Macross Mecha Manual

Mr March

Excellent work, I like the new updates!

But you forgot to add Nastasha's VF to the Macross II section. I rewatched MII again and in episode 6 it turns out her VF is the one pictured on that Viz cover I posted a while back. The chest stripe matches the animation, but as you said, the leg stripe is up in the air since her VF is only shown with the SAP armor.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/uploads/mo...-1204819319.jpg

post-221-1204819319_thumb.jpg

Just some constructive critism to drive you to perfection. :) Don't take it wrong, I really love your site!

I have both VF-X and VF-X2's game guide with lineart so if you want to update your site with the Vahalla III, I would more than happy to scan all of it for you or anybody else.

I also have the original resin kit and can forward you copy of that manual. Just gotta dig it out of my Valkyrie Hanger.

Let me know if I can contribute and keep up the great work.

Now I wish I can find a site with details of the rest of the Macross Universe (destroids, civilian crafts, characters, races and etc... ) with picture references besides the nearly text only Macross Compendium.

Neova

There's always something... :)

Sulendil Ang

Yeah, I'm hoping Ranka's big smiling face through the fish eye lens will get everyone's attention. If that fails, I'm going to post a button of Sheryl's breasts or Minmay in the shower :)

I have almost no high resolution scans of the Advanced Valkyries. They are extremely hard to come by. Plus, I don't think there are any official color schemes. Best I could do is approximations of the customized models using the magazine scans from MW.

TheLoneWolf

Weird. I didn't realize that was in the anime, or perhaps I forgot. I know we discussed it before but I wasn't sure what the ruling was :) Anyway, that'll be an easy addition.

Neova

Sure, if you want to make some scans that would really help ease the burden off briscojr84, who works tirelessly to provide many of the scans for books I don't have (everyone give him a well deserved thank you!). Make a scan of the Vahalla and I'll take a look at it first before we go ahead with anything else. I'm very picky about scans; I have to be to get the end result looking as good as it does on the M3 :)

As for the rest of the Macross universe, that's out of my hands. I did the mecha and that was MORE than enough work. Time for some other brave fan to step up to the plate on that one :)

I don't know if this can be useful, but here you are two images taken from Animage 161 (november 1991) with lineart and color reference for the prototype VFXS Valkyrie II (an early design, from what I know, never animated in the Macross II series). Please note the traditional Super pack that will later become the SAP.

If you need more scans, I have both TIA Macross II and the MII Entertainment Bilble (with destroids lineart and color reference)

post-6533-1211795558_thumb.jpg

post-6533-1211795583_thumb.jpg

Ignacio Ocamica

Awww, why thank you :wub:

1/1 Low Vis Lurker

The variable glaug sure looks a lot better in color :)

I'd be honored with a sticky for my humble website thread. We can always hope :)

darkrealmbahamut

I'm an atheist, so very little chance of that ever happening (thank gawd, hahaha). I'm glad you like the website so much. It's tunred out better than even I first envisioned it.

Nexx Stalker

That's not a great scan. It's a little small and faded. I'll work on it a bit with PS and see how it comes out, but I doubt I'll be able to use it. Nonetheless, I appreciate the effort. I could use some scans of the VF-2JA Icarus and the Mardook Mothership if you have them, but I need them in high resolution (typically 600 DPI or higher).

Nexx Stalker

That's not a great scan. It's a little small and faded. I'll work on it a bit with PS and see how it comes out, but I doubt I'll be able to use it. Nonetheless, I appreciate the effort. I could use some scans of the VF-2JA Icarus and the Mardook Mothership if you have them, but I need them in high resolution (typically 600 DPI or higher).

Yep, it's faded but it's not my fault: the copy of the magazine I bought back in 1991 had that page (and only THAT page) with an annoying "blur" effect due to wrong printing process. It can't be helped and can't be better than that.

As for the 1JA and Mothership, working on it. Will 600 dpi be enough or do you want them in even higher resolution?

Depends upon the size of the pictures on the page. If the individual drawings are large enough, 600 DPI is usually sufficient. If however they are a little small, it's better to scan higher. You have the original pages, so you'll have to make a judgment call.

