Macross Flashback 2012

Area88

Macross Flashback 2012?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Macross Flashback 2012?

Macross Flashback 2012 is a 30-minute music video OVA from 1987 filled with songs from the TV series and the Do You Remember Love movie.

The opening concert scene is stunning. The animation is very fluid and the older Minmay is very attractive wearing an original and fururistic outfit.

Then there are the music videos which are carefully edited together by the same staff that made Macross famous, adding in special video effects and live action scenes to make the impact of the music even greater. Like DYRL, Flashback 2012 mainly focuses in on the famous love triangle.

Everyone will have a favourite music video when watching this and mine is the 'Silvermoon Redmoon'.

Then of course there is the ending which was originally supposed to animated for the end of DYRL but due to time constraints was never finished. Every Macross fan will want to see this as it really is the perfect finale to the series.

How do you rate Macross Flashback 2012 and why?

IPB Image

Edited by Area88

I really want to give it a 5/5 because An Angel Paints is my favorite Macross song. But Flashback 2012 could've been a LOT more than a 25 minute clip show with 5 minutes of all new footage. But those images of the Megaroad, Misa, Hikaru, and Minmay close the chapter of SDF: Macross is grand fashion. You just wish it could've been a full fledged ending instead of a tease.

4/5.

I love the additional 5mins but it was only five minutes....

I love all the soundtracks but when I first saw the music clips, I honestly thought they were fairly ordinary - more like watching a B-grade Karaoke. It really didn't have an impact on me and I thought it was a great lost of opportunity of 30 minutes air time.

But Minmay was beautiful.

2 stars.

A solid 4/5, but much like DYRL?, Flashback 2012 is a film for the fans. It's not really a stand alone picture and works best as a complement for the Macross universe. Which is just fine by me because it really helps embelish and enrich the whole franchise. It's a great send off for the original series and the characters. The mecha designs are fairly unique and I especially enjoyed Hikaru's spacesuit-esque flight suit as well as Misa's captain uniform. These updated character designs in Flashback 2012 added a sense of realism to the stylised universe, yet remained inescapably "Macross." As a visual work it was great and the small story it told was amazing considering the lack of dialogue. A great video montage with really good music. Too bad it wasn't a full blown movie or OVA :)

Was it done for the 20th anniversary? I always thought they did it to milk a few dollars out of the fan with old footages.

No, it was made way back in 1987. Flashback 2012 was a collection of story elements made for SDF Macross that couldn't fit into the series length AND some animation meant to be included in the DYRL? film, but never made it due to budget/time constraints. So they made a little video presentation in order to get that stuff out to the fans.

Don't have the sources with me but I believe it was the ending they want to end DYRL? with but for some reason couldn't.

I've seen that before. Time constraints, if I recall. They just couldn't justifty delaying it for the ending concert.

I could be wrong. I know it was time or budget constraints.

I give 2012 1 star.

Perhaps it works as a way to give the fans material that was abandoned, but as an actual show...

There's no new story content in there at all(Minmay leaving on the Megaroad was established in the TV series). And the animation level bounces around so much that it's a rather obvious patchwork.

If I want to listen to Minmay singing, I can stick a CD in.

I like 2012, but overall it's really just a gimmick. Half an hour of clips, followed by a new concert that shoulda-but-wasn't part of DYRL. The only real value it has is showing us the majesty of the VF-4 (however briefly) and the launch of the Megaroad 01. Even that is of limited interest, because as pretty as it is to look at, the seqence doesn't show us anything that we didn't already know. This one is strictly for the fans.

If I had to rate the video on its own, it would definitely get a 6 out of 5. Some of the best animation in the history of Earth, and I don't think that's an exaggeration. The song is great, and it's a finale for Macross, and the Megaroad and VF-4 look awesome.

As for the whole package, well, everyone hates clip-shows. But you do get all the songs. Overall I give it a 4/5 (mostly due to the video).

Question: Did 2012 come with the Japanese DVD release of DYRL? I thougt I read that somewhere.

