Macross Mecha Manual

Mr March

Nonetheless, they are all canon-enough to include on the M3. I'm sure everyone will agree they are a pleasant surprise :)

Thanks for the response!!!

I'm missing the Mac Plus TIAS (the've just shipped from Hong Kong ^_^ ) so I didn't knew these existed. They're a great surprise!

I like both schemes.

Very nice work, Mr. March! I spent about an hour and a half last night (well past my bedtime!) checking out your updates. Top notch.

I have two questions for you:

1) Is the 'Virgin Road' valk listed anywhere? I didn't see it listed as either an 1A or 1J. This may be opening a can of worms...

2) How the heck do you manage the time between lending your help here and updating the M3? :lol:

Thanks for the response!!!

I'm missing the Mac Plus TIAS (the've just shipped from Hong Kong ^_^ ) so I didn't knew these existed. They're a great surprise!

Hey, no problem. Yeah, I'm missing the books too (I've been borrowing). But I think I just got a hold of both. I'm glad you like the profiles I made for them. I think they both turned out well.

Very nice work, Mr. March! I spent about an hour and a half last night (well past my bedtime!) checking out your updates. Top notch.

I have two questions for you:

1) Is the 'Virgin Road' valk listed anywhere? I didn't see it listed as either an 1A or 1J. This may be opening a can of worms...

2) How the heck do you manage the time between lending your help here and updating the M3? :lol:

That's a fine geek tradition and no better subject than Macross as an excuse, I say :)

Here's some answers for ya:

1) Yeah, I've been dreading this one :) No, the Virgin Road Valkyrie isn't there. I debated whether or not I'd include it a long time ago and decided against it. At the time, I still had so many more profiles yet to do and to be honest, I was sick to death of coloring the VF-1 after all those variants. To be honest, I'm not even sure if the Virgin Road is supposed to be a "VF-1J" or a "VF-1D". I suppose it can't hurt to revisit the idea. It sure would make a nice addition :)

2) Easy; I'm often doing both at the same time. Multi-tasking my good man! :):lol:

So there are DYRL movie books out there.

There is both a Macross Flashback 2012 art book and a Macross The Movie: DYRL? art book. I own the Macross The Movie: DYRL? book, but I'm either trying to obtain scans from or own a complete copy of the Flashback 2012 book.

Macross Flashback 2012 art book

Macross The Movie: DYRL? art book (aka "The Gold Book")

Oops, I made a typo there on the "1A/1D" reference, which you so astutely picked up anyway. Thanks for the reply, and thanks for all of your hard work. Cheers.

I just made up a VF-1J Virgin Road fighter picture in about 10 minutes :rolleyes: Why this custom seemed so daunting at the time, I'll never know. I must have REALLY been sick of the VF-1 at the time :)

vf-1j-virginroad-fighter.gif

Whatdya think? :)

There is both a Macross Flashback 2012 art book and a Macross The Movie: DYRL? art book. I own the Macross The Movie: DYRL? book, but I'm either trying to obtain scans from or own a complete copy of the Flashback 2012 book.

Macross Flashback 2012 art book

Macross The Movie: DYRL? art book (aka "The Gold Book")

HEH! I feel like an idiot now. >_<"

I've found a copy of 2012, but it's really over priced.

http://www.nichibeianime.com/index.shtml

BTW: I was surfing through the Manual and noticed that you have several Valkyrie's in different shows than what is shown in the official materials. Are you placing them by appearance?

BTW: I was surfing through the Manual and noticed that you have several Valkyrie's in different shows than what is shown in the official materials. Are you placing them by appearance?

Only $75 dollars? :) Yeah, I'll pass, but thanks for the link anyway. That's way too expensive for the few pictures I can actually use from that book.

I'm not sure I understand your second question. When you say "Valkyries in different shows" are you referring to VF-1 Valkyries like the "Dark Bird" and "Command Colors"? Or are you talking about certain pieces of line art that I had to modify myself in order to create a picture for that particular variant (like the VF-1A Film Versions without FAST Packs)? I'm having trouble deciphering this one.

Well for example the VE-1 Elint Seeker is placed under DYRL. But in the Macross Design Works AB it's dated at 1984 which would place it under SDF. Which is why I asked if you were placing them by their first appearance on screen.

Well for example the VE-1 Elint Seeker is placed under DYRL. But in the Macross Design Works AB it's dated at 1984 which would place it under SDF. Which is why I asked if you were placing them by their first appearance on screen.

Ah, now I understand. Well, 99% of everything on the Macross Mecha Manual right now is directly from the anime television series or movies. So each mecha will remain placed within the category corresponding to their first animated appearance. For those few mecha that were never animated (like the SDF-2 for example) they will be placed in the category most suitable to their time period in the chronology.