Edit- Whoops, wrong member.

Edited by Mr March

It's taken from Macross Frontier episode 2, when Ranka is talking with Ozuma at the medical center. Specifically it's a close up shot of Ranka, where the animators draw her as if she was filmed with a fish-eye lens to create a dramatic and slightly comical effect.

It's taken from Macross Frontier episode 2, when Ranka is talking with Ozuma at the medical center. Specifically it's a close up shot of Ranka, where the animators draw her as if she was filmed with a fish-eye lens to create a dramatic and slightly comical effect.

Oh ok, i remember now. :) but taken out of its context, it sure looks like she has CRAZY eyes. i mean, "i'm gonna eat you now" crazy. yikes! :D

I'm trying to grab visitor's attention so they go to the For Fans Only section more, since it contains so many pictures that can answer the questions that fans have. I'm hoping Ranka's face works. If it doesn't, I'll try naked animated breasts (but then everyone would obsess over the button instead of the section) :)

I'm trying to grab visitor's attention so they go to the For Fans Only section more, since it contains so many pictures that can answer the questions that fans have. I'm hoping Ranka's face works. If it doesn't, I'll try naked animated breasts (but then everyone would obsess over the button instead of the section) :)

You'd have to make it into a mouse-over though. :p

haha. good move. it works. it's the first thing i clicked when i visited your page.

true, if you change it with nanase's breasts, the BOING club would never click on it. :p

Lots of nice specs and images for the mecha in the macross universe that you won't get from compendium.

Lots of great fan-colored images, but be careful on relying on the non-Compendium specs. Those non-Compendium specs has the same issues as those in mahq.net--they often fill in blanks in official materials with fan-invented or incorrect info.

Edited by oreillyrel

Depends upon the size of the pictures on the page. If the individual drawings are large enough, 600 DPI is usually sufficient. If however they are a little small, it's better to scan higher. You have the original pages, so you'll have to make a judgment call.

Edit- Whoops, wrong member.

Scans are gonna take a little more than I expected, because I have only Entertainment Bible 51 handy at the moment and to do some good mages I would have to stretch the pages too much (I'm on of those sad guys who touch their books with extreme care). On the other hand, the 2ja pictures in TIA are clearer and bigger, but unfortunately I won't be able to scan them until I go home (my trip back was sheduled for last weekend but I had to postpone it).

Lots of great fan-colored images, but be careful on relying on the non-Compendium specs. Those non-Compendium specs has the same issues as those in mahq.net--they often fill in blanks in official materials with fan-invented or incorrect info.
I assure you Mr March checks his info very carefully he gets his specs from the official materials.

The Macross Mecha Manual is an unofficial fansite and will always remain as such, so it is not meant to be absolutely, totally, 100% perfect (and this is stated on the website explicitly). It's not always possible to write readable vehicle profiles that strictly adhere only to known facts, particularly when no such facts exist. When some creative liscense is used it's typically done in good faith or tongue-in-cheek and largely limited to what occurs in the anime productions themselves. When unofficial information is added, I make every effort to distinguish it.

As for the statistics, yes, there are a few rare examples of additions which aren't necessarily "official" (such as missile counts for some of the armored/super systems) but 99% of all the statistics on the M3 are taken directly from the Macross Compendium and are all canon.

It's also important to note that there are official statistics and texts now included on the M3 that previously had no english translations. These were part of the last major update and include most of the Macross 7 fleet ships (Einstein, Hollywood, Mark Twain, Three Star, West Point) as well as all of the Macross II section. Very special thanks go out to Macross World members cyde01 and Seto Kaiba for translating and obtaining translations for these profiles.

Great site! I love the motivational posters. But I was hoping to see one of Leon saying "Killing a girls dreams is easier than fighting space bugs" or something close to that. I know I saw it in a thread and I forgot to save it.

Mr. March, was that you that made that poster I speak of?

I assure you Mr March checks his info very carefully he gets his specs from the official materials.

It's also important to note that there are official statistics and texts now included on the M3 that previously had no english translations. These were part of the last major update and include most of the Macross 7 fleet ships (Einstein, Hollywood, Mark Twain, Three Star, West Point) as well as all of the Macross II section. Very special thanks go out to Macross World members cyde01 and Seto Kaiba for translating and obtaining translations for these profiles.

