The All Things Video Games Thread!

From Sega? No kidding- between Madworld and Bayonetta they seem to be really on the ball this year.

Sega shouldn't get credit for MadWorld and Bayonetta. They're just the publisher.

Platinum Games(AKA darn near every talented person Capcom ever had) is the developer.

It's like giving Atari credit for Ikaruga.

Edited by JB0

Hey, has anyone tried the H.A.W.X. demo? I grabbed it this evening and gave it a whirl. It's simultaneously better and worse than I'd expected.

It's better because it's pretty arcade, which puts it closer to Ace Combat than Over G. In limiter-on mode, you don't have to worry about stalls. You can take a few hits before you die, and you're carrying something like 250 missiles. In some ways, it's even more arcadey than Ace Combat... at times, you can activate an "Enhanced Reality System" that puts a series of triangles up. Depending on the context you activated the ERS in, flying through the triangles will put you on the optimal path to hit a ground target nestled between skyscrapers, to get behind a particular enemy, or to dodge a missile.

Where the game goes down hill, though, is when you turn the limiter off. The concept is cool... the fighter's FCS prevents you from turning in a way that'd cause the pilot to black out or to cause the fighter to stall, but by turning that limiter off, you can perform riskier moves to try to gain the upper hand. In practice, this is the most useless feature ever crammed into a game. For one thing, blackouts don't seem to be an issue, just stalls. But the big problem is that, far from giving you an advantage, it makes the game borderline unplayable. Turning the limiter off puts the camera a great distance from your fighter, and the camera is no longer fixed to the tail of the fighter. This has you struggling to turn your fighter around and line it up with a target, without stalling, from a distance and at an angle.

The good about the limiter is that, aside from the tutorial level, it doesn't seem to be necessary. If the controls can be re-mapped to be more like Ace Combat's, H.A.W.X. will probably be worth checking out.

I was worried from the start---"assist" mode and "normal" mode seemed to have camera views "keyed" to their modes---and they were the opposite of what I wanted (and the opposite of Ace Combat). And every time people asked the developers refused to answer if the camera views were locked like that. Seems they are. That is an absolute utter deal-killer.

I was worried from the start---"assist" mode and "normal" mode seemed to have camera views "keyed" to their modes---and they were the opposite of what I wanted (and the opposite of Ace Combat). And every time people asked the developers refused to answer if the camera views were locked like that. Seems they are. That is an absolute utter deal-killer.

Try the demo, David. It's not as big a deal as it sounds. With the limiter on, you can pick third-person behind the plane, 1st person HUD only, or 1st person cockpit. And with the limiter on, it controls almost like Ace Combat. The yaw buttons are the shoulder buttons, and break/accelerate at the triggers. You still use the left stick to roll the plane, then pull back to turn. The stuff that takes getting used to is that up and down on the d-pad changes what kind of missile you're using, A fires the missiles, and B fires the guns.

I've heard people do that and worse. :wacko:

So've I. It was just the best example I could think of.

I don't even LIKE Ikaruga, but I insist that credit(blame?) for the game go to Treasure, where it belongs.

Publishers getting the credit drives me crazy.

I'd really like to see games get more like movies in one respect. Packaging. If they highlighted the people responsible for products, beyond the usual ZOMG MIYAMOTO nonsense, it'd be a lot easier to track who was actually doing the good work and who was just copycatting.

Granted, if PN03 had been billed as "From the creators of Resident Evil and Devil May Cry!" people would've come in with even MORE incorrect assumptions about the game than the "Tomb Raider in space" expectations it got saddled with...

Actually, maybe not. It was a pretty clear DMC descendant.

I tried to get it, but it's Gold-only. Or is there a PS3 demo too?

I didn't realize that this was the case. I can understand Microsoft's desire to make stuff Gold-only, to increase the perceived value of paying for the service, but exclusive demos don't make sense. The whole point of a demo is to get people to buy a game, so from Ubisoft's POV wouldn't they want as many people as possible to have access to the demo? Who even made the decision that the demo is for Gold members only?

I looked through my games for a free trial code to send you, found one, but it has the caveat that it's good for online gaming only, and no other Gold features. Well, I hope it's available for non-Golds on for the PS3 soon.

I didn't realize that this was the case. I can understand Microsoft's desire to make stuff Gold-only, to increase the perceived value of paying for the service, but exclusive demos don't make sense. The whole point of a demo is to get people to buy a game, so from Ubisoft's POV wouldn't they want as many people as possible to have access to the demo? Who even made the decision that the demo is for Gold members only?

