Macross Mecha Manual

Mr March

Awesome, thanks for the speedy translation!

Mr. March, in light of everything that's transpired, would you consider using superscripted footnotes in the future? I know that your site explicitly states that it is a fansite, but it would still be immensely helpful to future readers.

Thanks for the help everyone, especially Seto Kaiba who has been working with me for a few months now to make the Macross II section as accurate and complete as possible (no small task, considering the lack of information on the internet).

I can certainly add a footnote for the Macross II date found in the OST. I think that one came as a surprise to everyone. Seto and I were just discussing the year Macross II takes place this past week and we didn't yet know about that little gem. Crazy how some very important facts are found in the most unlikely places. I hope the makers of the Macross Chronicle know where to look :)

Mr. March, I got some comments about the Macross Quarter page, why did you list Sheryl, Leon(?), Ranka and Nanase as the crew of it? ^_^ I don't think they can be classified as 'crew', but passenger is more likely, and I never saw Nanase on board Quarter. ^_^

And probably the same comment about Nanase in Macross 25 crew listing. ^_^

Bah, had I known you were finally working on a Macross II section I would have done what I could to help. I guess it would help if I checked this thread more than I do. I'm glad to see a Macross II section up though! Nice work guys! Thanks!

Morpheus

A fella from another board already corrected me on this one, so it'll show in the next update. But thanks for telling me anyway. It was unclear early on who was aboard what vessel, but as the distinctions became clearer over more episodes, some old information needs to be corrected. The Macross Frontier section is also in flux, so plenty of information will need to be corrected as official sources are translated and/or become available. Sadly there is precious little available thus far.

Just to note, for each Macross ship I include all the characters onboard as part of the crew. In a general sense, crew means people working aboard a ship, but since each Macross vessel has also doubled as either a civilian city or colony ship, it seemed appropriate to include every one.

Oihan

Well don't be shy. If you have any "official" information on the other mecha/ships (not RPG stuff, but translated japaense sources), feel free to offer them. Also, big, clear screen shots of any of the mecha/ships not yet included would save me a TON of work and make it easier to add more mecha to that section.

Edited by Mr March

Going back over some of the older stuff on my website, I noticed I still don't have any high resolution scans of the VEFR-1 Electronic Warfare Valkyrie. Anyone have the ability to get me some high resolution scans of this mecha? I'm not even certain in which art book they are to be found, but any help is appreciated.

Oh, I see :) Well, it's an easy fix. What I'll do is remove the designations and instead place them inside the profiles under "Unofficial Codenames" like I did for a bunch of the other Valkyries (like "Booby Duck", "Blazer Valkyrie" etc). That's probably a more appropriate place for them, as you say.

Guest sh002

looks cool. more pics. i thought this site was down at some point but realized the website changed. glad it is still running.

Edited by sh002

I've always thought the YF-19 has no name (even unofficially)---both Alpha One and Eagle One are temporary call-signs. Same for the YF-21 as Omega One.'

PS--about the VF-0. Isn't "Zero" the official name, with Phoenix as the nickname?

Changes have been made. Make sure to "Refresh" to see them (both the Macross Plus index and the individual profiles).

David

I'm really unsure about the VF-0. I put phoenix and then added a note, but I'm not sure where "zero" stands. Hopefully the Macross Chronicle will clear it up.

David

I'm really unsure about the VF-0. I put phoenix and then added a note, but I'm not sure where "zero" stands. Hopefully the Macross Chronicle will clear it up.

It's been noted that "Phoenix" is the pet name. Now, depending on how you look at it, pet names are nicknames. Just like "Messiah" is the pet name for the VF-25. Now they are canon, but whether or not you use quotation marks (i.e. VF-0 "Phoenix" or VF-25 "Messiah") or not (i.e. VF-5000 Star Mirage) really depends on how you want to interpret that. Either one is fine.