At least in the case of the recent Macross 7, Macross Frontier, and Macross II additions, there are specs that are not from the Compendium or the official Japanese materials, but are not disinguished as such. In fact, some of the specs are misattributed to Japanese sources when they are not in the sources. Like Mr. March said earlier, this is an unofficial website. The trouble is that unofficial stats are mixed in with official stats, and are not properly distinguished.

Edited by oreillyrel

The Macross Frontier section is ovbiously a continual work-in-progress, so it's understandably incomplete and filled with some basic information only (and speculations are indicated as such). The recent Macross 7 additions were translated from official japanese books. The Macross II information was taken from the Entertainment Bible #51. I'm not sure what you're referring to specifically, but if you can assist in the translations or debate the accuracy, that would be a big help.

The Macross Frontier section is ovbiously a continual work-in-progress, so it's understandably incomplete and filled with some basic information only (and speculations are indicated as such). The recent Macross 7 additions were translated from official japanese books. The Macross II information was taken from the Entertainment Bible #51. I'm not sure what you're referring to specifically, but if you can assist in the translations or debate the accuracy, that would be a big help.

The problem with the Macross Frontier section is not that its incomplete, but it adds text that aren't in the official material. For example, the Macross Quarter copies in speculative material from the separate New Macross Class. The same goes for the Macross 7 additions--all the power/engine stats are incorrect or not from official sources. The Macross II information are not all taken from the Entertainment Bible #51, even though many of the stats are mistakenly attributed to that book. For example, the VF-2SS section has stats that are specifically but mistakenly credited to that book ("Translated information taken from Entertainment Bible #51"), when that book doesn't have those stats at all. They actually come from the flawed American RPG stats.

Edited by oreillyrel

I'm really confused.

First off, the Macross Quarter entry on the Macross Mecha Manual has virtually no stats at all. Also, the Macross Quarter is NOT a New Macross Class vessel; the Macross Quarter is a totally new class of ship.

Second, the statistics for all the Macross 7 fleet ships (Einstein, Hollywood, Mark Twain, Sunnyflower, Three Star, West Point) are all official numbers taken directly from japanese art books, as are the translated text descriptions. In fact, many of the numbers for length and displacement are written in english within the original japanese publications, so I can confirm they are 100% accurate. And like I said above, not even the Macross Compendium has yet translated these source materials, which is why they are not on that site (a rare example where the M3 has jumped just a little bit ahead of the Compendium). The statistics are official nonetheless; see the following picture...

Exhibit A

Now regarding the Entertainment Bible #51, I've relied upon translation help for that book which I don't own myself. But if you can confirm that certain figures are not official, I'll certainly bring it to the attention of the fans assisting me in translations. However, since you were in error about the recent Macross 7 ships I have to ask that you be more discriminating. We cannot discount figures out of turn just because they may have appeared earlier on old RPG websites. Some RPG figures MAY or MAY NOT be accurate japanese translations and they have to be debunked on a case-by-case basis.

Which is why I've ignored any and all RPG websites in building my siote. The source information (via the Macross Compendium) is the only 100% accurate source we can rely upon. I've used the MC for my site and not used any RPG book or RPG stats in the creation of the Macross Mecha Manual (as far as I'm aware). The offical length of the VF-1 Valkyrie is 14.23 meters; that number appears on my website because it's officially correct, NOT because some RPG website also contains the same figure. It's important to understand the difference.

I'm really confused.

First off, the Macross Quarter entry on the Macross Mecha Manual has virtually no stats at all. Also, the Macross Quarter is NOT a New Macross Class vessel; the Macross Quarter is a totally new class of ship.

That's the issue. The Macross Quarter is not a New Macross Class vessel, but the Macross Mecha Manual says it has the same power plant manufacturers as a copy-and-paste from the New Macross Class stats. That's not from official materials for the Macross Quarter.

