Macross Mecha Manual

Mr March

Ah. Well allow me to demonstrate the reference I thought you were making:
Sure to get a chuckle :)

I got through half of that before it became too corny :wacko: . Also I never liked the scream at the beginning of that song. However that is funny, I never noticed how often he says stuff like that while putting the glasses on.

That's what I get for watching different fan subs. :) Thanks MarineCorps and welcome to Macross World! Corrections have been made and uploaded. Make sure to hit refresh on your browser when visiting again.

I got through half of that before it became too corny :wacko: . Also I never liked the scream at the beginning of that song. However that is funny, I never noticed how often he says stuff like that while putting the glasses on.

I've barely watched the show, but I found that You-Tube clip hysterical :)

*dramatic pause*

Edited by Mr March

Those are apparently the missing pages from the Flashback 2012 Graffiti book. For some reason the PDF file that's been making the rounds for years is missing those pages, or so I am told, and that's where they came from. I do have them on my HD and was thinking of adding them to the VF-4 entry, but they are really poor photographs. I was hoping I'd run across someone who had some good scans. I'm hoping these images might find their way into the Macross Chronicle.

Ok I did a little hunting and this is what I came up on the those pics -

_Mr.Shoji Kawamori's sketch to VF-4A(B,C) "Siren" and FAST pack

VF-4A/B/C "Siren" FAST pack page

These image is contained "MUSASIHA Ltd. 1/72 resin VF-4A kit" drawn by Shoji-Kawamori._

-Not my words they were taken from the site that I found.

I haven't watched macross frontier yet but I wish there was a alpha and omega fighter. "The beginning and the end." And the vf-25 = the messiah. This would be like a macross pisstake on the robotech/mospeada alpha(legioss) and beta(tread) fighter. Front section is "the beginning", the back half is "the end". It is something Dr. Chiba would invent in to fight the space ghosts. :p

Kawamori can send me a check in the mail for my brilliant idea.

Good work Mr March.

You should do some more stuff for macross zero like the Destroid Cheyenne, and Octos, and "monster with claws", next.

I love the octos. It's unique for the macross universe. Reminds me of the old mobile suit gundam Amphibious Zeon mecha with the whole "one eyeball" motif.

msm-03.jpg

I wonder if yamato will have the balls to release a transforming octos toy one day? I love that it can roll on the land as well as hide in the sea and surprise attack.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

hobbes221

Ah. Very rare indeed. Probably won't be seeing any forthcoming scans from that :)

1/1 LowViz Lurker

Yeah, the lack of published Macross Zero line art has me really annoyed. It's basically keeping the Macross Zero section underdeveloped until Big West sees fit to honor us with some damn line art in a published book. Hopefully the Macross Chronicle will eventually fix this problem and I can properly fill out the section.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying the site. I liked the Octos as well. If there was one thing Macross Zero did well, it was the destroids and misc mecha. the Cheyenne and Octos are solid designs.

Ok I did a little hunting and this is what I came up on the those pics -

_Mr.Shoji Kawamori's sketch to VF-4A(B,C) "Siren" and FAST pack

VF-4A/B/C "Siren" FAST pack page

These image is contained "MUSASIHA Ltd. 1/72 resin VF-4A kit" drawn by Shoji-Kawamori._

-Not my words they were taken from the site that I found.

Interesting indeed. I had originally thought those were from the Flashback 2012 artbook. I'm going to do a little digging into that on my own, and if that really is the VF-4A/S/SP/ST Siren as opposed to the VF-4/G Lightning III, that'd make it the ONLY lineart for the VF-4 Siren from the Macross II prequel game Macross: Eternal Love Song that I'm aware of. All my site's art of the VF-4A/S/SP/ST Siren are some rough stuff we put together with help from Flaming Gauntlet based on screen captures from the game. The VF-4S, VF-4SP, and VF-4ST debuted in Macross: Eternal Love Song for the NEC PC engine back in 1992, as main character mecha for some of the pilots aboard the UNS Prometheus (a Daedalus II-class space carrier platform, a ship class which could in all fairness be called the successor to the ARMD).

I'm amazed to learn that Kawamori himself named it "Siren," I was always under the assumption that the ELS staff came up with that name. In TIA Flashback 2012, is the VF-4 referred to as the "Siren" or "Lightning?"

I wouldn't be surprised if the ELS staff used those pieces of lineart as a reference. But they definitely did not use Kawamori's rough Fast Pack design when adding Fast Packs to their VF-4. The Fast Packs the VF-4 Siren used in ELS looked questionable.

Can you explain how the VF-4A/S/SP/ST are different? For some odd reason, I'm incredible fascinated with the PC-Engine games. :)

I'm amazed to learn that Kawamori himself named it "Siren," I was always under the assumption that the ELS staff came up with that name. In TIA Flashback 2012, is the VF-4 referred to as the "Siren" or "Lightning?"

I don't have it with me at the moment (as I'm posting this from work) but I think that in that particular artbook the VF-4 is referred to only as "VF-4". I know that in Entertainment Bible 51 the VF-4 is also only referred to as "VF-4" in the Flashback 2012 section.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ELS staff used those pieces of lineart as a reference. But they definitely did not use Kawamori's rough Fast Pack design when adding Fast Packs to their VF-4. The Fast Packs the VF-4 Siren used in ELS looked questionable.

