The All Things Video Games Thread!

As far as controllers go, I'd get a stick.

Though that didn't work so well with Megaman 9. There's 2 control mappings, and neither works worth crap with my stick.

Personally, I'd probably go with the PS3 version of Street Fighter, just for the free online play.

As far as the unplayable library of Saturn games...

Have you considered emulation? There's actually a viable Saturn emulator now, if you have a semirecent PC.

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~phantasy/ssf/

Edited by JB0

Growing up, I was always a console gamer, and was content to use controllers for FPS games going back to Goldeneye. Recently, since a store nearby started selling cheap used PC games and I built a nice gaming PC, I've learned to use the mouse/keyboard combo, often touted as superior.

One of the arguments often presented is that using the mouse for aiming is much more precise. And I can totally see that. That doesn't make a mouse/keyboard combo superior, though, only the mouse.

Well, over Thanksgiving break, my wife has me replaying Super Mario Galaxy with her. Probably the first time I've had to dig out the Wii Nunchuck since... well, since we bought SMG the previous Thanksgiving. It occurred to me that, while a keyboard would still be necessary due to a lack of buttons on the Nunchuck, the Nunchuck would be an excellent replacement for the WASD keys, as it sits comfortably in your left hand, is small enough to allow for hitting keys on the keyboard while holding it, and leaving the right hand free to work the mouse. While the typical FPS uses several keys, the two buttons that are on the the Nunchuck could even be used for more common commands that you'd want quickly in the heat of combat, like melee and tossing whatever grenade is currently equipped.

Has anyone heard of anything like that being done? I know people have used Bluetooth to get a Wiimote working with a PC, but I have no interest in using the actual Wiimote as anything more than a bridge between the Nunchuck and the PC. I'm also not looking for strange drivers that would wake the Wiimote turn up as a joystick... I want the directions on the stick to translate directly to WASD have everything turn up in the game as a keyboard, so I don't have to screw with settings if I want to use it one time but am too lazy to do in another.

EDIT: Apparently, I'm not the only one thinking along those lines. A company called SplitFish has designed A setup very similiar to what I want for my PC, only they did it for the PS3.

Edited by mikeszekely

Pretty sure you're gonna have to deal with strange drivers.

Anyways, I hate the keyboard. And the mouse. I'm a trackball man, and cry every time someone attempts to replace the keyboard and gets laughed out of the market by PC gamers.

Didn't the bridge bunnies use trackballs to defend the sdf-1 in macross using the pinpoint barrier?

Man that's old school. I remember playing a game called marble madness with a trackball and my skin got caught in between the ball and the opening where the ball sit, causing a painful pinch. One really hard game. Also I think sega had a FPS game in the arcades using a trackball.

I think mice are great for aiming but analogue sticks have advantage over keyboards for movement. I can see where keyboards might still be handy: games like descent where you can move around in 3d dimensions and rotate at wierd angles.

WASD for movement up(ascend) and down(descend) and left and right.

Space for move forward

Alt for move backward

Mouse-Look for pitch and yaw (aim guns)

QE for roll left and right. (combine with left/right movement to do a barrel roll type motion)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Best christmas present ever but I've done everything and I get music but no voices :S I own the game and ripped the ISO onto the comp and patched it but no voices anyone else have this problem ??

Based on discussion both in IRC and on Gid's board, a LOT of people have.

I haven't.

Interesting article pointed out on Slashdot about the revival of "retro" games.....

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/ga...come-back.ars/1

The thing that does astound me is how the emphasis always seems to be old (usually VERY old) arcade and 8 bit games. A lot of 16 bit classics are neglected. I, personally, would love to be able to play updated versions of Carrier Command and Starglider 2.

Taksraven

Interesting article pointed out on Slashdot about the revival of "retro" games.....

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/ga...come-back.ars/1

The thing that does astound me is how the emphasis always seems to be old (usually VERY old) arcade and 8 bit games. A lot of 16 bit classics are neglected. I, personally, would love to be able to play updated versions of Carrier Command and Starglider 2.

Taksraven

A good game is a good game, regardless of when it was orginally created. I second your notion on 16-bit games getting no update love. Some of the best games came out of the Genesis/SNES era.

A good game is a good game, regardless of when it was orginally created. I second your notion on 16-bit games getting no update love. Some of the best games came out of the Genesis/SNES era.

Yeah, but my nostalgia for the Genesis/SNES era is tempered by the realization that, for every one great game you got, you got five shmups or Final Fight-style beat 'em ups.