July 23, 2008

Minor Update

Just a minor update to the Macross Mecha Manual, featuring only 14 new profiles. The update consists mainly of corrections and revisions. A portion of the existing artwork contains color errors that occur when a Photoshop PSD file is down-converted to a 256 color gif. I've corrected many of these color errors for the VF-1 Super variants, the VF-11C Protect Armor, the YF-19/VF-19A Excalibur artwork, and all the Queadluun-Rau (Film Version) pictures (both DYRL and Macross 7) feature a completely new line art scan and coloring. Many VF-1 profiles have minor color/shading improvements and the weapons/equipment pictures have been refined where needed.

Significant new material is found in the For Fans Only section. A new Thrust-to-Weight Ratio Chart has been added (thanks to Dante74) providing a rough performance comparison of the variable fighters. A new subsection of For Fans Only appears for Animated Diagrams that highlight important details of the various valkyries. New and veteran Macross fans alike are encouraged to take a look at these animated pictures to appreciate the detail that goes into Shoji Kawamori's magnificent mechanical creations. The final addition is a complete revision of the Macropedia section with improved navigation and well over double the content.

Refer to the list below for all the new profiles in this update:

Macross Frontier Section

Destroid Cheyenne Mk II

Destroid Work

Ghost Fighter (2059)

Macross Class SDF-04 Global

Macross Galaxy Colonization Ship

RVF-25 Messiah Super

Vajra Mothership

Vajra Warship

VF-25F Messiah Super

VF-25G Messiah Super

VF-25S Messiah Super

VF-27

Macross Game and Advanced Valkyrie Section

Neo Glaug

Valhalla III Stealth Submersible Strike Carrier

Additions/Corrections

Complete revision of the Splash Page.

Complete revision of the Macropedia section organized by letter with a Page Jump and 81 new entries (21st Large-Scale Super-Long-Distance Colonization Fleet (Macross Galaxy Fleet), 25th Colony Fleet/Macross Frontier Fleet, 33rd Marine Battalion, 37th Long-Distance Colonization Fleet, 67th Glruimual class branch Britai (Adoclass) Fleet, 109th Branch Fleet's 7th Aerial Armored Division, 117th Research Fleet, 118th Bodol Zer Main Fleet, AFOS, Anti-Vajra E.S.A. Munitions, Anti-UN, BDI (Brain Direct Image system), BDS (Brain Direct interface System), Bio-neural Chip, Blended Wing Body, Block 6 Cockpit, Canard, Chaff/Flare Countermeasures, Composite Material Wing, Control-Configurable Vehicle, Cybernetics, Delta Wing, Dimension Eater, Do You Remember Love?, Ecological Protection Act, Ecological Mapping, Fold Booster, Fold Fault, Forward-Swept Wing, Frontier Presidency, Galaxy Standard Value Adjustment, Gallia 4, General Galaxy, GGV, Gravity Control, Gun Pod, Heavy Quantum Reaction Cannon, High-Maneuver Missile, Holography/Volumetric Images, HOTAS, Lagrange Point, L.A.I., Laser, Mach, MBS/MacrossBroadcastingSystem, Macross Consortium, Mayan Island, Micro-Missile, Mihoshi Academy, Muzzle Velocity, New United Nations Government, Overboost, Passive Stealth, Pink Pecker Team, Pixie Team, Protodeviln War, Rail Gun/Cannon, Sharon Apple Incident, Shield (Anti-Projectile Shield), Shinsei Industry, South Ataria Island, Sniper Gun Pod, Stabilizer (Horizontal/Vertical), STOL, Stonewell Bellcom, Super-Dimension-Energy Cannon, Super Dimension Space, Supersonic Cruise (Supercruise), Thermonuclear Reaction Engine, Thrust Vectoring, Transformation, Reactive Armor, UNG, UN Forces, UN Spacy, Vajra, Variable Geometry Wing, Veil, VTOL, Wrap-Around Imaging Monitor System).

