphic dismemberment (with accompanying hydrolic fluids) and semi-interesting plotline would satisfy most adults. We just want to see some bots get wrecked and periodically scrapped beyond salvage!!!

Can I get a Amen?

Edited by Star Dragon

I'm not a religious man, but sir, I give you an amen! :)

Actually, whoever did that Prime's Rude Awakening clip on YouTube, I'd like to see that person/group re-do the entire G1 series in the style of Space Ghost/SeaLab/Harvey Birdman. THAT would be fantastic.

Most swearing you'll get in TF is made-up TF swear words like 'slag', because shoving real swearing into dialogue is immature. The only reason Spike swore in the original TF movie was to ensure it go the appropriate rating that required adults to be with children (and hence allow the kids to pester the adults to buy this and that toy).

But wouldn't kids pester their parents for the toys weather they're in the theaters with them or not?

Another theory would be that the writers got a kick out of it or that it was simply meant to add to the 'cool factor' for the kids who watched it. I remember seeing it on a Friday (by myself at 9 years old, mind you) and going to school on Monday and chattering with all of my friends who saw it about how cool it was that they said sh!t and damm!t in the movie. Made it seem like more of a real movie and helped set it apart from the TV show, or like it was more of an 'adult' movie than a kids movie. I just remember liking the movie so much at 9 years old that it didn't even bother me that much that Prime and a large portion of the Autobots got blown away.

Edited by eriku