Yeah, but my nostalgia for the Genesis/SNES era is tempered by the realization that, for every one great game you got, you got five shmups or Final Fight-style beat 'em ups.

90% of everything is crap.

The NES-era and Atari-era systems didn't have any better good:bad game ratios.They're just further back, so the glasses are a bit rosier.

I always figured the SNES/Genesis nostalgia wave would be kicking in after another year or two, but I've been saying that for a few years now.

It could be that the Genesis brought a different audience to video games.

A lot of people it brought in were the ones that follow whatever the new cool thing is(and subsequently left Sega for Sony instead of being good little fanboys). And that's ignoring people that had the Genesis mainly for sports games.

The SNES has enjoyed a much stronger following over the years, and prices for SNES stuff have remained consistently and massively higher than Genesis stuff.

I saw the news about EGM yesterday. Very sad to see it go as it was just reaching it's 20th anniversary; yikes, another sign of getting old. :p Furthermore, it's sad that they didn't get to have one final tribute/20th anniversary issue since the rug was pulled under their feet. But the harsh reality is that a lot of gamers these days are getting their video game news and information from Internet gaming websites and blogs. Why wait a month for something you have to pay for when you can get that information online instantly and free?

I originally became a full time reader of EGM in the fall of 1991 as I started my senior year of high school. In the spring of 1992, I started my subscription which I constantly maintained for the next 15 years. When I let my subscription expired, I started getting a bunch of nasty letters from the EGM subscription people basically threatening legal action for letting my subscription expire and I ended up having to call them up to see why I was being harassed like that. :p

A few years ago I sold off my entire video game magazine collection to a local collector store. I estimated I loaded up in my pickup something like 400-500 pounds of gaming magazines. This not only included all my EGM's, but nearly every issue of Gamefan, every issue of Next Generation, Nintendo Power, and a bunch of others. Especially with EGM's demise, part of me wishes I had kept some of those magazines. I'm tempted to go check to see if that collector still has them. :)

RIP EGM! Steve Harris should be proud of what he contributed to the realm of video game journalism.

No sh!t, that's crazy. While I haven't bought the mag since well before sushi-x left, I still read it of of magazine racks from time to time. What will become of Seanbaby!

Well, there's still Seanbaby's website, but it doesn't look like he's updated it in a while.

Hey, I love shmups and Final Fight type games! A great source of stress relief AND stress. :D

Too bad about EGM..one of the few magazines I read..I'm a current subscriber too..long time reader ..

Not only is the magazine gone but now the same people who (more or less) worked for EGM at 1up.com have been fired too..terrible

http://kotaku.com/5125034/mass-firings-at-1up-after-sale

In the most recent issue (January) was there any indication that this was going to be the final issue? If they put out one final issue as a goodbye to its readers and/or something to commemorate the magazine almost turning 20, I would definitely pick it up.

I can't say that I'm sorry to see EGM go. Yeah, it was a great magazine... a long time ago. I devolved to a magazine with worthless features, reviews that were a month behind even other magazines, and a review system that started with 6 and went down, no matter how good the game was, unless it was trendy to like the game, then they got scores that were way higher than my personal experiences. I canceled my subscription over a year ago.

In this modern age, where news and reviews hit the internet long before the magazines go to print, a magazine's gotta stand or fall based on its other features. The only feature worth ready was Seanbaby's, and even he seemed to be getting a little tired of it all.

That said, the 1up network was a staple of the gaming community on the internet, and a lot of EGM's current and former talent flourished online even as the magazine went down the tubes. I'm sorry to hear that they're losing their jobs over this, and I hope they can all find new jobs inside the industry. The fact that they're getting the can shows just how little regard Hearst has for their potential customers.

In the most recent issue (January) was there any indication that this was going to be the final issue? If they put out one final issue as a goodbye to its readers and/or something to commemorate the magazine almost turning 20, I would definitely pick it up.

I don't think they knew. But...

"The January 2009 issue of EGM, shown above, is reported to be the last one to see print. The February issue is complete, and its content is slated to be distributed digitally, either in PDF format or in the form of articles on 1UP.com."

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/01/magwea..._reportedly.php

I'll be interested to see how that goes. Especially with 1UP being sold and everyone getting fired.

I don't think they knew. But...

"The January 2009 issue of EGM, shown above, is reported to be the last one to see print. The February issue is complete, and its content is slated to be distributed digitally, either in PDF format or in the form of articles on 1UP.com."

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/01/magwea..._reportedly.php

I'll be interested to see how that goes. Especially with 1UP being sold and everyone getting fired.

Right from the source:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=897783...cUserId=4549175