I think it's kind of an inverse situation. the game has generated enough hype that lots of people want to play the demo to check the game out. the hope is that the compulsion to play the demo NOW will be strong enough to encourage people to go out and buy live... which they should :p

as for the demo, it sucks fairly hard. the ability to do things like cobra maneuvers and other good stuff like that is great but ruined by the fact that you can't execute such moves with limiter on, and in limiter off mode it's absolutely impossible to control the plane.

Why did they use that stupid camera mode?!? it's not just that it's zoomed out but that it's locked to the target you're tracking so every time you try to maneuver the orientation of your controls changes.

that ERS thing is real good to. I tried using it against ground targets twice and each time it aimed me right into a building... real useful. maybe they'll fix a few things before launch but I doubt it. :(

GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER. :(

SIgh.....times are tough huh.

This was a FALSE rumor months ago. Aliens:CM has NOT been canceled. It's still being developed. In addition, a new AVP game is being developed as well.

The Aliens RPG on the other hand has been canceled.

This was a FALSE rumor months ago. Aliens:CM has NOT been canceled. It's still being developed. In addition, a new AVP game is being developed as well.

Months old rumour? Really? :blink: You mean i can stop crying now?

Question for PC RPG players. Anyone here ever play a game called The Witcher? I'm tempted to get the Enhanced Edition to tide me over RPG wise until Dragon Age gets released (can't wait for some good old Bioware goodness).

Just noticed there is a demo so I'm downloading as I type. Still anyone with any thoughts and opinions I'd love to hear them.

Edited by Smiley424

I'll second that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mai was MIA; hasn't she been left out of the last couple of KOF's or so? Anyway, she was more jack-off material than a usable character...

They added Mai to the PS2 version of KoF XI among some other previous roster members. 95's always been my favorite because it was my first. There's a KoF: The Orochi Saga out for PS2 now that is a collection of all the SNK KoF games from 94 to 98. I picked it up for $20 new, but you might be able to find it cheaper.

Anyone have a PSP might try out Resistance: Retribution demo.

My comment: Due to the auto-aim and auto-cover system, I can pretty much take on everything in the demo, the game is more like a shoot'em up than a TPS (there's a manual aim mode but it's just slow, and ammo are plentiful so I don't really need it). You basically move in new area -> take cover -> kill Chimera -> open some switch to the new area then repeat the whole process, no puzzle/pathfinding so far.

Every weapon has a second ability, there's a nifty gun at the of demo that can create a force barrier protecting the player while the player can only shoot back with said gun.

It's pretty fun shooting stuff so far, I can't wait for more.

That's because the game apparently has a North American release window, which was, frankly, (good) news to this casual King of Fighters observer. The trailer dates The King of Fighters XII for a PlayStation 3 release this Summer.

http://kotaku.com/5163207/the-king-of-figh...-3s-this-summer

US debut trailer

woohoo

Edited by bandit29

I can has "sonic electronic ball-breakers?" :ph34r::blink::lol:

But seriously delays can go both ways right? :mellow: It could come out later or it could never come out (i.e. vaporware). :unsure:

I can has "sonic electronic ball-breakers?" :ph34r::blink::lol:

But seriously delays can go both ways right? :mellow: It could come out later or it could never come out (i.e. vaporware). :unsure:

They can't ALL be Starcraft:Ghost and/or Duke Nukem Forever. :p

The first one hooked me. The only thing I hate about it is the Ritual spells, god, I almost gave up when I get to do the Rain ritual.

Can't remember how far I got but I was chasing the bad eye balls into their village with a battering ram .... or was it a catapult? Anyways even though I could swear I was hitting all the notes on every beat I kept losing the , guess I 'll call it the power build up, and they would waste me. Sorta put it aside after that and never got around to finishing it. Not really a game you can pick up and continue from again. I'd forgotten all the button sequences. :p

Can't remember how far I got but I was chasing the bad eye balls into their village with a battering ram .... or was it a catapult? Anyways even though I could swear I was hitting all the notes on every beat I kept losing the , guess I 'll call it the power build up, and they would waste me. Sorta put it aside after that and never got around to finishing it. Not really a game you can pick up and continue from again. I'd forgotten all the button sequences. :p

You gotta feel the beat, man, gotta feel the beat. Messing up one note and you will lose combo, fever and everything...

Just finished the first 2 stages of Patapon 2...it's the first stage so I am not able to say much, but you can reach fever with just 3 combo. That's a relief compare to Patapon 1's Fever.

Edit: Just rescued my first Heropon, and he throws a fricking rock at the Dodonga, badass!

Edited by REbirth

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Anyone here tried out Patapon 2 EU (both in legal way and illegal way I suppose >_>)?

Tried it abit. Same old with new way of evolving patapons. The story seemed reset though.

I finished the 1st one. Was really addicted to it. Got most of the gold weapons.

Oh btw...this is good fracking news.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-...erica-this-fall

Edited by wolfx