No, it doesn't seem that they did. The FAST packs on the VF-4A/S/SP/ST Siren seems to have FAST packs derived from the NP-BP-01 FAST packs used on the VF-1 Valkyrie. Though I do find the VF-4 FAST packs in that sketch remind me more than a little bit of the VF-25F/S's Armor Pack (the version Ozma uses).

Can you explain how the VF-4A/S/SP/ST are different? For some odd reason, I'm incredible fascinated with the PC-Engine games. :)

Well, I haven't been able to locate any lineart of the VF-4S/SP/ST from Macross: Eternal Love Song so pretty much all we have to go on are sprite graphics from the game itself, plus stuff that's said in-game. What I'm putting down here is based entirely on my own observations and the observations of others on here and elsewhere who have played the game through in its entirety.

The VF-4A/G Lightning III is an odd bird with an unconventional and somewhat topheavy battroid layout that lacks weapons on the head turret and doesn't seem to normally carry a gunpod. Also noteworthy is the fact that the VF-4A/G Lightning III's head is stored on the dorsal side of the fuselage like the VF-11 and subsequent fighters.

The VF-4A/S/SP/ST Siren seems to take a somewhat more traditional design. The VF-4A Siren seems to be visibly indistinguishable from the VF-4A Lightning III in fighter mode (we never see a battroid mode for this version). Circa 2037, the VF-4S Siren was in service with the UN Spacy, and had a somewhat altered design. In fighter mode, the mecha's head is on the ventral side of the fuselage, with the sensor window facing forward just like on the VF-1. The VF-4S also has a much more traditional looking head, which looks much like the head of the VF-1SR Valkyrie from Macross 2036: the Neld Fleet Incident, including the smaller "eye" up above the main sensor window and the four lasers mounted in pairs on the sides of the head. The VF-4S's head lasers are (in fighter mode) positioned such that they can shoot forward on either side of the ventral fin (like the head lasers of the VF-2SS). The VF-4S has the same forearm guns and semi-recessed missiles as the VF-4A/G, but a much more traditional battroid shape. The VF-4S doesn't seem to normally carry a gunpod. When equipped with normal FAST packs it's referred to as the VF-4SP Siren, and the FAST packs seem to share a lot in common with the VF-1's, being mainly missile launchers and boosters. The VF-4ST Siren is the VF-4S with a somewhat different set of FAST packs that can deploy Funnels (ala Gundam). The VF-4SP and VF-4ST seem to routinely carry a beam rifle for a gunpod.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Thanks for the thorough explanation. I never knew there were two sets of Fast Packs for the VF-4 Siren. From the games' text, it's good to see that quite a bit of thought was put into the Siren, even though we rarely got to see detailed pictures of it.

VF_4_ELS01.gif

VF_4_ELS02.gif

In my dream world, Macross Chronicles would feature an entire section dedicated to PC-Engine lineart and text. B))

First Macross Frontier Blu-ray disc is already out, and with it some nice info of mecha!

VF-171: Nothing news on it, although now we know that the recon version of VF-171 is is named RVF-171.

AIF-7S Ghost: Now here's where we got new info: it demonstrated high maneuverability which is not possible with human pilot, and able to fight in formation. However, if it's integrated sensor is blocked by ECM, it will face difficulty to adapt to new situation. (Not sure about this one... Can someone with better japanese than me help me on this one?)

EX-Gear: It mentioned that it can be used by new VF, which may indicate that EX-Gear can be used by other VF other than VF-25. It also mentioned that EX is the short form of "Extra".

Macross Frontier: Interestingly, while it mention that Macross Frontier is the 25th ship of New Macross Class, it also mention that it's actually the 55th Super-Long Distance Colonizations Fleet. Macross Galaxy is the 21th of New Macross Class, although no no. of Colonizations Fleet is given.

Source: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=27099

Edited by Sulendil Ang

In my dream world, Macross Chronicles would feature an entire section dedicated to PC-Engine lineart and text. B))

PC Engine and PC-98 stuff. I would absolutely love it if they did that though, lots of cool designs that barely got any attention. Not to mention I have kind of an odd fascination with the "forgotten" part of the Macross continuity.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, btw, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the fans who are referencing, linking and advertising my website. I've noticed many fans like Sulendil Ang and Dante74 posting links to the Macross Mecha Manual in their signatures. A large percentage of the MW community also links to my site for reference in regular discourse. I've also seen a lot of fans on the AN, MAHQ, AnimeSuki, and many other website linking to the M3.

I just wanted to say thank you all for helping promote the website. I'm very happy to see my site is so useful to so many.

You're welcome, March! Just helping those people so that they can stop ask question like 'what's the difference between VF-11B and VF-11C'. :p In fact, I'm blushing because of this, never think people will thanks me for such an easy thing as adding another link to one's signature.

BTW, I'm interested on that website called AN. Can you give me the address to that site? :)

Love your work, Mr March, truly outstanding.

I was wondering if you were ever going to be able to put some of the Destroids and Anti-UN units (other than the variable fighters) from Macross Zero on your page. It would be great to see them.

Taksraven