Revised the Acknowledgements section

Revised the FAQ section

Revised Updates Banner (corrected spelling; formerly "Udates" now reads "Updates", I poo you not)

Revised Macross Frontier Information Header (episode count)

Revised Macross Plus Index Button

Revised Macross Plus Banner

Revised Macross II Index with a Footnote Page

Revised VF-11C Protect Armor with missing missiles, total count not possible

Revised VF-25S Messiah Full Armor with complete missile count

Line Art Added to For Fans Only section (New Macross Class 7 & 13, 7 & 5 Comparison)

Line Art Added to For Fans Only section (YF-19, VF-19 Custom and VF-19F Comparison)

Line Art Added to Macross Quarter profile

Line Art Added to New Macross Class Colonization Ship (Macross 25/Frontier) profile

Line Art Added to RVF-25 Messiah (Battroid Mode Rear View, Head Unit)

Line Art Added to VF-25F Messiah (Battroid Color, Head Unit, Fighter Mode Top)

Line Art Added to VF-25G Messiah (Sniper Gun Pod, Head Unit)

Line Art Added to VF-25S Messiah (Fighter Mode Top)

Line Art Added to VF-25S Messiah Full Armor (Battroid Top View, GERWALK Rear View, Head Unit)

Line Art Update ARMD side view

Line Art Update VF-1A Super Valkyrie (all color pictures)

Line Art Update VF-1S Strike Valkyrie (all color pictures)

Line Art Update VF-1S Strike Hikaru Valkyrie (all color pictures)

Line Art Update VF-1S Dual Strike (For Fans Only section)

Line Art Update VF-1A "Super - Max" Valkyrie (all color pictures)

Line Art Update VF-1A "Super - Kakizaki" Valkyrie (all color pictures)

Line Art Update VF-1A "Super - Hikaru" Valkyrie (all color pictures)

Line Art Update Queadluun-Rau "Chlore Fleet"(color)

Line Art Update Queadluun-Rau (Film Version) (color)

Line Art Update VF-11C Protect Armor (all color pictures)

Line Art Update VF-17D Nightmare "Teal" (all color pictures)

Line Art Update VF-22S Sturmvogel "Max" (Battroid)

Line Art Update Varauta Large Battleship (color)

Line Art Update Varauta Standard Battleline Battleship (gigile fleet color)

Line Art Update Varauta High Speed Raiding Space Cruiser (gigile fleet color)

Line Art Update YF-19 Alpha One, FAST Pack and Fold Booster (all color pictures)

Line Art Update VF-19A Excalibur (all color pictures)

Line Art Update VB-6 Konig Monster (all color pictures)

Line Art Update VF-25S Messiah Battroid (color)

Line Art Update Sports Car (2040) (color)

Line Art Update Sports Car (2045) (color)

An F-35C with full fuel isn't "empty" by definition. Its empty thrust/weight ratio (according to L-M's website) should be around 1.15 to 1. (40,000/34,800)

I get 1.77 for an empty F-15 (best possible case, probably more like 1.68 really), and at least 1.8 for an empty F-22. F-22 is more likely 1.88 to 1.95

"Standard" takeoff numbers would be around 1.07 for the F-15.

If you want a fairly agreed-upon standard---all planes should be compared at 75% of their max weight. That is how they will actually "fight".

PS--don't believe the published numbers for the F-22's weight, and certainly not its thrust. Lockheed still lists 35,000lbs for an F119's power. And the F-35's weight is still changing.

PPS--thanks much for the new VF-25 stuff---makes it nice to have it all in one place and scaled the same.

Hmm, shouldn't Sheryl be listed as pilot for the VF-25G seeing as she did fly it out of the surface of the Vajra ship (even though she got shot down)?

Edited by d3v

Here's hoping they come out with images of the VF-25F Full Armor some time soon.

EDIT:

Actually, I wonder how hard it is to simply 'shop the VF-25F's head onto the Full Armor 25S?

EDIT #2

Hmm...

post-8290-1216816498_thumb.jpg

Edited by d3v

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was Eagle-1 the callsign Isamu used when he's still flying the VF-11B?

Maybe so, but again, what we need is a visual proof, which I didn't have. I really hope someone can post the screenshot of the scene where that name is used in Movie version (because Gubaba said so in this post)

July 23, 2008

Minor Update

If this is what you call "minor" update, March, then I don't know how awesome it will be if you going to do a "major" updates...