I just made up a VF-1J Virgin Road fighter picture in about 10 minutes :rolleyes: Why this custom seemed so daunting at the time, I'll never know. I must have REALLY been sick of the VF-1 at the time :) Whatdya think? :)

Your artwork looks great. The real sticky question, is should I look it up as an 1D or an 1J? :lol:

*edit - Your art is that of a recolored 1D, but there is a bit of 1J-ness going on too... What's it going to be? And, yes, I'm trying to make trouble for you ;)

Edited by Hiriyu

Hiriyu

Making trouble, huh? Well right back at ya! I'm not going to tell you if it's "D" or "J". You're just gonna have to go crazy waiting :):p

Hehehe, just kidding. The picture I made is actually a VF-1J, but the cockpit and center dorsal fuselage have been replaced with VF-1D line art. I did the same for the GERWALK and Battroid mode yesterday. I'll probably make both a D and a J and just put them in the same profile. Though officially, I'm fairly certain the Valkyrie is supposed to be a VF-1D. I'm at work right now so I can't show you what I've done so far, but I should probably wait for the next update to show more.

Clearly a two seater in the original Macross must be a VF-1D. It may be colored like Max's VF-1J, but the design is still a VF-1D.

As far as I know, the official model of the Virgin Road is a VF-1D. Though the craft isn't a true VF-1D since more has been altered than just the paint job (the four "ports" on the dorsal fuselage/chest have been removed). At any rate, here's the official model:

Linkage

HEH! I feel like an idiot now. >_<"

Well, that book (used) consistently sells on Yahoo Japan for 5000 - 6500 Yen, so after the shipping costs and profit margin that is a fair price for a new copy of a still very popular book in Japan.

Believe it or not.

Hiriyu

Making trouble, huh? Well right back at ya! I'm not going to tell you if it's "D" or "J". You're just gonna have to go crazy waiting :):p

Hehehe, just kidding. The picture I made is actually a VF-1J, but the cockpit and center dorsal fuselage have been replaced with VF-1D line art. I did the same for the GERWALK and Battroid mode yesterday. I'll probably make both a D and a J and just put them in the same profile. Though officially, I'm fairly certain the Valkyrie is supposed to be a VF-1D. I'm at work right now so I can't show you what I've done so far, but I should probably wait for the next update to show more.

As far as I know, the official model of the Virgin Road is a VF-1D. Though the craft isn't a true VF-1D since more has been altered than just the paint job (the four "ports" on the dorsal fuselage/chest have been removed).

Hmm, makes me wonder if that is the ever elusive "B" variant similar to the 2 seater VF-0B of Macross Zero? It doesn't have the tell tale elements found on the "D" as the head and the chest vents as already stated. Although the VF-0B uses an "A" head instead with a single laser cannon as opposed to the twin cannons on the Virgin Road variant.

Well, that book (used) consistently sells on Yahoo Japan for 5000 - 6500 Yen, so after the shipping costs and profit margin that is a fair price for a new copy of a still very popular book in Japan.

Believe it or not.

Ouch! That's disheartening. On the other hand, it is a rare book, so a high price is to be expected. It's just that ignoring the labor involved, the M3 has been a very low cost endeavour (currently under $100). I'm hesitant to spend so much money just for a single source book with only a little usable line art for my website. Maybe when I get a better job here, I'll seek it out.

Hmm, makes me wonder if that is the ever elusive "B" variant similar to the 2 seater VF-0B of Macross Zero? It doesn't have the tell tale elements found on the "D" as the head and the chest vents as already stated. Although the VF-0B uses an "A" head instead with a single laser cannon as opposed to the twin cannons on the Virgin Road variant.

I'll just create a VF-1D Virgin Road Battroid and a special VF-1J Virgin Road Battroid. Officially it'll be a D, but the J will be there as a "what if" kinda thing.

Edited by Mr March

Ouch! That's disheartening. On the other hand, it is a rare book, so a high price is to be expected. It's just that ignoring the labor involved, the M3 has been a very low cost endeavour (currently under $100). I'm hesitant to spend so much money just for a single source book with only a little usable line art for my website. Maybe when I get a better job here, I'll seek it out.

I'll just create a VF-1D Virgin Road Battroid and a special VF-1J Virgin Road Battroid. Officially it'll be a D, but the J will be there as a "what if" kinda thing.

What's with the virgin road thing. I must be a dolt since it looks like Max's 1J to mee.

What's with the virgin road thing. I must be a dolt since it looks like Max's 1J to mee.

It's a mystery plane, because it's a two seater, but it doesn't have the chest of a VF-1D, it just looks like a two seater VF-1J in the anime.