Perhaps it works as a way to give the fans material that was abandoned, but as an actual show...

That's exactly what it was. There were no new projects on the horizon and the show was still very huge with the fans so in order to keep the merchandising machine going they came up with FB2012.

(Minmay leaving on the Megaroad was established in the TV series).

Wha?? :blink: I don't recall THAT particular pearl at all! The human emigration project was established, but nowhere that I recall is it mentioned that Minmay was going to be in it. Her continued singing career was established at the end of SDFM.

Maybe so, but back in 1987 music videos were still all the rage and a collection of Macross videos based on the show's soundtrack was all about marketing to the insatiable fans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I like 2012 specifically for the new Farewell Concert footage and Mari's new song "Angel Paint" (which she wrote). It was nice to see them incorporate most of the concert into the end credits of Bandai's Perfect Edition of DYRL on DVD.

The individual video segments were quite uninspired and clearly done "on the cheap" since very little new footage was animated for them, but rather existing series and movie footage was used instead.

If they would have treated it like a video collection of the DYRL soundtrack and used that footage exclusively I'd probably appreciate it better.

Wha?? :blink: I don't recall THAT particular pearl at all! The human emigration project was established, but nowhere that I recall is it mentioned that Minmay was going to be in it. Her continued singing career was established at the end of SDFM.

Immediatly afterwards...

She asks Misa to give her a seat on the Megaroad. And it's granted.

Because Misa's f'ing stupid and hasn't quite figured out that Hikaru has zero willpower. She'll be fighting with the brat until the end of time if she stays in the picture.

I gave it a four out of five stars.

I thought it was a nice little tribute, and farewell, to three of the main characters from the Original Series. The new animation scenes were excellent. "An Angel's Paints" was a pretty good tune, as well.

What topped it all off for me were the still images, in the end credits, of Minmany walking off into the light.

I give 2012 1 star.

There's no new story content in there at all(Minmay leaving on the Megaroad was established in the TV series). And the animation level bounces around so much that it's a rather obvious patchwork.

I think you really don't know what macross flashback 2012 is about.

The oppening and the last 5 minutes are together one of the most beautiful moments in animation ever. And one of the most significant moments of macross too.

So yes, is for fans only.

I gave it a 1/5 because that was as low as I could go.

Total waste of my time.

I really dislike the Macross pop-music, and besides being an overly long, and fairly lame, music video 2012 doesn't really offer anything to the viewer.

I'm a fan of Macross, but Flashback hardly even counts in my book.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the 'supposed' jury, it does not make sense!"

This is the first time I've ever heard of a group of people trying to "make sense" of a collection of music videos???

Were you somehow expecting some hidden protoculture theme with rainbow song beams making everything better? :p:rolleyes:

This is the first time I've ever heard of a group of people trying to "make sense" of a collection of music videos???

Were you somehow expecting some hidden protoculture theme with rainbow song beams making everything better? :p:rolleyes:

It makes more sense than Valkyries with Breastesesess :p

I gave it 3/5.

It's good that it rounds up the character/love story.

Would have been better to have the concert and the 5 minutes of new animation just before or while the end credits are running.

I also think the staff behind this got away with murder.

Tree years after DYRL and all they come up with is a 30 minute music video... they were lucky Macross fans swallowed this back then...

Thast's exactly what I mean, mac fbk 2012 is a glam piece of macross not another macross project.

An excellent 5 minutes remains just that: 5 minutes, out of which I've probably enjoyed 2 (coincidentally my vote).

Personally I find it incomprehensible how people can lavishly praise a rehash of SDF Macross and DYRL with high marks, despite the above-average song and the gorgeous 5 minutes.

FB 2012 was essentially the fullfillment of Minmay's promise at the end of the TV series. New animation was freakin' awesome, and considering the mid 80's were rampant with music video's in general, I thought the montages were pretty good. I've always had a softspot for FB 2012 though, so I gave it a 5.