Again, great jobs from you March! I really likes the new Macropedia. :)

Edited by Sulendil Ang

Xeros

Hehehe, indeed. Probably the smallest update yet :)

I have a few animated gif submissions from whispo but I can't actually do them myself since I don't have any of the episodes downloaded. I'll make a small section for them in the next update.

Mangled Mess

I'm unsure about that one. I too have a feeling it might be a call sign. I might just remove it because it's an uncertainty. It's an easy fix either way.

Chief Guld Goa Bowman

Yeah, it was just some silly fun. It's like the regular VF-27 has a different head, but for now it's kinda cool to play with PS :)

David H

There's actually a few corrections I see I have to make. The real world fighters were tricky because each online source lists something totally different for a t-w ratio. I'd actually prefer a standard t-o weight for each real world fighter, in addition to empty and max. If you can help, I'd very much appreciate it.

The problem comparing ratios comes with the statisitics; most fo the valkyries only feature an empty weight. The VF-1 is the rare exception. I'd much prefer standard t-o weight for every valkyire, but it appears either those statistics don't exist or haven't been translated.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. If you can help some more, don't be shy. I'd love to refine the chart as much as possible. I'm glad you like the Frontier section. I agree, it's nice to have the mecha material from all those scanned pages categorized and easily referenced :)

d3v

Oh yeah! Good catch. I'll fix this one later today.

Dante74

lol :) Yeah, I've no idea how this one got by both me and you. It's funny how the mind works; we just input the missing letter without thinking, hehehe. But it's corrected now. So embarrassing :)

Sulendil Ang

Glad you like it. The Macropedia was long over due for revision and I'm really, REALLY happy with it now. It helps me keep a catalogue of everything in the Macross universe and makes an excellent jargon guide for the website. Best of all, the Macropedia is great for gathering all these little-known facts buried in some of the official literature and presenting them in a very easy to use reference guide. The Macropedia also makes a handy reference that's easy to cite during discussions and it can be corrected and revised as needed.

Under VF-25S Super you list its first appearance as episode 14. However Ozma used his standard Armor pack in ep.14. The only time we have seen the 25S super is at the end of ep.2 and in ep.3.

Thank you Ignacio Ocamica. I hope the Chronicle has some good Macross Zero and Frontier stuff to fill in the gaps.

Okay d3v and Master Dex,

Corrections made to VF-25G Messiah (I don't think Sheryls piloted the Super, right?) and VF-25S Super and uploaded. Make sure to hit REFRESH on your browsers. Thanks a bunch to you both for catching those. I'm grateful for the help.

Corrections made to VF-25G Messiah (I don't think Sheryls piloted the Super, right?) and VF-25S Super and uploaded. Make sure to hit REFRESH on your browsers. Thanks a bunch to you both for catching those. I'm grateful for the help.

No problem. It's... *pause for effect*... what I do.

Actually that was modeled after the O'neill-like character from Wormhole X-treme (Colonal Danning I think). Wormhole X-treme of course being a fake sci-fi series within Stargate SG-1 which is itself a parody of SG-1.

I never could get into CSI for some reason, but sure I'll take the guys place.

Let's see how it goes:

Me: Ok, case solved, the guy was murdered by an angry malcontent Zentradi. There are not fingerprints because we are looking for miclone sized ones and these would be about 2 feet wide. However we wouldn't find any because the vic was in fact killed by the Zentran while piloting a Reguld which he used to step on the victim. This explains the multiple squashed organs and the blood seeping from cracks in the cranial regions as well as the giant pod-like footprint in the ground around where the body was found.

Rest of CSI team: .... WTF!!??

Isn't Frontier the 25th large-scale, super-long-distance colonization fleet and not the 25th Long-Distance Colony Fleet?(which would make it 12 fleets before the Macross 7 fleet)

Actually I take it that there were 30 Megaroad class immigration and 25 large scale immigration fleets.

Where Megaroads have a capacity of 80,000 colonists the original NMC and later classes have an excess of a million.

Macross Frontier has 10 million colonists.