It's a mystery plane, because it's a two seater, but it doesn't have the chest of a VF-1D, it just looks like a two seater VF-1J in the anime.

In which episode do we actually see that craft?

EDIT : Forget I asked, I just happened to miss an earlier post explaning its existance.

Edited by Lonewolf

As far as I know, the official model of the Virgin Road is a VF-1D. Though the craft isn't a true VF-1D since more has been altered than just the paint job (the four "ports" on the dorsal fuselage/chest have been removed).

I honestly thought those little black trapezoids were part of the paint job.

I honestly thought those little black trapezoids were part of the paint job.

Yeah, it's hard to say. My guess is they are depressions/vents/something, especially based on that particular drawing technique used on all the other line art. If I didn't already know what they aren't for certain, I might assume they were missile ports :)

Yeah, it's hard to say. My guess is they are depressions/vents/something, especially based on that particular drawing technique used on all the other line art. If I didn't already know what they aren't for certain, I might assume they were missile ports :)

Well the VF-1D was an ECM, electronics warfare fighter as well as used as a live round training craft, if I remember correctly. The "ports" could have been for additional EDCM antenna or mission specific modules. I tend to speculate the Virgin Road variant was the VF-1B a 2 seat "strike bomber" variant (similar to the role the F-16 had in the airforce) , but I have no documentation to base that on.

Edited by Zinjo

Now that's Robotech thinking right there.

And since when has the VF-1D been an ECM craft? Isn't that the job of its sister design the VEFR-1?

Well the VF-1D was an ECM, electronics warfare fighter as well as used as a live round training craft, if I remember correctly. The "ports" could have been for additional EDCM antenna or mission specific modules. I tend to speculate the Virgin Road variant was the VF-1B a 2 seat "strike bomber" variant (similar to the role the F-16 had in the airforce) , but I have no documentation to base that on.

The other thing is, we know that the VF series has a removable crew-cabin/cockpit compartment. It potentially could be that the Valks are modular, allowing a 2-seater cabin module to be placed on a 1-seater's chassis.

How is speculating on the function of the dorsal/chest objects on the VF-1D "Robotech thinking"? Whenever a fully black detail like that appears on Macross mecha line art, it's either a vent or a thruster. Trapezoid shaped details like that in particular are often missile ports or they could be navigation lights. Like I said, if we didn't already know better, it would be most probable they were missile ports given their shape. But since we do know better, we know they are not weapons. My money is still on vents of some sort or additional thrusters.

The other thing is, we know that the VF series has a removable crew-cabin/cockpit compartment. It potentially could be that the Valks are modular, allowing a 2-seater cabin module to be placed on a 1-seater's chassis.

This is not a bad guess and you're right that the nose sections are removable. Though you'll notice the VF-1D is slightly different in more than just the nose section. The dorsal/chest area lacks that prominent "notch" across the "neckline" in Battroid mode. It's just one solid line, whereas the other Valkyries all have a depression. On the other hand, it may be possible to fit a D-style nose cone on another VF-1 and just have a slightly longer "waist" in battroid configuration :)

And since when has the VF-1D been an ECM craft? Isn't that the job of its sister design the VEFR-1?

Robotech thinking is making a speculation and then proclaiming it to be canon despite any official documentation or lack thereof.

As for the VEFR-1 it was never featured in any episodes (AFAIK) and if you look at all the available line art, it sports a pre-production gun pod, so even that craft could be considered speculation. The ES-11D Catseye (which was animated) looks very similar in equipment and could easily have served that role during the war, but it was never stated. Then in DYRL it appears that the fleet operations adopted the VE-1 for that very role, however that was during the post SW1 era.

This is not a bad guess and you're right that the nose sections are removable. Though you'll notice the VF-1D is slightly different in more than just the nose section. The dorsal/chest area lacks that prominent "notch" across the "neckline" in Battroid mode. It's just one solid line, whereas the other Valkyries all have a depression. On the other hand, it may be possible to fit a D-style nose cone on another VF-1 and just have a slightly longer "waist" in battroid configuration :)

Wouldn't that affect how the hips attach to the nose? The nose would be longer wouldn't it?

Yeah, the waist would be much longer and it would be kind silly looking. But it might work :)

I suspect the reason why there is no notch for the head on the "D" is because that is where the rest of the nose sits and it allows for the same hydraulic extenders to work with that fighter as well as the rest of the variants.

vf-1d-battroid_small.gifvf-1s-battroid_small.gif

Ooohhh, nice catch AC. If I ever get high resolution scans of the VEFR-1 I'm gonna use this picture for color reference (red dome!).

btw, I haven't forgotten about your picks. They'll be in the next update.