Second, the statistics for all the Macross 7 fleet ships (Einstein, Hollywood, Mark Twain, Sunnyflower, Three Star, West Point) are all official numbers taken directly from japanese art books, as are the translated text descriptions. In fact, many of the numbers for length and displacement are written in english within the original japanese publications, so I can confirm they are 100% accurate. And like I said above, not even the Macross Compendium has yet translated these source materials, which is why they are not on that site (a rare example where the M3 has jumped just a little bit ahead of the Compendium). The statistics are official nonetheless; see the following picture...

Exhibit A

You misunderstand which stats are unofficial. The Macross Mecha Manual's text descriptions of all of these ships has material that are not translated from official Japanese material for those ships. They list companies that aren't in the official Japanese material, instead of the ones that are.

Now regarding the Entertainment Bible #51, I've relied upon translation help for that book which I don't own myself. But if you can confirm that certain figures are not official, I'll certainly bring it to the attention of the fans assisting me in translations. However, since you were in error about the recent Macross 7 ships I have to ask that you be more discriminating. We cannot discount figures out of turn just because they may have appeared earlier on old RPG websites. Some RPG figures MAY or MAY NOT be accurate japanese translations and they have to be debunked on a case-by-case basis.

Which is why I've ignored any and all RPG websites in building my siote. The source information (via the Macross Compendium) is the only 100% accurate source we can rely upon. I've used the MC for my site and not used any RPG book or RPG stats in the creation of the Macross Mecha Manual (as far as I'm aware). The offical length of the VF-1 Valkyrie is 14.23 meters; that number appears on my website because it's officially correct, NOT because some RPG website also contains the same figure. It's important to understand the difference.

Unfortunately, the Macross Mecha Manual does have RPG stats that aren't from official Japanese sources, and even mistakenly credits them as coming from official Japanese sources. For example, the Macross Mecha Manual lists the VF-2SS as "Fighter Mode: wingspan variable 7.9 meter to 12.2 meters; height 5.2 meters; length 15.8 meters" and claims this is "Translated information taken from Entertainment Bible #51." These are all RPG stats and not listed in Entertainment Bible #51.

Edited by oreillyrel

That's the issue. The Macross Quarter is not a New Macross Class vessel, but the Macross Mecha Manual says it has the same power plant manufacturers as a copy-and-paste from the New Macross Class stats. That's not from official materials for the Macross Quarter.

You misunderstand which stats are unofficial. The Macross Mecha Manual's text descriptions of all of these ships has material that are not translated from official Japanese material for those ships. They list companies that aren't in the official Japanese material, instead of the ones that are.

Unfortunately, the Macross Mecha Manual does have RPG stats that aren't from official Japanese sources, and even mistakenly credits them as coming from official Japanese sources. For example, the Macross Mecha Manual lists the VF-2SS as "Fighter Mode: wingspan variable 7.9 meter to 12.2 meters; height 5.2 meters; length 15.8 meters" and claims this is "Translated information taken from Entertainment Bible #51." These are all RPG stats and not listed in Entertainment Bible #51.

Talk is cheap, please provide proof.

*Waits for proof, taps fingers on desk...*

Talk is cheap, please provide proof.

*Waits for proof, taps fingers on desk...*

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Macross_Quarter

Notice it doesn't list the power plant stuff that the Macross Mecha Manual incorrectly does.

Macross 7 Animation Materials, pg. 160-170

Actually, you can just look at the link above for the Einstein. (It's page 168.) Notice it doesn't list the power plant stuff that the Macross Mecha Manual incorrectly does.

Entertainment Bible.51 Super Dimension Fortress Macross, pg. 4-7, 97-99

Ironically, I'm being asked to provide proof of the negative. The burden of proof actually belongs to those who claim these stuff are official, when they are not in the official Japanese sources.

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Macross_Quarter

Macross 7 Animation Materials, pg. 160-170

Actually, you can just look at the link above for the Einstein. (It's page 168.) Notice it doesn't list the power plant stuff that the Macross Mecha Manual incorrectly does.

Fair enough, translate please....

Oh wait why don't we simply ask Clyde01. He is listed as the translator for the info on this ship... He will know where he translated the info from.

Funny how those who can-do, and those that can't are the critics... :rolleyes:

Edited by Zinjo